("Matthew Gardiner")

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 00:58:09 -0400

Chad Myers wrote:

> "David Steinberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9eect7$nun$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Chad Myers ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> >
> > : I though you guys hated the mousy-clicky stuff?
> >
> > When will you learn, Chad?  There is no "you guys."  Linux users are
> > best defined by their diversity.  What I like, another user may
> > despise.  From more or less the same large set of packages that are
> > collectively called a Linux system (or, to make RMS happy, a GNU/Linux
> > system), we are all able to pick, choose, and configure to create the
> > desktop or server environment in which we are most comfortable.
> >
> > Those who cannot handle such choice simply accept whatever Microsoft says
> > is the only way to do things this week.
>
> You mean, those who want some semblance of choice AND still have their
> OS work, use Windows. If you want lots of choice, but many bugs, crashes
> and UI oddities and flakiness, use GNU/Linux.

The bugs, crashes, and UI oddities are Mafia$ofts claim to fame.

> -c

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 00:59:18 -0400

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:3b0acee0$0$2605$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > "Donn Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> KICKS
> > >
> > > You mean you lose your internet connection whenever you log out? It's
> > > the way you have KDE set up that is at fault, because kppp is exiting
> > > when you logout.  But you should be able to login to your provider with
> > > a command-line equivalent of ppp, so that your internet connection will
> > > stay up once you start it, no matter who logs in or out.
> >
> > No, above he said that Mandrake DID keep the connection OPEN, and
> > existing Windows did not.
> >
> > Windows XP DOES keep it open now as well.
>
> Solaris has had that feature, well, since I sarted using it, version 2.6

ALL of of the Unix world has had such features ever since networking was
first implemented in Unix.

> Matthew Gardiner

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust!
Date: 23 May 2001 04:56:41 GMT

On 22 May 2001 19:15:32 -0500,
 Jan Johanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Fred K Ollinger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9eejc5$ctu$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Where do I download a copy of win xp?
Sadly this may be Ms's last publicly available 'piratable OS', as
home piracy now offends Ms's palate.

www.debian.org

> nowhere...
Wrong!

I d/l'd the base Debian floppies from www.debian.org (about 12),
installed the base system, and then wished I'd had a T1 connection.

If I had, the Linux install would have been done in about 20
minutes or less!

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 01:00:25 -0400

http://www.redhat.com/ does not have a copy of LoseXP
http://www.suse.com/ does not have a copy of LoseXP

> nowhere...

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 01:02:35 -0400

Interconnect wrote:

> <snip>
> > Well, it's a myth that easy to use mean flat learning curve.
> <snip>
>
> That's all I wanted to point out. Reading Winvocates talk about ease of use,
> sometimes leaves me with the impression that they  believe using Microsoft
> products is NO effort at all or the level of effort required is so small
> that it hardly warrants a mention.
>
> In actual fact to become competent and productive with Microsoft products
> can take just as much effort as using Linux products.

Actually, it takes a hell of a lot more, becuase with most Microsoft
products, there is no ability to use scripts written by others.

In Linux land, difficult things can be figured out by experts, put
into shell scripts, and IMMEDIATELY be used by the typical user.

> I also believe that an unbiased assessment of Linux will show that it is
> clearly moving toward a more user friendly environment ( this benefits the
> technical user also) and still retaining all the abilty to use CLI utilities
> and applications that many people have grown to love and enjoy as well as
> extremely powerful and useful.
>
> Regards MSDN. My apologies I was under the impression MSDN was a fee based
> service. I recall trying to dig up some info on IIS, asp and ServerScripting
> from a MS site and being asked to cough up some money for information.
> Obviously I had the wrong site in mind.
>
> There no mention of the M word this time :D

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: W2K/IIS proves itself over Linux/Tux
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 05:03:58 GMT

"Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:3b0b0337$0$56149$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> rebooted

> > wasted
> at:
> > >
> > > Given that the latest (and all future) security patches are now all
> > > encompusing (includes all previous from last SP) I think we'll see
less
> of
> > > the hofix chasing going on.
> >
> > We've all heard that story before.  It must be your lack of experience
> > that makes you naive enough to believe it.   It was sp6 for NT before
> > I could keep servers running for longer than a couple of weeks.   I look
> > for more of the same this time around too.
>
> SP4 and we never had reason to reboot unexpectedly. SP5 and SP6(a) were
fit
> & finish patches.

You were just lucky again in using only applications that worked around
the OS bugs then.   One of our in-house apps regularly locked up NT
completely (a Dr. Watson dialog would pop up but the network would
be dead and sometimes the keyboard as well) so you physically had to
reboot to recover, until sp6a finally fixed it.   Yes, our app probably
has a bug but it is the job of an OS to keep working anyway as unix
systems do.

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 05:03:58 GMT

"Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9ecnuh$8j5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:ZSkO6.3712$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>

> > How do you diagnose things that might involve concurrent thread
> > operations?   I've never needed to do that under unix.
>
> You debug, of course.
>
> You never need to do that on Unix because it has lousy thread support.

It would be more accurate to say that it has such efficient process support
that you seldom have to deal with the problems peculiar to threads.

