  Re: You anti-Microsoft types just don't get it, do you? (Matt Gaia)

From: Graham Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Guilty, 'til proven guilty
Date: 05 Apr 2000 20:24:49 +0000

In gnu.misc.discuss, David Damerell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Their increasing support for the MacOS (even though this directly impacts
> sales of Windows) says they disagree.

Weren't some of the MS applications, eg excel, originally written for
the Mac then later ported to Windows? Also, IIRC, MS have been a major
supplier of MAC software right from the start.

------------------------------

From: George Marengo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux stocks soar in aftermarket trading
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 21:14:45 GMT

On Wed, 5 Apr 2000 13:52:00 -0500, "Chad Myers"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:8cfskj$9bb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In article <OCjYFNpn$GA.237@cpmsnbbsa03>,
>>   "JOGIBA" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> > Linux will never be a mainstream desktop OS .
>>
>> Gee, just a couple of years ago, people were saying "Linux will never be
>> taken seriously by business," and, "Linux will never be preloaded by any
>> major OEM."
>
>JOOC, is Dell actually preloading Linux? I know they SAID they would, but
>when I go to their site and configure a new box, I can't seem to find any
>that have *Linux in their OS drop-down boxes.

Precision Workstation 410, 420 & 610.
http://www.dell.com/us/en/bsd/products/series_precn_workstations.htm

Dimension XPS-T
http://commerce.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.asp?order_code=59linux&customer_id=04&keycode=6W300

There might be more, but I stopped looking.

>As far as businesses taking them seriously, I still don't see any major
>industries using it for any serious tasks -- SAP, PeopleSoft, Baan,
>or other ERP type software, major databasing/datawarehousing/data mining,
>analysis. All I see it doing is web serving (if that) and perhaps a DNS
>server here or there, which, don't get me wrong, it does a really good
>job at.

The only one in your list that looks like it's doing anything at all
is SAP -- but true, no hard evidence that anyone is actually using it
for business use.

http://www.sap.com/solutions/technology/linux/index.htm

------------------------------

From: Nix <$}xinix{$@esperi.demon.co.uk>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: OT:RANT:Long: If anyone develops an IDE for Linux PLEASE NO PROJECT FILES
(or MDI for that matter)
Date: 05 Apr 2000 21:53:13 +0100

Richard Corfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Though I've not tried any there are meant to be programs that scan
> through your C source to build a makefile for you - reading all the
> #includes to work out the dependancy tree.

Yes, it's called `gcc -MM'.

(automake has an even better way, of course, which *always* gets the
dependencies right, as far as I can tell. The next version of automake
should get them right for all sorts of non-GCC compilers, too.)

>                                            Java has its wonderful way
> of doing it for you assuming that CLASSPATH is fine (another niceity
> of checking everything out into one package hierarchy as it all has
> one CLASSPATH root)

I think Java's attempt to reimplement `make' is annoying; it gets in the
way of tools like automake and brings no benefits that I can see; there
is no way to determine what .class files will result from compiling a
given .java file, and so on. Argh.

--
`ndbm on Linux is an emulation, not the original. It comes in several
 flavours; `slightly broken', `moderately broken', and `totally and

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: You anti-Microsoft types just don't get it, do you?
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 21:18:46 GMT

On Wed, 05 Apr 2000 20:50:09 GMT, "Leonard F. Agius"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Bob Lyday wrote:
>
>> Shell wrote:

>> >  The Amiga and Macintosh had a chance to do this back in the 1980's when the
>> > PC was relatively uncommon in the home market.  It didn't happen, despite
>> > Commodore actually having the largest share of the home market in the early
>> > 80's.
>>
>> Oh, and M$ pre-loading agreements had nothing to do with it!
>> Too bad we aren't running Amiga and Mac now, it'd be a better
>> world...
>> >
>> >  There are forces at work here far more powerful that Microsoft, far more
>> > powerful than the Computer makers unwillingness to waste their time putting
>> > other software on the machines.
>>
>> If they can sell the box, why is it a waste of time?  And they
>> can...
>>
>> That force is the consumer, woe be it to
>> > him who defies the will of the consumer.
>>
>> Gee, M$ has made a career of it, Stevie, how come they don't get
>> their due?
>
>You anti-Microsoft types just don't get it, do you? Steve Sheldon had it right on
>the nose - there are forces at play here that are truely far more powerful than
>either Microsoft, or its detractors. And these forces are ESPECIALLY more powerful
>than the detractors are.

