Linux-Advocacy Digest #572, Volume #33           Fri, 13 Apr 01 04:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day. (GreyCloud)
  Re: Blame it all on Microsoft ("Dennis O'Connor")
  Re: Blame it all on Microsoft ("Dennis O'Connor")
  Re: Pete Goodwin is in good company (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Pete Goodwin is in good company (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day. (GreyCloud)
  Re: So much for modules in Linux! (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: So much for modules in Linux! (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: So much for modules in Linux! (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Inktomi Webmap -- Apache has 60% now. (GreyCloud)
  Re: Inktomi Webmap -- Apache has 60% now. (GreyCloud)
  Re: So much for modules in Linux! (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: So much for modules in Linux! (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Blame it all on Microsoft (GreyCloud)
  Re: Pete Goodwin is in good company (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: This is a fucking miracle! CD-R Follow up story (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: hmm getting tired of this! (Pete Goodwin)
  DOWN TO THE SIG LINE (Was: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft ("2 + 2")
  Re: Blame it all on Microsoft (GreyCloud)
  Re: This is a fucking miracle! CD-R Follow up story (Matthew Gardiner)
  Re: hmm getting tired of this! (Matthew Gardiner)

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 00:12:11 -0700

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, silverback
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Wed, 11 Apr 2001 15:15:09 GMT
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:22:42 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sam A. Kersh)
> >wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >>I've come to the conclusion based on silverback's posts over the last
> >>year that he is a closet communist.  He touts "welfare" aka
> >
> >and yer wrong again fuckhead
> >
> >>redistribution of wealth through "progressive taxation."  Falsely call
> >
> >sorry progressive taxation is not redistribution
>
> *Any* taxation of any type is redistribution, if only in the limited
> sense of distributing money otherwise spendable by the individual
> receiving it [*] to a government agency which can use it as it wishes,
> as opposed to the individual spending it as he wishes.  Kind of a
> "guns" versus "butter" issue, in a twisted sort of way.
>
> Progressive taxation is merely the increasing of the marginal taxation
> rate as income increases (the first dollar is not taxed, the first
> dollar after the exemption limit is taxed at 15%, the last dollar may
> very well be taxed at 39.6% if one's income is high enough).  For
> another example: the Social Security tax is a regressive tax, as it
> has a cutoff at about the $66,000 level; any dollars earned above that
> amount are not subject to the tax.
>
> The objective of such taxation is to ensure that those who are
> "truly needy" (a phrase from the 1980's) are not lost in the shuffle,
> and that government can continue functioning at the levels we enjoy today.
>
> (This may or may not be a good thing, depending.  For a historical
> perspective, IIRC it was a 2% stamp tax which incited the Boston Tea Party.
> Our current income tax is almost 20 times that amount, at its topmost level.
> It was also claimed during the passage of Amendment 16 that the
> income tax would never go above 10% (the original amount was 3%)
> and no limit was ever put in.  Whoops!)
>
> [snip]
>
> [*] not all money received is earned income, especially if the receiver
>     accepts bribes and kickbacks.  But even dividend money and
>     interest money is suspect; at most, one has put up capital for
>     someone else (the bank) to use as its wishes, paying the person
>     a fee every so often (the interest) for the privilege of pooling
>     everyone's money in a more central location and making it available
>     for lending; those that borrow, of course, pay interest -- more
>     interest than the individual investors are receiving in their
>     savings accounts.
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random misquote here
> EAC code #191       6d:08h:27m actually running Linux.
>                     The EAC doesn't exist, but they're still watching you.

Kind of like cooking frogs... you stick em in cold water and bring the
heat up real slow.  If you throw them in boiling water they'd just jump
out.

From: "Dennis O'Connor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 00:12:37 -0700

"Peter da Silva" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote ...
> Aaron, old bean, would you mind editing the messages you're replying to just
> a tad? Thanks.

Is it just me, or is "Aaron R Kulkis" on anyone else's
send-resume-direct-to-trashcan list ?  Between the
crossposting, the rants, and the abusive .sig, there
is no way I'd agree to hiring him, no matter how smart
he may be or may think he is.
--
Dennis O'Connor                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Vanity Web Page http://www.primenet.com/~dmoc/

------------------------------

From: "Dennis O'Connor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 00:15:09 -0700

"Peter da Silva" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:9b5cbi$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> If it was anyone but Microsoft, they'd have been tried for perjury.

Well, anyone but Microsoft or Bill Clinton, maybe.

