  Re: More Mafia$oft incompetance on display.. (Michael Vester)

From: Charles Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Could Linux be used in this factory environment ?
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 01:14:45 GMT

Paul Repacholi wrote:

> "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > "franek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > > I could never understand this enamoration with HTML-based
> > > interfaces.  There's a good case for using HTML in a normal
> > > web-based environment, but why the hell one would want to use this
> > > crude and slow method in a standalone system is beyond me.
>
> > Well, there are a lot of reasons why one might want to do this.
>
> > 1) rollout of new versions is effortless.  Just install the new
> > pages, scripts, etc.. and it just works the next time they load a
> > page.  You can do this by centralizing the apps in a traditional
> > environment as well, but then you have to get everyone to exit their
> > processes and reload.  This isn't something you would want to do
> > automatically because users might have a page up for a specific
> > reason, and killing it on them could be disasterous.
>
> > 2) You can use very low-end hardware for terminals (win 3.1 boxes
> > even).
>
> Great if you have no solvents, dust, high power machinery...
>
> As I said, get factory experience and understand *the* factory.
> Cutting $20 bucks won't go far when you are explaining the reasons for
> destroying $100M of plant and killing 5 people.
>
> Oh, and rolling out new versions is NEVER effortless. It can take 6
> months or more of extensive testing before you 'roll out'. And if you
> think that it becomes easier by adding a huge jump in complexity...
>
> --
> Paul Repacholi                               1 Crescent Rd.,
> +61 (08) 9257-1001                           Kalamunda.
>                                              West Australia 6076
> Raw, Cooked or Well-done, it's all half baked.
However there are a number of manufacturers who make PC equals for the
factory floor. They are much lower cost than traditional factory
hardware, especially HP or Sun systems. These systems cost lots more
than CompUSA trash, but still are cost effective, *IF* they have a good
OS loaded. Linux does have competitors in this market, QNX being one.
But the cost of a single BSOD is high enough to keep Windows out.
--
Russ Lyttle
"World Domination through Penguin Power"

------------------------------

From: "Paolo Ciambotti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Bill Gates Is Ramming His Thick Meaty Cock Up Torvald's Weak
Mincing Ass
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 18:25:06 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis"

>> Well, Aaron, you have the watch now.  I have to do some dirty work
>> Monday... Fire a dumb Doctor.  I won't have much time any more with any
>> news groups... maybe I can get back in but I have some grave doubts.
>> You're ok.  I think a lot of people mis-understand you.
>
> Most do...but I don't give a shit anymore.

Relax, kick back, have a couple of brewskies, add another line to the sig
if you want.  Just two rules in life to remember -

1. Don't sweat the small shit.
2. It's all small shit.

Ciaio.

------------------------------

From: Charles Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: there's always a bigger fool
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 01:31:43 GMT

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Matthew Gardiner
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Sun, 15 Apr 2001 00:39:09 +1200
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >I updated my glibc from 2.1 to 2.2 and did not require a reboot.
>
> This may illustrate why Linux works better than Windows; one issue
> here is that executables requiring the services of glibc are
> pointing to one copy of the file, whereas anything started up
> after the installation of the new file will, unless they explicitly
> specify 2.1 as a version (presumably, this is done during link time
> or during dlopen() time by appending the version number), get
> the new version.
>
> Heaven help the sysadmin types if there are incompatibilities between
> 2.1 and 2.2.  However, that's extremely rare, though I suspect
> something like that has happened on Unix.

This happens all the time. Not as often as it once did. The solution is
to either install a static linked version of the application or a local
copy of glibc. The application has a link in its home directory pointing
to the correct version of glibc. Only root can install a new version of
glibc, and root does so only after checking all common applications for
compatibility. The old copy is removed only after insuring that everyone
has a chance to reboot. Which may be a long time.

From: "David L. Moffitt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Who votes for Sliverdick to be executed: AYEs:3 NAYS:0 (1 ABSTAIN)
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 20:33:44 -0500

%%%% AYE!!!!

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Charles Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 01:37:36 GMT

Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

> "Charles Lyttle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
> > >
> > > [snips]

> > > Almost any application being installed under Win2K.  If it prompts for a
> > > reboot, it's almost certain not to actually need it.  (One notable
> > > exception is when it does, actually, provide an OS services update, such
> > > as a new MSI runtime, a new version of MDAC, or the like.)
> > Give me a name. How about one for NT, W2k, ME, 98, XP, etc.
>
> Whether it needs a reboot in a given OS is dependant on several things.  One
> of the commoner reasons for a reboot is updating MFC DLLs in the system
> folder.  Whether a given application has newer versions that the ones
> already installed (if indeed, any are installed) is going to depend on what
> has previously been installed.
>
> Example: Win2K, IIRC, ships with the latest versions (at time of shipping)
> of the MFC DLLs.  It is unlikely any application produced prior to this time
> is going to have newer versions of those files.  The same application being
> installed under, oh, Win98 _might_ need to install or update them.  You seem
> to want to lump all Windows versions into a single pigeonhole, expecting the
> same behaviour across all of them; that's not going to happen.  Further, you
> seem to be ignoring _why_ these sitations arise in the first place.
>
> Given that, I'm not sure how one could even hope to answer your question as
> written.
OK, I'll split the question into several questions.
Give one example of an application that asks for a reboot but does not
require one in NT.
Give one example of an application that asks for a reboot but does not
require one under W2K.
Give one example of an application that asks for a reboot but does not
require one under Me.
Give one example of an application that asks for a reboot but does not
require one under 98.
Give one example of an application that asks for a reboot but does not
require one under XP.
Give one example of an application that asks for a reboot but does not
require one under either NT, or W2k, or Me, or 98, or XP.

