From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Basement Boy: Aka Aaron Koookis
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 01:00:39 -0400

Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> WesTralia wrote:
> > "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >>
> >> You're making the mistaken assumption that EVERY hacker is supposedly
> >> an uber-hacker.
> >>
> >> Overestimating your opponents is as pointless as underestimating your
> >> opponents.  When you over-estimate your opponent's abilities, you
> >> just give in, because you convince yourself that resistance is useless.
> >>
> >> This is why the army, although thermal imaging is available, STILL
> >> camoflauges all equipment, because only SOME opponents have thermal
> >> vision equipment.
> >>
> Well, Aaron, I can still see your rantings because they are posted by
> others.
>
> I will type now very slowly, so that even you can understand:

No need.  I read at over 500 words/minute.

> Your supposedly modified header means nothing, nada, zilch.
> If anyone should attempt to attack your system, he would *not* see it
> and therefore it means absolutely *nothing*. It would be different, if
> you had a fixed IP-number, not a dial-in, *and* the would-be-attacker was
> about as dumb as you are, if you really believe that this scheme would
> somehow work to better your security.
>
> This is just completely braindead. When you have read your "TCPIP for
> extreme dummies" come back to us and tell us how your "camouflage"
> will magically deter or hinder any hackers (even the very dumb ones)
>
> Peter
>
> --
> The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact
> that nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol.
>                                                               Larry Wall

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 01:01:39 -0400

Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> WesTralia wrote:
> > "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >>
> >> You're making the mistaken assumption that EVERY hacker is supposedly
> >> an uber-hacker.
> >>
> >> Overestimating your opponents is as pointless as underestimating your
> >> opponents.  When you over-estimate your opponent's abilities, you
> >> just give in, because you convince yourself that resistance is useless.
> >>
> >> This is why the army, although thermal imaging is available, STILL
> >> camoflauges all equipment, because only SOME opponents have thermal
> >> vision equipment.
> >>
> Well, Aaron, I can still see your rantings because they are posted by
> others.
>
> I will type now very slowly, so that even you can understand:
>
> Your supposedly modified header means nothing, nada, zilch.
> If anyone should attempt to attack your system, he would *not* see it
> and therefore it means absolutely *nothing*. It would be different, if
> you had a fixed IP-number, not a dial-in, *and* the would-be-attacker was
> about as dumb as you are, if you really believe that this scheme would
> somehow work to better your security.
>
> This is just completely braindead. When you have read your "TCPIP for
> extreme dummies" come back to us and tell us how your "camouflage"
> will magically deter or hinder any hackers (even the very dumb ones)

Locks don't stop the determined thief, either, but I'll bet you
lock your car and your doors...don't you.

> Peter
>
> --
> The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact
> that nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol.
>                                                               Larry Wall

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 01:03:14 -0400

Ian Pulsford wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > This is why the army, although thermal imaging is available, STILL
> > camoflauges all equipment, because only SOME opponents have thermal
> > vision equipment.
> >
> > For the others, who don't have it...the camo works just fine.
> >

> I can't wait until we all have thermal imaging gear coz then we can all
> paint our tanks florescent techno-swirls.  Kkaki is so drab.

Aussies are still using khaki???

Agh...for those of us used to seeing soldiers in camo uniforms, your
guys would stick out like sore thumbs.

> IanP

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.singles
Subject: Re: Linux = CHOICE!
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 01:04:14 -0400

Chad Everett wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Apr 2001 13:01:21 +1200, Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Well, hopefully this development will finally make developers realise
> >that there is potential in Linux instead of dismissing it as some fad,
> >mind you, something that has lasted 10 years I would not consider a
> >fad.  As a side note, I find it rather funny that developers bitch and
> >moan because of the lack of gaming API's when they totally over look
> >OpenGL, and its audio equivilant, OpenAL.  There is also sdl used by
> >lokigames to help them port many of the DirectX based games to linux. I
> >am sure there are many other API's out there for Linux, so, as a matter
> >of fact, they not only have a gaming API, but a selection, so that, if
> >API "X" doesn't suite the job, then they can use one that does.
> >
> >As for SuSE Linux.  I have SuSE Linux 7.1 running, and compared to
> >Redhat, SuSE is awsome. Hence, the reason I donot understand why SuSE
> >has not made bigger inroads into the US market.  About the only bone I
> >have to pick with SuSE is the number of duplicate packages, such as
> >having three Java Virtual Machines, when one would be adequate.
> >
> >Matthew Gardiner
> >

> They're making great inroads in the US Market.  They are the largest
> selling dist in the US for 1st quarter 2001.

Isn't choice and a multitude of vendors great?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: So much for modules in Linux!
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 01:07:05 -0400

Mart van de Wege wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Chad Everett"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > No. boot.local is NOT the same thing as rc.local on other systems. Don't
> > lead him down that path again.
> >

> Ok,
>
> But that's what I meant. Maybe a tech support person, or Pete, confused
> boot.local with rc.local.
> It might be interesting to see what happens if Pete adds his network
> scripts to rc.local. That might help him fix his problem (ok, it's a
> workaround not a fix, but at least it'll keep him quiet for a while).

No, no, no, no, no, no, no!

The belong in /etc/init.d (or /etc/rc/init.d)
with S and K  links in  /etc/rcX.d (or /etc/rc/rcX.d)
where X is the appropriate run level(s)

> Mart
>
> --
> Write in C, write in C,
> Write in C, yeah, write in C.
> Only wimps use BASIC, Write in C.
> http://www.orca.bc.ca/spamalbum/

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 01:08:22 -0400

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> Roy Culley wrote:
>
> > Until recently I used SuSE Linux exclusively. I only had a static IP
> > address conection at that time so never used SuSE with DHCP. I cannot
> > believe that YAST doesn't know how to setup an interface for DHCP. In
> > fact I don't believe it. SuSE users should never need to worry about
> > startup scripts at all unless they are working with things that aren't
> > a part of a standard SuSE system.
>
> I cannot believe a Linux distribution would release something that mangles
> the drivers for two network cards because it loads DHCP or a firewall
> first. That's SuSE for you.
>
> > Well that is patently clear. Does his employer know this. :-)
>
> Obviously not. Otherwise they wouldn't give me a 20% pay rise.

FOOLS!

> --
> Pete
> Running on SuSE 7.1, Linux 2.4, KDE 2.1