From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Steinberg)
Subject: Re: Intel versus Sparc
Date: 23 Apr 2001 22:11:48 GMT

Jon Johansan ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: "Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
: news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
: > I even went as far as to build it for Linux -- a core dump resulted.
:
: WHAT?! I thought linux never crashed. You mean some unrulely application
: took the whole system down?? But it can't be - I thought only evil nasty
: Windows did that?

>From your post in the thread titled "bank switches from using NT 4":

> PC users should not pretend to be enterprise engineers.

And now this.  So, how exactly does one get to be an "Enterprise
Engineer" without knowing anything about UNIX, anyway?  Maybe it's some
kind of MSCE certification?

Please, do you have any more valuable opinions you would like to share
about Linux or UNIX?  We'd all love to hear more deep thoughts from the
"Enterprise Engineer" who doesn't know what a core dump is.

--
David Steinberg                             -o)
Computer Engineering Undergrad, UBC         / \

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 18:16:13 -0400

chrisv wrote:

> Ace Agincourt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >? >So you think a man who throws a young child on an unexploded hand
> >? >grenade, to save himself, has committed no crime, moral or legal?
> >?
> >? No, I think he is stupid and a murderer.
> >?
> >? Stupid because thatīs a silly way to try to save yourself from a
> >? grenade (Itīs probably faster to try to jump away or throw the
> >? grenade instead).
> >
> >So a man who throws himself onto a grenade, lobbed into a football
> >stadium, is being stupid, not a hero, as it's a silly way to save
> >others' lives.
>
> Shut up, you f'ing retard!  Sheesh, you are the stupidest pile of puke
> I've ever seen post in here!  And that is saying something!
>
> Attempting to throw a small child on a hand grenade is NOT as
> effective as throwing your own, much larger, body on it, OBVIOUSLY,
> you God-damned idiot.

You know this from experience?

>                           Now go away and take you assinine questions
> with you!

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 18:17:35 -0400

Roberto Alsina wrote:

> billh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >"Roberto Alsina"
> >
> >> "killing at war is not murder because it's not unlawful".
> >>
> >> Now, whether you can see what you said or not, is not my problem.

> >> No, not the same, but one implies the other. And you said enough
> >> to imply what I said you said.
> >
> >And the point remains.  You are wrong to say killing in war is wrong.
>
> I see proof by blatant assertion is still considered logic by some.

Axioms do not need proof, moron.

> --
> Roberto Alsina

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.society.liberalism,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
Subject: Re: Communism
Date: 23 Apr 2001 22:21:03 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

: At least you admit you were lying when you said you had
: not advocated shooting people just for being democrats.

: IF you were a fan of freedom instead of a totalitarian,
: you would not advocate killing people for their ideas,
: but rather overt actions that are endangering the lives
: of others.

As I've tried to point out in other postings, there is a very fine
line between advocating government-sponsored theft, slavery and murder
on one hand, and conspiring with others to commit it on the other.

To knowingly vote for a communist (including pretty much any
Democrat), or to be a member of a communist party (including but
certainly not limited to the Democrat party), treads awfully close to
the wrong side of that line.

I certainly wouldn't want to indict every Democrat voter under
conspiracy and treason charges, because many do so out of sheer
ignorance, not intending malice toward their fellow Citizens, any more
than do those who vote Republican for similar reasons.  Voting for a
traitor in ignorance certainly demonstrates ignorance, but it does not
necessarily demonstrate willful treason.  And, ordinarily,
willfullness is very hard to prove.

But folks who troll Usenet defending and even bragging about their
support of Democrats, communists, and other traitors are worse than
the garden-variety fools whose ignorance is dangerous enough.  These
folks know that they are using the corruption of our so-called
"government" to steal from others to enrich themselves.  They
purposely and knowingly conspire with others to do so, and,
unfortunately, they have been all too successful.

These folks' overt actions *are* endangering the lives of each and
every one of us, including themselves.

I'm not saying that they should be rounded up and shot.  Even
criminals have the same rights as all other people do, *until* they
are convicted of a crime, and very few of these bastards have been,
due to the horrendous corruption of every aspect of our "government"
and "legal" system.

But the rest of us have rights too.  The traitors have worked very
hard to erode these rights, to a point where our once-proud Republic
is only a sickly, weak shadow of its former self.  They need to be
stopped, and I think that seeing a few of the worst traitors punished
according to law, as an example to the rest, might be a small but
positive step in the right direction.

