From: "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat has become scary?
Date: 21 Apr 2001 17:15:39 GMT

Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> --
: New Zealands got more problems than you could poke a stick at.  I was
: simply saying what should have happened was the people will should have
: followed instead of dragging the election through the courts. Isn't
: better for an election to take a little longer in the knowledge that
: everything is above board?

: Matthew Gardiner

Presidents, and Senators, are elected by the States, not directly by
the people.

That is by design.

If this were not so, a few large and generally left-leaning States
would dominate national politics even more completely than they do
now, plundering all the rest as completely as possible, and attempting
to disarm them.  This would lead almost immediately to civil war.

Joe

------------------------------

From: "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 21 Apr 2001 17:25:12 GMT

Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: Remember the communists witch hunts? based on nothing but paranoia.
: Well, atleast the US didn't inforce the "white only" rule that was
: inforced in Australia after the bombing of Darwin.

The communist "witch hunts" didn't go nearly far enough, as evidenced
by the state of affairs we have today.

The cancer of communism will hurt more to remove the longer it is
allowed to fester and grow.

Joe

------------------------------

From: "Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Aaron Kuklis Arrested!
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 01:26:57 +0800

"Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Todd wrote:
> >
> > "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > how come you are running Windows 98?
> >
> > Why not?
> Linux advocate running Windows 98.  If you talk the talk, walk the walk,
> other wise keep ya trap shut.

That's a very extreme point of view.  You wouldn't be European would you by
chance ?  :)

Anyway, many LAN shops/Cafes only have Windows... doesn't mean you like to
use it though.

For example, I use Windows 98 to read email when I go on vacation, but I
would never use it myself.

> > > how come you posted it using HTML encoding?
> >
> > HTML rocks over text.
> >
> > Are you stuck in the dark ages or something?
> Have you heard of net-etiquette? by posting in HTML is stops people who
> don't have HTML compat. news readers, from reading the post.

So they should upgrade :)

-Todd

------------------------------

From: "Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 01:28:34 +0800

> Todd wrote:
> >
> > "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > how come you are running Windows 98?
> >
> > Why not?
> >
> > > how come you posted it using HTML encoding?
> >
> > HTML rocks over text.
>
> Only to easily amused idiots like you who think font selections is more
> important than the message itself

HTML is great at formatting as well... so that you can align text and group
points together.

Also, embedded links, tables are cool too.

HTML ain't just for fonts (actually, that would be CSS)

-Todd

------------------------------

From: "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SQL Server sales up 44% in Q1
Date: 21 Apr 2001 17:47:28 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: Larry E., Prepare to be assimilated.

LOL!!!!!!

MS SQL Server, at least as of 7.0, is a toy compared to ANY other
server database product available.  (Haven't tried 2000 yet.)

It runs on only a single platform, which is a toy compared to ANY
server platform available.

Of course, many folks are finding that the numerous free alternatives
(MySQL, PostgreSQL, Interbase, SAP-DB) are eating away the market
share of *all* the proprietary vendors, not just MS.

So if I were Larry Ellison, I'd be concerned, but not by Mafia$oft.

Joe

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: 21 Apr 2001 17:58:20 GMT

Ace Agincourt wrote:
>Hi Roberto,
>
>On 20 Apr 2001 18:40:28 GMT,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
>put fingers to keyboard and tapped away writing:
>
>? billh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>? >
>? >"Roberto Alsina"
>? >
>? >> You apparently don't know what absurd means.
>? >> You say it's not murder because it's not unlawful, right?
>? >
>? >No.  I said killing in war is not murder, is not unlawful, is not immoral,
>? >and is not unethical.
>? >
>? >You chose to believe that means I said, "it's not murder because it's not
>? >unlawful."  Something I've never said
>?
>? Murder is by definition unlawful. Therefore, if you say killing at war
>? is not unlawful, the alleged lawfulness of the killing is sufficient
>? cause for the killing not to be murder.
>

>Serbia was at war with the Kosovas.  Are you claiming that the mass
>murders did not occur.  Also, Hitler went to war against the Jews.
>Are you a holocaust denier?

I see you joined late, so my position, by reading only the above,
could be misunderstood.

I personally believe any killing not in self defense, including
killing at war, should be considered murder. I was only taking
Billīs position to one of its many unpleasant logical outcomes.

--
Roberto Alsina

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 17:47:53 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Chad Everett says...

>On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 09:46:30 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>Larry E., Prepare to be assimilated.
>>

>...into a dying company.

14% increase in revenue is a hell of a way to die.

>The title of your post:
>
>"SQL Server sales up 44% in Q1" indicates
>are that either didn't actually read the article or
>your a liar.

>says.

What is it that you couldn't grasp ?

That Microsoft is succesfully metamorphosing out of the maturing desktop cash
cows ?

