From: Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Women's rights and responsibilities.
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 19:53:00 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> jet wrote:
> >
> > Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > year, I

> > own

> > the
> > terms

> > or

> > bad,

> > women

> > unescorted,

> > States
> > feminism

> > jobs

> > > Yes, that *IS* what you were trying to pull.
> >
> > Gee, why did you snip the part where I said you can have the right to do
> > something, but not the power? You tried to switch "power" for "right".

> If I snipped it, then how could i switch it, you ignorant cunt...

Aaron, calling someone that word is indicative that this is about more
than a discussion of the faults/merits of modern feminism and is more
representative that you are here to act out some rage/aggression that
you built up over the years.

Anyway it's still crass and crude and totally unneeded. Please don't
make me killfile you for the fourth (?) time.

--
- Brent

http://rotten168.home.att.net

------------------------------

From: Chronos Tachyon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 19:55:26 GMT

On Wed 25 Apr 2001 02:43, Roberto Alsina wrote:

> Chronos Tachyon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>Not to discount your experience, but my experience leads me to believe
>>that
>>#1 is the more dominant factor for a lot of people.  In my entire life, I
>>have never found a woman sexually attractive.  When my dad gave me a few
>>issues of Playboy, I read the articles.  I have dreamed about having sex
>>with a woman exactly twice, and both were nightmares.  Surely, most people
>>living heterosexual lives don't have these sorts of experiences, right?
>
> Everyone has. Ok, not the nightmare part, but the articles in Playboy are
> actually pretty good. I remember reading Mailer, Asimov, Bradbury, and
> many others there.

I meant, reading the articles and NEVER, NOT ONCE, looking at the pictures
without thinking, "Wow, this is boring."

--
Chronos Tachyon
Guardian of Eristic Paraphernalia

------------------------------

From: Sky King <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 16:08:44 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > jet wrote:
> > >
> > > Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > year, I

> > > own

> > > the
> > > terms

> > > or

The women choose to live there so its their social choice. sky

Unless of course women choose their lifestyle and have NO other
choices at ALL. This is not the case.  They could leave the
country etc. sky

> > > bad,

Nope.  We think the less clothing the better on our women. sky

> > > women

Well we have AA, quotas, diversity hiring, the VAWA, the Child
Abandon Law and on and on.  All these benefit women and not
men. Only men are forced by law to support kids that are not theirs.
Name some that benefit only men. sky

> > > unescorted,

> > > States
> > > feminism

> > > jobs

Nope.  Same pay for SAME job. sky

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Pete Goodwin is in good company
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 19:59:52 GMT

Gary Hallock wrote:

> With Redhat, setting up DHCP is trivially simple.  During the install, it
> detected both my token ring and my ethernet cards.  For each it asked me
> if I wanted to use DHCP.  I checked the DHCP box for the the token ring
> and entered the static address for the ethernet.  When I booted up after
> the install both cards worked flawlessly.

And in my case it didn't work.

--
Pete

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 20:01:27 GMT

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> Yet no reply for 2 days. hmm, Pete is suffering from the typical luser
> syndrom called "It ain't fucking work'in, but I won't do anything about
> it".  I offer a suggest, but no, that would mean that his problem is
> solve, thus, nothing to bitch about, and as a result, poor old Pete
> would have nothing to bitch about.

Two days? It never occured to you that I might be off the internet due to
my ISP? That I haven't seen your post? Or a myriad of other reasons???

--
Pete

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Date: 25 Apr 2001 20:09:05 GMT

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 16:08:44 -0400, Sky King <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The women choose to live there so its their social choice. sky

Actually, no, they don't. They are not allowed to leave the country without
autorization. Think about it, how do you leave the country without
leaving the house?

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: "B.B." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 15:16:29 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

@"B.B." wrote:
@>
@> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
@>  "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
@>
@> [...]
@>
@> @You're making the mistake of assuming the JS PL ever attended college
@> @in the first place.
@>
@>    On the upside, his .sig is of a fairly reasonable length.
@>
@
@And your point is?

   Your .sig is too long.  Even us uneducated types can spot it.

--
B.B.             --I am not a goat! [EMAIL PROTECTED] @airmail.net

------------------------------

From: "Stephen Fuld" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 20:25:31 GMT

> Jeffrey Boulier wrote:

> > I don't know that much about IBM's pre-360 line of equipment, but in the
> > Olden Dayes most computer vendors made the source code available for
what
> > little there was of their operating systems.
>
> Wrong.  In the 1960's, if a non-IBM programmer wrote even a single line
> of code on your IBM/360, it voided the warranty.

Technically true, but in practice wrong.  Many customers modified their
operating systems for unique site requirements.  Though the vendor *could*
then refuse to support the site, in fact, a customer was too valuable to
give up that easily.  So they generally tried to work with you, especially
if it was clear that a reported bug was totally unrelated to any changes you
had made.  Of course if you reported a bug and it turned out to have been
your, you got a nasty talking to.  Many of the "customer unique"
enhancements proved so generally useful that the vendors adopted them,
supported them, etc.  Some very useful products came about this way.

