  Re: Intel versus Sparc (mlw)

From: John T. Kennedy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
soc.men,alt.current-events.clinton.whitewater,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.society.liberalism
Subject: Re: Feminism ==> subjugation of males
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 05:11:25 -0400

I was a little bit frightened when Lynette Warren
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said: Last night I had the strangest
dream...

>Scott Erb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> Hey, she passed her CPA exam the first try,
>
>Sounds like an intelligent woman.
>
>> works full time, and we share household
>> chores completely.
>
>So, Scott, when she wises up, as smart women tend to do in time, and
>she realizes what a scam American feminism truly is, are you going to
>dump her because she's outgrown your ideology?

I think folks are taking Dr. Erb's supposed commitment to principle,
any principle, a wee bit too seriously.

You're all assuming there is some reliable correspondence between what
he says and what he does, but I find that supposition unsupportable.

-

John Thomas Kennedy III
The Wild Shall Ever Wild Remain!
http://www.mindspring.com/~jtkennedy/itswhatitisnow.html

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 05:19:25 -0400

Edward Rosten wrote:

> >>And your point is?
> >>
> >>-Ed
>

> > homosexuality is not genetic, it is a choice.
>
> Doesn't seem like Aaron has much choice in the matter. He's hetrosexual
> and there's bugger all he can do about it. I am exactly the same. I have
> no choice in the matter.

Genetic defect.

> > The feelings we have about it are for self-preservation of our species,
> > and they are right.
>
> Right for what?
>
> -Ed
>
> --
> You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.
>
> u 9 8 e j r (at) e c s . o x . a c . u k

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob S. Wolfram)
Subject: Re: Aaron Kuklis Arrested!
Date: 25 Apr 2001 07:44:12 GMT

Kelsey Bjarnason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Matthew Gardiner"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> What possible benefits does HTML have over normal text? Apart from being
>> able to click on a click and the browser automatically loads?
>
>Several, actually, including, for example, some degree of layout control,
>the ability to highlight important items, to define headings, etc, etc.
>
>I know, I know, the idea of allowing users to have flexible control over
>things like layout and appearance is anethema to the folks who are all
>for allowing users to have flexible control over things like OS settings.
> Go figger.

First of all, HTML is not intended for layout, but (as the name implies)
for text markup. It are people who insist that HTML is ment for layout
who present us with web pages consisting of lots of junk that demand
properties of the browser so the page can be reasonably viewed. Flexible
control over layout via HTML? Flash maybe, not HTML.

Secondly, even though I oppose HTML in email (I am not very amused by
colorful backgrounds and blinking text), it is valid because it is a
valid mimetype as described in RFCs 2045-2049. Can you point me to an
RFC that describes anything but standard text in USENET? Draft RFC
maybe?

Cheers,
Rob
--
Rob S. Wolfram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  OpenPGP key 0xD61A655D
   Beauty is irrelevant.

------------------------------

From: "Scout" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 14:19:40 -0400

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

wrote:

> >>Is that not a danger? Is that not protection?
> >
> >Sure is, to the nation. However..courts have held consistently, that the
> >State has no obligation to protect the Individual.
>
> Protecting the nation is protecting the individuals.

No....it is not.

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 is Cool
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 22:19:20 +1200

Ray Chason wrote:

> "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> >>                          +------------------------+
> >>                          | PLEASE                 |
> >>                          |                        |
> >>                          | Do not feed the troll. |
> >>                          | Thank you.             |
> >>                          |                        |
> >>                          |         The Management |
> >>                          +----------+  +----------+
> >>                                     |  |
> >>                                     |  |
> >>                                     |  |
> >>                                     |  |
> >>                                     |  |
> >>                          * () ( * )(| @( )( * %@ )
> >>                          ( )(  ))( || (|)| )( )((
> >>                          --------------------------
> >

> >Is this sign GPL'd?
>
> BSD'd.  WTF, it's not like I can make any money from it anyway.
>
> --
>  --------------===============<[ Ray Chason ]>===============--------------
>          PGP public key at http://www.smart.net/~rchason/pubkey.asc
>                             Delenda est Windoze

You will probably see that in Microsoft software soon.