Joe

   P.S. Nothing in this post should be construed as an attack against
        *any* person of good will, regardless of his or her beliefs,
        nor as condoning those who knowingly commit treason of the
        right-wing variety - it is less common but just as vile.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 18:21:55 -0400

Roberto Alsina wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 11:12:21 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Roberto Alsina wrote:

> >> And didn't those marxists get paid by moscow, Aaron?
> >>
> >> Note for the casual reader, this is all in Aaron's head, don't
> >> take anythin in this post as a description of anything that
> >> actually happened, will happen, or could happen, except by
> >> accident.
> >
> >The Venona files document that, in fact, I am correct.
> >Hope that helps.
>
> Any particular reason why you didn't say that in the OTHER
> answer to my post?

Bugs the fuck out of you, doesn't it.

>                Are you suffering some multiple personality
> disorder?
>
> --
> Roberto Alsina

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windows 2K is crappy: a couple of examples
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 00:22:35 +0200

"Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:_%0F6.9473$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Chad Everett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Moved the CD-RW drive to a SuSE 7.1 Linux box and with a few easy
> > and well documented permission settings on a device file and I've
> > got a CD-RW drive that normal users can use to create CDs.
>
> Well documented?  About as well documented as the Windows settings to do
the
> same thing.

*How * can I do the same thing with Windows 2000?

------------------------------

From: d'geezer@d'geezer.net
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 22:29:19 GMT

On 23 Apr 2001 19:56:30 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina) wrote:

>d'geezer@d'geezer.net <d'geezer@d'geezer.net> wrote:

>>>Well, shooting at someone that's raping a woman is somewhat dangerous
>>>for the woman, is it not?
>>
>>For those who are bad shots. One can usually get extraordinarily to a rapist in
>>the act.
>
>Get extraordinarily what?

Typo.  "close" is the word I lost. Thank you for pointing it out.

>>>I would rather hit him in the kidneys with
>>>a blunt object.
>>
>>Peachy. Me too. THEN I'll shot him.
>
>Well, then you would probably go to jail, you know.
>
>>>Killing a rapist in the act of commiting a rape is not self defense.
>>
>>Oh? Ask the victim. Have you ever heard of AIDS?
>
>Did you miss the "self" in "self defense"?
>
>>Additionally we know that rather a large number of rapists decide, after all their
>>fun is over, that they should not leave a witness.
>
>Innocent of murder until he actually kills someone, dude.
>
>>Yes, I'd say it is self defense. Shoot the fuckers.
>>
>>>It can be a justified murder, though. But self defense? Nah.
>>
>>You a law school grad, are you?
>
>Nah.
>
>>>I am amazed at how people will misrepresent anything in order to
>>>make a bogus point.
>>
>>Yes, you do have considerably propensity for such.
>
>But I abstain from applying it almost all the time. Too bad
>such self control is not common.
>
>--
>Roberto Alsina

That is all? All you can come up with is pointing out a typo?

You can't even be a serious troll let alone someone that wants a reasoned debate.

d'geezer

"Anyone who wants to get rid of all guns, thinks that the earth should
be ruled by large,strong men with swords and clubs.  I think we
already tried that. It was called the Dark Ages."

             Christopher Morton,  Tue, 27 Mar 2001

------------------------------

From: "Steve Wolfe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
gnu.emacs.help,alt.religions.vim,alt.religion.emacs,fj.editor.vi,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Tired of XEMACS, moving to VIM
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 16:22:41 -0600

> punch cards are for weenies.
>
> Real men use front panel switches.

  Screw that.  I say they use soldering irons.

steve

------------------------------

From: "Steve Long" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 18:30:18 -0400

"Roberto Alsina" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 07:45:20 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> >Patrick Logan wrote:
> >>
> >> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
> >> in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> Microsoft Bob?
> >>
> >> The paper clip?
> >>
> >> The blue screen of death?
> >

> >Very good.  Now....name one piece of HIGH QUALITY Microsoft code
> >that didn't originate in ANOTHER company?
>
> Excel?
>
> --
> Roberto Alsina

sorry...Excel is a MicroPro ripoff.  come to think of it, the name
"Microsoft" is a MicroPro ripoff.  WNT is a VMS rip-off...for those that
recall HAL (the letters of IBM backed up one each), WNT is VMS forward one
character each.

MS Bob and Clippie are rip-offs from Commodore.

Blue screen of death i attribute completely to MS.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Crossposted-To: soc.singles
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 22:36:38 GMT

On 22 Apr 2001 00:39:26 -0500, Chad Everett
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >The point of telling them about homosexuality isn't to make converts,
> >it is to let kids who think they might be gay know that they are not
> >the only ones who feel that way.
>
> Thanks for proving my point.

