From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: To Aaron
Date: Sat, 05 May 2001 23:55:38 -0400

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> > Free trade does not require international free trade.  Its called "free
> > trade for US firms within the US", and whether foreign companies get to
> > participate is entirely up to the US, and whether we think it would
> > benefit us; it is presumed if allowed that it would benefit the foreign
> > company, which is why we use tariffs and subsidies rather than simple
> > regulation.  If it is worth their while to overcome this 'uneven playing
> > field' (actually an even playing field, taking both the international
> > capital and the international production into account) then they can
> > benefit from the opportunity of free trade within the U.S.
> >
> > When it comes down to it, if you are unable to say "fuck everyone else"
> > if it is necessary to avoid "fuck me", then you are simply not being
> > honest, or reasonable.
> >
> > I'm not claiming that every aspect of the U.S. position on tariffs and
> > subsidies is reasonable, or even honest.  I'm merely pointing out that
> > presuming otherwise is begging the question.
> Just in the latest study, New Zealand is the third most liberal country,
> in terms of business policy next to Hong Kong and Singapore. With that
> outstanding stat, what are US business still picking their asses whilst
> trying to maintain a presence in one of the over regulated countries in
> the OECD.

Shipping costs, and tarrifs.

> Matthew Gardiner

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2001 23:57:45 -0400

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> > Seems kind of low to me. A few years ago the Swiss government
> > subsidised their farmers to the tune of SFr7B (~SFr1.5 to the $ at the
> > time I think). This was for direct subsidies and import tariffs on
> > imported food. When you consider there are ~6M people in Switzerland
> > that was over SFr1000 per person.  Farming is one area that most
> > governments will spend a fortune to protect. The EU CAP is even worse
> > mainly due to the French with their very inefficient farming.
> >
> > I can understand why farming is given such support by governments for
> > in time of war you will have to be as self reliant as possible. However
> > this is abused by farming lobbies to ensure that their farmers have a
> > guaranteed high income.
> Instead, these countries should be focusing in areas where they can
> compete. There is no point trying to make a $10 t-shirt, however,
> instead, for example, if they produced electronic componentry cheaper
> than any other country, thats what that particular country should focus
> its resources on. If the US reduced the taxes in stead of giving had
> outs to inefficient farmers, then they wouldn't be in the same shit they
> are in now.

Exactly right.

Tarriffs only protect inefficient industries, which should be "out-sourced"
to other culture who can provide the same product for less real costs.

Sometimes, however, protecting those industries is important (if, for
example, they make some product which is important in a time of war...
but these industries are rare)

> Matthew Gardiner

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I think I've discovered Flatfish's true identity...
Date: Sat, 05 May 2001 23:58:31 -0400

Michael Vester wrote:

> "." wrote:
> >
> > Michael Vester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Flatfish is a girl.
> >
> > You think so?
> >
> > -----.
> >
> > --
> > "Great babylon has fallen, fallen, fallen;
> > Jerusalem has fallen, fallen, fallen!
> > The great, Great Beast is DEAD! DEAD! DEAD! DEAD!"
>
> Just a hunch. Flatfish does write well.  Also, in one posting, Flatfish
> admits being a girl.

As if anything Flatfish says is believable.

> --
> Michael Vester
> A credible Linux advocate
>
> "The avalanche has started, it is
> too late for the pebbles to vote"
> Kosh, Vorlon Ambassador to Babylon 5

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux a Miserable Consumer OS
Date: Sat, 05 May 2001 21:46:32 -0600

On 06 May 2001 01:07:58 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
wrote:

>Why not, 62 apps! :-

Geez, no wonder MS is getting so worried. Their timing was WAY off on
this one. It's far, far too late to stop the open-source movement.

I've got this mental image of BG tied across the tracks desperately
reciting his anti-linux mantra while a trainload of penguins bears
down on him. Heh heh!