Market acceptance is one.
Market share another.
Applications/ease of use/compatability are 3 more.

>John Q. Public, the non-technogeek who can't even program his own VCR, has got a
>taste of what you can do with a PC, got learning the Windows OS, and going to Best
>Buy or CompUSA to buy his additional toys, be they software or hardware.

And at the current state of hardware and software the chances are good
he doesn't even have to look at the box because they will be
supported, especially under Win98 and less so for NT and 2k.
Speaking of the box, when Mr. Public opens up his hardware, he will be
greeted with all kinds of nice software to help extend the function of
his hardware (scanners, printers, audio cards, mice, camera's etc) all
of which is lost when running Linux.

>Especially now, with USB and Win98, adding some new hardware, like an external CD
>burner, is, for these people, a no brainer. Programs like GoBack are taking some
>of the stress (real or merely percieved) out of installing new software.

Setup.exe is all it takes. If auto insert is on, pop in the CD and
away you go.

>John Q. Businessperson now has an opportunity to buy off-the-shelf, out-of-the-box
>solutions, be they Office/Productivity suites, contact managers, image editing,
>do-it-yourself-wysiwyg web page editors, etc. And it's being done on Wintel boxes,
>with the non technogeek

Even my 9 year old son can do it and it has worked every time.
>John Q. Public as the hapless employee that John Q. Businessperson doesn't have to
>spend an arm & a leg training to work the Wintel box.

Even if he doesn't he can ask just about anyone on the street or at
his lodge or business association and chances are he will get the
answer he needs.
Mention Linux and chances are you will get into a discussion of how to
pronounce it (happened to me yesterday).
>None of these people give a rats hind end what Microsoft's detractors have to say,
>because the PC business people who are detractors (the Netscapes, the Sun
>Microsytems, the Apples, etc) come off as a bunch of sore losers using politics to
>bash someone the public, correctly or incorrectly, perceives as a success, and the
>technogeek detractors come off as a bunch of computer elitists who want to keep
>the non-technogeek under their collective thumb by creating a hodge-podge of OS's
>and non-off-the-retail-shelf software and hardware solutions. All guaranteed to
>turn off John Q. Public, the non-technogeek, from becoming a computer user, and
>keeping a the whole concept of Personal Computing as something mystical that's
>only good enough for the technogeek/computer nerd types (have I offended any of
>you, so far...good, I hope so, because I'm trying to).

The public at large is curious about Linux. Curious until they
actually try it, if they even get that far after they read the read
me. Oh yea that's IF they can read the readme because a lot of them
are PS files and PS is a virtual unknown in the Windows world. Then
they have to have a partitioned drive, risk data loss by
re-partitioning and throw away all of the software they have
accumulated over the years just to run wannabe Linux applications with
crude, sometimes down right hostile interfaces (sendmail comes to
mind).
You Linvocates have got to be kidding.

>Not only are their forces at play here that are more powerful than the MS
>detractors are, but slap MS with anything other than a token sanction, and allow
>the public to percieve their days of EASY, PAINLESS (in their own minds) access to
>Personal Computing to be under threat of dominance (again) by the
>technogeek/computer nerd types, and you will see a public backlash that some of
>you will FEEL, as if someone walked up to and punched you right in the nose. I've
>already heard grumbling from shoppers at places like Best Buy and CompUSA - not
>exactly the epitome of computer shoppers, but representative of most of the
>non-technogeek computer newbie that the majority of the industry now panders
>(rightfully so) to.

Quite frankly folks are not interested in returning to the 1980's
editing text files. Show them Pine after they have been using Outlook
and they will be laughing out loud. Tell them how many programs they
need to run in order to read news OFFLINE and you've lost them
forever.