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Pete Goodwin is in good company
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 06:57:24 GMT

Chad Everett wrote:

> You didn't answer the question though.  Did it configure all by itself on
> Windows or did you have to do some manual configuration.  By the way,
> according to your own posts it works flawlessly on linux too...but you
> need to start the DHCP manually after other services.  You're just having
> a heck of a time figuring out how to have your DHCP work at the right
> place in startup scripts.  Like Winnie the Pooh says: think, think, think.

Manual configuration as in:

(i) set first card to DHCP
(ii) set address of second card

reboot (yeah, I know)

it works!

And on Linux:

(i) set first card to DHCP
(ii) set address of second card

reboot (again, I know, I know)

oh dear! It doesn't work!

--
Pete
Running on SuSE 7.1, Linux 2.4, KDE 2.1

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 06:58:07 GMT

Roy Culley wrote:

> Pete appears to be the LCD of cumputer users. Linux
> distributers/developers should use him as a beta tester. If it works for
> Pete then it will work for anyone.

8) sounds right to me!

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 00:17:01 -0700

Kurt Lochner wrote:

> Fraud Robertson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> again twisted the meaning of:
> >
> > silverback wrote:

> > <etc,... snip>

> > > nope, the Sierra club is hardly a corporation buttfuck.
> >
> > From http://outingleaders.sierraclub.org:8082/Common/ins_manual/index.asp;
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >   The Sierra Club, which includes the chapters, groups, and sections,
> >   is considered one corporation under California corporation law.
>
> <sigh> I let the disengneuous fraud out of my kill-file, and he's
> still trying to misrepresent even the simplest of concepts as some
> kind of defense for his intentional ignorance..
>
> --What part of "not-for-profit" do you not yet comprehend, Fraud?

Glens just pulling everybodies leg.

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: So much for modules in Linux!
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 07:00:44 GMT

Grant Fischer wrote:

> What exactly did you do? Your initial messages don't mention this
> article at all, and your latest message confuses it with boot.local.
> I don't have a lot of confidence that you "did what the article
> suggested." I have less confidence that you bothered to figure
> out how to make the tip work for 7.1.

(i) I tried what the article suggested, it did not work - why don't you
believe me?
(ii) SuSE tech support suggest boot.local, it did not work.

> List out your current /etc/init.d/rc5.d directory, for example.
> My SuSE 7.1 has that as the default run-level. Also, have you
> removed dhclient again from boot.local?

I start DHCP with dhcpcd eth1 manually after everything has started up.

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 07:02:47 GMT

Roy Culley wrote:

> Until recently I used SuSE Linux exclusively. I only had a static IP
> address conection at that time so never used SuSE with DHCP. I cannot
> believe that YAST doesn't know how to setup an interface for DHCP. In
> fact I don't believe it. SuSE users should never need to worry about
> startup scripts at all unless they are working with things that aren't
> a part of a standard SuSE system.

I cannot believe a Linux distribution would release something that mangles
the drivers for two network cards because it loads DHCP or a firewall
first. That's SuSE for you.

> Well that is patently clear. Does his employer know this. :-)

Obviously not. Otherwise they wouldn't give me a 20% pay rise.

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 07:03:46 GMT

Roy Culley wrote:

> You mean you don't even know if you own a specific book. You are a
> pathetic little cretin me thinks.

Here we go. Out come the insults. You can bet it starts and ALWAYS a Linux
Advocate starts it.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Inktomi Webmap -- Apache has 60% now.
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 00:25:09 -0700

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> > >
> > > "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > >
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > defacement
> two

> http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.ols2.software-acq.compaq.com+

> Compaq
> > > Tru64

> intrusion.

> that
> > > was
> > > attack,
> into
> OS
> > > the

> exploit
> > > "

> http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.ols2.software-acq.compaq.com+

> with
> > > Apache

> and
> say
> difficult.

> the
> > > like

> > > You appear to be blind.  Look at the bottom of the page where it says
> "OS,
> > > Web Hosting History".
> > >
> > > See that table that says "Compaq Tru64" next to "Apache/1.3.11 (Unix)"
> next
> > > to "25-Mar-2001"?
> >
> > I did. It says IIs ... that ain't UNIX my boy.
>
> Now you're just plain lying.  It's right there in the table at the bottom of
> the page.
>
> http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.ols2.software-acq.compaq.com+
>
> It says quite clearly that on March 25th, 2001
> www.ols2.software-acq.compaq.com was running Apache/1.3.11 under True64.
> Saying otherwise is purely stupid.

