  Re: IE (Ed Allen)

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.singles,alt.linux,alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 11:10:32 +0100

> still, it has to be said that this idle eunux and windoze chit chat is
> both gay and nerdish. or: who gives a fuck? got Zzz?
>
> people want sex, drugs, rock & roll, comedy, tragedy and soap op'.

Only if they've got nthing better to do :-)

-Ed

--
You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.

u 9 8 e j r (at) e c s . o x . a c . u k

------------------------------

From: William Shakespeare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: there's always a bigger fool
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 02:16:15 -0700

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Said Johan Kullstam in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sat, 28 Apr 2001

  microsoft
> >plays the proprietary data format game better than anybody else.
>
> Microsoft is the only one that plays games, as far as we know.

Not really.  Harvard Graphics got busted a few years back for the very
same thing.  They were forced to reveal their file formats so other
presentation programs could make filters for them.  And what about
Real Player, Quicktime and all the rest?

These examples are not really "file formats" but they are much the
same:  Netscape pulled the same proprietary web crap game.  And have
you ever noticed that AOL hyperlinks are kinda, like, "different" from
everybody else's?  That is cuz AOL is banking on some day controlling
say, 70% of the surfers.  Then lots of developers will start just
coding "AOL links".  And what about those of us who don't use AOL?
Guess we won't be able to click on that site.  :(  And what about the
AOL instant messenger game?  And, in hardware, what about Intel
sockets not accommodating other CPU's, or Intel motherboards , CPU's
and chipsets not playing well with others?
I have come to the disgusted conclusion that most proprietary IT
vendors will try to pull lock-in if they can get away with it.
:((((((((((  Which is why open source is the only hope for
computing...

> Think about it.  Sooner or later, that's what's going to happen.  I
> think we've presented good reason for expecting that as long as
> Microsoft has a monopoly, though, Intel's choice is not their decision,
> precisely, and so its likely that the least efficient approach will be
> selected, almost automatically.

Intel and MS have been in bed for a long time.  Intel is another
disgusting monopoly and most folks do not realize the degree to which
they break the law.  They really only innovate when given some
competition, like any monopoly.  And Intel and MS have been getting
together with ZDNet and the other press-scums to rig "benchmarks" for
many years now.  :((((((((((((((((((((((((
--
Bill
"The second thing we do, let's kill all the editors." Edited out of

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 - It is a crappy product
Date: 29 Apr 2001 09:20:27 GMT

On Sat, 28 Apr 2001 20:10:47 GMT, MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:3ae8fb71$0$21689$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:9c6rsi$j17$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> >
>> > "Donn Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> Remember - linux is free if your time is worth nothing.
>
> This is SO true!
Only toWintrolls like 'Uberlooser'
> I just setup a windows mini home LAN to a broadband modem -
> ISP using a linksys router.
You should be proud, this is quite an achievement with Windows?

> One windows whistler box, one win98 box, one
> winME box, and one RedHat Linux box. Guess which one will not work?
Given your history of failure with Linux, I'dsay it was the Redhat Box?

> That's
> right. The 3 windows boxes were so simple to setup for shared broadband
> access through the router it was amazing.
I'd be amazed if any Windows networking was simple too!

> Took all of one hour to connect
> all the pc's, set up sharing and DHCP.
A whole hour for something so simple?

> The linux box couldn't get past the
> NIC setup.
Then use cards that are known to work.

> Tried two cards: a Netgear fa311, and a linksys LNE1000TX. Both
> cards provided linux drivers. Neither driver would compile correctly. The
> makefile with the netgear was a complete mess. The linksys card uses the
> tulip.o module. Would it load? Hell no. I don't really care who is at fault,
> it just doesn't work, period.
Take them back, junk is junk.

> After spending the better part of an entire
> day looking through the countless failures on the net to get these cards to
> work I have to shake my head. I'll just purchase a card that has full linux
> support to get the job done.
Bit like buying Ms,and *hoping* itl do the job ?

> Time IS the issue here. A $50 NIC card is
> really no issue. A day or two getting something to work which was so simple
> under windows is.
> World domination. Yeah yeah yeah...
You're right,I can't see Netgear or Linksys, dominating the world anytime soon.

Of course any Linux user with 1/2 a brain would just use any old NE2000 nic
but that would work, and you Mr Ubertroll, would have nothing to whine about
then would you ?

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Windows 2K is crappy: a couple of examples
Date: 29 Apr 2001 09:22:54 GMT

On Sat, 28 Apr 2001 14:28:28 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> We are all so happy for you, try answering the question next time.
Why???