>Frankly, some of them already feel so anxious over any threat to the current
>status quo, that they would like nothing more than to start publicly flogging some
>of you with a whip tipped with tire irons. Some BestBuy computer department clerk
>made some pro-Linux comment, follwoed a reference to Microsoft as "Microsuck", and
>one couple got so upset, and so angry, that they went complaining to the store
>manager, and this poor kid got sent home, after the couple threatened to putback
>the PC, scanner & printer they were planning to buy. I swear, I never saw a store
>manager look so flustered over something even I thought was trivial.

My wife works at one of the very large national chains and you would
not believe how many folks come back returning Linux and screaming out
loud that it F%#$#d up their hard drive and they lost all their data.

Linux is numero uno in returns and nothing is even close.
Makes me wonder how many of those cheapbytes  CD's and downloads of
Linux are REALLY being used.

>Ya know what? About a dozen other shoppers applauded (literally started clapping)
>this couple and the other BestBuy computer department clerks, who were definately
>pro-Linux technogeek/computer nerd types smarted off to the manager and went off
>sulking, and wouldn't help any customers for about five or ten minutes. When they
>finally got dragged back to the sales floor, they made real sure everyone else
>could see the chip they were carrying on their shoulder over this bullsh*t.

My wife would have fired them on the spot (she doesn't work for
BestBuy though).

>Steve Sheldon gets it. Alot of other non-MS detractors get. Why the hell don't the
>rest of you get it? Personal Computing is now MASS MARKET, so all of you who want
>to tinker (and since I build my own systems I fall under this group too), who want
>to install and run alternative OS's, are now FRINGE USERS. Period.

Because most of them are idiots so caught up in Linux that they fail
to see what's going on around them.

>The rest of the PC Mass Market don't give a shit how Microsoft became dominant,
>even when our Windows boxes lock up, crash, and otherwise drive us crazy. For all
>the public really cares, Bill Gates could have run over Scott McNeely with his
>Bimmer, and bribed Apple execs into running that company into the ground.

Yep. While most would agree MS's tactics were less than honorable, all
they care about is their software and business. Microsoft has made
this happen. Linux has not, and as far as the desktop at it's current
rate of improvement never will.

> Personal
>Computing is now mass market, Windows is the Defacto standard OS, a lot of the
>public have mutual finds that have hold stock in Microsoft, and no one wants this
>apple cart upset, especially if it's upset in the favor of the technogeek/computer
>nerd types the mass market considers the lunatic fringe. Period.

Can't comment as I don't own any stock.

>> > --
>> <snip ad for Steve>

Yea, they don't like me because I have actually tried and used Linux
and can speak from my miserable experience unlike most of the
Linvocates whose last experience with Windows was Win95 original
version.

Bottom line is Linux is a geek system, always has been and no amount
of candy will help it along.

Windows has the market, and will continue to have such especially the
desktop/home market where Linux is laughable at best.

>> Bob
>> "There are no significant bugs in our released software that any
>> significant number of users want fixed," Bill Gates, in an
>> interview with Focus magazine, Oct 23, 1995.
>> Remove ".diespammersdie" to reply.

Steve

------------------------------

From: 2:1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: The Failure of Microsoft Propaganda -was- So where are the MS
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 22:40:02 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:So you are going to run those same nasty BSOD
producing Windows

> applications under Linux?
>
> Sure makes sense to me :(

There may be a reason for some.

> The all mighty dollar is the ultimate motivator. Quicken, TurboTax,
> Agent and so forth are realities because of $$$$$.

Linux and many of its followers are not motivated primarily by $$$. Ultilately,
some things are more satisfying, and at the expense of a cliche, and you  can't
throw money at them to become a wholesome person.

> In contrast Linux has a hodge podge collection of semi related, half
> done utilities (there must be millions of them), because there is no
> motivation to produce a quality, easy to use and look at piece of
> software. No deadline, nobody to scream when it sucks (it's free what
> do you expect?).

That sounds more like the millions of windows shareware products scattered around.
Most linux things work much better. There is  an unquanitfiably HUGE motivation to
produce the very best that you can. Because so many people can see the code, it is
motivation to write the best software that you are capable of.
Lack of deadlines prevent buggy, broken software being pushed out. And, as for
people not screaming, where did you get that idea from? If software is made by a
huge company like MS, you, personally, could scream until blue in the face and get
nowhere, by contrast, you could easily contact the autoor of the [insert OSS
program here], or even fix it yourself.
How does freedom with software make it automatically buggy?

