Linux-Advocacy Digest #903, Volume #34            Fri, 1 Jun 01 23:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Linux beats Win2K (again) (Terry Porter)
  Re: Linux beats Win2K (again) (Terry Porter)
  Re: Linux beats Win2K (again) (Terry Porter)
  Is Open Source for You? (Chris Ahlstrom)
  Re: Linux dead on the desktop. ("Stuart Fox")
  Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the (Chris Ahlstrom)
  Re: Linux beats Win2K (again) ("Stuart Fox")
  Re: Linux beats Win2K (again) ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: Borland drops Kylix Desktop to $199 'till Aug 23! (Dave Martel)
  Re: Linux beats Win2K (again) (Terry Porter)
  Re: Linux dead on the desktop. (Terry Porter)
  Re: Linux dead on the desktop. (Terry Porter)
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop ("You've got MALE..
sex organs!")
  Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft! (Chris Ahlstrom)
  Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!
("green")
  Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft! (Chris Ahlstrom)
  Re: Linux a Miserable Consumer OS (greatfog at gisco dot net)
  Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the ("green")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: 02 Jun 2001 02:35:39 GMT

On Fri, 1 Jun 2001 14:41:59 +0200, Ayende Rahien <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Process id's are not available in Win95 or Win98, perhaps theyre avail
>> in Win2k?
>
> PID are available in Win2K, accessible via ctrl+shit+esc, and then changing
> the settings of Task Maanger.
> I think that they're available in 9x too, there just isn't any built in tool
> that expose them to the user. WinTOP come to mind, though.

Is WinTop supplied with the native Windows install ?

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 02 Jun 2001 02:37:16 GMT

On Sat, 2 Jun 2001 10:52:34 +1200,
 Stuart Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Fri, 1 Jun 2001 18:03:41 +1200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>>  ("Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>>
>> >"Chronos Tachyon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
> in
>> >message news:zlyR6.47997$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> app
>>
>> >Windows 2K maps CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to task manager which lets you blow any
> app
>> >out of the water.  How is that harder?
>>
>> But what about the mere 9x users? What equivalent to they get?
>
> They get everything they deserve.

WHAT!
At least 10% of them paid good hard currency for it, why the distain ?

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 02 Jun 2001 02:41:27 GMT

On Sat, 02 Jun 2001 02:05:00 +0100, drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Jun 2001 23:28:59 +0100, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
>>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Pete
>>Goodwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>>> Where is this example?
>>
>>I love your tactic of simply ignoring every piece of evidence and when
>>the poster won't post it for the 25th time, you accuse them of lying.
>>
>>Now this is a prime example.
>
> Will you two just fuck off please, or take it somewhere else?

Why ?

You're a new poster to COLA, Drsquare, why not just get a news
reader that has a scorefile and then you can avoid attempting to
be a good thought policeman ?

Goodwin and Rosten, are long term posters, and we are all having
a nice COLA argument over tactics.

Comments like yours, will just get *you* killfiled.

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Is Open Source for You?
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 02:46:23 GMT

I found this article interesting and not at all fanatical:

http://www.sdmagazine.com/articles/2001/0105/0105a/0105a.htm

Here's the teaser lines for it:

Is Open Source for You?                       May 2001

Apache, Cocoon and Linux aren't just useful programs, they're
best-of-breed. Some of the more intemperate free software
boosters, intoxicated by this success, claim that proprietary
software is obsolete and that it's immoral to keep your
source code secret. Well, maybe. Part 1 of 2.

by Rick Wayne

Enjoy it!

Chris

--
Please enter your Microsoft Client Access Code now,
or rat on your system administrator

------------------------------

From: "Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 14:45:41 +1200

"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Sat, 2 Jun 2001 10:53:58 +1200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >the
>
> >> Are you using a brain which doesn't enable replying to posts properly?
>
> >If you're going to read posts out of context, don't bother replying.  I
say
> >to you again, follow the thread.
>
> No thanks, I've got better things to do than play your little games.

What games?  You replied to my post completely out of context, and expect me
to take you seriously?

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 02:47:47 GMT

Chad Myers wrote:

> But what about the people who don't have two fingers? Or NO fingers at all?

Yeah!  How can they do a Ctrl-Alt-Del ????

------------------------------

From: "Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 14:47:03 +1200

"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Sat, 2 Jun 2001 10:52:34 +1200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >app
>
> >> But what about the mere 9x users? What equivalent to they get?
>
> >They get everything they deserve.
>
> What, just because they're computers came preinstalled with 9x, and
> they have no knowledge of computers, they deserve to have it crash
> every 5 minutes?

Win9x is a POS, there's little point arguing about it.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 05:45:14 +0200

"Terry Porter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Fri, 1 Jun 2001 14:41:59 +0200, Ayende Rahien <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >> Process id's are not available in Win95 or Win98, perhaps theyre avail
> >> in Win2k?
> >
> > PID are available in Win2K, accessible via ctrl+shit+esc, and then
changing
> > the settings of Task Maanger.
> > I think that they're available in 9x too, there just isn't any built in
tool
> > that expose them to the user. WinTOP come to mind, though.
>
> Is WinTop supplied with the native Windows install ?