In the 4 years you've been trolling COLA, *answers* are the last thing you want.

"Steve,Mike,Heather,Simon,teknite,keymaster,keys88,Sewer Rat,
S,Sponge,Sarek,piddy,McSwain,pickle_pete,Ishmeal_hafizi,Amy,
Simon777,Flatfish+++">

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: Marcello Barboni <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Endeavour shuttle and windows
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 09:41:58 GMT

In article <AdIG6.20095$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
says...

> > What on earth could anyone do with an embedded graphical OS like
> > win2000???
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/embedded/customer/default.asp

Say, that's interesting....

------------------------------

From: pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is paralyzed before it even starts
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 11:20:07 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Linux on the desktop?
> A joke at best, some poor fools job at worst.

Lots of people use Linux on the desktop and are quite satisfied with the
experience.

> Take a P166 with 64 meg and load Linux Mandrake 7.x on it and Win98SE
> and see which one is more responsive. Linux is slow as shit...

Linux is as fast as normal. X sometimes can be a resource hog - but 64MB
should be an ok environment. If you had said 32MB then I may have
thought there is some truth. It is true however that windows does not
require as much memory mainly due to design tradeoffs.

> How about multimedia?
>
> USB MIDI interfaces?

Erm, yes?

> High end Sound cards?

Erm, yes?

> Nope.....Linux dies a quick death.....

Does it? Seems to be gaining ground here.

> Star office is free....
>
> So why isn't it taking over MSOffice by the boatload?
> Hell StarOffice is even available for Windows but yet it is being
> almost completely ignored?

Erm, There is a reason for this and price is not a factor.

> I have a RIM Blackberry that I use for my day job. Supported under
> Linux?
> Nope!

What _is_ a "RIM Blackberry"?

> State of the art and chances are it will NEVER be supported under
> Linux.
> Why?

Of course sometimes they are and sometimes they are not. All popular
stuff gets supported if at all possible.

> Because there is virtually NOBODY USING LINUX!!!!!!!

Depends if you think that millions of people are virtually no-one.

> Sure it is used in back room server operations, so are ball bearings
> in my wheel bearings on my car.
> Point is nobody cares.

They would if the Internet stopped.

> And most certainly, nobody cares about Linux....

Good. For most people I am glad that they don't even relaise Linux is
being used to improve their computing lives. All good technologies
should fade into the background and just be used.

> Linux is dead before it has even started and XP will put yet another
> 100 nails in it's coffin.

Linux has been around for some time. Considering most people don't even
know what an OS is, I think that in the long run people will vote with
features. Linux _will_ catch up.

> Linux is a time waster and is meant for bit tinkerers and losers.

Really? So, I guess that the best programmers on the planet are losers?
Hint: in 8 or so years they created an OS in their spare time that took
a commercial company hundreds of people many years and many, many
millions of $. Whatever.

> Spend all your time compiling kernels to run shit applications, that's
> what Linux is about.

There are lots of good Linux applications. Also there is no need to
compile your kernel for most things.

> The masses have spoken and Linux does not even have an honorable
> mention....

Funny, the press seems quite excited by the Linux idea?

> GoodBye Linux....
>
> Flatfish

Why do you keep writing so much about it if it is so dead? What bothers
you about it?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Subject: Re: Microsoft sent their customers a virus
Date: 26 Apr 2001 10:33:35 -0500

On 26 Apr 2001 05:26:21 GMT, Jeff Silverman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>The following is an excerpt from a message from SANS (Vol 3 Num. 17) and I would
>assume it is
>trustworthy:
>

> Security Alert for Microsoft's Premier Support Customers Microsoft
> Premier Support customers were notified on Monday night that several
> Microsoft Hotfixes downloaded from the Premier Support and Gold
> Certified Partner web sites (between April 6 and 20)were infected with
> the Fun Love virus.  We do not yet know whether other Microsoft Hotfix
> download sites were also affected.  It makes sense to have your virus
> detection software current.

And we're supposed to trust Microsoft with out personal data and communications
on XP and .NET.  What a joke!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: 26 Apr 2001 10:54:52 -0500

On 26 Apr 2001 14:41:40 GMT, Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Notice how here I say plainly that I am not in the US.
>
>Roberto Alsina

He's in Argentina

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Subject: Re: Quicken for Linux???
Date: 26 Apr 2001 22:06:25 -0500

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001 00:27:31 GMT, Al <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Does any company make a Quicken like product for Linux???   This is one
>of my must have apps.
>
>Al

GnuCASH will do everything you want.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Does Linux support "Burn-Proof" CDRW's
Date: 29 Apr 2001 10:31:03 GMT

On Sun, 29 Apr 2001 10:01:34 +0100,
 Nigel Feltham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> "Steve,Mike,Heather,Simon,teknite,keymaster,keys88,Sewer Rat,
>> S,Sponge,Sarek,piddy,McSwain,pickle_pete,Ishmeal_hafizi,Amy,
>> Simon777,Flatfish+++">
>>

> You missed one - "Clare" - anyone know any more of fudfish's aliases?