Again... it says IIS.... is that UNIX???

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 00:26:00 -0700

Tim Kelley wrote:

> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>  Just a note about security.
>
> Apache does have a far better record, having 60% of the market and about 5%
> of the defacements, with IIS having ~20% of the market and 80% of
> defacements.
>
> MS advocates will claim this is due to poor admins, but the truth is that
> since MS includes features that break applications in their updates, it may
> well be impossible for an NT admin to update his server!
>
> for example, I am running IIS 3 for one application.  It is the sort of app
> that has to be open to the internet and is only certified to run with IIS3.
> I am too scared to install any service pack higher than 3 on this server
> because the application is quirky enough as it is.
>
> You don't have these sort of problems with linux / apache.  If you get
> cracked, there's usually no excuse.  This does not hold for NT.
>
> > Good news!  Apache now has 60.33% of the total server market,
> > compared to Microsoft-IIS's 25.26% share.  Netscape-Enterprise
> > is a distant third at 3.79%.
> >
> > http://www.inktomi.com/webmap/
> >
> > Unfortunately, there is no information regarding secure webservers.
> >

> --
> Tim Kelley
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Now tell that to Erik!

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 07:06:14 GMT

Roy Culley wrote:

> Of course he can't if you won't look for help in the appropriate place.
> Did you ask for help on the SuSE english mailing list? Of course not as
> then you would have nothing to complain about. All the problems you have
> are trivial. One problem you have is that you somehow manage to screw up
> any Linux installation you do. Then you just complain in c.o.l.a. Grow up.
> You would learn a lot more if you actively sought help in newsgroups and
> mailing lists that are relevant to your problems.

Lest we forget - I am not here asking for help. I pointed that out in my
first post. You did read that, didn't you?

My point is Linux doesn't make it very easy to configure. It gets harder
when a distro manages to shoot itself in the foot. That's what I'm here to
complain about.

If the problems were trivial, seems to me I would have fixed them by now.

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 07:08:24 GMT

GreyCloud wrote:

> Nope,... definitely not flatfish+++, thats for sure.

Terry Porter must be real thick if he thinks I'm flatfish. Can't he even
check the headers for our posts? Can't he even see they are very different?
I was wondering when some moron would start posting that I and Steve (et
al) are one and the same person. And here he is, it's Terry!

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 00:32:09 -0700

Felger Carbon wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > I don't know, I was working.  However, even the pro-Microsoft press
> > admitted that EVERY MICROSOFT OFFICER who appeared on the witness
> > stand was caught in at least one lie.
> >
> > Allen testified, and he's a Microsoft officer.
>
> He _is_??  Is he the president?  Treasurer?  One of the vice presidents?
>
> AFAIK, Allen is not even a director, which is not the same as being an
> officer.  I do not believe Paul Allen  has been an officer since years and
> years ago when he resigned, apparently because of a medical problem.
>
> Can someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Allen may have been called on the stand anyway... after all at one time
he was part of MS.

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 07:13:09 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Looks like you have some company with your network woes.
> Albeit a different problem and of course the Linonuts blame the
> hardware. I'll bet it works fine under Windows though.

Of course it works fine under Windows.

I'm coming to a simple conclusion about Linux - it's a half baked solution
created by a bunch of amateurs and as such, it shows, believe me it shows.

Some bits and pieces are pretty good - Apache for instance, but some bits
are real ropey. KDE for instance. Some of the crashes I've seen with it
beggar belief:

(i) everything died and left me with the background and nothing else
(ii) the KDE crash handler fired up for EVERY KDE app - some server died I
guess then the whole house of cards went
(iii) drag and drop sometimes turns into drag and bomb.

Windows crashes, Windows isn't stable, but I see much worse with KDE.

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: This is a fucking miracle! CD-R Follow up story
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 07:14:19 GMT

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> For those who had followed the luser a couple of posts back,
> complaining, no, that is too soft, bitching because he could get his
> CD-R work'in.  Well, my experience is contry to his experience, in that
> I only needed to edit to files and run one program, reboot, CD-R is
> ready to roll.  Guess how I did it? I read the fucking manual, I know,
> bloody miracle!

I got CD-R to work on Linux _without_ reading the manual. Worked first time.
One thing Mandrake 7.2 got right.

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: hmm getting tired of this!
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 07:17:58 GMT

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> SuSE Makes money

They had to lay off some workers in the USA though.

