From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is paralyzed before it even starts
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 10:27:48 +0100

> Flatfish

Why do they call it a flatfish (++++) ?

-Ed

--
You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.

u 9 8 e j r (at) e c s . o x . a c . u k

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I Love the BSA
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 01:28:40 -0700

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> GreyCloud wrote:

> > > Don't you have a health system over there? in New Zealand he would be
> > > admited to a Mental Hospital, then after recieving the appropriate
> > > medication, learnt when/how to take their medication and the person feels
> > > confident, they are then re-introduced into the commmunity, if they are
> > > capable of working, a part-time job will be setup, and the short fall, aka
> > > the difference between the money earn't, and the cost of living, is then
> > > made up by social welfare.
> > >

> > Yes, but it sucks bad.  The mental health care system is managed
> > differently in each state.  There was a TV article about this... most
> > mentally ill have to commit a crime before getting any Mental Care and
> > the scenarios they had shown weren't pretty.
> >
> Well, that's Aarons glorious Right-Wing economic policies in action.
> What there needs to be is capitalism with compassion, many of these
> companies must accept they have a social/moral responsibility. IBM,
> offers great offers to US students, yet in NZ, students are screwed!
> hello? the world is out there! and they (IBM) are STILL after being in
> New Zealand for several decades why they are still losing money from
> their New Zealand subsidiary.
>
> Matthew Gardiner

Well... California was one of the focal points of this TV news article.
California is pretty much Democrat country.  California was the one that
really won't help anybody with a mental illness unless the individual
commits a crime, which at this stage forces the state to handle it.  I
think that its more a money issue turned political, in the sense that
mental illness treatment is very expensive in the long run, not only in
medications, but in servicing them in either institutions or boarding
homes. This usually lasts the lifetime of the mentally ill.

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 - It is a crappy product
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 10:36:18 +0100

> Actually I *have* attempted to get it to boot straight into the GUI but
> what does that matter anyway. Boot into GUI...STARTX, either way if it
> won't run the video card your SOL. I've never come accross a Windows
> version that wouln't boot into the GUI  - AT ALL, like my
> Caldera/Viperv550 wouldn't do.

Now why don't I believe you?

Could it be because nVIDIA provide drivers for Linux?

-Ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bank switches from using NT 4
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 10:41:59 +0100

> Believe me, if you come from the OS/2 WPS, _any_ desktop is - and more
> than 'a bit' - annoying. Even dfm is a kludge, compared to the OOUI that
> the WPS is. But at least I get the illusion that i'm manipulating
> objects
> (and without the overhead of the 'legacy' linux desktops.

I may get OS/2 sometime, if IBM ever dicide to release it for free.

>> > It's not Gnome or KDE, but at least I have room to run a couple of
>> > real apps on the side within 96 MB on this ageing P75.
>>
>> Wow, someone using a slower computer than me! I have a P133/72M. It
>> ismy only computer.
>>

> I'm a Luddite, me. (or should that be a 'linuddite'?) If it works, why
> pay money to change it? Of course, if you can change it without paying
> money, that's different. Hence my distro-itis.

Mee too. Hell, I can do everything I want on a P133. At the moment, I'm
considering upgrading the keyboard (I fell in love with ergonomic ones)
but I'm having difficulty because my current keyboear works fine.

-Ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 10:44:56 +0100

>> But it ruins the figures. If you have an OS that can stay up
>> (continuously) for a year before needing a reboot, but you upgrade the
>> hardware every 9 months, you'll think it is much more stable than it
>> really is. Even schedualed downtime screws up the figures.
>
> Then get a non-stop, which is one of the only architectures which can
> support hot-pluggin *anything*. New CPU, not a problem, more RAM, always
> welcome, new MOBO, why bother asking?

All I'm saying is that it isn't right to extrapolate cumulative uptime
figures to continuous uptime figures, because you get artificially high
results.

-Ed

From: Nigel Feltham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does Linux support "Burn-Proof" CDRW's
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 09:57:47 +0100

> How about compiling something (like a kernel (of course)) with "make -j3"
> (to generate some diskactivity) and burning an iso to a plextor 12/4/32
> (without burn-proof) without having the buffer go below 90%?

I have tried this with my NEC 12/10/32 drive - compiling the kernel while
burning a CDRW at 10x speed and the burn process takes longer than the 6
minutes it takes when machine is idle so it seems on my system the
burn-proof technology is working and is essential for reliable burning
unless cdrecord reduces it's processor time when it detects a burn-proof
drive ( or to be exact, my drive uses the similar Ricoh JustLink system).

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 10:50:15 +0100

>> You can't ignore scheduled downtime.
>
> You don't understand what that means.

Yes i do.

