From: "David Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux posts #1 TPC-H result (W2K still better)
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 12:10:13 +0200

Ayende Rahien wrote in message <9e2ofn$223$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

>"David Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:9e2mhp$h1p$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> Ayende Rahien wrote in message <9due41$du6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>
>> You are correct about the solutions contest.  But a similar principle
>> applies, even for companies that have the money available.  They still
>have
>> to justify the costs (although they will be less, since the hardware is
>> cost-price, and the big groups already have the appropirate memberships).
>> And ultimately, they are interested in their own bottom line - if they
>make
>> more profit selling bigger machines with more expensive software, then
>that
>> is what they will push for in the benchmarks.  It is a lot easier to
>profit
>> from a 40% cut on a $300,000 software package than from 40% of a $79
>> package.  Lower end hardware and cheap / free software with lower
absolute
>> numbers are not nearly as glamerous, even if they can produce far better
>> bangs per buck figures.  There is also the question of who they are
>> targetting with the benchmark "advertising" - there are plenty of
>potential
>> customers who are used to paying hundreds of thousands for large software
>> systems, and just will not consider a free system regardless of any
>> performance figures.
>
>Okay, I've to ask, where does the profit goes from software in those
>situations?
>If IBM sells MS-SQL Server, does it get something, and if so, how much?

I don't really know - I would presume that when a solutions vendor like IBM
resells MS software as part of a solution, they make a profit on the
software as well as the hardware.  I have no concrete idea about how the
numbers work out - I am just basing my statements on common sense and common
business practice (if you sell something made up of lots of parts, you aim
to make a profit on each part).  This may not be the case here (after all,
the computer and software industry is not renowned for its common sense).

>I know that OEM buy Windows licenses from MS, and then sell it to the
>customer, is it the same with this kind of stuff?
>
>> Regarding the SGI solution, they have clearly aimed for top marks
>regardless
>> of cost.  If they had tried PostGres and DB2 and found that DB2 was 2%
>> faster (the figures here are entirely hypothetical), they would use DB2
>> regardless of the price.
>
>The cost of software here is (usually, except for DB licenses, which can
get
>expensive *real* fast, not to mention a nightmare to manage.) usually
>miniscule compare to the cost of the hardware.
>In this case, 2%, or even 20%, wouldn't have make a difference, it would've
>still put Linux at the top of the table, and at much lower price (DB cost
is
>free in this case).
>As I said, in order to even *wish* to get into the table, you've to invest
>some *hefty* sums in hardware. And hardware is where most of the profit of
>those companies come from, well, that and support contracts.

Yes, it is the hardware that costs.  So vendors supply their best hardware,
and they run whatever software makes it look best regardless of the costs.
Presumably we can conclude that none of the open source databases are faster
than the big commercial ones, at least for these sorts of data sizes.  This
is hardly surprising - IBM can easily give its DB2 developers a couple of
300 GB servers to play with to improve performance on huge systems, but that
is hardly going to happen in the MySQL or PostGres world.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 20:36:25 +1000
From: Chris Sherlock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Promoting Distribution of Open Source Applications

RedHat

Chris

------------------------------

From: Karel Jansens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Campaign: Microsoft Free by October 1st
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 11:48:40 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>>Not to call you a liar, but I have _never_ met anyone who managed to keep
>>Win 9x running for more than a working week (i.e.: five days) in a normal
>>office or home environment (*). Most people call themselves lucky if they
>>get through the day without a three-finger salute to their grey box.
>
> Sorry to disappoint, but I'm very careful with my box.  At work, it
> took me a month to get it cleaned up and running right.  But when my
> boss made me put back the norton crap, I just couldn't keep that
> program from crashing.  Also, every time another employee touches my
> machine at work, something really bad happens.  At home though, I have
> more control.
>
> If you know what you're doing, and you're familiar enough with the
> reasons why windows keeps crashing, you can keep it running for a
> while. Alot of times it's the apps that crash the system because om
> memory address errors in their programing. (My buddy was explaining it
> to men, I don't really know how to explain it well.)
>
> It just sucks that you have to be diligent about it.

Does it not strike you as odd that the user has to be the one maintaining
the O/S? I mean, is that not what an O/S is supposed to do?

I do not care much about Windows and I do not use it myself, but when I
compare my linux housekeeping to the kind of work Windows users apparently
have to do, I have to come to the conclusion that either I am a very lucky
man, or that Windows users are prepared to take a lot more crap from their
operating system than I would.