Thanks,how *could* I forget!
Comeon Steve,what are the rest ??

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Another Windows pc gets Linux
Date: 29 Apr 2001 10:33:04 GMT

On Sun, 29 Apr 2001 09:00:49 GMT,
 Ed Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Terry Porter <No-Spam> wrote:
>>On Sat, 28 Apr 2001 07:15:27 GMT,
>> Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> LMHOSTS is a file - nothing to do with the registers. It's the Lan Manager
>>> HOSTS file.
>>Opps, sorry showing my ignorance of Windows. Thanks for the tip.I'll have a
>>look for it. Do you have any tips on the syntax used in the file pls ?

>>> mput *.*
>>ncftp / > help mput
>>mput: sends files to the remote host.
>>Usage: mput file1 [file2...]
>>
>     man ncftpget
>
>          -R      Recursive mode; copy whole directory trees.
>
>     Also check out:
>
>     http://www.bnro.de/~schmidjo/
>     http://www.public.iastate.edu/~chadspen/homepage.html
>
>     For a Linux equivalent of "Network Neighborhood".
>
> --
>    Linux -- The Unix defragmentation tool.
Thanks Ed :)

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: Karel Jansens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 18:29:40 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Karel Jansens wrote:

> > > It is actually possible to run StarOffice as a Windowmanager staight on
> > > top of X.
> > > Quite similar to Win 95 actually (except less crashes)
> >
> > For some reason this doesn't seem to work as well with 5.2 as with 5.1.
> > It seems some changes were made to the desktop integration.
> >

> That's a shame cos it was quite a nice feature in 5.1

You can still do it (you know, xinit etc. - /some directory/soffice, I
forget), but StarOffice 5.2 appears as a regular window on the X
background. Previously, with the integrated desktop option checked, it
would mimick a desktop environment.

I still didn't like it, but at least it was better than having a desktop
on top of another desktop - talk about waste. I started using StarOffice
when they were at version 3.1 for OS/2, and I quit when they brought out
version 4.0. The only reason for quitting was the integrated desktop.

--
Regards,

Karel Jansens
"You're the weakest link. Goodb-No, wait! Stop! Noaaarrghh!!!"

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unwelcome changes in Linux advocacy.
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 22:51:21 +1200

> Nah - I think Ballmer is just as bad as Gates.  Besides, Bill Gates will
> never step down.  He already stepped down as CEO, and let Ballmer take
> over the show.  What has Ballmer down with the company?  Besides, Bill
> Gates hasn't lost it; he never had it to begin with.  If anything, he's
> getting smarter, because he realizes that Linux IS a threat to his
> company.  Secondly, he's starting to realize that incorporating
> unix-isms is the best possible thing.  For example, Task Scheduler looks
> an aweful lot like the unix cron, except with a GUI.
>
> Besides, as you said before, Apple is just as bad, so don't be fooled by
> their Open Source OS, Darwin.  Of course, you might make the argument
> that Steve Jobs is as bad as Bill Gates, and I somewhat agree with you
> there.

I for one can at least admit that Microsoft did make some pretty good
software in the past, such as AmigaBASIC. However, they, as Brent R has put
it, Microsoft, esp Bill Gates has lost touch with reality.  If they want to
innovate, why don't they produce and OS that is self healing, that is, when
there is a fault with the OS, it (the OS) repairs itself so that the error
doesn't happen again.  Then later on, spread that "self healing" into
application software, a program crashes, the OS analyses the problem, then
fixes the program so that it does not happen again.  If Microsoft did that,
I would really be impressed!

Need I use the BeOS example, a great OS, if Microsoft had an open mind,
they would have purchased Be Inc, add better support, throw on a win32 api
layer so that legacy apps can be used, and increased hardware support, then
I would be really impressed.  Any one who has used BeOS will tell you the
speed, stability and reliability of BeOS, and how it uses the full
potential of your hardware.