When answering the above, explain what the application should have done
to determine whether or not a reboot was required. This method should
work with Install Shield.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Linux needs a standard, user proof distro
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 01:43:36 GMT

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001 18:25:09 GMT, Kelsey Bjarnason
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Alpha, for one.  And MIPS.
> >
> > Both dead.
>
> Yet Windows (as the question asked for) - NT 3.51, I think - can quite
> happily run on either.

Could.  NT 3.51 is no longer offered AFAICT.  And even when it was the
current version, it was crippled on Alpha compared to Tru64, OpenVMS,
or Linux, being 32-bit only.

NT4 might still be available for Alpha, but it is still crippled in the
same way as 3.51.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: Charles Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 01:44:26 GMT

Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

> "Charles Lyttle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
> > >
> > > [snips]

> > > Almost any application being installed under Win2K.  If it prompts for a
> > > reboot, it's almost certain not to actually need it.  (One notable
> > > exception is when it does, actually, provide an OS services update, such
> > > as a new MSI runtime, a new version of MDAC, or the like.)
> > Give me a name. How about one for NT, W2k, ME, 98, XP, etc.
>
> Whether it needs a reboot in a given OS is dependant on several things.  One
> of the commoner reasons for a reboot is updating MFC DLLs in the system
> folder.  Whether a given application has newer versions that the ones
> already installed (if indeed, any are installed) is going to depend on what
> has previously been installed.
>
> Example: Win2K, IIRC, ships with the latest versions (at time of shipping)
> of the MFC DLLs.  It is unlikely any application produced prior to this time
> is going to have newer versions of those files.  The same application being
> installed under, oh, Win98 _might_ need to install or update them.  You seem
> to want to lump all Windows versions into a single pigeonhole, expecting the
> same behaviour across all of them; that's not going to happen.  Further, you
> seem to be ignoring _why_ these sitations arise in the first place.
>
> Given that, I'm not sure how one could even hope to answer your question as
> written.
When answering the questions in my previous post, you might explain just
what the hell an application is doing replacing MFC dlls.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Why left-wing communist assholes hate Reagan.  (was Re: Communism,
Date: 17 Apr 2001 01:54:54 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: Great money
: Low cost of living.

Don't know about the cost of living in Detroit (pronounced as "daytwah" in
French). But the cost of living around Chicago is high.

What I discovered is that housing prices are about a constant but square
footage will vary. That is, you can move to Norman Oklahoma but you still pasy
$150L for a home though it's a bigger one. In my case, PRICE is the
make-or-break item, not square footage. $150K is simply too much. When the
price is too high, the square footage becomes a moot point.

--
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.

------------------------------

From: Michael Vester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: More Mafia$oft incompetance on display..
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 12:32:54 -0700

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
> >
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Nope...only home page and the graphical front-end.
> > >
> > > Whoop......de.......fucking......doooooooo.

> > > And after 3 attempts, all they've managed to convert is the home page.
> >
> > "The home page"?  Just how many servers have they converted?
>
> Who the fuck cares.
>
> If it takes LoseDOS 5 servers to just convert the home page, that's an
> INDICTMENT of the their product
>
> >  If I'm
> > reading what they're saying correctly, we're talking 5,000 servers to be
> > converted over.  4 years?  That's about 3 servers per day, ignoring any
> > actual time spent planning, testing, etc.
>
> The ONLY thing that Mafiasoft was able to convert were a couple of
> front-end web pages.  The REAL work is ***STILL*** being done on Unix.
>

> > Okay, smart boy, how long would it take _you_ to roll out a conversion of
> > 5,000 servers from, say, IIS+Win2K to Apache + Linux, while maintaining
> > service for 100 million users?  Let's see your deployment strategy.
>
> 1. Set up 25 Unix machines, all ready to roll out except for the users' data.
> 2. RCP the data from the 5,000 LoseDOS machines to the Windows machines.
> 3. change the entries in the DNS server.
> 4. install Linux on the 5,000 LoseDOS servers, and donate them to schools.
>
> 2-month operation, at most!

If they are using Exchange server, Step 2 would require the migration of
data from a proprietary format.  That would take most of the time. 5,000
Exchange servers for a 100,000,000 users seems extremely optimistic.  Is
there any site where Exchange server handles 20,000 users? Where I work,
17 Exchange servers are used for 16,000 users. About one server per one
thousand users. Hotmail would need at least 100,000 servers. You would
need a city of MSCE's just to reboot and apply security patches.

> --
> Aaron R. Kulkis
> Unix Systems Engineer
> DNRC Minister of all I survey