From: Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Article: Want Media Player 8? Buy Windows XP
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 23:00:54 -0600

On 26 Apr 2001 16:42:18 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad
Everett) wrote:

>On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 19:57:49 GMT, Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Dave Martel wrote:
>>>
>>> Why do I have the feeling that only Media Player 8 and later versions
>>> will eventually be able to play content-protected media?
>>>
>>> <http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-5712920.html>
>>>
>>> Want Media Player 8? Buy Windows XP
>>> By Joe Wilcox
>>> Staff Writer, CNET News.com
>>> April 24, 2001, 1:40 p.m. PT
>>>
>>> "Microsoft is requiring consumers who want to use the latest version
>>> of Windows Media Player to upgrade to the new Windows XP operating
>>> system--a move that is reminiscent of the company's controversial
>>> decision to tie the Internet Explorer browser with Windows."
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> "'There are some features with Windows Media Player that can only be
>>> delivered with Windows XP,' said Jonathan Usher, Microsoft's group
>>> product manager for Windows Media Player. These include CD burning and
>>> DVD movie playback, among other features not available with earlier
>>> versions of the product."
>>
>>I'm glad I'm using Linux, and don't have to worry about this
>>kind of shit.
>>
>>Chris
>>

>Except, of course, if there are radio stations or other broadcast
>entities that only push out Windows Media Player format.  Microsoft
>is really trying to corner this market.  They wanted to do this
>with Java and other Internet protocols too, but they seem to be
>having more success with Windows Media Player.  I don't know why
>there isn't more outrage about this.

I think because streaming audio is another brilliant technological
solution desperately in search of a problem. I've certainly never
found any great need for it.

Anyway, here's another late-breaking story:

<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-5744735.html>

Anti-piracy firm sues Microsoft
By John Borland
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
April 26, 2001, 6:05 p.m. PT

"InterTrust, one of several companies providing technology to protect
songs and videos from being illegally copied, sued Microsoft Thursday,
saying the giant's music and video software illegally infringes its
patent rights."

"The smaller Santa Clara, Calif., company says Microsoft, which has
added strong anti-copying mechanisms to its Windows Media Player, has
come too close to InterTrust's patent-protected technology."

"InterTrust is asking the court to force Microsoft to stop using its
anti-piracy technology--an action that could force the giant to
disable a key feature in its highly touted new multimedia software. It
is also asking for an unspecified amount of financial damages."

From: Joseph Lemurmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 23:16:08 -0600

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001 02:57:26 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> expounded:

<
<Question #1
<How long have women been telling you that men should find obese 50-year
<old hags just as attractive as 22-year old women?
<

As long as UNIX has been better than Winos, maybe longer.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 00:13:38 -0500

"GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> >
> > "Steve Long" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:9c2ais$eff$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > sorry...Excel is a MicroPro ripoff.  come to think of it, the name
> > > "Microsoft" is a MicroPro ripoff.
> >
> > Microsoft has existed since 1975.  When did MicroPro come into being?
>
> So??

He claimed that the name Microsoft was a "ripoff" of MicroPro, as if they
couldn't even think up their own name by themselves but had to borrow
someone elses.

> > >  WNT is a VMS rip-off...
> >
> > That is a coincidence.  The name was originally created to reference
OS/2
> > New Technology, but when MS and IBM split, they changed it to Windows
New
> > Technology (then later changed it to say that NT didn't stand for
anything
> > since abbreviations are non-trademarkable)
> >
> > > for those that
> > > recall HAL (the letters of IBM backed up one each), WNT is VMS forward
one
> > > character each.
> >
> > Arthur C. Clark has said time and time again that this is also a
> > coincidence.  HAL stands for Heuristic, Algorithmic and Logarithmic
> > Computer.
>
> Yes, but you also have to know that Clark, on his deathbed retracted an
> awful lot of statements.

Uhh.. considering that he's not yet dead, that would be quite a feat.

------------------------------

From: Ace Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows is a virus
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 05:17:15 GMT

Nigel Feltham wrote:
>> Windows does the job it was designed for: Corrupt user's data, and
>> keep the dimwitted moron's expectations so low that they are easily
>> impressed by a whole 36 hours of continous uptime.
>
> I wish my win98 system would stay up that long - I have almost totally
> given up bothering with win98 on my dual-boot system in favour of mandrake
> 7.2 now it has got so unreliable everytime I try to start IE4 the system
> locks solid and I am so pissed off with the hassle I don't want the bother
> of yet another reinstall knowing I will only have to repeat the process in
> another few months when it trashes itself again.