--
    -  Stephen Fuld

------------------------------

From: chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 20:27:37 GMT

Chronos Tachyon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On Wed 25 Apr 2001 09:28, chrisv wrote:
>
>> Chronos Tachyon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>>Hint: even if I did have some sort of "magic fairy dust" to make arbitrary
>>>men turn gay, that doesn't mean that they would suddenly find me
>>>attractive, much less a potential lifemate.
>>
>> True, but irrelevant.  It increases your odds.   More gays is a "good
>> thing" for you.
>>

>I suppose, in the same sense that rohypnol is a "good thing" for straight
>guys trying to pick up women in bars.

IMO you conceded defeat by saying something as stupid as this.

------------------------------

From: Scott Erb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Feminism ==> subjugation of males
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 20:28:52 GMT

Chad Everett wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 11:22:58 -0400, Scott D. Erb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> >Lynette Warren wrote:
> >
> >>what a scam American feminism truly is
> >
> >How do you define feminism?  In feminist theory they are many kinds.  A
>                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> What the heck is "feminist theory"?

Did you read beyond that point?  I explained a bit about it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: bank switches from using NT 4
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 20:29:37 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Chad Myers
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Sun, 22 Apr 2001 15:57:56 GMT
<8cDE6.143327$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>"Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:9btk47$iqs$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> the
>> than a

>> availability,
>> >
>> > Here in the body of the article you say they are moving from "expensive"
>> > Unix machines to Windows 2000 Datacentre, yet, in the subject you say,
>> > "bank switches from using NT 4", bit of a contridiction?
>>
>> Not really.
>>
>> W2DC boxes are far less expensive that UNIX counterparts.
>
>Especially when you consider that all Win2KDC OEMs provide uptime
>guarantees in the 4 and 5 9's range for only a fraction of the cost
>of a similar guarantee for a Unix system.

Great marketing gimmick on Microsoft's part.  Of course, 5 9's
is equivalent to 5 reboots per year, as it turns out (assuming a reboot
takes 1 minute):

1 year = 365.2425 days = 31556952 seconds
5 9's refers to 99.999% uptime = 00.001% downtime = 1e-5 year
  = 315.56952 sec = 5 minutes, 15.56952 seconds

It's not clear to me whether Unix can match this, or not -- it's
also not clear to me that Microsoft can match this, or not.

It's clear that Win2k is a superior product -- to NT, if nothing else.
How superior remains to be seen.

[rest snipped]

                    This is a pithy statement.  Please watch where you pith.

------------------------------

From: Chronos Tachyon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 20:41:58 GMT

On Wed 25 Apr 2001 03:27, chrisv wrote:

> Chronos Tachyon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

  [Snip]

>>I suppose, in the same sense that rohypnol is a "good thing" for straight
>>guys trying to pick up women in bars.
>
> IMO you conceded defeat by saying something as stupid as this.

I see no such concession.  The fact is that I find the idea of altering any
important component of another person's identity without consent, including
sexuality, to be morally reprehensible and a subjugation of free will.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: More Lies from a Linux "advocate"
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 13:54:04 -0700

mlw wrote:

> Nigel Feltham wrote:
> >

> > > With MS software, the fact that there's already a glut of MS software
> > > out there creates a need for more MS software because of the avalanche
> > > effect.  With the open source software, once companies invest in OSS,
> > > this creates a need for more OSS.  So, maybe the recession is an
> > > opportunity for a break-out.
> > >

> > True - although once companies invest in OSS they will realise what
> > bullshit the constant upgrade treadmill really is and closed-source
> > companies will lose revenue from upgrades and close down.
> >
> > How can we ensure ths only happens to monopolist scum and not the good guys
> > (for example small businesses writing proprietry solutions on a
> > per-customer basis)?
>
> The "upgrade treadmill" is not an invention of the PC, it is an american
> business strategy. If 1950's car is great, there is no need to buy 1954's.
>
> The trick is to make a product last long enough to make the customer think they
> got their money's worth, but not so long that they don't keep buying.
> --
> I'm not offering myself as an example; every life evolves by its own laws.
> ------------------------
> http://www.mohawksoft.com

Yes, its called planned obsolescence.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Intel versus Sparc
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 14:06:23 -0700

Tom Wilson wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Tom Wilson wrote:
> > >
> > > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> created
> for
> > > the
> platform.

> programmer
> > > not

> > > I've seen a lot of engineers write code like that. The maxim about never
> > > giving engineers a compiler and never giving programmers a soldering
> iron is
> > > pretty accurate. <g>
> >
> > That's why I studied both software AND hardware when I was in school.
> >

> I did pretty much the same. Brief stint in Med School too.
>
> I think electrical engineering students are better served by having a strong
> CS background as are CS types knowing how their tools actually function.

Thats what the gov. figured also.  We received Computer hardware and
software education.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 14:07:50 -0700

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> >
> > Tom Wilson wrote:
> > >
> > > "Kelsey Bjarnason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:9q%E6.1338$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > this
> > >
> > > That was my thinking, too. Why on God's green earth would the programmer not
> > > anticipate such a thing and simply pass a pointer to the array?
> >
> > That 64 Mb object was not a /parameter/....  it was a LOCAL VARIABLE!!!!!!
> >
> > <screams>
> >
> > Believe it or not!
> >
> > As for the programmer doing such a stupid thing, he obviously found
> > that it worked on his platform, so figured all platforms could
> > handle such a monstrosity!
>
> Still bad form for pushing a variably-sized structure rather than
> pushing the pointer to it.

I agree.  Even the textbooks on this subject advocate using a pointer
rather than pushing the entire struct value.