I realize that Pinguinistas see the enterprise segment as the last best hope
against You-Know-Who, but sooner or later they will wake up and smell the
coffee.

------------------------------

From: Toon Moene <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 20:31:38 +0200

Peter da Silva wrote:

> > > FreeBSD, actually.
>
> > Ummm, why not VMS?
>
> On the *desktop*?

What's wrong with that ?  I had a VMS workstation on my desktop from '88
- '91 (it even did all of the NETNEWS distribution for most of that
time).

The problem with VMS is not that it's VMS - it's that you spoil your
eyes on the microfiche trying to read the source.

Why do you think the GPL requires the source to be "the preferred way to
compile" your application ?

--
Toon Moene - mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] - phoneto: +31 346 214290

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What's the point
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 13:33:52 -0500

"Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Really?  Explain why 2.4.2 has a Reiserfs bug fixed.
> >
> > Explain why 2.4.3 has not zero, not one, but THREE bugs regarding the
> > Reiserfs fixed?
> >
> > Explain why 2.4.4 pre-4 has a Reiserfs bug fixed in it so far.
>
> Explain why in the Windows 2000 Service pack 1 they included an update
> to the NTFS driver? that not including all the service packs from NT4 in
> regards to the NTFS.

Indeed.  That's a good point.  There has been one bug in Windows 2000's NTFS
since its release almost 18 months ago.  In the first few months of 2.4.0
there have already been 5 bugs relating to Reiserfs.

As for NT4, I didn't use NTFS under NT4 until after SP6 precisely because I
wasn't comfortable with the stability.

> I have used Reiserfs since obtaining a copy of
> Mandrake 7.1, and I have never had a problem, no data loss, what so
> ever. If you are going to say ReiserFS isn't up to the standard, please
> give an example.

And I hope you continue to not have problems.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.nt.advocacy
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 13:35:45 -0500

"mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I have yet to see a convincing case for Microsoft SQl. If you need big and
bad,
> you go oracle. If you want simple and small, you go mysql, if you want
> midrange, go Postgres.

What do you call *OWNING* almost all of the top TPC benchmark scores?

> What value, over the above listing, does MS SQL bring to the table that
the
> above does not?

Vastly superior cost of ownership.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Could Linux be used in this factory environment ?
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 13:41:17 -0500

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

"

> > You should also read the original article which is the source of all
this:
> > http://www.usni.org/Proceedings/digiorgio.htm
> >
> > Notice that in an article of great length, only 2 paragraphs are devoted
> > NT, and none of the say the OS crashed.
> >
> > Further, the same author that wrote the gcn article (which quotes from
the
> > usni article) also clarifies his statements in a followup article:
> > http://www.gcn.com/archives/gcn/1998/november9/6.htm

> That last one is even worse than my story. A divide by zero in the
> controller for a fuel valve caused the entire LAN to go down crashing 27
> remotes?

The navy uses different terminology than the rest of the industry.  To them,
the "LAN" is their networked application, not the OS or hardware it's
running upon.  When the database contained invalid data, the applications
running on the remotes all crashed as well, thus causing a Local Area
Network failure.

> Industry (mostly) fixed that problem 30 years ago. For what its
> worth, I had an NT machine I was working with bring down an entire LAN
> of over 1000 machines. It was called the "ping of death". Some
> applications could cause the NT software to start issuing network pings
> at high speed. These faults often also caused a BSOD, but not always.

Ping of death was a specific type of exploit that needed special, invalidly
formed packets to work.  There was no way to cause normal applications to
generate POD packets.

Unix also suffered from this bug.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Why do Win advocates suck?  Part 1
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 18:43:41 GMT

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 04:02:29 GMT, Zorostorer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> That's what i heard almost a year ago; meanwhile, Windows at least boasts
> new entertainment software everyday.  You may enjoy using the same apps for
> Infinity, but many still like variety in the games they play, you know.

That's games, a consumer market.  Yes, Linux is weak there.  OTOH, I do
prefer to stick to the same word processor and development tools as much
as possible.  So yes, I do enjoy using the same apps for Infinity if you
are talking about productivity apps rather than entertainment.

>   The old argument that Linux lacks the
> > apps is based on nothing but pure FUD.

> Can I run commercial level applications like Softimage 3d, Protel, Orcad,
> Cadence, Hudini commercial applications on Linux

Cadence and Hudini have Linux versions.  In the electronic CAD area,
Synopsis also supports Linux.

The argument that you can't run AppFoo on Linux _is_ FUD if there are
equivalents.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: bank switches from using NT 4
Date: 21 Apr 2001 13:45:04 -0500

Says good-bye to expensive, hard to manage unix crap too...

http://www.vnunet.com/News/1120413

Zenon Chomyszyn, technology manager at the Halifax, told Computing that the
company's Unix systems are too expensive to maintain, and that he hopes to
reduce these costs by installing W2DC, despite a high initial outlay.
"The benefits will be the management of the systems and boxes rather than a
saving in purchase price," he said.

