propagandists in the US...still..to this day.) (Gunner©)

From: Greg Menke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
gnu.emacs.help,alt.religions.vim,alt.religion.emacs,fj.editor.vi,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Tired of XEMACS, moving to VIM
Date: 21 Apr 2001 00:56:09 -0400

> > Lisp is next to impossible to learn. I have to type basillions
> > of stupid keystrokes to get the most trivial tasks accomplished.

Lisp itself is fairly easy to learn, arguably easier than C/C++.  You
might begin at http://www.lisp.org .  Writing elisp code to do
nontrivial stuff in emacs/xemacs is not a beginner task.  If you're
typing lots, you haven't discovered the shortcuts yet.  Patience and
application are key.

I found it easier to make my mind change to fit emacs than to try to
force emacs to fit my mind.  Thats probably better anyway because
before starting to learn emacs I hadn't much understanding how an
editor should be.  Emacs or XEmacs is a preference like choosing the
color of the car you buy, the important thing is having the
transportation.

Gregm

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why left-wing communist assholes hate Reagan.  (was Re:
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 00:58:48 -0400

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> <snype>
>
> I find it rather humorous that septic tanks throw all Islamic people in
> one big group, however, very few of you have atually visited Islamic
> countries.  Many things you do see, such as the extreme or totally
> covering up of women, have nothing to do with the teachings of
> Mohummad,  but instead it is the teaching of Islam crossed with local
> customers then those rules bought to the extreme.  For example, if you

Very true.

Saudi Arabia has women dress very conservatively.  Drive across the
causeway to Bahrain, and things change drastically.  Drive to Kuwait,
and a woman is still required to be covered from head to toe, but
there's no law agains such atire being see-through.

> were to look at the likes of Lebanon, the rules are very liberal in what
> women and men can and cannot wear.  Also, many of you actually need to
> read the koran and realise what the rules really are.  They are that
> people, both men and women wear modest clothing, hence, don't look like
> a slut or skank.  I am not surprise that 40 years of xenaphobia since
> the Vietnam war has created a nation of people out of touch with other
> cultures.

Every American should be required to spend at least 1 year overseas,
and visit at least 2 non-European cultures BEFORE being allowed to vote.

> Matthew Gardiner
>
> --
> I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell)
>
> If you don't like it, you can go [# rm -rf /home/luser] yourself
>
> Running SuSE Linux 7.1
>
> The best of German engineering, now in software form

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 01:01:19 -0400

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Apr 2001 21:17:32 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
> > Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
>
> > Never been in Saudi Arabia, have you, so please keep your ignorant
> > stereotypes to yourself.
>
> I'm not invoking "ignorant stereotypes", I am quoting what I believe is
> a fairly good source.

Well, considering that I ***LIVED*** In Saudi Arabia for a year, I say
that your source is full of shit.

> > For example.
> >
> > Non-muslim women are not only not expected to cover their faces, etc.,
>
> Except that it's a religious state, so if you're a citizen, you had better
> be muslim.

Tell that to all of the Europeans living there.

The only requirement is that women aren't to go out in public looking
like skanky hookers and sluts.

> >> You pretend to be such a passionate advocate of freedom, but now you are
> >> showing your true colors by coming clean with the fact that think that
> >> only men are entitled to any freedom at all (and even the men have fairly
> >> limited freedom, apart from freedom to rape and beat their wives and
> >> servants)
> >
> > Nah.
>
> Yeah.
>
> You obviously think freedom is not very important, because you hold
> in high regard a religious state that offers no freedom.
>
> > I'm just saying that women in Saudi Arabia have a much better life
> > than American woman...thanks to American feminists.
>
> How do they have a better life ? Your claims that they are "safer" do
> not hold water, and even if they did, would you trade all your freedom
> for these perceived benefits ? Is freedom really that unimportant
> to you ?

Personally, the lack of political freedom is something that should
be changed.  However, their *CULTURE* (which is seperate from
their politics) works much better than ours in certain respects.

> --
> Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
> elflord at panix dot com

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What's the point
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 00:16:56 -0500

"Roy Culley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > When talking about your file system, there shouldn't be *ANY* bugs.  MS
is
> > very loathe to make changes to it's file system, and when it does, it
spends
> > eons testing them.  FAT32 started testing before Windows 95 came out,
but
> > didn't actually appear in a product until nearly 2 years later.
> >
> > Any possible bug in your filesystem should scare the living hell out of
you.
> > One bug can corrupt your entire disk.
>
> You really are an obstreperous bastard. The reason why reiserfs was
> not incorporated into the first 2.4.0 release was not because of bugs.

