From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is paralyzed before it even starts
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 00:12:58 +1200

> 1. Why exactly is Linux a bad joke on the desktop? I have been running it
> as my desktop for close to two years now. It is a great desktop os, much
> better than Win98, for what I do. ymmv. So, why is linux a bad joke?

I've been running it for 4 years, and I have had no problems what so ever
with either hardware support, or applications to suite my needs.

> 2. Why is linux dead on the desktop? Here in Japan it seems to be growing
> in popularity, mostly for servers, but also on desktops. This is just my
> impression, from things I see and hear, mind you.
>
> My windows machine at work is pretty much down for the count. It is so
> bad that my superviser actually asked me to try putting linux on it.
> See, they don't care what os I use, as long as I can get my work done.
> When windows loses most of its fonts, occasionally reboots for no
> reason, and requires expensive software to do what I can do with free
> software in Linux, they know I cannot get my work done.
>
> (Funny thing is that I posted a while back saying that I was impressed
> with my win98j machine at work because it had survived everything I had
> installed on it (gimp, mozilla, perl, latex, emacs, a whole lot of
> windows "shareware" (trying to find a good text editor) etc.).
>
> Then it suddenly starts screwing up. Oh, well.)
>
> Linux is catching up to Windows on the desktop very rapidly. With a
> preinstalled, preconfigured KDE box, most users prolly wouldn't know the
> difference. When it has fully caught up to Windows in the minds of
> unbiased "typical" users, what will MS do? How will they compete? Maybe
> start including something like winzip with the stardard install? Include
> a pdf viewer? All that stuff they could have been doing all these years
> but haven't?
>
> Windows XP is a supposedly a huge upgrade from win98? Aside
> from stability, what does it have to offer? WiMP and a new version of IE?
> That is it? Ok, pretend I had a windows box and bothered to put XP on it.
> What is MS going to include in the next release (about 2003 maybe?) that
> justifies me paying for it? A new look to the gui? Some stupid software
> like WiMP that gets bolted onto the os? Don't care. Not worth $100. Some
> new MPAA, RIAA approved content control bits deep in the os? Who's
> computer is this anyway?

XP is yet another product produced by the Spin Doctors at Microsoft.  The
latest reports are that Windows XP will require 64MB of Ram, minimum just
to get it up and running, and as most people know, Microsoft is always over
optimistic, so as a general rule, times the minimum requirement by 2.5, and
you will have a reasonable required memory that will run the OS and
applications at a reasonable speed. Thats not including the fact that
memory is not the only component, many users out their will be required to
buy a whole new computer, as most users have purchase proprietry setups,
thus, the processor is hard, if not impossible to upgrade for a lay
computer user, thus, even more expense.  If the only requirement was more
memory, then most people will not have an issue, however, when the
processor requirements go through the roof, then you have really got to ask
yourself whether what you are doing is being done in the most efficient
manor, and whether the added features are really required/demanded by users.

Matthew Gardiner

--
Disclaimer:

I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell)

If you don't like it, you can go [# rm -rf /home/luser] yourself

Running SuSE Linux 7.1

The best of German engineering, now in software form

------------------------------

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What will the pundits say after appellate ruling?
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 14:22:55 +0200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Tim Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> If you're holding out for an effective remedy from conservative judges
> and an administration in Microsoft's pocket, you'll most likely be
> disappointed.  Moreover, it's my guess that opponents of the Microsoft
> monopoly will not get justice in the United States in this generation.
> The public has given Gates credit for computing (much like it gave the
> Vanderbilts and Rockefellers credit for transportation), untainted
> politicians are isolated, competition is neutralized.  Customers have no
> choice and no say in products they use because there is no viable
> alternative.  Innovation is stifled and there is little we can do.
>
>>From a business standpoint Microsoft enjoys the status of the drug lords
> of South American countries.  Here in Washington state, people know
> something isn't right with Microsoft's business practices, but they look
> the other way because the company brings in so much money to the area.
>
> I think the only solution remaining lies with other countries, those on
> the paying end.  There is a growing sentiment against sending software
> dollars to an American monopolist.  Maybe that will dislodge this
> particular tooth.