Chomyszyn added that the operating system will increase the availability,
reliability and scalability of the bank's databases, and will reduce
operational costs by managing a single server rather than thousands.

------------------------------

From: Nomen Nescio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Crossposted-To: soc.singles,alt.linux,alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 20:50:02 +0200 (CEST)

Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Why do you detest it?
> >
> > What's NOT to detest about it?
>
> I personally don't care if someone is homosexual or hetrosexual. People
> who sit around all day wondering/concerned whether person vxy is a
> homosexual should get their head examined. I have better things to be
> concerned about.  I have friends who are gay, and what they do with
> their "partners" is none of my business.  I think it is about time
> people stopped thinking that they should be the one standing the high
> ground, and get down to earth and started respecting people for who they
> are, not what they are.

methinks the lady doth protest too much
                        jackie 'anakin' tokeman

men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth - more than ruin,
more even than death
- bertrand russell

------------------------------

From: Scott Erb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 14:10:21 -0400

Jim Richardson wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Apr 2001 12:38:23 -0400,
>  Scott Erb, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  brought forth the following words...:
>

> >Jim Richardson wrote:
> >
> >> The keyword you are looking for is dictatorship...
> >>  Surely you don't expect an anarchist to approve of any state run regime?
> >> or were you trying to claim that there is no similarity between fascism and
> >> communism? which was the point of my post. If you wish to say that there are
> >> (or were) some right leaning dictatorships as bad as the some left leaning
> >> ones, I'd agree, but that doesn't make the left leaning ones any less horrible.
> >
> >You raise some good points -- dictatorship in the name of Allah or Jesus
> >or any cause or creed shares some commonality in that centralized
> >governmental power enforces the beliefs of the leaders about how their
> >ideology should be implemented.
> >
> >Fascism and Communism as *ideologies* are very different.  In practice,
> >things get murky.  Socialist Kurt Schumacher, who (like most Social
> >Democrats) fought against Communists and Fascists in street fights in
> >Weimar Germany, and then was imprisioned by fascists for 12 years, after
> >which he fought against the Communist take over of East Germany, called
> >Stalinists and Soviet style communism "red lacquered fascism."  He
> >didn't see a difference, he thought they were both fascist.  Yet he was
> >a proud socialist and Marxist.
> >
> >So the point is that we can compare ideologies (in which case fascism
> >and communism are very different), governmental practices based on the
> >labels given (in which case there are some similarities, though as
> >fascism is an ideology based on irrationalism and anti-reason, it can
> >range from Franco's conservative pro-church fascism to Hitler's rabid
> >racism), or idealized views of how that ideology should look in practice
> >(whereas democratic socialists regard the East bloc as opposed to their
> >values).  In any case, debates like these unfortunately tend to become
> >ones where labels are used to insult or ridicule, rather than understand
> >the differences between systems and how they function.
>
> I don't care what you call it, I don't care what philosophy backs it, if it
> initiates force, it is statism, the only question is how bad.
>  All governments are bad, are inherently evil, some are merely less evil than
> others.

Your opinion is noted.  However, you believing it doesn't make it true,
and the rest of us will act on our own, often very different, opinions.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Crossposted-To: soc.singles
Date: 21 Apr 2001 18:57:21 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> > Why do you detest it?
>>
>> What's NOT to detest about it?

> I personally don't care if someone is homosexual or hetrosexual. People
> who sit around all day wondering/concerned whether person vxy is a
> homosexual should get their head examined. I have better things to be
> concerned about.  I have friends who are gay, and what they do with
> their "partners" is none of my business.  I think it is about time
> people stopped thinking that they should be the one standing the high
> ground, and get down to earth and started respecting people for who they
> are, not what they are.  The type of bigotry you are demonstrating Aaron
> is nothing to be proud of.

That "high ground" you mention is most often one of religious origin, and
within that most often "christian".

Which explains quite alot about aaron's paranoia, insanity, stupidity,
gullibility and outright lies.

=====.

--
"Great babylon has fallen, fallen, fallen;
Jerusalem has fallen, fallen, fallen!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 19:03:58 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Toon Moene
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Sat, 21 Apr 2001 12:42:49 +0200
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 20:40:02 GMT, Webmaster wrote:

>> > Isn't xfs the X Font Server?
>
>> Yes, it's also that. Too many acronyms, huh ?
>
>I think that it is a symptom of the fact that there are only 17576
>TLA's.

TDM, if you ask me. [*] :-)

[.sigsnip]

[*] Too Darned Many.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- whatever happened to good old-fashioned English? :-)
                    Are you still here?

From: "Hullo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Windows 2000 Rocks!
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 20:01:48 +0100