So why the hell DOES windows always trash itself every few months?

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: To Erik Funkenbusch
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 00:17:20 -0500

Hahahah :)

Thanks for the laugh Terry.  Don't worry, I have plenty of derision for
certain Linux advocates, and have not been afraid to use it.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Bye all. Wow the Linux scene has changed.
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 00:19:11 -0500

"The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message
> >>    Why should you declare int main(int argc,char **argv) if you are not
> >> going
> >> to parse parameters ? I personally don't understand people that do hate
> >> void main(void), since is just a declaration ... let the OS place them,
but
> >> just
> >> forget about them if you do not need.
> >
> >If you're not going to declare parameters, the correct way is
> >
> >int main() {}
>
> Pedant point: while the declaration is OK, one will probably
> want
>
> int main() { return 0; }

Actually, the return is optional.  But the standard does require you to
provide a return value of int to main().

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows 2K is crappy: a couple of examples
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 00:20:58 -0500

"Terry Porter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > I recently upgraded the CD burner in my dual-boot win98se / mandrake 7.2
> > machine from a 2x2x6 speed unit to a 12x10x32 speed unit - the result on
> > booting into linux was the system showed no indication that the hardware
> > had changed but burning a CDRW disc resulted in a complete disc in about
6
> SIX MINUTES!!!! ouch!
> My Ricoh 8*8*32 takes a full ten minutes, under Linux (no Windows, dont'
touch
> the stuff myself)!

My Yamaha 16X/10X/40X does it in about 5 :)

It was actually quite cheap, less than $200.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 00:21:39 -0500

"Terry Porter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > 1)  Run the program as administrator from your user account.
> > 2)  Give the user the user rights to load and unload device drivers.
> Your kidding right ....?
> Give the user the rights to load and unload device drivers ???
>
> Doesnt this compromise the system security not to mention its stability ?

How?

------------------------------

From: Ralph Miguel Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 Rocks!
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 07:24:26 +0200

Nigel Feltham wrote:

>> Typical Outlook-User.  Have a look at his odd-designed Postings, even
>> Beta-Status KNode does a better job.
>>

> Wow - until reading this I didn't realise KNode is only Beta Status - I
> have been using it since january and due to the lack of crashes in use
> (compared to outlook's regular GPF's) I assumed it was the final version.
>
> Viewing the About screen does confirm it's status though - I'm using
> version 0.3.2 (supplied with my mandrake 7.2 distro). Decent about screen
> too - how many windoze programs let you view the Licence agreement from
> there rather than the once time viewing during the installer they normally
> use -  I am also amazed how many windows program licence agreements state
> that the licence has been agreed to if the software has been opened yet
> you cannot see this agreement without opening the package, I'm sure this
> must be illegal under some fair trading rules.

KNode is a fine appliciation, made for idiots like me.
>I'm sure this  must be illegal under some fair trading rules.< Isn't there
a piece of paper shipped with these windows programs ? What if you open
this package and that software doesn't fit your needs ? If I buy a buggy
car or a book without letters, I would return it to the seller immediately.
The last software I bought was Applixware; at least in Germany
Applixware is shipped with a little booklet containing the license
condition. This seems fair enough, but Applixware is not a windows
program.... .

Cheers

Ralph Miguel Hansen
Using S.u.S.E. 4.3 and SuSE 7.1

------------------------------

From: Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 05:41:20 GMT

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> > >
> > > "Steve Long" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:9c2ais$eff$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > Microsoft has existed since 1975.  When did MicroPro come into being?
> >
> > So??
>
> He claimed that the name Microsoft was a "ripoff" of MicroPro, as if they
> couldn't even think up their own name by themselves but had to borrow
> someone elses.