Matthew Gardiner
--
Disclaimer:

I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell)

If you don't like it, you can go [# rm -rf /home/luser] yourself

Running SuSE Linux 7.1

The best of German engineering, now in software form

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MIcrosoft: Words, denial and WTF!
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 22:20:27 +1200

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > You show your self off as an even bigger idiot.  As I remember
> > correctly, service packs for Windows 2000 would strictly be
> > patches/fixes etc. etc., unlike the NT 4 service packs that included not
> > only patches/fixes but new tools as well.  This "minor detail" was
> > mentioned prior to the release of Windows 2000 when Microsoft change how
> > they were going to release patches/fixes.
>
> Yes, indeed.  But the term Service Pack is already being used.   Why change
> it?  You'd much rather speculate about consipiracies than consider Occam's
> razor.
>
> > As for you Juvenile comment regarding 810 and xfree, support has been in
> > Linux since SuSE Linux 7, and might have been also included with
> > Mandrake 7.2 as well.
>
> And it's still irrelevant to the point, which is that it has nothing to do
> with XFree, unlike you claimed.
>
> > So, before you start swing from the chandlers, double check you
> > comments, or else you will nominate yourself as the newsgroup idiot.
>
> What's a chandler?

It is a fancy light fitting.

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 - It is an excellent product
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 22:39:11 +1200

Hullo wrote:

> So you run Linux because you are a poor dude?

Could you give me $2400 for a copy of Windows 2000 Pro and Office XP?

Matthew Gardiner

From: Karel Jansens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 Rocks!
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 12:00:59 +0000

Neil Cerutti wrote:

> WJP posted:
> >ISTR with my Apple //e a quasi-GUI called "Geos".  This would
> >have been circa 1984.  I had a devil of a time getting that
> >installed on the 10meg HD.  Can't be sure, as my memory of late
> >is frequently porous.
>
> I ran GEOS on my C64, also.
>
> And again in 1994 (then called Geoworks) on my dad's Gateway PC
> running Win95. He had a friend at work that was a Geos junky and
> gave him a CD to try out. Complete replacement desktop and
> application suite, though I thought the applications were more on
> the level of Microsoft Works than StarOffice or Lotus SmartSuite.
>
> I wonder if it's still being sold?
>
> Hmmm. A quick net search says, yeah. The company now sells a
> suite of software and servers for Application Service Providers.

It's called "NewDeal Office" these days.
It's a pity it took them so long to get a decent spreadsheet for the
environment (in early days they bundled Quattro Pro 3.0 for DOS with it.
Pretty silly to have an integrated environment you have to leave to do
some spreadsheeting), or I might still be running it.

I tried NewDeal under OS/2 and was amazed at the speed of the thing. I
even installed it - briefly - on an old 286 laptop hanging around and it
appeared just as speedy. I guess that's assembly for you <G>.

--
Regards,

Karel Jansens
"You're the weakest link. Goodb-No, wait! Stop! Noaaarrghh!!!"

From: Karel Jansens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Winvocates confuse me - d'oh!
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 12:19:28 +0000

Chad Myers wrote:

> And I hope you realize that NT/2K are completely different in that
> they are fully 32-bit from the get-go. No DOS at all (except as a small
> sub-system for compatibility, just like the OS/2 subsystem and POSIX
> subsystem).

OS/2 does not have a DOS "subsystem". It creates a VDM in which it runs
a full-fledged version of DOS, any version one wants, actually. Running
WinOS/2 in a separate session relied on this feature: Every Win app had
its own PC to fu... er... play with, and only the errant session got
hosed when the inevitable crash came.

Isn't NT smart enough to create VDMs?

From: Karel Jansens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 12:25:52 +0000

Donn Miller wrote:

> [x-posted to COMNA to generate flame wa-, I mean discussion.]
>
> Now, I don't think you can even boot into DOS with Windows ME.  Wonder
> why?  What is the motivation for preventing people from shutting Windows
> down and running DOS by itself?  Of course, one could always dual-boot
> with some other version of DOS (perferably Caldera OpenDOS), but
> still...

Didn't someone come up with a hack to run win95 in a DR-DOS (Caldera
changed the name back, BTW) terminal?

And if not, someone should. It would be extremely kewl.

> But does NT really operate the vid drivers in Ring 0?  That sounds like
> Windows 98 to me.  (Aaron's favorite OS.)  I know NT's video drivers run
> in kernel space, but I thought they were still restricted to ring level
> 2.