Ah,

But this is where the European Commision comes in. Mr. Mario Monti, who
handles trade affairs, and thus has anti-trust in his portfolio, has
said, regarding complaints brought before the comission by Sun, that his
department has a deal with the US DoJ. In a nutshell: the DoJ gets to
prosecute Microsoft first, as it *is* a US corporation. In the event of
an unsuccesful prosecution, the EC will start looking into MS's behaviour
in the light of EU regulations.
Let me tell you, it doesn't look good for MS. If they get off in the US,
they will find that they will now have to fight the EU. While I am of the
opinion that the EC is a nightmare because it doesn't have (enough)
accountability towards the European Parliament, this also means that they
are a lot less easy to sway with lobbying, and the argument that 'what's
good for Microsoft is good for the economy' doesn't quite fly in Europe
(as I said, they are a US company after all). MS *won't* get off
scot-free. Whether or not they will be punished enough remains to be
seen, but they are not out of the woods yet.
Of course, the US might want to threaten a trade war over this, but it
remains to be seen whether or not this scares the EU. These tactics
failed with regards to privacy regulations as well, and given GWB's
preference for heavy-handed tactics, he is likely to *increase* the EU's
resistance to US demands (and a good thing too, we've been a faithful US
doggy for far too long IMNSHO).

Mart

--
Write in C, write in C,
Write in C, yeah, write in C.

------------------------------

From: "jim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Another Windows pc gets Linux
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 23:36:43 +1200

"Terry Porter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Soon I will be converting my Wife's Win98 machine to Linux, however saving
all
> her stuff has been painfully difficult.

Don't worry, accidentally installing a server operating system over a far
superior desktop operating system will surely make your wife feel all the
better that you know SO MUCH more about computers than she does.

------------------------------

From: "jim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The upgrade
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 00:08:12 +1200

> > Linux SuSE 7.1 just... worked. Hey!
> >
> > --
> > Pete
> >
> I had the same thing happen when I upgraded my mobo around 1998
> Win98 went into 'safe' mode, and RedHat4.2 worked as usual.

I have installed DOS V6.2 in every x86 box I have trouble with - no problem.
Linux installs with a but......but......but........ if you did THIS and did
THAT......

Unix is for Physics Majors and Chemistry teachers. Please leave it to the
experts!

"Redhat working as normal"

login:

root

Segmentation Fault

same diff

crap>/dev/ttyS0

------------------------------

From: "jim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 23:57:29 +1200

> I've noticed on my faster machine (400MHz PII) Linux + XFree86 doesn't
play
> MPG files very well. On Windows 98 SE they work just fine. Overall
graphics
> on thius system performs poorly compared to Windows 98 SE.

Here Here!

MPEGS look like crude flip-frame animated GIFS under Linux - BEOS does a far
better job. Well ummm Windows - even better. No wonder Bill is rich.

------------------------------

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Exploit devastates WinNT/2K security
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 14:41:21 +0200
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Tomaz Cedilnik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Mart van de Wege wrote:

>> This is what set me wondering lately, as NIS shares every password
>> except root, how would you do remote administration of client machines?
>
> Obviously not through NIS. Other tools would be provided and they would
> require a password. If all else fails, use telnet. Or walk there. ;-)
>
> Tom
Yes, well, I have a deal with my flatmate: without her express permission
I cannot and wil not enter her room (she's only renting it, we don't have
any kind of relationship). OTOH, as I said, she knows nothing of
computers, so I need some way to administer her maching remotely. The
point may be moot, as I might spend my bonus on a laptop instead of a
3rd PC. She could then borrow the laptop if she needs it, and laptops by
their very nature don't need to stay connected to a network (But with
Linux on it she would still have her very own account).
She is BTW another example of Linux being friendly for a newbie: I
plonked her down at my machine running first Gnome and later KDE on her
account, and she has no more difficulties than any other newbie Windows
user in getting things done. Of course she has a semi-competent flatmate
(me) managing the machine :).