> When commercial applications coders see $$$$ in Linux the quality
> applications will come. Until then?

The quality is there already. I use linux for everything except games.
TeX typesets beautiful docs for me.
GCC compiles my (hopefully) beautiful programs, with an optimiser at no extra
cost. c.f VC++
Vi (yep, I actually like it) and XEmacs provide all my editing needs
The list goes on...
...and if I get my tax back soon enough, the gov does most of it for me :-)

I have all the quality I need. I also have the power and flexibility that I need.
But for people who don't like what I do, then, roll on commercial apps for linux.

> What you see is what you get.

I see a lot more in Linux than Windows, therefore I get more.

-Ed

--
Did you know that the oldest known rock is the famous Hackenthorpe rock, which
is over three trillion years old?

------------------------------

From: George Marengo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Rumors ...
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 21:26:58 GMT

On Wed, 5 Apr 2000 14:44:46 -0500, "Chad Myers"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"John W. Stevens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> Once again, where can I buy a competitive version of Windows, that will
>> run the exact same version of MS Office that I run on MS'es Windows?
>
>Where can you buy a competitive copy of the MacOS besides through Apple?

It doesn't matter because Apple does not have a monopoly position on
the desktop.

>I'm not sure what your point is here. This doesn't make MS a monopoly.

What makes MS a monopoly is a ruling by a Judge. Unless his ruling is
overturned, MS is has been found to abuse its monopoly position.

>Where can I get competitive copies of OS/2? Amiga (well, back in the day)?
>NetWare?

It doesn't matter because neither OS/2, Amiga, or NetWare have or had
a monopoly position /that was found to have been abused/ to defeat the
competition.

Having a monopoly, AFAIK, is not illegal in the US. What's illegal is
using a monopoly position of power to defeat the competition or if by
using that position of power you manipulate product prices.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
supporters.
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 21:31:29 GMT

Use it all the time to scan in articles from print, business cards,
sheet music and so forth.

Canon 630P and it works great. I especially like Adobe Photoshop
(included BTW), but alas niether the software nor the scanner work
under Linux.

Typical.

I wonder how many Linvocates overpaid by purchasing over priced SCSI
scanners and for that matter over priced PS printers just for the joy
of running Linsux,,oooppss meant Linux.

Steve

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (CG)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: The Failure of Microsoft Propaganda -was- So where are the MS supporters.
Date: 05 Apr 2000 17:32:07 EDT

Sheesh, this whole windows versus linux argument is just comparing
apples to oranges.

The one irrefutable fact that the M$ crowd continuously crow about is
M$'s dominance in the marketplace.  No question about it, there is
more software available for windows, and in this sense, there is no
comparison, windows wins hands down.  There is more software available
for windows because there are more companies marketing software for
windows, and there are more companies marketing software for windows
because windows is dominant in the marketplace.  the companies follow
the money.

But to say this makes windows a better os is just plain ridiculous.
Linux is better than windows.  It can do anything windows can do, and
it doesn't crash.  In my book, that makes it a better os.  the fact I
can't get the applications I need for it isn't a negative reflection
on linux, it just represents the current state of the marketplace.
All things being equal, i.e., all applications available for both
operating systems, I wouldn't touch windows to save my life.  but with
things being as they are, I don't have much choice.  So, being without
an effective choice, the fact that I buy and use windows software sure
doesn't mean I prefer windows over linux.

linux and windows co-exist peacefully in my office.  where we can use
linux, we do.  where we have to use windows, we do.  we reboot the
windows machines daily, the linux boxes stay up and running for months
at a time.  I can't think of a thing that I can do in linux that is
easier to do in windows (independent of the applications available for
windows) or where I would prefer to use windows.  in other words,
there is absolutely nothing about the windows os that draws me to it,
other than the availability of software.  the only credit M$ gets for
this is its marketing ability.  the genius of gates and company is
making so much money off inferior goods.