The only times I do a reinstall is when I upgrade to a new kernel or a new
version of X11; sure, I have had programs bomb out on me (and quite a few,
I admit), but I still have to come across the first one that takes the O/S
with it; the only time my PC goes off is in the event of a power outage
(and that only happens when the occasional thunderstorm strikes); I have
been hit with 'Melissa' and 'I love you' several times but, not having
Windows or Outlook, they were amusing at best; I am still waiting for a
linux virus to see what it can do to my system.

But enough with the advocacy ranting already, glad to hear you managed to
get a stable Windows 9x system. More power to you.

--
Regards,

Karel Jansens
Has anybody ever wondered why Microsoft launched Windows 95
with a song that contains the line: "You make a grown man cry"?

Oh, wait...

From: Karel Jansens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 12:02:17 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Well, that's why I'm preparing to get Linux together.  I'm just one of
> those people who has to get a better idea about something before he
> changes.  (I've just been reading everything I can find and asking
> questions for now.)
>
> Even with Linux, one of the apps I wanted was Sun's Star Office (so I
> never needed MS office again) which claims a minimum requirement of a
> 233mHz processor.  Are you able to run it on your machine?  I might be
> able to, but I"m worried it might be lagged too much.

I think I may be the resident Luddite, as my main PC is a pentium 75 with
96 MB of RAM (and only 64 of those are cached, courtesy of a braindead
motherboard). I prefer Applix Office because it has very low hardware
requirements (got it acceptably running on a P75 laptop with 16 MB RAM
once), but I have StarOffice 5.2 and although it is definitely a slow
starter (loading time around 1-2 minutes!), it is pretty nimble once up.
StarOffice is plenty fast once you get your processor around the 166 mark
or so.

Obviously, with those hardware specs, KDE is not my desktop of choice. I
usually run IceWM, occasionally with dfm (a desktop file manager that
mimicks the look and feel of OS/2 Warp). I do run a few KDE and Gnome
programs, mainly because they look kewl <G>.

> And I think the main problem with my burner is it's parralel port.  I
> can only get 1x for burning audio CD's.  Is your's parralel, scsi,
> internal?  And do you get 8x on audio CDs or just data CD's?
>
> I'll tell you what, though.  Never have I found people more willing to
> help a newbie out then in the world of linux.  I'm learning a lot.

We are not helping you, we are assimilating you into the hive.

<insert MP3 with maniacal laughter>

From: "billwg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Analysis of the Linux Report from MS
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 10:40:25 GMT

"Ayende Rahien" <Don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9e2o02$1gf$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> They don't, of course.
> You get additional APIs or changes that doesn't break applications (like
the
> new UI in Whistler).

I can understand that you can load libraries for the application and
everything continues to work OK for existing applications.  My question was
in regard to a developer's problem in making a new applications.  Does the
application have to change to be optimized for each different GUI?  Do linux
users favor one GUI over another as a "standard" or do they just take what
comes with the particular application?  To me the GUI flavors the entire
appearance of the platform.  If users choose GUIs like PC users choose
Windows vs OS/2, then the application has to accomodate that choice, I
think.  If the users don't actually care, then you just write an app for
whatever GUI is most suited for the app.

> As a side point, how does Windows manage remote display?

There is the NT Terminal Services functionality that allows an application
run on a remote server to be controlled from a client desktop.  I think,
architecturally, that's a lot like the X-terminal system.  But Windows
fundamentally is a "thick" client system and all of the display
functionality runs locally and only data and messages are accessed from the
server.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 18 May 2001 18:40:50 +0800

    GreyCloud> Now that's the best I've ever seen it put!  Very well
    GreyCloud> done!

Now, you've learnt who are better designers of software architecture.

Windows  designers are,  IMO, very  adhoc, short-sighted  and fragile.
There is no  long term vision or plans, in  the technical side.  (They
may have  good plans on  marketing, though.)  Thus, things  won't work
with a  newer version of  the OS or  library or software.   Users must
keep on  upgrading their  OS, libraries, softwares  just to  make sure
they work.   MS just  conceal this fact  with wonderful  marketing, at
which they excel.

UNIX  features,  on the  other  hand,  are  based on  mature  research
results, proven  techniques, etc.  Designers  are usually have  a long
vision, and have EXTENSIBILITY, FORWARD-COMPABILITY, BACK-COMPABILITY,
INTEROPERABILITY,  multiple   concurrent  users,  multiple  concurrent
machines, multiple concurrent processes,  etc.  in mind.  Features are
carefully designed to be extensible, so that they can work with future
softwares, and existing softwares can work with a newer version of the
underlying design.