Matthew Gardiner

--
Disclaimer:

I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell)

If you don't like it, you can go [# rm -rf /home/luser] yourself

Running SuSE Linux 7.1

The best of German engineering, now in software form

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 23:00:18 +1200

> And just wait until .NET is up and running and something like this happens
> to their so-called secure servers carrying all your data. Or maybe your
> obligatory auto-updates to Windows XP will include a free virus.
>
> It's always been folly to put all your eggs in one basket, all your
> configuration settings in one file (the Registry), and if Microsoft gets
> its way the world will have all its data on Microsoft's servers.
>
> It's going to end in tears.
>
> Peter

And guess what, when this does happen, it will be a big, "I told you so".
I said that there will be a melt down in the technology sector because of
stupudity + business run like charities by nerds who wouldn't know the
first thing about running a business, 2 years later, I told you so, but of
course, those people knew better than me, now they are trying to work out
how they are going to pay for their retirement, whilst I stuck with
mainstream stocks such as Auckland Airport, United Networks, Capital
Properties, Baycorp, ones that are actually run like businesses and have
long terms value.

Matthew Gardiner

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 13:03:14 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Linux on the desktop?
> A joke at best, some poor fools job at worst.

I know I'm rising to your trolling, but the hell...

> Take a P166 with 64 meg and load Linux Mandrake 7.x on it and Win98SE
> and see which one is more responsive. Linux is slow as shit...

I have a K6-2 (250MHz), dual booting between Win98SE and SuSE Linux
(mostly SuSE anyway, but it has a lot of buggering about been done to
it)

> So much for Linux on legacy hardware, unless of course you like
> looking at a CLI then Linux screams....Of course any newbie forced to
> use the cli will be screaming as well. Try loading kde or Gnome and
> see the system crawl.

I'm using KDE and do not have any such problem

> How about multimedia?
>
> USB MIDI interfaces?
> High end Sound cards?
> Hell, even run of the mill sound cards utilizing ALL THE FEATURES?

I don't have any USB MIDI devices so can't comment on that.
Sound Blaster cards are well supported.  Hell even the weird VIA sound
chip built into my mainboard works fine.

> Nope.....Linux dies a quick death.....
>
> Star office is free....
>
> So why isn't it taking over MSOffice by the boatload?
> Hell StarOffice is even available for Windows but yet it is being
> almost completely ignored?
> Seems like the fortune 500 could save millions in licensing fees by
> switching to Star office, even under Windows.
>
> So why aren't they?

Because it is even bigger and slower than MSOffice.  Word Perfect is
better though.

> I have a RIM Blackberry that I use for my day job. Supported under
> Linux?
> Nope!
>
> State of the art and chances are it will NEVER be supported under
> Linux.
> Why?
>
> Because there is virtually NOBODY USING LINUX!!!!!!!

Fair point.  However, the number of Linux users is increasing all the
time, and more and more companies are interested in providing support
for their devices under Linux (eg Creative Labs).

> Sure it is used in back room server operations, so are ball bearings
> in my wheel bearings on my car.
> Point is nobody cares.

I'll just take the ball bearings out of your car.  See if you care or
not then.

> And most certainly, nobody cares about Linux....
>
> Linux is dead before it has even started and XP will put yet another
> 100 nails in it's coffin.
>
> Linux is a time waster and is meant for bit tinkerers and losers.
> Spend all your time compiling kernels to run shit applications, that's
> what Linux is about.

ALL OSes have LOTS of shit apps.  It's the few good ones that matter.
The trouble with Windows is crashes too much to get the most of the good
apps it offers

> The masses have spoken and Linux does not even have an honorable
> mention....

Not true.  I have friends who really don't know a whole lot about
computers, but still have a passing interest in Linux.

--
http://www.guild.bham.ac.uk/chess-club

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: IE
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ed Allen)
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 11:00:48 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
T. Max Devlin  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sat, 28 Apr 2001 21:06:49
>>"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>   [...]
>>Then use Lynx.
>>The fact that so many sites, when detect NS4, send you a page that IE2 could
>>parse easily doesn't mean anything to use, right?
>
>I'm not sure what the latter has to do with the former.  Does lynx have
>a very comprehensive bookmark system?  NS4 seems to work perfectly well
>for me, to be honest.

    When MULTI_BOOKMARK_SUPPORT:TRUE is set in the lynx.cfg file 26
    bookmark files with what looks to be about a 32 character label in
    addition to the filename are available.

    I have not felt the need for them myself but then I use NS4.75
    most of my time on line with images, javascript, java, document
    supplied fonts, and style sheets all turned off.

    These artsy sites with lots of flash have reduced me to that to
    be identified as "minimally acceptable" to visit their sites.

    If they don't have text labels on their links I leave and never
    return.

--
   Linux -- The Unix defragmentation tool.