From: Mig Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Group Calendar
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 22:40:49 +0200

Rick Kennett wrote:
> HELP! - We have recently hired an HR Director who fancies herself as a
> technology Guru. We have taken great pains to avoid MS wherever possible
> and are using Netscape 4.x as email and web client throughout the
> organization. (Linux and Apache at the server side). She has started to
> campaign for NT and Exchange (what she was used to from previous life).
> I believe if I could deploy a web based calendar that could be used by
> individuals or teams I could end this threat. Are there any good group
> calendars that will work in our Linux / Apache environment. Appreciate
> any suggestions.
> Rick

I dont think you will find anything with the functionallity of Exchange in
Unix/Linux.
Pro Exchange: a) It can be accessed with a Imap client (f.ex. tkRat and
Netscape) b) It can be accessed with a Webbrowser
Contra Excahnge: a) Crashes easily b) Dont expect one server to be able to
handle more than 20000 mails/day  if it even can handle that
amount (Winvocates will clame wild numbers but forget them - this is not
true)

As you see i like the functionality in Exchange but just hate the crashes.

What about Domino? This way you will be MS free :-)

Greetings

------------------------------

From: Matt Gaia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 17:39:36 -0400

>The public at large is curious about Linux. Curious until they
>actually try it, if they even get that far after they read the read
>me. Oh yea that's IF they can read the readme because a lot of them
>are PS files and PS is a virtual unknown in the Windows world. Then
>they have to have a partitioned drive, risk data loss

Nope, spend about $20 and get Partition magic 4 or 5.  Works fine, no data
loss.

>Quite frankly folks are not interested in returning to the 1980's
>editing text files. Show them Pine after they have been using Outlook
>and they will be laughing out loud.

Ok, try kmail (under KDE) then.  Works just as well as well as Outlook
(and probably a little faster).

>>Frankly, some of them already feel so anxious over any threat to the current
>>status quo, that they would like nothing more than to start publicly flogging some
>>of you with a whip tipped with tire irons. Some BestBuy computer department clerk
>>made some pro-Linux comment, follwoed a reference to Microsoft as "Microsuck", and
>>one couple got so upset, and so angry, that they went complaining to the store
>>manager, and this poor kid got sent home, after the couple threatened to putback
>>the PC, scanner & printer they were planning to buy. I swear, I never saw a store
>>manager look so flustered over something even I thought was trivial.

A couple got upset about someone making an anti-M$ comment?  Christ.  And
who says complaining about something totally stupid and irrelevant is
dead? <grin>

>My wife works at one of the very large national chains and you would
>not believe how many folks come back returning Linux and screaming out
>loud that it F%#$#d up their hard drive and they lost all their data.

Example of people not knowing what they are doing.  They're $.10/dozen
anymore thanks to Windows.

>Linux is numero uno in returns and nothing is even close.
>Makes me wonder how many of those cheapbytes  CD's and downloads of
>Linux are REALLY being used.

Mine's still being used about every other week by people who want to try
something other than Windows.

>>Ya know what? About a dozen other shoppers applauded (literally started clapping)
>>this couple and the other BestBuy computer department clerks, who were definately
>>pro-Linux technogeek/computer nerd types smarted off to the manager and went off
>>sulking, and wouldn't help any customers for about five or ten minutes. When they
>>finally got dragged back to the sales floor, they made real sure everyone else
>>could see the chip they were carrying on their shoulder over this bullsh*t.

That's not being pro-linux.  That's just being dumbasses.  They could be
pro-MS and the manager being pro-linux. The same thing woulda happened.

>Yep. While most would agree MS's tactics were less than honorable, all
>they care about is their software and business. Microsoft has made
>this happen. Linux has not, and as far as the desktop at it's current
>rate of improvement never will.

*awards the understatement of the year award*  They're not just less than
honorable, they have been proven illegal.

>Yea, they don't like me because I have actually tried and used Linux
>and can speak from my miserable experience unlike most of the
>Linvocates whose last experience with Windows was Win95 original
>version.

My last experience was w2k.  Until I pulled it back off and put 98SE back
on.

--
Do your part to help the pet population.
Please have your troll spayed or neutered