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Sun, 06 May 2001 00:00:30 -0400

chrisv wrote:

> "John W. Stevens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Oh, and as a clue, you should realize that most people who define
> >themselves as homosexual or heterosexual are in actuality bisexual
> >with a preference for one sex over the other.  That preference may
> >be quite strong, but it isn't absolute.  One need simply look at
> >the increased incidence of homosexual contact in enforced, single
> >sex environments to discover that.
> >
> >It is bisexuality, not homo or hetero sexuality, that is survival
> >oriented and should be considered "normal".  Any objective, factual
> >study will show that most so-called hetero and homo sexuals will
> >actually engage in sexual behavior with both sexes, albeit with a
> >preference for one sex over the other.
>
> Hey, someone who has figured this out (and is willing to admit it).
> How refreshing.

You've GOT to be kidding.  Most men find the thought of having
sex with another man in ANY capacity to be absolutely revolting.

The only "bi-sexuality" of most men is that they are willing to BUY
sex from a woman (either directly, through prostitution, or indirectly,
by financial support of a wife).

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2001 00:04:13 -0400

"John W. Stevens" wrote:

> Edward Rosten wrote:
> >
> > OK, Aaron answre this...
> >
> > If homosexuality is such a sead end, how come it keeps cropping up n
> > many, many formes of life, after hunderds of million years have, by your
> > argument tried to get rid of it.
> >
> > If it's still here, there is probably a very god reason.
>
> Because, quite simply, most people who define themselves as homosexual,
> or heterosexual, do so because of societal pressure, when in fact they
> are probably bisexual with a preference.

You write like someone who was abused as a child.

I think Joseph Sobran sums it up nicely:

The Great "Gay" Racket
April 19, 2001

by Joe Sobran

     Getting in touch with my feelings the other
day, I realized how I loathe homosexuals. All of
them? Of course not. Some of them are funny, kind,
intelligent, and otherwise pleasant. But
homosexuals in general, yes. I can't stand them.
Especially the ones who are organized under the
rubric of "gay rights."

     I guess this makes me "homophobic." So what?
"Homophobia" is one of those ugly cant-words --
like "racist" and "sexist" -- that no self-
respecting speaker of the English language would
use. (Try to imagine Abraham Lincoln calling
someone "homophobic.") It's a verbal badge of
groupthink.

     Funny how the people who style themselves
victims always want to bully everyone else.
"Diversity" now means conformity. It means making
sensible people afraid to contradict nonsense so
obvious as to insult their intelligence.

     Normal people find homosexuality, especially
male homosexuality, repellent. We're supposed to
apologize for that? Our slang words for the anus,
and their use as insults, express our disgust with
the whole idea of anal sex. Apart from the personal
defilement it involves, it's grossly unsanitary.

     My own feelings are intensified by personal
experience. Believe me, when a child you love has
been sodomized, it takes a lot of the romance out
of buggery. What was merely disgusting becomes
nauseating. You needn't hate the perpetrator --
who, in this case as in so many others, had been
sodomized as a child himself -- to feel utter
revulsion at the act, and contempt for those who
try to endow it with dignity.

     Will the victim now grow up to sodomize other
boys? Will he come down with AIDS? Will he, on his
wedding night, remember this first "sexual"
experience?

     Another instance of homosexual pedophilia has
been in the news lately -- or rather, hasn't been
in the news. In 1999 two Arkansas perverts raped,
tortured, and murdered a 13-year-old boy; that
crime has been almost totally ignored by the same
news media that spent a year bewailing the murder
of the homosexual Matthew Shepard.  Because the boy
was a victim rather than a victimizer of
homosexuals, his story might hurt The Cause. No
martyr he!

     The standard "gay" line on pedophilia is that
most child molesters are heterosexuals. This is
sheer propaganda. Homosexuals are only 1 or 2
percent of the general population (despite their
inflated claims -- also propagandist -- of 10
percent), yet they are wildly disproportionate
among pedophiles.

