From: "Hullo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Feminism ==> subjugation of males
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 01:24:03 +0100

What age are you kiddo? Your mother not give you enough attention or what?
One way or the other you come across as having BIG problems with women and
sound a little disturbed. Seek help quick before you wind up in a cage.

news:9c077p$2rlc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Steve Long" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 20:32:42 -0400

keep in mind most of the engineers hired by bill were the same guys
developing VMS.

and you believe them???

news:pP2F6.9486$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Steve Long" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 20:33:43 -0400

visicalc also preceeded excel...that or micropro.

------------------------------

From: Chronos Tachyon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 - It is an excellent product
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 00:41:23 GMT

On Mon 23 Apr 2001 04:18, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

  [Snip]

> This is patently wrong.  You can assign rights to do this in the local
> policy editor.  Just go to Administrative Tools in control panel, open
> Local Security Settings, then Local Policies, User Rights.  Double click
> on "Load and Unload device drivers" and click "Add" and choose the users
> or groups you want to be able to burn CD's.
>
>> See how easy Windows 2K is to use for users?
>
> That's why it it's called "professional".  That's also why Whistler
> personal will be simplified for these tasks.

Ouch, instant security compromise if you run a trojan that knows what to
look for.  So much for the benefits of running as a mere mortal instead of
Administrator.

--
Chronos Tachyon
Guardian of Eristic Paraphernalia

------------------------------

From: Nomen Nescio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Crossposted-To: soc.singles,soc.support.fat-acceptance,alt.fan.jackie-tokeman
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 02:40:08 +0200 (CEST)

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> You don't see the millions of
> hohosexuals who aren't that politically activated.

redirect to: soc.support.fat-acceptance
                        jackie 'anakin' tokeman

men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth - more than ruin,
more even than death
- bertrand russell

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.singles,soc.support.fat-acceptance,alt.fan.jackie-tokeman
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 03:43:39 +0100

>> You don't see the millions of hohosexuals who aren't that politically
>> activated.
>
> redirect to: soc.support.fat-acceptance
>                         jackie 'anakin' tokeman

What have politically inactive homosexuals got to do with fat acceptance?

-Ed

--
You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.

u 9 8 e j r (at) e c s . o x . a c . u k

------------------------------

From: "Kelsey Bjarnason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 Rocks!
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 00:43:17 GMT

[snips]

"Chad Everett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Boy, ain't that the truth.  But forget 5 files, try hundreds of files.
> Tell a GUI user that you need to find hundreds of word docs spread
> throughout the computer and change every occurance of "Chevy" to "Ford".

Don't have many (any, actually) documents kicking about with "Chevy" in
them, so I tried "happy" instead.  Let's see:

Searched 23,410 files, comprising 0.99Gb, in 384 folders.  Found 274
occurrences in 15 files.

<click>Open All
<click>Search/Replace
"sad"
<all occurrences, all open documents>
<click>Save All

'Course, we coulda got inventive and used a regex search, if we wanted.  Or
restricted the case of the match, or chosen whole words only, etc, etc, etc.
All that from a Windows GUI app.  Okay, this GUI user just searched many
thousands of docs, not just hundreds, spread about the computer, finding a
specific word and changing them.

And?

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Intel versus Sparc
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 20:50:48 -0400

Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> mlw wrote:
> >
> > You must admit, even if reluctantly, passing a 64M structure is a bit extreme,
> > wouldn't you?
>
> It wasn't my code.  I wouldn't write code that depended on putting
> that kind of structure on the stack!

That is very good. ;-)

> > Depending on how either the OS or compiler environment sets up
> > the data heap and stack, it is quite possible for a huge stack usage to grow
> > the stack to the point where it either corrupts the heap or crosses a protected
> > boundary. Remember programming 101 where you saw of the stack grows down and
> > the heap grows up?
>
> Doesn't matter so much if SS and ES are different segments.