> > > That is a coincidence.  The name was originally created to reference
> OS/2
> > > New Technology, but when MS and IBM split, they changed it to Windows
> New
> > > Technology (then later changed it to say that NT didn't stand for
> anything
> > > since abbreviations are non-trademarkable)

> one
> > >
> > > Arthur C. Clark has said time and time again that this is also a
> > > coincidence.  HAL stands for Heuristic, Algorithmic and Logarithmic
> > > Computer.
> >
> > Yes, but you also have to know that Clark, on his deathbed retracted an
> > awful lot of statements.
>
> Uhh.. considering that he's not yet dead, that would be quite a feat.

Yeah uh,I wonder if that's what he retracted.
--
- Brent

http://rotten168.home.att.net

------------------------------

From: "Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why do Win advocates suck?  Part 1
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 13:40:59 +0800

"Paolo Ciambotti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <9c9t6e$ttq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Todd"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: [snip]
> >>
> >>    And you think that cannot be done under Linux?
> >
> > Linux wouldn't even recognize my sound card nor LAN card.  And the
> > graphics config. is non-intuitive at best.
> >
> > And no, there are no drivers for twin view that I could find.
>
> You didn't look very hard.  Matrox G-400 Dual-Head works just fine on
> RH7.0 with XF86-4.0.2.

Well, since I have a Nvidia GeForce 2 MX TwinView, the matrox drivers aren't
going to help much.

>  TV-out is also supposed to work,

That's comforting to know something is *supposed* to work.

Under Windows, we know it *does* work.

> but I'm out of
> room on my desk so I haven't tried it.

Well, if you have the money, get two LCD displays... takes up a lot less
space than one monitor.

Very nice setup indeed.

-Todd

------------------------------

From: Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 05:42:44 GMT

Ace Jones wrote:

> Nigel Feltham wrote:
> >> Windows does the job it was designed for: Corrupt user's data, and
> >> keep the dimwitted moron's expectations so low that they are easily
> >> impressed by a whole 36 hours of continous uptime.
> >
> > I wish my win98 system would stay up that long - I have almost totally
> > given up bothering with win98 on my dual-boot system in favour of mandrake
> > 7.2 now it has got so unreliable everytime I try to start IE4 the system
> > locks solid and I am so pissed off with the hassle I don't want the bother
> > of yet another reinstall knowing I will only have to repeat the process in
> > another few months when it trashes itself again.
>
> So why the hell DOES windows always trash itself every few months?

Yeah, what I've noticed is that it trashes itself then magically repairs
itself. I get severe bugs for a few weeks and then they go away. Weird.
MS may have programmed the first truly sentient software ever... it has
moods!
--
- Brent

http://rotten168.home.att.net

------------------------------

From: "Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 13:47:54 +0800

"Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Dave Martel wrote:
> >
> > Why do I have the feeling that only Media Player 8 and later versions
> > will eventually be able to play content-protected media?
> >
> > <http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-5712920.html>
> >
> > Want Media Player 8? Buy Windows XP
> > By Joe Wilcox
> > Staff Writer, CNET News.com
> > April 24, 2001, 1:40 p.m. PT
> >
> > "Microsoft is requiring consumers who want to use the latest version
> > of Windows Media Player to upgrade to the new Windows XP operating
> > system--a move that is reminiscent of the company's controversial
> > decision to tie the Internet Explorer browser with Windows."
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > "'There are some features with Windows Media Player that can only be
> > delivered with Windows XP,' said Jonathan Usher, Microsoft's group
> > product manager for Windows Media Player. These include CD burning and
> > DVD movie playback, among other features not available with earlier
> > versions of the product."
>
> I'm glad I'm using Linux, and don't have to worry about this
> kind of shit.

Well, see, with Windows XP, you have a choice.  You can use the free Media
Player, or you can use one of a bazillion different other media players out
there... some of them quite good.

You can choose whether or not to use XP or the media player.  Just like you
chose to use Linux.  So where is the problem?

Of course, all of the good media applications are for Windows, but hey, if
you are fanatic about Linux, using substandard apps. is the norm.

-Todd

------------------------------

From: Chronos Tachyon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bank switches from using NT 4
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 06:15:15 GMT

On Thu 26 Apr 2001 10:36, Chad Myers wrote:

  [Snip]

>> Hmm, sounds familiar, I wonder who else fits that description... ISTR
>> there was this one chap claiming that SSH was horribly insecure because
>> of a few
>> minor imperfections in the protocol.  Hmm, now who was that?
>
> Heh, grasping at straws again.
>
> I maintained that I was not an expert, nor claimed to be. I was merely
> raising questions about what EXPERTS and people who had ORIGINALLY worked
> on the product said about it's problems.
>
> How you mistook that for pretense I'll never figure out...