Whoosh!  That one went right over my head.  What do you mean?

> That is one big fat lie and you know it.  Be honest.

No, I don't know it to be a lie.  In fact I will now state it more
strongly than I did above.  There is no organized effort by homosexuals
to recruit kids via sex education classes in the public schools.
Period.  It takes more than a little paranoia to think otherwise.

> I've attended some of these "information sessions" in public schools.
> They are blatant indoctrination sessions designed to teach kids that
> homosexuality is a normal, desirable lifestyle.

I did not get that impression from the one I went to.  Of course, the
speaker (a Mormon) did not go out of his way to say how evil it was
either.  Just that "some people are this way" and "some are that way".
Maybe that's what you object to, the neutraility of it.  Well, I don't
know how else they could do it in a public school and not get into
trouble with the constitution.

Maybe you don't believe in sex ed in school.  That's fine too.  At the
schools my kids were going to, the sexuality talk was optional, taught
in the evening, and required parental permission.  Parents were invited
to attend.  All as it should be.  Nobody was forcing the kids to be
there and there weren't any gay recruiters in evidence.

Maybe you saying that they should teach kids that homosexuality is
"bad" and that only "bad people" engage in it.  Why?  It isn't as if
kids are going to stop having homosexual feelings because your religion
disapproves.  It also isn't likely that straight kids are going to
suddenly feel a longing for gay sex as a result of a talk in school.
So what, exactly, is the point of all this disapproval?

> would happen if I wanted to teach the kids about my religious beliefs
> in a public school?

It is ok to teach _about_ religion in public schools.  It is not ok to
_advocate_ religion in public schools.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| Codem Systems, Inc.

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 22:40:08 GMT

Jon Johansan wrote:

> "Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > We downloaded the mingw32 version of gcc, and got
> > the code to build.  It still crashed.  I even
> > went as far as to build it for Linux -- a core
> > dump resulted.
>
> WHAT?! I thought linux never crashed. You mean some unrulely application
> took the whole system down?? But it can't be - I thought only evil nasty
> Windows did that?

That's a core dump, you numbskull -- a core dump is the result of
the OS writing an errant processes memory space to disk, so
that the user can do a post mortem on the process using gcb
(the debugger).  The only result is a file named "core".
Linux continues running.

You've just revealed your age range and experience to a
lot of us here.

Chris

--
"Where do you want to hang today?"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Subject: Re: * mail server not work on NT through cable modem
Date: 23 Apr 2001 17:20:59 -0500

You need to login to you Windows 2000 box as administrator. On the"start"
menu, select "run" and type in "cmd" for the name of the app to run.

You should get a command prompt window.  At the prompt type:

        format C: /X /C /Q

This will automatically reformat your mail server application.

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 22:45:14 GMT

mlw wrote:

> You must admit, even if reluctantly, passing a 64M structure is a bit extreme,
> wouldn't you?

It wasn't my code.  I wouldn't write code that depended on putting
that kind of structure on the stack!

> Depending on how either the OS or compiler environment sets up
> the data heap and stack, it is quite possible for a huge stack usage to grow
> the stack to the point where it either corrupts the heap or crosses a protected
> boundary. Remember programming 101 where you saw of the stack grows down and
> the heap grows up?

Doesn't matter so much if SS and ES are different segments.

> It has nothing to do with Intel. I have issues with Intel chips in general, but
> I don't think this is something you can blame on them.

You could be right.  Maybe the code on the Sparc was running under Solaris.
Or maybe the machine it was running on had more than the 128 Mb and the 96 Mb
of the machines I ran it on.

> It may be an OS limitation on stack size,

For Windows, I'm certain of it, since C++ Builder's linker would allow only
a 16 Mb max stack size.

> i.e. an empty VM page at the bottom
> of the stack which causes a page fault, or a compiler/linker issue with stack
> vs heap layout. Either way, it has nothing to do with the chip being used.

I need to learn more!

Thanks!

Chris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Subject: Re: Buy Microsoft stock!!!
Date: 23 Apr 2001 17:27:13 -0500

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 16:35:20 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>> >
>> > "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> > news:9c0ph4$sid$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>shipping
>> >
>> > By "cutting edge" I mean new, not "high end".  Many newer cards are
>intended
>> > to be low-cost solutions, such as the ones that use main memory for
>their
>> > video RAM.
>>
>> What kind of moron would want that?
>
>Anyone that buys an i810 based motherboard (and they sell millions)

Oh!  Thanks.  Those millions of morons that bought the i810 based motherboards.