No.

------------------------------

From: Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Borland drops Kylix Desktop to $199 'till Aug 23!
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 20:36:13 -0600

On Wed, 30 May 2001 17:56:46 -0700, "Paolo Ciambotti"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Dave Martel"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>>Hmmm... You don't suppose this is a prelude to discontinuing the
>>>product, do you?
>>
>> Hope so. IMO Borland's become too much like all the other
>> milk-the-consumer software outfits. I'd rather not see the
>> consumer-as-cash-cow attitude brought to linux.
>
>And I hope not.   A good cross-platform development environment could have
>the beneficial side effect of bringing a lot of Windows programmers and
>their products into the Linux world. They're knocking eighty percent off
>the price and you accuse them of milking the customer?

I call it "milking customers" when I pay over $500 for Borland C++
Builder ("Professional" - what a laugh!) and then have to pay another
$250 a year later for the next version and then am expected to pay
$250 again 18 months later for the one after that.

Alternatively I could have chosen not to buy any upgrade. Tell me, how
do you feel about paying over $500 for a program and never getting any
upgrades for it?

I don't know whether Borland intends to continue this policy with
Kylix, but if they do, and if the Desktop version shoots back up to
$999 in August, then customers can expect to get ripped $500 for the
"upgrade" to 2.0 and then another $500 more for the upgrade to 3.0,
etc.

>It looks to me
>like they're doing their absolute best to appeal to the more fiscally
>responsible Linux development market.

You keep making it sound like Borland gives a sh*t about their
customers. They're doing what they have to do to make money, nothing
more. They discounted Kylix either because $999 was totally beyond
what the market would bear, or because they want to hook more suckers
into the upgrade treadmill.

BTW I used to be an avid Borland fan starting with Turbo Pascal 1.0
for CP/M and purchasing every C/C++ product they made, until they
screwed me on Borland C++ Builder.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 02 Jun 2001 02:45:44 GMT

On Fri, 01 Jun 2001 20:16:17 GMT,
 Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>
>> It was a while ago Ed, and I'm tired of Pete's tirades.
>> I'm happy to just leave it and debate with more reasonable posters.
>
> If that's so then where is it?
>
> I'm getting tired of being accused of something and not a shred of
> evidence being presented.

I'm getting sick of your lame whimperings for evidence already supplied
and submitted, only to have you cut/ignore it, then ask again
for the same thing.

Can't you at least invent some new avoidance tactic, if not for Ed and I,
then for the sake of Drsquare, who seems to be getting high blood
pressure over it ?

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 02 Jun 2001 02:50:54 GMT

On Fri, 01 Jun 2001 12:48:39 +0200,
 Burkhard Wölfel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Terry Porter wrote:

>> Why does it make it hard ?
>>
>> My newsreader (Slrn) shows no such spaces in your reply to me, but your
>> lines are easy to see due to to an ">" being inserted by my newsreader
>> and each posters followups are colored differently.
>
> Other people's don't, so do.
By 'other peoples' I think you mean Windows apps ?

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 02 Jun 2001 02:53:18 GMT

On Fri, 01 Jun 2001 12:50:59 +0200,
 Burkhard Wölfel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Terry Porter wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 31 May 2001 22:02:32 +0100, drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> > It just does.

>> > It's still difficult to read.
>> Perhaps it's Agent that makes my posts hard to read ?
>>
>> Who here Does NOT have trouble reading my posts (poor spelling
>> and style excluded :)
>> ???????????????
>
> Who here does have trpuble TOO writing his or her posts in a way
> EVERYONE can read them properly?
>
> It's a question of good will, not of necessity.
> Be kind, Terry. Please. :-)

Hahaha Burkhard, who could refuse such a pleasant request!

Now would you please stop using Ms junk and get a real newsreader ?
;-)

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: "You've got MALE.. sex organs!" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 21:01:05 -0600

I'll have to bow to Aaron's expertise on the subject of penises in
anuses..

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 02:57:42 GMT

Daniel Johnson wrote:

> "Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > You're half right.  GIMP uses GTK+, which has been
> > ported to Windows.  It would have been hell to port
> > if it had used Xlib directly.
>
> Why? Surely it is simply a matter of running
> an X Server, if it did do so?

Sure.  If you can find a decent free X server for
Windows.  It seems to me that the GIMP authors
don't want to have to depend on your average Windoze
user finding, downloading, installing, and configuring
an X-Server just to run a paint program.

> It's easier, anyway. But ignoring end users
> desire for a consistant, familiar user interface
> is not usually wise.