Mart

From: "MH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 - It is a crappy product
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 12:47:59 GMT

"Terry Porter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Sun, 29 Apr 2001 13:05:23 GMT, MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > "Donn Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> MH wrote:
> <snip>
> >> Correction:  MH couldn't get past the NIC setup.  Also, it's probably
> >> just because you're so used to setting up Windows boxes, and know
> >> absolutely nothing about Linux, except how to bitch about how its "ease
> >> of use" sucks compared to Windows.  Maybe you should just try another
> >> Linux distro instead of just generalizing the entirety of Linux based
on
> >> your ineptness or failings with one particular distro.
> >
> > Typical LinZealot response. Your ilk is so predictable. You are also an
> > idiot.

> Pot Kettle ...Black.

Sometimes you just lose your patience with people --linZealots have this
effect on many.

> > The box is RedHat 6.2. The drivers for the card were 'certified' to run
> > under this very distro.
>
> One windows whistler box, one win98 box, one
> winME box, and one RedHat Linux box, was your description of the OS's, in
your

> You neglected at the time to say it was Redhat6.2!

I didn't mention the build of Whistler either, did I? Sue me!

> You're using Whistler, a very late Windows OS, and a ancient version of
RedHat,
> ver 6.2 in fact, when Redhat is at version 7 currently. Whats the matter,
> couldn't you affort the $10 for the latest version of Redhat ?

I'm beta testing Whistler. A little time with it each week and I get a free
copy of the RTM product from MS. Is this a crime? That's how I got WinME as
well. Cost me nothing. Just a couple of hours a week doing diag and
reporting to the MS beta site. You of all people should understand not
wanting to plunk down $$ for a MS OS. Geez, ... you F'n linZealots are
really some irrational mofo's, you do realize that don't you? Here you are,
bitching about me not plunking down the $10 to upgrade to RH 7.1? When are
you cola children going to stop talking out of all sides of your mouth? I
thought the deal with Linux was 'whatever works for you'? Now you're telling
me I'm creating my own problems by not upgrading because the newer product
is so much better? Can you even hear youself?  Which is it going to be?
Use whatever works for me or get on the upgrade wagon just like with MS
stuff?
What a complete head case you are. Get help pal.

> Typical UberWintroll, arranging the 'setup' so your OS looks good, then
> plastering your nonsense all over usenet.

I didn't 'arrange' anything. The setup IS the setup. I've since gotten the
NIC in the redhat box to work.
But I know you don't care about that. All you care about is attacking people
that you don't agree with.
Your concept of 'all over usenet' is another hilarious statement.  Go to
google and count my posts  vs. yours. I'll bet your posts are 10 for every 1
of mine. Pot kettle black you say. Double standard your middle name there
Terry? It F'n should be. Are you normally this stupid or do you work on it?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Davey)
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 12:50:41 GMT

In article <9cjihs$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "jim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Don't worry, accidentally installing a server operating system over a far
>superior desktop operating system will surely make your wife feel all the
>better that you know SO MUCH more about computers than she does.

Have you ever actually used Linux? It certainly doesn't sound like it.
Ignorance is bliss, eh?

ian.

 \ /
(@_@)  http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/ (dark literature)
/(&)\  http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/libertycaptions/ (art)
 | |

------------------------------

From: "MH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 12:50:31 GMT

"Gary Hallock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Terry Porter"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > You're using Whistler, a very late Windows OS, and a ancient version of
> > RedHat, ver 6.2 in fact, when Redhat is at version 7 currently. Whats
> > the matter, couldn't you affort the $10 for the latest version of Redhat
>
> Actually, Redhat is now at 7.1.  Now with the 2.4 kernel, XFree4, and KDE
> 2.1.1 standard.  Much better than 7.0 and  worlds away from 6.2.
> Everything "just works" now.