On 386 or better Intel boxes, segment registers define sub addressing (starting
address and size) within the virtual process space. I don't know of any x86
system which uses the segment registers (other than legacy 16 bit DLLs and apps
on Windows) to do anything but point to the base of a virtual address space as
defined by the page descriptor table entries.

es, ds, cs, ss, etc. all usually point to the same base.

> > It has nothing to do with Intel. I have issues with Intel chips in general, but
> > I don't think this is something you can blame on them.
>
> You could be right.  Maybe the code on the Sparc was running under Solaris.
> Or maybe the machine it was running on had more than the 128 Mb and the 96 Mb
> of the machines I ran it on.

Real physical RAM has little to do with address space on virtual memory
machines.

> > It may be an OS limitation on stack size,
>
> For Windows, I'm certain of it, since C++ Builder's linker would allow only
> a 16 Mb max stack size.

What version is that?

--
I'm not offering myself as an example; every life evolves by its own laws.
========================

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 03:47:18 +0100

>> Boy, ain't that the truth.  But forget 5 files, try hundreds of files.
>> Tell a GUI user that you need to find hundreds of word docs spread
>> throughout the computer and change every occurance of "Chevy" to
>> "Ford".
>
> Don't have many (any, actually) documents kicking about with "Chevy" in
> them, so I tried "happy" instead.  Let's see:
>
> Searched 23,410 files, comprising 0.99Gb, in 384 folders.  Found 274
> occurrences in 15 files.
>
> <click>Open All

So you loaded almost 1GB of files in to memory?

> <click>Search/Replace
> "sad"
> <all occurrences, all open documents>
> <click>Save All
>
> 'Course, we coulda got inventive and used a regex search, if we wanted.
> Or restricted the case of the match, or chosen whole words only, etc,
> etc, etc. All that from a Windows GUI app.  Okay, this GUI user just
> searched many thousands of docs, not just hundreds, spread about the
> computer, finding a specific word and changing them.

Which GUI app was that? Most Windows apps don't have regex capability.

-Ed

From: "Steve Long" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 20:48:00 -0400

see http://www.scrounge.org/worstar.html

"During the period from the mid 1970's to the mid 1980's MicroPro WordStar
ruled. WordStar was the first word processing program that was produced for
microcomputers.
These early, um, personal computers typically ran the CP/M operating system,
that, quite frankly, bears a remarkable similarity to the MS/DOS operating
system that we (mostly) are now using. (Except that it had no
subdirectories. This wasn't quite as bad as it seems, because most users
only used floppy diskettes, and separating things onto different diskettes
served the same purpose as separating things into separate subdirectories.)
"

there's more...

------------------------------

From: Nomen Nescio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 02:50:02 +0200 (CEST)

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > What purpose is there to tell 2nd-grade children about homosexuality,
> > other to instill thoughts about homosexual behavior, which they
> > otherwise would not have even IMAGINED, let alone pondered.
>

> > When you were a 2nd-grader, what was your opinion of homosexuality?
> >
> > Did you even know what it was?
>
> The thoughts are already there. I remember that when I was in junior
> school (ie younger than 12) being called `gay' was an insult. Although we
> did not fully know what it was about, the intolerance had started. Since
> the intolerance was there, it needed to be addressed. What better time to
> address it than before it has had too long to become ingrained?

you're a few million years too late

From: "Hullo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux advocates are liars and frauds
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 01:35:09 +0100

I note you are all compelled to lie and falsify postings (the below comment
attributed to me is fake).

I guess it's true - you people make things up compulsively.