Ring 0 has been ordained from Above.

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 22:53:48 +1200

> > Well one thing that really chaps me is the state to which the profession
> > of grocery bagging has fallen.  Grocery bagging used to be an honored
> > skilled job for many a high school and college student.  It is an
> > art that requires proper techniques of load balancing and weight
> > distribution.  Cokes don't go on top of bread and eggs, etc. etc.
> >
> > At least in the town I live in, grocery baggers have become a pathetic
> > breed of pea-brained gorillas who couldn't load a decent bag of
> > groceries if their life depended on it.  A monkey from the zoo
> > could bag groceries better than these neandrethals they have
> > working the local grocery stores.
>
> Now THERE's an idea....
>
> ...and they work for peanuts!
When I was at University, I worked at a place called "Pak 'n Save", and
the customer had to pack their stuff, I simply put the items in the
shopping cart, and it was their choice to either use a re-usable bag,
buy a plastic bag at 5 cents each, or use an empty coke box.

Matthew Gardiner

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 25 Apr 2001 05:05:53 -0600

"Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> "Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Chronos Tachyon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > > For the record, I managed to get things working as non-Administrator.  I
> > > already had C:\WINNT readable/executable by Everyone, and I enabled
> > > loadable drivers per your suggestion.  Thanks.
> >
> > You can do the same thing under Linux:
> >
> > chmod a+rxs /sbin/insmod /sbin/rmmod
> >
> > Of course, that's not always thought of as a smart thing to do...
>
> But you claimed this couldn't be done.  You called me a liar, saying
> that Nero and EZCD would refuse to run if you weren't an
> administrator.

I said no such thing (you are thinking of someone else?)

> But now you are accepting that it can be done, without retracting
> your statements?

Your soluiton is not acceptable for a multi-user PC, although it may
be one step better than giving the administrator password out.  I
don't know what I should retract...

> > The NT advocates used to brag that NT lacked "insecure" set-uid flags
> > for executables.  I remember in the days of NT 3.5x and early 4.0
> > reading gloat after gloat about how insecure UNIX was compared to NT.
>
> Well, many Unixes at the time were much more insecure.  Things have
> changed quite a bit, and setuid is now fairly safe if you are
> careful and run only well audited programs as setuid (of course, as
> we've seen with BIND, that can still leave you quite open).

s/BIND/$ANY_SERVICE_ANY_OS/g

> > Now, in order to use a scanner or cdrw program, you need to give all
> > users the authority to insert kernel-code whenever they want to.
>
> As I've said a dozen times so far.  No.  This only allows you to load an
> already installed driver.  It does not allow you to install your own
> drivers.
>
> > Hmmm, I wonder if the DRIVERS folder is rxwrxwrxw  (too lazy to go and
> > check).
>
> Simply putting a driver in the directory doesn't make it installed.  You
> have to modify the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE registry, which is only modifiable by
> an adminstrator.

I was thinking more of:

  move my_evil_file drivers/atapi.sys

--
It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a slot on your ATX videoboard
Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Intel versus Sparc
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 07:11:27 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 18:13:51 -0400, mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> Impossible with a properly set up MMU.  The stack and heaps are not
> >> contiguous.
> >
> >Not true, that depends on layout.
> >
> >On the x86, process space is 32 bit, usually this space is divided in two,
> >upper 2G goes to system, lower 2G goes to process. Lately, however, lower 3G
> >has been mapped to user and upper 1G mapped to system.
> >

> The entire 2GB isn't mapped.  Unless you've got a swapfile that big, it is
> impossible for the stack to run into the heap.

That depends on the layout of he process. If the stack is close to the heap,
and you only have a few dead VM pages between bottom of stack and top of heap,
pushing a large structure can get well past it.

In a program on most x86 systems, I can put the stack where ever I like. Also,
think of threads, where does their stack come from? It is largely based on the
preferred layout of the build tools.

Lastly, on the x86, in a flat model protected environment using virtual memory,
a process is laid out in a 4G space. Only a small fraction of it is used. This
does not mean it is not laid on in the page directory as pointed to by the CR3
register. The 4G space must be defined. It just need not be very populated.

Perhaps there is some confusion of what "mapped" means and in what context.
--
I'm not offering myself as an example; every life evolves by its own laws.