  Re: Communism  (The Ghost In The Machine)

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles,soc.men,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.military.folklore
Subject: Re: Bill Hudson admits that he, Dave Casey, V-man and Redc1c4  are
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 14:41:54 -0400

billh wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis"
>
> > Your problem, Bill, is that you are utterly uncreative when it comes
> > to matters where maximum creativity counts.
>
> Is that what you call your lies and your BS excuses and cover you use when
> you are proven wrong?  I've never heard of that definition of "creativity"
> before.

Note how Bill clipped the saga of the creative adaptation of approximately
60 Sherman tanks into earth-moving devices during the hedge-row phase
of the Normandy invasion

I specifically recall seeing a sign hanging on wall of my battalion's
Operations office when I was in Southwest Asia.  It was a quotation
by a German General.

"The reason why fighting the Americans is so difficult is because
they refuse to follow their own doctrine"

Bill, you would be a very dangerous (to your own men) leader,
because you are so rigidly "by the book".  Thus, any opponent
who is well-versed in American doctrine will know EXACTLY how
to play you, because refuse allow any other ways to improvise,
overcome, and adapt.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Microsoft hit new security 'level' :-)
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 14:43:49 -0400

David Brown wrote:

> Ray Chason wrote in message ...
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roy Culley) wrote:
> >
> >>http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/8/18516.html
> >>
> >>Roll on .net so that we can all let Microsoft look after our
> >>valuable data. What a joke they are. :-)
> >
> >While this is a major gaffe on the part of Microsoft, I'm willing to
> >be fair.  If a binary-infecting virus for Linux existed in the wild,
> >this could in principle happen to Linux as well; and the usual bit
> >about not being root would only mitigate the damage, and would be
> >of no help at all if the infected binary was installed setuid root.
> >
> >Those of us who habitually compile from source would probably be
> >unaffected.
> >

> You would think that MS would be able to compile their security patches from
> source and thus avoid infection problems.

This indicates that Mafia$oft's compilers and/or linkers are themselves infected.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neil Cerutti)
Subject: Re: Pete Goodwin is in good company
Date: 27 Apr 2001 18:50:51 GMT

Pete Goodwin posted:
>Edward Rosten wrote:
>
>> You claimed that the GIMP problem was a Linux problem. Whilst
>> not a lie, it was definitely an untruth, because it is simply
>> incorrect.
>
>Still no cigar. I stated that Mandrake installed a printer and
>that The Gimp ignored it.

You were wrong. The Gimp was set up properly, but due to the
design of the printing properties sheet, it just beggs to be
buggered up by a new user. I would have made the same error as
you if not for your story.

But the point is, if I had done *nothing*, it would have worked.
It defaults to printing postscript, which is *correct*. It just
seems wrong becuase you can click on the happy little drop-down
list and select your printer. But doing so is *wrong*.

--
Neil Cerutti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.society.liberalism,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
Subject: Re: Communism
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 14:50:06 -0400

Mathew wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
>
> > theRadical wrote:

>life.

> > > show up.
> >
> > Sure thing.

> > > bfd.
> >
> > Are you familiar with an area known as the Cass Corridor?
> >

> > A few years ago, a guy I knew blew his head off with a shotgun
> > in a parked car down here.  It was a full week before anybody
> > bothered to report the body to police...and that was only because
> > the flies were becoming a nuisance.
>
> And your point is?
> Detroit is a shity place to live,but you love it?

Some parts are bad, other parts are good.

But everywhere, the weak are killed and eaten.

> > > another geeky white guy drops a name and thinks that makes him tough.
> >
> > I live here. You don't.
> > Hope that helps.
> >

> > --
> > Aaron R. Kulkis
> > Unix Systems Engineer

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Chronos Tachyon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bank switches from using NT 4
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 18:52:25 GMT

On Fri 27 Apr 2001 01:24, Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "Chronos Tachyon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
> message news:NPeG6.3972$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Fri 27 Apr 2001 02:55, Ayende Rahien wrote:
>>
>>   [Snip]
>> >
>> > I just came from a computer where Linux would kernel panic if it was on
>> > anything but primary master.
>> > It said it can't mount root.
>> >

>> Was /etc/fstab set up to reflect the changes in what partitions were
> called?
>
> I doubt it.
> Regardless, why can't Linux hadnle this on its own? Windows can.
> I tested it quite thouroughfully, pull out HD, make it master, it works,
> make it slave, kernel panic.

If, by some stroke of luck, you were able to get Windows to boot off of a
slave drive, it would be very confused about which drive to call C: and why
C:\WINDOWS (or C:\WINNT) doesn't exist anymore.

--
Chronos Tachyon
Guardian of Eristic Paraphernalia

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 14:51:53 -0400

JS PL wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > JS PL wrote:
> > >
> > > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> it.
> > > Your
> it
> > > and

> > > accusations

> > > Says what? I was making more at in my twenties way back in the 80's than
> you
> > > claim to make now!
> >
> > And racing horses in your twenties makes you a computer expert how,
> exactly
>
> One might also ask this of you:
> Running Windows 98 exclusively makes you a Unix Administrator how, exactly?

False premise.  I have one machine for running games that are unavailable
on linux.

Everything else is done on Unix or Linux.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 14:54:45 -0400

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, GreyCloud
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Thu, 26 Apr 2001 18:41:11 -0700
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >Icarus wrote:
> >>
> >> On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 12:10:18 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> >> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> If I'm parsing this sentence corectly, AFAIK that capability hasn't
> >> yet been tested.  As the QA guy at a previous job stated, "If it
> >> hasn't been tested, it doesn't work.
> >>

> >It works.  Already been tested.
>
> I'm glad they didn't test it the hard way, then. :-)  I'd hate to glow

Actually, we did.

Strategic bombing of Iraq, which was using TCP/IP for their networking as well.
Their networks stayed up, despite our best efforts.

> in the dark...or did they route a copper wire near a Nevada testing range
> and have packets flying through it when somebody pushed the button? :-)
>
> [.sigsnip]
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random misquote here
> EAC code #191       10d:04h:11m actually running Linux.
>                     This is a pithy statement.  Please watch where you pith.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.suse,alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: *Great* Penguin photos for your linux wallpaper (in alt.binaries.wallpaper)
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 12:46:12 -0600

For anybody looking for some good linux wallpaper, "RtW" just posted
some *gorgeous* high-res penguin photos to alt.binaries.wallpaper.
Easy to find, the subject lines start with "Penguin".

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 18:58:53 GMT

   Edward> True, but if you don't have sex with a woman, you probably won't
   Edward> reproduce.
   >>
   >> Yes, but being homosexual is about desires, not behavior.
   >> Women homosexuals frequently get pregnant with artificial
   >> insemination.

   Aaron> Only within the last few decades.

It has been around a while.

   Aaron> Prior to that, barring rape, women homosexual did not reproduce.

False, lots of women homosexuals had sex with men to reproduce.

   Aaron> Thus, even for females, if homosexuality is genetic, then it's
   Aaron> a genetic defect.

Nope.

   Edward> Bees exhibit this too. I don't know about other insects.

   Edward> Amen.

   Edward> yep.

Ignored the rest.  Typical.

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.fan.rush-limbaugh...)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Unwelcome changes in Linux advocacy.
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 20:04:26 +0100

David Neary wrote:

> Hullo wrote:
> >frankly I'm
> >disappointed with the speed with which you as a group resort to foul
> >language, personal insult, invented (or copied) technical
> >reports/information, but ...
> >I'm hiring an MS head rather than a Linux guru as at least they show less
> >capacity for being personally obnoxious. May I suggest that you consider
> >evaluating how you "advocate" your hobby ( and it is clearly a hobby rather
> >than an occupation for most of you
> >I wish Linux could be rolled back
> >to when it ran on a 386 DX 16 and Linux users were nice friendly people
> >(best illustrated by Linus himself).
>
> I actually agree with what he said above (apart from the insults,
> that said I did miss the original thread so it's possible there
> was provocation).
>
> I've read quite a few posts on this newsgroup which have lead me
> to believe that the majority of (current) Linux users really
> don't want to be civil. I'm not talking about being excessively
> polite, just civil - it's easier to keep quiet than be unhelpful,
> after all.
>
> In any case, I agree with him that there has been a marked
> decline in the standard of help available on the more popular
> newsgroups & irc channels. Bizarrely, to get the best user tips &
> advice, someone now has to look for a low-traffic developers
> list/channel and post o/t than go to the appropriate newsgroup.
>
> It seems to me that about 80% of the posts in this group (and 90%
> of all the content of #linpeople or #debian) is way off topic,
> and only serves to hide the real gems of posts from the people
> looking for them.
>
> A large part of advocacy, after all, is making people who are not
> familiar with you comfortable in your group. After that it's much
> easier to explain the benefits of what you have to people. The
> major problem at the moment is that groups like this one are too
> popular for their own good,and too many people don't even know
> the benefits of what they're advocating over proprietary
> alternatives. this is not healthy.
>
> I hope people don't think I'm trolling here, I am offerring my
> perspective on the changes in the Linux community over the years
> (since 96, when I first discovered linux), and I intend this to
> be either a constructive commentary on currently available
> on-line resources, or a basis for discussion on the future of
> Linux advocacy for the future.
>
> Thanks for reading,
> Dave.
>
> --
> David Neary,               E-Mail dave.dot.neary.at.palamon.dot.ie
> Palamon Technologies Ltd.  Phone +353-1-634-5059

The shit you can get away with spouting in this forum means it's hardly
representative of the community.
--
http://www.guild.bham.ac.uk/chess-club

------------------------------

From: Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.suse,alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: *Great* Penguin photos for your linux wallpaper (in
alt.binaries.wallpaper)
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 12:55:26 -0600

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001 12:46:12 -0600, Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>For anybody looking for some good linux wallpaper, "RtW" just posted
>some *gorgeous* high-res penguin photos to alt.binaries.wallpaper.
>Easy to find, the subject lines start with "Penguin".

Sorry, make that alt.binaries.pictures.wallpaper.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Another Windows pc gets Linux
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 20:11:00 +0100

pip wrote:

> Terry Porter wrote:
> >
> > Soon I will be converting my Wife's Win98 machine to Linux, however saving all
> > her stuff has been painfully difficult.
>
> Why not partition down the drive (fips it) and the install linux and
> copy over under Linux? (and she still has windows just in case)
>

> > Problem #1 no network neighbourhood icon. Although I set up Samba easily on my
> > Linux box, her pc lacked the above NN facility. Could I restore it ... nope.
> > Tweakui fails to work, Windows help is non existant. I have no interest in
> > buying 'secrets of the windows registry' so I can manipulate a terse, binary
> > database, that will render her machine unusable should I screw up the editing.
>
> Does it not show up in the windows explorer? Have you checked that
> networking is correctly installed? How odd. I've never seen this - but
> then again under windows you are never sure _why_ things randomly mess
> up.

If you want to see windows mess up, you should try dealing with some of
the errors I've had at work of late.  It's almost as if Gate$ is
taunting me!
I'm just waiting for the message that says:"There's been an error - what
are you gonna do about it?"

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To:
alt.society.liberalism,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 19:08:43 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Mathew
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Fri, 27 Apr 2001 22:30:41 +1000
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
>
>> "Gunner ©" wrote:

>> > WEEEEE! I get dibs on the video rights!  And we can split the fee when
>> > we send numbnuts body to a medical school.
>> >
>> > Aaron... try to draw it out as long as possible, so we can see lots of
>> > his blood and hear the sounds of breaking bones.. Ive already got a
>> > buyer for the master tape.
>
>This is illegal,I hope you know.

Which is illegal, the actual performance of this event or the
statements that he would like to perform this event?

(Especially in the context of this debate, which, as I understand it,
was a straw vote to illustrate some of the dangers of a true democracy,
as opposed to a democratically-elected representative republic?)

>> Weenie wouldn't dare show his face in Detroit.

I for one wouldn't want to show up in Detroit if I were guaranteed
that sort of reception.  :-)

(I do have a friend somewhere in Michigan, though.)

[.sigsnip]

                    [ ] Check here to always trust monopolistic software.