>> To use a silly example, if you schedual reboots every hour on your
>> Windows 9X machine, you will almost never have a crash and hence have
>> very god uptime figures.
>
> that IS a VERY silly example and you know it.

Precisely, but it illustrates the point exactly. Win9X is appaulingly
unstable, but with the right amount of scheduled downtime, you can get a
very high cumultaive uptime. This illustrates perfectly why extrapolating
cumulative uptime to continuous uptime is meaningless at best.

> look - it's really simple - if I have a machine that has been running at
> 100 CPU use for 8 months non-stop and is perfectly stable but one day
> one
> of the CPU fans fails and my monitoring software picks it up. The system
> hasn't crashed but it's obvious that if the CPU is left to heat up it
> will eventually fail. So, I down the system to replace the fan. That
> cannot be counted against the OS - the OS had nothing to do with it nor
> could it have done anything about it (other than, perhaps, taking that
> CPU out of use). Now, if you want to evaluate hardware uptimes, yes,
> obviously hardware FAILURES and preventive maintenance are counted - but
> not user-chosen upgrades. A piece of hardware that has been running 100%
> flawlessly for 4 years and you decide to add a bigger hard drive - you
> have to down the machine to do this - it's not the machines fault and
> you don't hold this against it.

yes, correct, it's not the OS's fault that the hardware failed, but it is
also not tothe OS benefit. If your machine runs for 8 months and the fan
fails and the runs for another 8 months after that, it is in no way
correct to say that the machine will stay up for 16 months. There is no
way of extrapolting the data correctly. To see why, look at the extreme
example I've given.

One problem with getting OS _continuous_ uptimes is that you have to
ignore every case where there is a hardware failure. You can't simply
stop, fix reboot and carry on because it gives meaningless figures.

-Ed

From: Nigel Feltham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 10:01:34 +0100

> "Steve,Mike,Heather,Simon,teknite,keymaster,keys88,Sewer Rat,
> S,Sponge,Sarek,piddy,McSwain,pickle_pete,Ishmeal_hafizi,Amy,
> Simon777,Flatfish+++">

You missed one - "Clare" - anyone know any more of fudfish's aliases?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 29 Apr 2001 08:53:56 GMT

On Sun, 29 Apr 2001 02:39:45 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Terry Porter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> > How about Linux burner software?
>> >
>> > Are you guys behind the 8-ball yet again?
>> No we are not, tho thanks for your concern :-
>>
>> "Steve,Mike,Heather,Simon,teknite,keymaster,keys88,Sewer Rat,
>> S,Sponge,Sarek,piddy,McSwain,pickle_pete,Ishmeal_hafizi,Amy,
>> Simon777,Flatfish+++">
>>
>> You see,Linux does not suffer the same buffer underuns and poor process
>> control that has hade it necessary for the CD writer manufacturers
>> to solve these problems for Microsoft.
>
> Are you trying to suggest that Linux gives you infinite cycles, so that
> there is never any chance to to ever underrun a buffer?
No Eric, you're suggesting that.

> Hell, I've used Linux systems that took 5 minutes just for the login prompt
> to appear after connecting.  Clearly system load can and will cause cycles
> to be unavailable (especially considering that Linux/Unix does things like
> dynamic priorities that can lower the priority of the cd-burner app if some
> other app is starved).
I agree, however Windows98 is far worse at managing these 'cycles' than Linux
in my experience.

>> Flatfish thinks hes in possetion of 'new' and 'radical' technology
>> , when in fact only Windows users need these 'solutions' to cure their
>> problems.
>
> Wow, Imagine that.  Linus Torvolds has created an OS that magically creates
> cycles.
Yes its amazing isnt it ;-)

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

From: William Shakespeare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: IE
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 01:59:48 -0700

> Said Michael Pye in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sat, 28 Apr 2001 17:01:33

> >Also, anyone who still says flying fuck doesn't deserve an opinion ;) It's a
> >phrase that grated on my nerves since it was coined so many years back ;).
> >Personally, if I don't gove a fuck, I don't give a fuck. Flying at the same
> >time sounds like childishness or some sort of fetish... :)

The general picture is one of: Say you have a woman lying on your bed,
naked, open and waiting.  You are so excited you fling your naked body
down on top of her, soaring through the air like a hawk until you land
smack down on top of her.  Now, assuming you have not killed her or
damaged any major organs, you can begin with the fucking part.  At
least that is what I always thought it meant.
--
Bill
"The second thing we do, let's kill all the editors." Edited out of

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Another Windows pc gets Linux
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ed Allen)
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 09:00:49 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Terry Porter <No-Spam> wrote:
>On Sat, 28 Apr 2001 07:15:27 GMT,
> Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> Eeks no thanks, no registry editing on her pc for me.
>>
>> LMHOSTS is a file - nothing to do with the registers. It's the Lan Manager
>> HOSTS file.
>Opps, sorry showing my ignorance of Windows. Thanks for the tip.I'll have a
>look for it. Do you have any tips on the syntax used in the file pls ?