From: "2 + 2" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: DOWN TO THE SIG LINE (Was: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 03:37:22 -0400

Aaron R. Kulkis wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

[snipped and carried out to the trashbin, thank you]
[I know, I know, the smell was bad, someone had to do it]

>> shut the fuck up before you wind up in court? Accusing a person of
>
>make me.
>
>> a crime they did not commit is itself a crime. You are, apparently,
>> a criminal.
>
>JUDGE JACKSON HIMSELF said that they were lying, you ignorant sack of shit.

Look buddy, you mess with US and down you go to the sig line

[looks down to the lower subsections]
[[yells] ANY ROOM DOWN THERE?]
[[reply] no, the basal lobes are COMPLETELY OVERLOADED]

Ok, then, you get off this time.
Our mental processes are full.

But watch out, next time, it's DOWN TO THE SIG LINE!!!

I hope this helps.

2 + 2

PS, hey bud
What about we start some room in the sig line for helpful people
like myself, such as:
"G: 2 + 2: What a brilliant guy!!!!

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 00:42:38 -0700

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > You are confusing two seperate issues.  Memory management efficiency,
> and
> > > memory management simplicity.
> > >
> > > Most things that are simplified come at a cost in performance.  This is
> the
> > > premise that Unix is founded upon, rather than making things simple, it
> > > makes them powerful and more flexible.
> >
> > Ok. Point made.
> >
> > As an aside to performance issues... National Sandia Labs has made
> > inroads to microprocessor designs to increase the speed by 50 times the
> > current technology.
> > Eventually, this problem won't matter anymore.
>
> They've been saying that for over 30 years.

> > > You are confusing things again. VC++ 6 has no problems whatsoever with
> > > multiple inheritance.  What you are thinking of is MFC, which has
> > > limitations because of it's use of static data that prohibit certain
> kinds
> > > of multiple inheritance.  This has nothing to do with the VC++ compiler,
> and
> > > the same limitations exist under Borland or any of the other compilers
> that
> > > license MFC.
> >
> > No, I've got the MSDN cd-rom set, and it distinctly shows the
> > work-arounds.  Mind you that the MSDN set is huge with info.  In
> > chapt.13 of C++ PRIMER PLUS by Stephen Prata has examples of multiple
> > inheritance.  Some of these examples won't work under VC++6.0 while
> > these same examples work fine under g++.  None of these examples use the
> > MFC classes.
>
> Then provide such an example.  I don't have C++ Primer Plus.  I know of no
> MI issues with VC++.  There are template and other issues, but nothing
> related to MI (except, as I mentioned, the MFC static data issues).
>
> > > In the future, you might not want to get into an argument with someone
> that
> > > knows orders of magnitudes more about the topic than yourself.
> >
> > If I were you, you shouldn't.  Don't give up your day job.
> > I've been in this field since 1965.
> > Retired now, but now just enjoying the field.
>
> The fact that you're doing examples in C++ Primer Plus shows you have little
> experience in C++.  I've been writing C++ for over 10 years, and C for over
> 20.
>
> Please, back up your claims with some evidence.  You should be able to
> provide a simple example.

I was giving you a simple example of using the primer.  If VC++6.0 can't
handle it thats MSs' problem.

Give me some time to post the example and I'll do as such. I've given
you the benefit of the doubt and have tried to be nice... its pointless
to call each other names... I won't.  I've spent my time in the computer
field while Bill's mother was still wiping his nose.  Again, I will get
back to you as a new post. Both the examples and if you have the MSDN
cd-rom set the search path to it.  There are a lot of pluses in VC++6.0
and a few minuses.  One minus is the price ($600+) (Ouch!). Gnu g++
(free) :-)
If I can't get a good example... I'll apologize.

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 19:46:17 +1200

The manual was used to double check what I already knew.

Matthew Gardiner

--
I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operater from Hell)

If you donot like it go [#rm -rf /home/luser] yourself

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 19:49:46 +1200

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> Matthew Gardiner wrote:
>
> > SuSE Makes money
>
> They had to lay off some workers in the USA though.
>
> --
> Pete
> Running on SuSE 7.1, Linux 2.4, KDE 2.1
> Kylix: the way to go!

US consumers are not normal consumers. They still insist on buying cars
that are the size of tanks, and consume so much fuel a small island
nation could last a week on it.  General Electric, hello? most people
outside the US wouldn't know who the fuck they are? I would be lucky to
see atleast one item on the self made by General Electric in New
Zealand. Hence, unless, you are a US company, based in the US, you have
bugger all chances of getting market share.

Matthew Gardiner