Really?  Explain why 2.4.2 has a Reiserfs bug fixed.

Explain why 2.4.3 has not zero, not one, but THREE bugs regarding the
Reiserfs fixed?

Explain why 2.4.4 pre-4 has a Reiserfs bug fixed in it so far.

> SuSE, a major contributor to reiserfs development, has been using it
> on their servers for a long time. They have provided it with their
> distributions for a long time. On the SuSE mailing list many people
> would ask if reiserfs is stable enough. SuSE people themselves replied
> saying they used it on servers with huge partitions and that it was
> rock solid.

It may be "rock solid" in the vast majority of circumstances, but you can't
predict when you will become the exception to the rule.

> To say that MS is loath to release critical software
> before doing eons of testing has to be one of the biggest jokes
> ever. MS hasn't given a toss about quality until the Internet became a
> big thing. They are now producing a fairly reliable operating system
> but only after the huge embarrassment of so many bugs being made
> public via the Internet.

MS's file systems have always been rock solid.  They take the file system as
a very important piece of the puzzle.

------------------------------

From: "AG" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 17:24:35 +1200

> > Windows.  Then, as groups of users become less and less dependent on
> > M$-only software, you can move some of them over to Linux boxes
>
> FreeBSD, actually.

Ummm, why not VMS?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Subject: Re: Why left-wing communist assholes hate Reagan.  (was Re:      Communism,
 Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.)
Date: 21 Apr 2001 00:09:25 -0500

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> <snype>
>
> I find it rather humorous that septic tanks throw all Islamic people in
> one big group, however, very few of you have atually visited Islamic
> countries.  Many things you do see, such as the extreme or totally
> covering up of women, have nothing to do with the teachings of
> Mohummad,  but instead it is the teaching of Islam crossed with local
> customers then those rules bought to the extreme.  For example, if you
> were to look at the likes of Lebanon, the rules are very liberal in what
> women and men can and cannot wear.  Also, many of you actually need to
> read the koran and realise what the rules really are.  They are that
> people, both men and women wear modest clothing, hence, don't look like
> a slut or skank.  I am not surprise that 40 years of xenaphobia since
> the Vietnam war has created a nation of people out of touch with other
> cultures.

I didn't see this happening in this thread.  I thought people were doing
a pretty good job of sticking to Saudi Arabia.

------------------------------

From: "mmnnoo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anyone have any stats on how many times RedHat 7.1 is being  downloaded?
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 05:30:13 GMT

I have done the same thing several times, but on a 28.8 modem
(and if you think that's bragging I'm offended that you think
I'm *that* geeky).

If 7.1 is like earlier versions, isn't the 2nd CD just source?  You
might want the occasional source package, but you probably
won't use more than a few.

At any rate this seems like a good time for a debian plug -
just install the small base version, then let the package
manager download things as they're needed.  Or do
you really want to download every X Server (of which
only a couple will run on your hardware), the
full documentation package for emacs in japanese,
and everything else under the sun?

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 01:39:32 -0400

Lance Togar wrote:

> "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9bnkg3$a8qhr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > The problem is not that Windows or Office are bad software. They aren't.
> > > Windows and Office are both fabulous.
> > >

> > Yes I particularly love the way it regularly crashes just when you are
> > about to save the past 2 hours work and lose it all - great feature that.
> ..
> He said it was fabulous software,

What part of crashing is NOT fabulous  do you not understand?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Gunner© <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.)
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 22:40:43 -0700

"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>    >> If you get caught with a women that is not your wife,you can go to jail
>>    >> for this;the women might be put to death.
>>
>>    Aaron> What part of adultery is against the law do you not understand?
>>
>> It's a freedom thing, you would not understand.
>
>Remind me to come over and get your wife pregnant while you're at work.

I get the video rights! No need for a model release either.. Like
Napster..its a freedom thing. But do get the names correct for the
credits trailer.

Gunner

>> --
>> Andrew Hall
>> (Now reading Usenet in alt.fan.rush-limbaugh...)

 "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
 invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write
 a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort
 the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone,
 solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program
 a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die
 gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein