From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 23:36:55 -0400

billwg wrote:

> I think that you would be hard pressed to cite any such e-mail that
> described a requirement for any illegal contract negotiation.  Microsoft has
> been very rigorous in following the Consent Agreement in all actions
> subsequent to signing the Consent Agreement.

you misspelled "tiptoeing on very-carefully worded changes they nogotiated
into the Consent decrees so that they could violate the spirit of said decrees."

Judge Jackson recognized this, which is why he said he wants them broken up.

>                                         You want to attribute evil
> activities to Microsoft out of some bias against them, but there is simply
> no grounds for upholding any such charge.  The DOJ pored through millions of
> lines of e-mail and presented the most incriminating of the lot.
>
> Unfortunately it would appear that they lost sight of their case in their
> zest to make the Microsoft executives look uncooperative.  As if there is
> any expectation that they should be.  But the DOJ failed to make a case for
> Netscape actually being any threat to Microsoft and failed to show how
> Microsoft's actions could be declared in support of maintenance of any
> monopoly that might have existed after review of that finding and it looks
> like their entire case will disappear at the DC Circuit level.
>
> "T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Said billwg in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 06 May 2001 14:30:54 GMT;
> > >Do you have any authentication for that letter?  That condition would be
> an
> > >explicit violation of the Consent Agreement and would be of extreme
> interest
> > >to the DOJ, at least the previous administration DOJ.  I suspect that the
> > >story is bogus since there was such an extensive search made by the DOJ
> for
> > >any such agreements or documents from Microsoft to the extent of
> subpoenaing
> > >contracts from most of the OEMs over the objection of Microsoft but by
> order
> > >of the Jackson court.
> >
> > Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha.  Yes, the court record is replete with examples of
> > such behavior.  They don't only have documents similar to the ones from
> > The Microsoft Files, (the contracts simply show what was done, not what
> > MS [or the OEM] refused to do, so they aren't incriminating in this way)
> > but internal emails from Microsoft which precisely explain the
> > anti-competitive intent behind such letters.
> >
> > --
> > T. Max Devlin
> >   *** The best way to convince another is
> >           to state your case moderately and
> >              accurately.   - Benjamin Franklin ***

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windos is *unfriendly*
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 20:36:16 -0700

"Rob S. Wolfram" wrote:

> GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >  I probably will end up
> >using Suse 7.1 only if it now has the drivers to the lucent winmodems.
>
> This message came to you via a Lucent linmodem ;-)
> So maybe you will not find the ltmodem module in vanilla SuSE, but via
> www.linmodems.org you can find a tarball with pretty verbose
> descriptions of how to build the module for your kernel.
>
> HTH,
> Rob
> --
> Rob S. Wolfram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  OpenPGP key 0xD61A655D
>    The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore,
>    be regarded as a criminal offence.
>                 -- E.W. Dijkstra, SIGPLAN Notices, Volume 17, Number 5

Thank you!  I lost that link a while back.  I found it indirectly on HPs
site.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 23:38:14 -0400

billwg wrote:

> Oh I am sure that a monopoly can be made to exist in some way, shape, or
> form, but I don't see how such a thing really applies to Microsoft.  But
> that's another topic entirely.  What is at issue here is the leveraging of
> Windows with DOS.  That, I contend, is 180 out from the conventional
> interpretation of the Microsoft "tying" issues and not in evidence in either
> the Contempt Hearings or the Antitrust Violation cases.
>
> The usual charge is that Microsoft FUDded the world into using only pure
> MS-DOS or PC-DOS with Windows through such strategies as the Christmas Beta
> scare and some whispering campaign regarding future compatibility.
> Microsoft also incented OEMs to buy the package by essentially giving away
> DOS when it was bundled with Windows.  DOS was only about $5 per system
> anyway when subject to the per processor discounting in effect prior to the
> Consent Agreement signing.  The OEMs wanted Windows and would toe the line
> on DOS to get it.

In other words, Mafia$oft had a monopoly, and was using it's monopoly
power to conduct illegal activities.

> "T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Said billwg in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 06 May 2001 11:56:29 GMT;
> > >"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> documents.
> > >>
> > >This doesn't seem to gibe with the Caldera case theory for one thing.
> Their
> > >assertion was that Microsoft used Windows to leverage MS-DOS, not
> vice-versa
> > >as you seem to be saying.
> >
> > The teleology is not what is important; only the resultant
> > anti-competitive effect.  What leads you to believe that MS could not
> > both leverage DOS with Windows, and leverage Windows with DOS?  You're
> > not one of those guys who denies the existence of the very concept of
> > monopolization, are you?
> >
> > --
> > T. Max Devlin
> >   *** The best way to convince another is
> >           to state your case moderately and
> >              accurately.   - Benjamin Franklin ***

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Just how commercially viable is OSS?... (Was Re: Interesting MS
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 20:38:49 -0700

--
Hehehe... At least Bills' got some balls... who else would name a
company after his own dick??

From: Charles Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to hack with a crash, another Microsoft "feature"
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 03:41:27 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Chad Everett wrote:
>
>>SNIP for bandwidth<<
> They even had a complete model smuggled out of Poland.

Correct, but they had already broken the code. Having the Polish machine
confirmed the work and made it easier to keep up with rotor changes.

> > They didn't need to capture enigma machines.  Your history is a little off
> > here.
> >
> > The Polish, and later the French and British cracked most of the enigma
> > without ever having captured a single enigma machine.  They actually
> > built duplicates based on their amazing work in cryptography and mathematics.
> > See http://insci14.ucsd.edu/~ma187s/students/enigma.html
> >

> The best source is "The Code Breakers" by David Kahn.

Agreed, but not quiet complete. After it was written, the Brits released
some additional material. To try to get credit for building the first
digital computer, I think. Kahn might include that material in his next
edition. If he doesn't, everyone involved will be dead and the true
story lost forever.

--
Russ Lyttle
"World Domination through Penguin Power"

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Alan Cox responds to Mundie
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 20:41:31 -0700

Chad Everett wrote:

> On Sun, 06 May 2001 22:39:24 -0700, GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >Hmmmm.... does that mean my code that I wrote for DOD and then given to
> >GenRad Corp. for free means I should get just compensation for it??  I
> >didn't get a dime extra for it.
> >

> No, because you're one of those old guys responsible for all those
> Y2K problems.

HEHEe... none of my code had used dates... it was scientific software.
:-)
We found a hole in their vertical market.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: The long slow slide to Microsoft.NOT
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 20:43:18 -0700

Chad Myers wrote:

> "Chad Everett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Mon, 07 May 2001 02:53:44 GMT, Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > >
> > >"Pancho Villa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > >It's so amusing to watch people go to all lengths to ensure that Microsoft
> > >never gets any credit for anything.
> > >

> > What do you mean?  Microsoft gets credit for stealing lots of innovative
> > ideas.
>
> COM, MTS, and COM+ were firsts in the industry. There may have been
> similar technologies, but there was no copying or stealing.
>
> CORBA is copying. 99% of anything GUI in Linux is stolen from Microsoft,
> so perhaps you shouldn't throw rocks...
>
> Besides, where is Linux's enterprise-grade transaction processor?
>
> Oh yeah, that's right...
>
> -c

You aren't trying out for the Darwin award are you??

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 20:45:50 -0700

Pancho Villa wrote:

> "T. Max Devlin" wrote:
> >
> > Said Chad Myers in alt.destroy.microsoft on Mon, 07 May 2001 02:53:44
> > >"Pancho Villa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > >It's so amusing to watch people go to all lengths to ensure that Microsoft
> > >never gets any credit for anything.
> >
> > It's the first I've heard of SOM and DSOM.  Kind of, I don't know,
> > eerie, don't you think?
> >
> SOM and DSOM are absolutely awesome, Max.  Along with OpenDoc, if
> Linux could ever get ahold of those, it could really make Linux a lot
> better.
>
> SOM and DSOM has to do with full object orientation.  I think object
> orientation has three components, and COM/DCOM has only one of those.
> Visual Basic and OLE also have only one them.  That is one of the
> reasons why Visual Basic is lacking as a programming language.  If you
> wanna check out a real cool macro language, look at REXX (another
> really cool innovation sort of killed by MS)
> --
> Pancho
> "Villa is everywhere but Villa is nowhere." A frustrated comment by
> U.S. General Jack Pershing, 1916.

There may be a good possibility IBM will port those over to linux.
Things are looking up these days.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 23:51:16 -0400

Eric Leblanc wrote:

> "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> [snip]
>

> > Typically, when trying to break encryption without knowing the algorithm,
> > you either look for common algorithms, or you look for patterns that match
> > known language patterns.  If you disguise the language patterns by making
> > sure that even the same phrase doesn't create the same series of bytes, then
> > you remove the ability to deduce a new algorithm.
>
> Just a historical point here.
>
> When the German made the Enigma machine they made it so that if you encoded
> the letter 'A' it never coded itself to 'A'. From what i read, it helped the
> Allies find pattern.

No...if you look at the schematic for the Enigma, it is entirely for a
ciphertext letter to be identical to it's corresponding plain text letter.

> > data
> > the
> > >
> > > There are only 16 possible 4 bit keys. NSA would probably spend about 16
> > > microseconds decrypting your message, no matter how you applied the key.
> >
> > I doubt it.
>
> Post your algorithm to sci.crypt.
>
> --
> Eric Leblanc               <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Departement de Mathematique % Univ. du Quebec a Montreal, Montreal, Qc
> Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no
> account be allowed to do the job.
>                 -- Douglas Adams, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 20:52:14 -0700

SoneoneElse wrote:

> On Sun, 06 May 2001 20:21:32 GMT, T. Max Devlin
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Atkinson, Tony Williams,
> >>and Craig Whittenburg.  The OMG was not even founded until 1989, and didn't
> >>issue its first spec until 1991.
> >
> >For certain definitions of the term "existed" maybe.  COM didn't exist
> >until it was implemented (1990, with LOTS of flaws), if you're going to
> >compare it to the OMG implementations of CORBA; the engineering leading
> >up to these developments were also years in the making.  I recall I
> >first heard of CORBA in the late 1990, in fact, though I may be
> >misremembering, as I haven't any way to fix the date I was reading the
> >article.  It seemed to be more well developed even at that time than
> >Microsoft's COM.  Then again, whether Microsoft's COM was developed, or
> >whether it just grew on the monopoly like moss grows on a rock, is
> >somewhat debatable.
> >
> >--
> It just more funkenbush.
> Remember what CORBA stands for?
> Common ORB Architecture.
> CORBA is not a technology, it is a specification for ORBs.
> So that they can:
>
> * Have a common interface. Making code more portable across ORBs.
> * Interoperate. So if you have one orb on one machine, it can talk to
> a different orb on a different machine ( or even the same machine ).
>
> Before CORBA was even concieved, ORB technology was fairly well
> developed.

Ah,.. its' as I thought... He's running for the Darwin award again.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why does Flatfoot feel so threatened?
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 23:55:52 -0400

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > On 07 May 2001 02:01:36 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
> > wrote:
> >
> > >I have found the software well written, the authors friendly
> > >and approachable, usually answering my emails about bugs or
> > >features, within ONE day.
> >
> > I'll agree with the author part, my experience has been the same.
> >
> > Flatfish
> Now, if only Microsoft had that sort of response time, then I would be
> really impressed.

Well, first they have to figure out which mental hospital the
programmer works out of.

Then, they have to see if he's still on the same medications, and thus in
the same state of mind, or if they have him on a new regimen, requiring
that the patient/programmer/lackey be reverted back to the old regimen
so that he can figure out what the fuck he was doing when he wrote the
original code.

> Matthew Gardiner

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 20:56:44 -0700

Tom Wilson wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> <snip>

> and
> move
> > >
> > > While I'll agree with the earlier assessment that you can do anything in
> > > PASCAL you can in C (Especially using Borland's implementation which I
> have
> > > since v3.0), you'll miss out on key points of C/C++ if you stick to that
> > > mindset. Dealing with templates and smart-pointers can be rather
> difficult
> > > if you're thinking PASCAL - Particularly when you get into OLE VARIANT
> > > types. Data can be far more abstracted than PASCAL will allow and your
> > > clients need not know or care what's being tossed at them. This sort of
> > > thing seemed anethma to me when I started out and I had to fight to make
> > > sense of it. You see the beauty of it eventually, but, strong-type
> thinking
> > > will slow the process.
> >
> > Any version of PASCAL which is commercially useful is non-standard.
>
> PASCAL, in any of its' incarnations, can hobble someone trying to use some
> of the trickier aspects of C++.  Data types, particularly under COM, are
> abstract and require a far different approach than any Wirth language's
> strong-typing. Whether that's good or bad, is a matter of opinion, I guess.
> Writing code libraries to be distributed and used among platforms as
> different as C/C++, VB, Java, and ASP kind of demands that level of
> abstraction.
>
> Strong typing is going the way of hair bands, glam rock, and VD that
> responded to penecillin (God, those were the days <g>).
>
> Anyway, standard PASCAL is useless for anything more than teaching Modular
> Programming techniques. Borland really spiced it up and made it viable for
> serious use, though. I used it religiously in my DOS days. I only went back
> to C when Windows became inevitable. Borland's PASCAL offerings for that
> platform really didn't cut it for me and C was a much better choice for
> Windows 3/3.11 message based programming (Especially with a good case
> generator).

You should see DEC Pascal... they've added on so many extensions to make
it useful that it looks like a new language rather than pascal... Aaron
is correct.