Sounds so much like "Much better than 95, and worlds away from 3.11.
Everything 'just works' now"
The more things may seem different, the more they are the same.

------------------------------

From: "MH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 12:57:46 GMT

"Terry Porter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On 29 Apr 2001 10:43:08 -0500, Jan Johanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > "Donn Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> <snip>
> >> Correction:  MH couldn't get past the NIC setup.  Also, it's probably
> >> just because you're so used to setting up Windows boxes, and know
> >> absolutely nothing about Linux, except how to bitch about how its "ease
> >> of use" sucks compared to Windows.  Maybe you should just try another
> >> Linux distro instead of just generalizing the entirety of Linux based
on
> >> your ineptness or failings with one particular distro.
> >
> > Oh - I see how this double standard works.

Yes. It is a HUGE double standard. This would explain 100's of posts to
usenet in a matter of days.
If they behave this way in the real world they can't possibly maintain a
real relationship.
Nobody would put up with such BS and double standards from people. This is
what they are left with.
Spewing hate and nonense on cola. Sad really.

> > If we can't figure out the arcane crap and hoops that Linux makes us
jump
> > through then it's our fault.

> Its called education, Wintroll.

Heal thyself. Let he without sin ... get the picture yet

> > When a linvocate can't get even a default install of W2K working right,
it's
> > Windows fault?

> Hey I thought Win2k was 'easy' ?

> > Face it, and this is undeniable, linux is much much more difficult to
setup
> > and use.

> Than what ?

Don't poke sticks at the troubled individual children ... move to the next
exhibit.

------------------------------

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 13:53:36 +0200

jim wrote:

> Unix is for Physics Majors and Chemistry teachers. Please leave it to
> the experts!
>
> "Redhat working as normal"
>
> login:
>
> root
>
> Segmentation Fault
>
> same diff

You got it (just slightly) wrong: It is for those with more than half a
brain.
That said, it surely is nothing for you.

Peter

--
Stop repeating yourself. Try something original - like suicide

------------------------------

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does Linux support "Burn-Proof" CDRW's
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 15:00:22 +0200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"pip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Actually .deb is not much better than rpm. About the only significant
>> difference is that .deb supports multiple levels of dependency (ie:
>> requires, recommends and suggests).
>> Why you hear so many people (me included) raving about .deb is the
>> tools supplied to manage them. The basic package manager is dpkg which
>> is functionally equivalent to rpm, but the tools that build on dpkg are
>> the real winners. Apt-get install <foo> for example installs foo and
>> all required dependencies. Apt-get build-dep <foo> makes sure that you
>> have all the required development packages on your system to build foo,
>> and apt-get --compile source <foo> fetches foo and compiles it for you
>> (you'd still have to install the binaries manually though).
>
> Interesting. The Apt-get thing sounds interesting. When you say that it
> installs the required dependencies, do you mean that it simply prompts
> you like rpm, or does it actually allow you to download them there and
> then?

Even better: it will download it for you there and then. It first shows
what it needs, and then prompts you if you want to download all that.
I'll paste an example from a terminal window:

"drebbelstraat20:/home/mvdwege# apt-get install netscape
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  communicator communicator-base-477 communicator-smotif-477 netscape-base-4
  netscape-base-477 netscape-java-477
  communicator communicator-base-477 communicator-smotif-477 netscape
  netscape-base-4 netscape-base-477 netscape-java-477
0 packages upgraded, 7 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/12.5MB of archives. After unpacking 23.0MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]"

See that it nicely tells you what it needs, and how big the download is
going to be (0 in my case, because I mirrored the entire package
hierarchy to my local HD)? Another example, but now getting the
development packages to build (part of) KDE:

"drebbelstraat20:/home/mvdwege# apt-get build-dep kdebase
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libglade0-dev libxml-dev
  kde-designer kdelibs-dev lesstif-dev libarts-dev libcdparanoia0-dev
  libkmid-dev liblcms-dev libldap2-dev libmng-dev libpcre3-dev libqt-dev
  libqutil1 libsasl-dev libxml2-dev
0 packages upgraded, 14 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
Need to get 747kB/6764kB of archives. After unpacking 23.4MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]"

Again, see that apt tells me exactly what it needs, how much it wants to
download and how much already is in my local mirror?
And building that mirror is as easy as changing 2 lines in 2
well-documented config files and running apt-move mirror for the full
mirror, or apt-move sync to only mirror what is already install on your
system.
Apt has 2 major shortcomings: it needs a good internet connection unless
you mirror locally to your HD, but the Debian package archive for example
is about 3.5G.
And secondly, apt is not very good at installing individually downloaded
packages, it relies on someone else to set up a well integrated archive,
so that it can satisfy dependencies. So if your distributor doesn't
provide you with that you're SOL. At the moment there are AFAIK 3 major
distro's that do this: Progeny, Libranet (both Debian based) and
Connectiva (brazilian, Red Hat based). I've heard rumours of Mandrake
starting the same. You can of course add third party sources to apt, but
this *will* bring down the reliability of the dependency tracking (ask
any Debian user about Ximian Gnome)

Long post this, but I hope it helps you some.

Mart

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 15:04:22 +0200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Mart van de
Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> And secondly, apt is not very good at installing individually downloaded
> packages, it relies on someone else to set up a well integrated archive,
> so that it can satisfy dependencies. So if your distributor doesn't
> provide you with that you're SOL. At the moment there are AFAIK 3 major
> distro's that do this: Progeny, Libranet (both Debian based) and
> Connectiva (brazilian, Red Hat based). I've heard rumours of Mandrake
> starting the same. You can of course add third party sources to apt, but
> this *will* bring down the reliability of the dependency tracking (ask
> any Debian user about Ximian Gnome)
>
> Long post this, but I hope it helps you some.
>
> Mart

D'oh! I forgot Debian of course! The primary example on how to build a
good software archive. the main reason why people love apt, is because
the Debian project set the standard on how to build and maintain a
reliable archive for apt.

Mart

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is paralysed before it even starts
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 01:06:28 +1200

THE OFFICIAL WINTROL SONG (To the melody of "I'm a lumber Jack and I'm OK
(Monty Python))

Chorus: I'm a wintrol and I'm Ok, I wank all night and I post all day,
Chorus Echo: He's a wintrol and He's Ok, he wank's all night and he posts
all day

My computer crashes, I then reboot, and I go to get a coffee, on
wednesday's I download patches and reboot again and again

Response: his computer crashes, he then reboots, and he goes to get a
coffee, on wednesday's he download's patches and reboot again and again

Chorus: I'm a wintrol and I'm Ok, I wank all night and I post all day
Chorus Echo: He's a wintrol and He's Ok, he wank's all night and he posts
all day

I download patches, I post some FUD, I like to whine about Linux, I install
Linux on a partition and then start to like it

Response: he downloads patches, he post's some FUD, he likes to whine about
Linux, he installs Linux on a partition and then start to like it???????

Chorus: I'm a wintrol and I'm Ok, I wank all night and I post all day
Chorus Echo: He's a wintrol and He's Ok, he wank's all night and he posts
all day

I download Linux, and then I burn CD, then I reboot to install it, I wished
I had installed it since Linux is right on par!

he downloads Linux, and then hes burn a cd??? then he reboots to install
it??? he wished he had installed it since Linux is right on par????

<--- Music stops, nerdy comments in the back ground.

Chorus Echo: He's a wintrol and He's Ok, he wank's all night and he posts
all day <-- x2

Wanks all night and he post FUD all day!