     What is more important, though, is that most
heterosexuals are more than willing to punish
molesters of little girls. They don't make excuses
for them or cover up their crimes. They recognize
norms of behavior.

     But pedophiles are an integral part of the
"gay rights" movement. Does that movement repudiate
them? Not at all. On the contrary, the North
American Man/Boy Love Association is a regular and
welcome contingent at "gay pride" marches. In
England, organized "gays" agitate for lowering the
age of consent for sex.

     This stands to reason. Homosexuality is an
abandonment not only of the normal, but of any
norms. Once you approve of promiscuous anal sex
with strangers, how can you draw a line against
anything? Why not have anal sex with kids, if
that's your thing?

     And once again, the news media -- which love
to highlight any "extremists" at conservative
events -- refuse to report on pedophiles in the
movement. It might embarrass The Cause. If it's
"diversity" you want, don't look for it among
journalists.

     I used to feel sorry for homosexuals. However
they became that way, it was an inclination I could
only pity them for being saddled with, since so
much of normal life was closed off to them. And I
understand why parents who find out their sons are
homosexual want to protect them, even if it means
denying that homosexuality is a serious disorder.
That's natural.

     But no parent is glad to learn his son is
"gay"; no parent would wish that condition on a
child. This is why all the propaganda of "gay
pride" rings false. Normal people aren't even proud
of being normal; they take it for granted. But
"pride" in an abnormality?

     I don't blame anyone for being sick. I blame
them for telling me that sickness is just another
form of health.

or call 800-513-5053.

Copyright (c) 2001 by the Griffin Internet
Syndicate, www.griffnews.com. All rights reserved.

> Bisexuals, even those with a strong preference for same sex contact,
> are obviously capable of reproduction.
>
> Also, homosexual contact has distinct advantages for primitive
> cultures, increasing the survival rating of the group.  Less so
> for more modern cultures.
>
> --
>
> If I spoke for HP --- there probably wouldn't BE an HP!
>
> John Stevens
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Paul Dossett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.linux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: The long slow slide to Microsoft.NOT
Date: Sun, 06 May 2001 04:09:28 GMT

"Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9d1bcp$2pi$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "JVercherIII" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:ADVI6.297$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Civility people! I use both Linux and Windows, and both have their
places
> > (IMHO). I make a living right now writing VB programs so I'm kind of
> living
> > off the Microsoft gravy train. That being said, they do some things
which
> > are very unpleasing. My main complaint with Microsoft is that they
stifle
> > innovation. They never have come up with an original idea.
>
> Bullshit, and a big one.
>
> To name a few of the top of my head:
> COM
> COM+
> MTS
> IE (No other browser can come even close, Mozilla can't render yahoo.com
> properly, and crash when you try to send a bug report)

IE, you say?  Here's IE's copyright info:

Based on NCSA Mosaic. NCSA Mosaic(TM); was developed at the National Center
for Supercomputing Applications at the University of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign.
Distributed under a licensing agreement with Spyglass, Inc.
Contains security software licensed from RSA Data Security Inc.
Portions of this software are based in part on the work of the Independent
JPEG Group.
Contains SOCKS client software licensed from Hummingbird Communications Ltd.
Contains ASN.1 software licensed from Open Systems Solutions, Inc.
Multimedia software components, including Indeo(R); video, Indeo(R) audio,
and Web Design Effects are provided by Intel Corp.
Unix version contains software licensed from Mainsoft Corporation. Copyright
(c) 1998-1999 Mainsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Mainsoft is a
trademark of Mainsoft Corporation.
Warning: This computer program is protected by copyright law and
international treaties. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this
program, or any portion of it, may result in severe civil and criminal
penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the
law.

Notice the word MICROSOFT anywhere in there?  The program was written by
another company, based on work by yet ANOTHER group - Microsoft has only
added bells and whistles (and numerous security holes).

--
Paul D