>>> I know its there, but transferring hundreds of files this way is just too
>>> hard.
>>
>> mput *.*
>ncftp / > help mput
>mput: sends files to the remote host.
>Usage: mput file1 [file2...]

    man ncftpget

           -R      Recursive mode; copy whole directory trees.

    Also check out:

    http://www.bnro.de/~schmidjo/
    http://www.public.iastate.edu/~chadspen/homepage.html

    For a Linux equivalent of "Network Neighborhood".

--
   Linux -- The Unix defragmentation tool.

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why do Win advocates suck?  Part 1
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 11:02:09 +0100

> First off, Sparky, the above statement had absolutely nothing to do with
> MS nor BG. Linux developers are trying to capture a market whose users,
> for the most part, don't know their heads from their asses when it comes
> to how an OS works. Like as not, Linux has to be "dumbed down"
> considerably for these people or it won't go anywhere near corporate
> desktops. The next time you go to work, (assuming of course this isn't
> at McDonalds), take a look at the receptionist or secretary and ask
> yourself,
> "Does this person know dick about setting ULIMITS and would I trust her
> fire up vi and configure accelerated-X?"
>
> What is being argued here is the need for sane defaults on an initial
> installation.
>
> Idiot...

Before using insults, think carefully.

The next time you go to work, (assuming of course this isn't
at McDonalds), take a look at the receptionist or secretary and ask
yourself,
"Does this person have any idea how to install Win2K. Would they know
what to do with a driver disk? Could they put the IP address in to the
computer. Would the yknow how to resolve an IRQ or DMA conflict?"

The answer is no, to all of those for both Linux and Windows.

That is why companies have trained staff to do that for the recptionists.

Now, from a slightly fairer point of view.

"Could the secretry click on the StarOffice icon on the GNOME desktop?"
"Could that person select minesweeper or soletaire from the GNOME panel
menu?"

The answer is yes. Assuming a corporate environment where the seting up
is done by experts, there is no real barrier except the inability to read
Word documents prefectly.

-Ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.men,soc.singles,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,us.military.army
Subject: Re: Primary and secondary missions
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 11:03:45 +0100

>> No, you have it backwards.  Propagating DNA is the primary mission.
>> Getting laid is merely a supporting operation.
>
> A Social Darwinist.  How quaint.  I thought Social Darwinism was limited
>  to survivalists squatting in their bunkers discussing their imminent
> world domination.

Looks to me more like biological darwinism.

-Ed

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 29 Apr 2001 09:04:27 GMT

On Sun, 29 Apr 2001 01:49:10 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> But yet you have no application like:
>
> CD Architect
> SoundForge.
> Vegas audio/video
> Cubase
> Samplitude
> Acid
> Cakewalk
> Sonar.
> Logic Audio
Someof us do other things than play with audio, Flatfish.

> And I could go on for hours........
You do go on for hours...

> Nor do you have any of the plugins availible for those applications,
> which can be shared amongst the various applications via Direct-X.
Sorry mate, Linux doesnt use DirectX.

> Nor do you have support for the hardware that makes them works as
> well...
You get that in a comercial world, get over it.

> Sorry Terry "The Porter"... but you lose, big time....
Howso?

> So tell us, how is that latest compile going?
I'm not, compiling anything at the moment but recent compiles I have done,
went just perfectly thanks.

I bet you'd even like to know how its done ?
Compiling inder Linux is a easy process, consisting of these simple steps :-
1/ configure      .... this checks yoursystem has the necessary requirements
2/ make ..... this turns the source into a binary, tailor made for your
system
3/ make test (optional) this tests that the program you just compiled is
working properly.
4/ make install ... this installs the binary, and any libaries to your
system.

The really coolpart is that you get to see whats happening,and whats
being installed, and where. You even get to chose where things go.

Now I know our resident Wintroll prefers 'install shield' as it shields
him from his own ignorance, and prevents said ignorance, from keeping
him up at night, in a world that mystifies and terryfies him :)

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 11:09:13 +0100

>> The intolerance of homosexuals is a much higher level thing and can
>> easily be changed.
>
> how's that working out for you?

Well, I haven't tried to make many people more tolerant, because the
people I am friends with have enough of a moral sense to realise that
blind prejudice is wrong. As for the bigots I've tried to convert here?
well, they're still bigots. What more can I say.

Another thing is that these bigots assume that I'm homosexual because I
am not homophobic and also have a deep dislike of homophobia. This simply
shows up the bigotry. I have been careful in this not to mention my
orientation once.

-Ed