The  X protocol,  for instance,  is designed  with  both extensibility
(which    gives   both    forward    and   backward    compatibility),
interoperability  and  also efficiency  (optimization  on the  network
bandwidth) in mind.   X protocol have now got  many "extensions", such
as  SHAPE, DOUBLE-BUFFER,  DPMS (to  put the  monitor into  standby or
suspend mode),  GLX (for openGL), MIT-SHM,  MIT-SCREEN-SAVER, and many
more.  Despite  these extensions,  X-clients and X-servers  still work
together  without problems.   (New clients  exploiting  the extensions
would of course require new server capabilities, but old clients would
work with new servers  and new protocol versions without modification.
Most new clients will also  work with older servers and older protocol
versions, because clients can, and often will, negotiate features with
the server, and fall back gracefully.)

Actually.  the  whole X platform  is carefully structured  to decouple
the graphics  capability from the look-and-feel, which  is provided by
UI-toolkit (aka  Widget-set, or  GUI-library).  The X  protocol (which
can be programmed  with the aid of Xlib) only  defines how clients and
servers communicate so as to  draw things like circles, lines, images,
etc.   It is a  UI-toolkit that  determines how  to draw  the buttons,
menus.  So,  the look-and-feel  is determined by  the UI-toolkit  -- a
layer separate  from the  X protocol.  So,  programs written  with Qt,
GTK, Xt,  Motif can all work  together and appear on  the same display
(i.e.  X-server), although  they have different look-and-feels.  Which
toolkit to use is thus the high-level programmers' choice.  The user's
only responsibility is to ensure that they have the suitable libraries
installed for  the programs  they run.  Even  the window manager  is a
separate  (but   special)  X-client.   So,  that's   another  form  of
decoupling.   You don't  like  this window  manager?   Just switch  to
another that you like.

UNIX design  philosophy: make  everything small but  ELEGANT, POWERFUL
and EFFICIENT  for exactly the specialized  task it is  for.  So, 'wc'
only  counts, and never  sorts.  'sort'  concentrates on  sorting, and
won't do  "search and replace", which  is the job  of 'sed'.  Although
each of these  little tools can do only one  thing, the possibility of
combining them via the pipe facility make them very poweful.  The same
goes for many other UNIX  features and designs.  X is another example:
the X-protocol concentrates on  letting the X-client and X-server talk
so as to let the client  display things and receive input events.  The
UI-toolkits concentrate  on drawing  the GUI components,  and managing
the geometry (or  layout) of the components, but do  not have to worry
about the  underlying network communication.   Application programmers
concentrate on provide application features, and is freed of having to
worry about  the bits and bytes  sent between the  application and the
X-server.

--
Lee Sau Dan                     §õ¦u´°(Big5)                    ~{@nJX6X~}(HZ)
.----------------------------------------------------------------------------.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 18 May 2001 18:48:26 +0800

    >>> I have no idea why this is not done more often.
    >>  *Shrug* never underestimate the stupidity of human being ;-)
    >> Windows has RG_SZ_EXPAND, which does the same work.

    Edward> That is one of my gripes with RPM (and some of the
    Edward> programs repackaged) is that they can't be installed in an
    Edward> arbitrary place (well, most can't).

Recent versions  of RPM (the  format) and 'rpm' (the  utility) support
"relocatable" packages.  I've never played  with it, but I believe the
application packager MUST take the responsibility to make it work, and
that in turn  depends on whether the application  writers provide such
an option.

    Edward>   It is annoying when your /usr partition fills up.

Fortunately, this  is partly alleviated  by the use of  symbolic link.
Just  install a  new  harddisk, mount  the  partitions somewhere  (say
"/blah")  then 'mv' some  of the  things from  "/usr" to  "/blah", and
finally make a symbolic link  from "/usr/abc" to "/blah/abc".  You can
then free  up the /usr partition.   That'd be transparent  to both the
programs and end-users.

What can  you do when something  similar happens in  windows?  What if
The C: drive  is filled up?  Can you move  some application's files to
the D: drive?  No, many programs  will record in the registry that the
files are  in drive "C:".   Moving them to  "D:" would thus  break it.
Now, Windows do not have symbolic links.  What can you do?  Re-install
the applications?

--
Lee Sau Dan                     §õ¦u´°(Big5)                    ~{@nJX6X~}(HZ)
.----------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 07:25:57 -0400
From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: W2K/IIS proves itself over Linux/Tux

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Well, since you mention it, Bush Jr's plan includes the capitalization
> (or, rather, free public money to the fascist billionaires) for nuclear
> power plants, which is a good thing.