Not experts, expert.  One guy.  And he had a financial stake in getting
people to upgrade, because SSH1 is open source but SSH2 costs money.

> Whereas this guy was all
> lofty-high-and-mighty-big-bad-200-years-of-Unix-experience.
>
> If you look up pretense in the dictionary, there's a picture of this guy's
> ass.

The question was valid.  How can one claim, with any sort of statistical
reliability, that something offers 5 9's reliability unless it has been
tested long enough?  This isn't like physics, where you can say "Well, this
room of 12 Win2K servers have all been running without a hitch for a month
now, so obviously Win2K can stay up for a year."

  [Snip]
>> I would hardly trust production systems to beta software from a company
>> with Microsoft's track record on stability, but to each their own I
>> suppose.

  [Snip boasting of those products that actually have a decent track record]
> Microsoft's trackrecord for stability is top notch.
>
> Perhaps you're referring to back in the NT 3.51 and 4.0 days 6 or more
> years ago.

I was referring to Microsoft in general.  From an outsider's perspective,
it would seem that the only time they bother throwing good programmers at a
software project is when it can buy them good PR or when it will rake in
obscenely huge amounts of cash, and that the majority of MS's army of
programmers is rather mediocre.

> Where was Linux at 6 years ago? Hardly an enterprise high-availability
> server. You have no leg to stand on, let along speak from in this
> department.

Ooh, the Great Chad Has Spoken.

  [Snip]

>> This paragraph had me LOLing in real life for a good 30 seconds.  Chad,
>> you certainly know how to perk up my day.  Oh, what's that, you're
>> SERIOUS?  Excuse me...
>
> Just the facts. If you have a hard time swallowing the glaring obvious,
> then you should consult a physician. The truth is, the only time Linux is
> used in any type of enterprise-level capacity is when it's in some type of
> rediculously
> large cluster of hundreds of boxes.

I never said it was a wise thing to put Linux on a large server (especially
due to the scalability and performance issues), I just made the claim that
it could be done without Linux crashing, locking up, or otherwise failing.
The stability bugs in Linux tend to show a strong dependence on hardware or
extremely rare situations, because the obvious bugs have already been
tracked down and fixed.

> I don't see any major stock exchanges, pharmeceutical firms, financial
> houses, datawarehousing firms, or the like running on "Enterprise Linux".
>

>From Netcraft:

Dow Jones       www.dowjones.com        N-E/Solaris, avg. uptime is 33 days
Nasdaq          www.nasdaq.com          IIS-5/Win2K, avg. uptime is 19 days
Bristol-Myers   www.bms.com             N-E/Solaris, avg. uptime is 314 days
JP Morgan       www.jpmorgan.com        N-E/Solaris, avg. uptime is 3 days
Merrill Lynch   www.ml.com              IIS-4/WinNT, no uptime info
[I don't know the names of any data warehousing firms offhand.]

Not a whole lot of ringing endorsements for any platform among the
categories you mentioned (although Solaris comes close), which isn't
surprising since none of them depend on web servers for their livelihoods.
Unfortunately, it's difficult to find out what any company runs internally
for their *real* computers unless they feel like telling you.  Which brings
us to...

> OTOH, I seem them running on Win2K Enterprise servers like Advanced Server
> and Datacenter server.

Funny, I don't, unless they're shouting across the rooftops in praise of M$
because they got a hefty discount in exchange for an endorsement.  At
least, I presume that that's what's going on, since big-iron Solaris
customers don't seem to be making press releases about why they chose Sun.

> Sure, Linux may be able to crank out static web pages with the best of
> them, but high-availability millions-of-transactions-per-hour type stuff?
> ROFL, Linux is nowhere to be found.

Not yet, anyway.

> Hell, they just recently fixed a multi-threaded networking kernel issue.
> That's kindergarten kernel stuff and they expect us to believe that Linux
> is magically Enterprise ready?
>
> Perhaps Linux 6.0, but 2.4 still has a long, long way to go before it's
> in the league of Solaris, Win2K, etc.