------------------------------

From: "Hullo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 01:37:36 +0100

Call Microsoft and ask.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Chronos Tachyon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux needs a standard, user proof distro
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 00:58:11 GMT

On Mon 23 Apr 2001 08:37, Edward Rosten wrote:

>> Someone complained to me in E-mail that the steps I outlined to shut
>> down a recalcitrant X window system were "too complicated."  Okay, I
>> merely write a script which does most of the commands I listed, name it
>> "killX", make it executable, and then load it into the /root account.
>> The steps I listed to kill an X session that has frozen become:
>>
>> [1] Ctlr-Alt-F7 to drop to console mode.
>
> How does this line help?
>
>> [2] Alt-F2 to get a new login screen.
>> [3] Login as root.
>> [4] Run "killX".
>
> There is a faster way for the lazy. If you enable the Sysrq key,
>
> sysrq+k kills all processes on the current terminal, ie X if it has
> frozen.
>
> sysrq = alt+print screen
>

> -Ed

The SysRq key only applies if you have compiled your kernel with that
option turned on -- and since you (or anyone at the console) can seriously
screw up your system with it, it's usually off unless you've compiled a
custom kernel with it turned on.

The *correct* sequence is:

[1] Ctrl-Alt-F2 to get a new login screen.
[2] Login as root.
[3] Run "killX" (or "killall -TERM X; sleep 3; killall -KILL X")

The Ctrl-Alt-F7 keystroke just switches to tty7, which in some distros is
actually the console where X is running in the first place.  Ctrl-Alt-F2
should switch you to tty2 on any distro I've encountered.

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 03:59:27 +0100

>> The thoughts are already there. I remember that when I was in junior
>> school (ie younger than 12) being called `gay' was an insult. Although
>> we did not fully know what it was about, the intolerance had started.
>> Since the intolerance was there, it needed to be addressed. What better
>> time to address it than before it has had too long to become ingrained?
>
> you're a few million years too late

So since the world is bad, we should not hope to change it for the
better? Is that really what you are saying?

-Ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 04:02:09 +0100

> The SysRq key only applies if you have compiled your kernel with that
> option turned on -- and since you (or anyone at the console) can
> seriously
>  screw up your system with it, it's usually off unless you've compiled a
>
> custom kernel with it turned on.

Good pont, I always compile it in, but for a lot of machines, there is
only one user. If you're careful, sysrq is very useful.

From: Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 18:50:31 -0600

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 20:48:00 -0400, "Steve Long"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>These early, um, personal computers typically ran the CP/M operating system,
>that, quite frankly, bears a remarkable similarity to the MS/DOS operating
>system that we (mostly) are now using. (Except that it had no
>subdirectories. This wasn't quite as bad as it seems, because most users
>only used floppy diskettes, <snip>

Not me. I had a 5 megabyte hard drive. :-)

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 21:04:03 -0400

"Joseph T. Adams" wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : There's a wide spectrum between no education and astrophysics.
> : And if you work 12 hours a day at a back-breaking job when you are
> : a kid, you don't get any education.
>
> : --
> : Roberto Alsina (who has seen kids aged 6 work 12 hours a day)
>
> Work is not a bad thing.  Excessive hours, bad working conditions,
> having to choose between work and learning - those may be bad things.
> But work itself is not.
>
> I worked, by choice, at least 3 hours a day since I was 9, and up to
> 11 hours a day during high school.  It was in the U.S., and it wasn't
> all that long ago, seeing as I'm 33 now.  I attended school
> continuously all but one of those years, and the year I worked the
> most, I had perfect attendance and near-perfect GPA (1 B, the rest
> As).

YOu and I are similar.  I stared working at the age of 10, getting
up at 4:00am every day to deliver newspapers.

And delivering newspapers at that time of the morning, in the
middle of winter, in Detroit....is very very cold.

And if I had to live my life all over again...I would definitely
do it again.

I bought my first stock (Crystal Oil of  Shreve Port, Louisiana)
at the age of 12.

> Would I recommend that to others?  Not necessarily.  I know I missed
> out on some things I'd have otherwise accomplished, and some of the
> work and the hours I worked weren't necessarily great for my health.
>
> But would I willingly give up that experience, and with it, the
> character and the lessons in life that it taught?  No way.
>
> Joe

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.