Try for consistent spelling first.  Anyway, you
used the key word, "usually".  Anyone who has mastered
one set of conventions can usually master another.
That is why I can edit documents with vi, emacs,
and your "standard" [not all Microsoft functions
adhere] CUA interface editor.

> Hmmm. I take it you feel that they
> should have slavishly copied the
> Macintosh Toolbox, despite its not
> inconsiderable warts, then?

I don't know shit about Macintosh.  I'm talking about
Microsoft ignoring some pretty useful UNIX conventions.

> I don't think it is. You can profitably
> port software between (say) the Macintosh
> and Windows and *ignore* Unix. If you
> do you will have to somehow cope with
> the difference between the APIs- but
> most of the features you'll be using on
> one are present in *some* form on the
> other.
>
> That is not true if you include Unix.

Again I say unto you, what you say here is utter
boolshit.  Apart from the exact keystroke or
mouse sequences, I've not found anything in
Windows functionality that UNIX lacks.
But, hey, I've still got a couple more decades
of computer experience to come, don't I!

> > More stuff you said that I'd like to contest,
> > but just got home from a soccer game, and I'm
> > tired!
>
> Let me know if you change your mind.

Well, sort of.  Just got home from another soccer
game.  This time just watching... Charleston
Battery vs. Carolina Dynamo.  I'm tired, hoarse,
sweaty, and I need more beer (preferably
Boddington's).

Chris

From: "green" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
dust!
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 13:06:18 +1000

"GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Rotten168 wrote:
> >
> > drsquare wrote:

> > > Why should X change just because a few people seem to find it too
> > > difficult to press the left and right buttons at the same time?

Windows

> > > What, you're saying normal users shouldn't be given the option of a
> > > stable operating system?
> >
> > Well... no I'm not saying that, but Windows is easier on the eyes, it's
> > more user-friendly (whatever that means nowadays), it's got a faster
> > redraw rate than Linux. It's easier to do do "stuff" with. The tradeoff
> > is that it locks up every few uses or so.
> >
> > I'm not saying Linux is a bad OS, it's just not a good desktop OS,
> > delivering more power (and, yes, stability) than the average user needs
> > and sacrificing speed, ease of use, and aesthetics.
>
> I couldn't call Win9.x series a good desktop.  You should see the kick
> and scuff marks on the side of my wifes' computer!  Starts a print
> process and halfway thru it locks up the whole system.  Call that a good
> O/S??

are you sure you didn't dislodge a parallel port/serial port card while
kicking it? ;)

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 03:03:23 GMT

Daniel Johnson wrote:

> > No, just a fair number of window managers!
>
> That does let you do a *small* part of what
> Kalidioscope does- you can change the way
> window frames look, and the widgets in the
> title bar.
>
> That's something. But it's not very much.

Can you tell me what Kaleidoscope does?  (Feel
free to tell me to f*ck off and research it
on my own, I won't be offended).

> I've played with GIMP for Win32, and it has an
> awful user interface; I do hope this is an artifact
> of the porting. But if so, then porting is clearly
> problematic.

GIMP indeed has an awful user interface.  Much
the same kind of user interface as PaintShop
Pro.  Both of them are as nonintuitive (at first)
as making X-Y plots in Excel 2000.

> VBA isn't a windows feature, but it is supported
> by things like OLE Automation. The Macintosh
> equivalent is the "Open Scripting Architecture"
> (credit where it is due- Apple had this first); OS/2
> had a simpler thing called REXX.
>
> Linux is *exceptional* as a "desktop OS" for
> not having this feature- and quite a few others
> too.

What do you mean?  Linux has bash and many other
script processors.  And any app can use OS
functions to spawn them!  What you say makes
no sense!  Perhaps our internal maps of the
world differ too much right now for us to
have any meeting of minds.  What you're saying
just sounds incredible to me as I sit here
using Linux.

Chris

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Linux a Miserable Consumer OS
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (greatfog at gisco dot net)
Date: 1 Jun 2001 23:02:39 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Edward Rosten
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote
>on Sun, 13 May 2001 10:14:53 +0100
><9dlfpb$jbb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>> Presumably also in human medicine.  If one's shit is a black color,
for
>>> instance, that's possible evidence of internal bleeding within the
>>> digestive tract.  I don't know if shit can be white, although it
might
>>                                                ^^^^^^
>>

>>Bird shit.
>>
>>:)
>
>Heh...I was thinking human, but you're right. :-)
>
>[.sigsnip]
<snip>
Helpful Household Hint: In persons afflicted with hepatitis, the absence
of bilirubin causes their shit to become extremely pale.  The kidneys
try to take over excretion of bilirubin and their piss becomes
astonishingly dark.
--
greatfog at gisco dot com

------------------------------

From: "green" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 13:10:35 +1000

"Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Chad Myers wrote:
> >>
> > But what about the people who don't have two fingers? Or NO fingers at
all?

> Yeah!  How can they do a Ctrl-Alt-Del ????

you mean they can't log in to a nt workstation with that feature on?