I never said Linux was in Solaris's league today, but I doubt the story
will be the same after another kernel cycle or two, especially with IBM and
SGI showing interest in improving Linux's upward scalability.

>> OK, I'm back.  Well, Linux admittedly isn't quite yet up-to-snuff as far
>> as performance goes on the bigger iron machines, although 2.4 has
>> improved the
>> situation.  But to claim that it merely falls over is bullshit.
>
> 2.4 is an improvement, I am not denying you that, but it's still not the
> pinnacle of stability like Solaris or Win2K. There are still major issues
> with Linux, not the least of which is no major adoptions in the enterprise
> arena.

Hmm, what's wrong with this picture?  "There are no major adoptions of
Linux in the enterprise."  "Why not?"  "Because Linux hasn't proven itself
yet."  "How can Linux prove itself?"  "By being adopted into the enterprise
arena."

> The fact is, we simply don't know how many more failings in the
> Linux kernel there are because no one has put it under enough stress or
> relied on it for their entire organization like many corporations have
> with Win2K datacenter.

Hopefully, the presence of Linux on S/390 will grab people's attention and
Linux will get the stress-testing it needs to improve.

--
Chronos Tachyon
Guardian of Eristic Paraphernalia

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 23:19:05 -0700

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> > >
> > > "Steve Long" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:9c2ais$eff$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > Microsoft has existed since 1975.  When did MicroPro come into being?
> >
> > So??
>
> He claimed that the name Microsoft was a "ripoff" of MicroPro, as if they
> couldn't even think up their own name by themselves but had to borrow
> someone elses.

> > > That is a coincidence.  The name was originally created to reference
> OS/2
> > > New Technology, but when MS and IBM split, they changed it to Windows
> New
> > > Technology (then later changed it to say that NT didn't stand for
> anything
> > > since abbreviations are non-trademarkable)

> one
> > >
> > > Arthur C. Clark has said time and time again that this is also a
> > > coincidence.  HAL stands for Heuristic, Algorithmic and Logarithmic
> > > Computer.
> >
> > Yes, but you also have to know that Clark, on his deathbed retracted an
> > awful lot of statements.
>
> Uhh.. considering that he's not yet dead, that would be quite a feat.

Last I read in the newspapers he was dead. :-)

Ok, about the micro-pro thing.  I was trying to remember who wrote
Electric Pencil.
That one ran on CP/M.
Microsoft and Micropro were small companies back then.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Pete Goodwin is in good company
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 23:20:18 -0700

GreyCloud wrote:

> Pete Goodwin wrote:
> >
> > Terry Porter wrote:
> >
> > > You still don't get it, Linux **DOES NOT WANT TO REPLACE** Windows!
> >
> > That's why I see articles like "SuSE 7.1 is a Windows killer"?
> >
> > > That would be like a Hornet wanting to replace a Cesna light aircraft!
> >
> > Better tell the folks at SuSE then!

> > > Then try something else to solve your problems.
> >
> > I've tried Windows. I've tried Linux. Oh I'll try Macinstosh next, shall I?

 Hey, that's not a bad idea!  Buy one and report what you find. I'd be
 interested.

> > > Oh I'd enjoy that, I'm exactly the pita in real life that I appear to be
> > > here on COLA :)
> >
> > I don't like the Jerry Springer show, so I wouldn't enjoy it 8(.
> >
> > --
> > Pete

(Spelling error.)

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 23:24:47 -0700

Todd wrote:

> "Paolo Ciambotti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <9c9t6e$ttq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Todd"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: [snip]

> > > Linux wouldn't even recognize my sound card nor LAN card.  And the
> > > graphics config. is non-intuitive at best.
> > >
> > > And no, there are no drivers for twin view that I could find.
> >
> > You didn't look very hard.  Matrox G-400 Dual-Head works just fine on
> > RH7.0 with XF86-4.0.2.
>
> Well, since I have a Nvidia GeForce 2 MX TwinView, the matrox drivers aren't
> going to help much.
>
> >  TV-out is also supposed to work,
>
> That's comforting to know something is *supposed* to work.
>
> Under Windows, we know it *does* work.

That wasn't my experience when I bought a Compaq.  Compaq jumped the gun
and installed those 120M super floppies.  Caused the machine to freeze
up everytime I tried to access the floppy.  Took it back and bought an
IBM... these work.