Screw that.  I think the future belongs to solar and wind-powered
electricity.  I mean, I don't see enough of a devotion to solar energy.
There's a lot of sunshine going to waste during the summer months,
because people just take refuge in their AC-cooled homes and offices.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: EXTRA EXTRA MS ADMITS!!!!
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 12:05:24 GMT

In article <mf5N6.1437$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>"Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:9e2bp0$i1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> > Not "whacked", just missinformed.  Intel doesn't need to wait, it
>already
>> as
>> they
>urging
>Intel
>> only
>> server

>> > And , the Linux community has already ported Linux to the Itanium...
>> > they are waiting for Intel to get its act together.  MS doesn't have
>> > their O/S ready yet for the Itanium.
>> > Some of the archetectural types don't agree on the way Intel has done
>> > the Itanium.
>> >
>> The mainpoint it this, there are already 3 commercially available OS's for
>> Itanium, and one GPL OS.  Microsoft can't even produce one! even with all
>> the money and so-called "R&D" the carry out each year.
>
>Get off it.  That's because IA64 support is tied to Whistler, which won't be
>out till october.  Not because of the IA64 support, but because that's when
>the OS will be done.  They've had the IA64 betas available since beta 1,
>about 6 months ago.

That's why they are keeping the chip running in HP-9000's for now.

As for the rest of your comments, "BLACK HELICOPTERS"!

--
Charlie
=======

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 12:07:39 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, T. Max Devlin wrote:

>It's pretty amazing, how extreme this is getting.  Yes, there is a back
>door.  Yes, it is removed by *deleting a dll*, the function of which
>appears, thereby, entirely optional and pretty much just there, I guess,
>to be a back door for Microsoft.  But, hey, the lack of any coherent
>explanation other than "some engineers having some fun" *perfectly*
>explains all of this.
>
>Do I hear a 'guffaw', off in the distance somewhere?
>
>--
>T. Max Devlin
>  *** The best way to convince another is
>          to state your case moderately and
>             accurately.   - Benjamin Franklin ***

"BLACK HELICOPTERS"  "BLACK HELICOPTERS" "BLACK HELICOPTERS"

There.  Now how about that original big boy statement...

--
Charlie
=======

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 12:08:48 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, T. Max Devlin wrote:
>Said Charlie Ebert in alt.destroy.microsoft on Thu, 17 May 2001 12:14:28
>   [...]
>>So in essence, its not such a big deal?
>>
>>Only if you consider a hidden back door in every IIS server on the planet
>>which gives the user the capability to steal everything off the server and
>>run a muck across your intra-net no problem.
>
>One cannot "run a muck", Charlie.  ROTFLMAO!
>
>Maybe it's the beer but that is SO funny!  "Run a muck."  What the hell
>is a muck? ROTFL AGAIN!
>

>--
>T. Max Devlin
>  *** The best way to convince another is
>          to state your case moderately and
>             accurately.   - Benjamin Franklin ***

It's similar to you head hitting the asphalt floor of some
bar parking lot at about 1:30 AM.

--
Charlie
=======

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 12:09:22 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ed Allen wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>T. Max Devlin  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Said Charlie Ebert in alt.destroy.microsoft on Thu, 17 May 2001 12:14:28
>>   [...]
>>>So in essence, its not such a big deal?
>>>
>>>Only if you consider a hidden back door in every IIS server on the planet
>>>which gives the user the capability to steal everything off the server and
>>>run a muck across your intra-net no problem.
>>
>>One cannot "run a muck", Charlie.  ROTFLMAO!
>>
>>Maybe it's the beer but that is SO funny!  "Run a muck."  What the hell
>>is a muck? ROTFL AGAIN!
>>
><b>muck</b>
>     n 1: any thick messy substance [syn: <a
>href="/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=sludge">sludge</a>, <a
>href="/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=slime">slime</a>, <a
>href="/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=goo">goo</a>, <a
>href="/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=gook">gook</a>,
>href="/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=gunk">gunk</a>, <a
>href="/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=ooze">ooze</a>]
>     2: fecal matter of animals [syn: <a
>href="/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=droppings">droppings</a>, <a
>href="/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=dung">dung</a>]
>     v 1: remove muck, clear away muck, as in a mine
>     2: spread manure, as for fertilization [syn: <a
>href="/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=manure">manure</a>]
>     3: soil with mud, muck, or mire; "The child mucked up his shirt
>        while playing ball in the garden" [syn: <a
>href="/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=mire">mire</a>, <a
>href="/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=mud">mud</a>, <a
>href="/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=muck%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20up">muck
>        up</a>]
>
>    The closest I can figure is to "spread crap all over" your network.
>
>    Sounds like the MS software I have experience with.
>
>--
>Microsoft Motto: Illegal we do immediately.
> Unconstitutional takes a little longer.
>   Linux -- The Unix defragmentation tool.

Ah, yessir.  That is correct.

--