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 05:03:58 GMT

"Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9eco6k$8o9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > How much?
> >
> > How much should it take?  I'm used to systems that work consistently.
>
> Until you can repreduce the error?
> Have you never participated in bug hunting before?

Not in threaded programs, and especially not in threaded programs
that are supplied with the OS and without source.

> > > You say that sometimes they work, sometimes they fail.
> > > Meaning that you didn't gave the pages enough testing.
> >
> > Actually it is entirely possible that the production servers are
> > getting requests that no one anticipated.    I know from the logs
> > (and some odd bugs) on the previous incarnation that users
> > edit the arguments in the URLs and send requests no one
> > ever thought to test.   However these should mostly be passed
> > on to the xml data servers which should either serve the
> > request or not.
>
> No, they are not.
> There shouldn't *be* an unexpected value, period.

Perhaps you don't understand the concept of http... You get whatever
the user sends in the URL.

> The easiest way to do it is to define the values that you will accept, and
> throwing away all the rest.

We accept string values.

> Yes, it's boring and slow the code, but so is checking a pointer's value
> after malloc().

One string value should mean the same as another to malloc().

> > > Where would you complain? In an advocacy group?
> >
> > I'd send email to the author of the program as the first choice since
> > he is likely the only one who can fix it, but I would also certainly
> > mention it in any advocacy group where others were claiming
> > the opposite.  People deserve to know what to expect when they
> > put something in production.
>
> So, did you turned to MS?

Yes, we wasted some time and money there.   We can't cause the
problem to happen on demand and the thing that causes it causes
logging to fail.

> What if the author didn't reply? Would you then go to advocacy group, or
> turn to the group that *specialize* in this product?

I'd use dejanews and list archives to see if anyone else had solved the
problem.
The point of advocacy groups is to compare how different things work.
Apache
runs for months at a time without looking at it.  IIS crashes and waits for
someone to click a button a couple of times a day.   Guess which I like
better.

> > > BTW, you can crash a program using documented methods too, if you feed
> the
> > > wrong parameters to them.
> >
> > The parameters here are URL's and filenames for the xml and xsl data.
> > Those shouldn't be able to crash anything even if they are wrong.
>
> Post this to non-avocacy group, show some code and detail the
configuration,
> so they'll know what is going on.
> And prefer some clearer explanation about it than "sometimes IIS crash
when
> I'm doing XML work"

If I knew any more than that I might be able to fix it myself.   I have asp
code that is straight out the documentation examples.

> wrote) -

> > > From your description, it looks like you are having memory access
> errors.
> >
> > The developers here say that is a typical symptom of thread conflicts
> > corrupting memory.    That is, the reported error is probably a result
> > of  trying to interpret variables that have been corrupted earlier.
>
> Whatever, I don't use this DLL, so I can't help you.
> Again, the place to get help is *not* here.

OK, it is the place to advocate.  I advocate using something that
doesn't have these problems.

> > (1 - the xslt transform where xsl source will be a file, xmlsource a
URL)
> > Function transformXML (XSLSource, XMLSource)
> >         Set XMLFile =
> Server.CreateObject("Msxml2.FreeThreadedDOMDocument")
> >         Set XSLFile =
> Server.CreateObject("Msxml2.FreeThreadedDOMDocument")
> >         XMLFile.async = False
> >         XMLFile.load(XMLSource)
> >         XSLFile.async = False
> >         XSLFile.load(XSLSource)
> >         transformXML = XMLFile.transformNode(XSLFile)
> >         set XMLFile = nothing
> >         set XSLFile = nothing
> > End Function
>

> Apperantly you are using VBScript to do this, bad idea. VBS is not ideal
> language for a lot of things except for ease-of-learning.

It is what the documentation for the dll uses for the examples, and there
is next to nothing but creating an object and using it's methods so I
don't see why the calling language would make much difference.  I
started to use perlscript for parts of the pages but found that ASP
doesn't render the page in the order it is written if you mix languages.

> > (2 - an http proxy-passthough )
> > Function displaypage(url)
> >  Dim html, url
> >  Set aRequest = Server.CreateObject("Msxml2.ServerXMLHTTP")
> >  aRequest.Open "GET", url, False
> >  aRequest.Send
> >  Response.Write aRequest.responseText
> >  Set aRequest = Nothing
> > End Function
>
> That code doesn't make sense, you should use Response.Redirect, or
> Server.Execute/some other propety which I've forgotten (if it lets you do
> stuff beyond the current server).

Those only deal with whole pages.

> Why are you doing it this way?

I want to embed things from my old/reliable servers inside the asp
generated pages.   Some things would just be just too painful to
rewrite in vbscript...   This method allows several chunks to be
pulled from other servers and place in the same page.

> > I tried dejanews when I first saw the problem and found a bunch
> > of other xml related problems and very few answers.   The
> > msxml3.dll had not been released long at that point, though.  I
> > suppose I should try again.
>
> I searched for messages from you regarding this, I couldn't find any.
> Don't search for a solution, post the question, you are likely to get a
good
> answer.

Usually I've found that if a solution hasn't been posted already it
doesn't exist.   Besides, I don't really know how to describe the
problem other than having a 'memory cannot be read' dialog box
pop up.   The system doesn't give the slightest hint about what
caused it or what it really means.  I'm just guessing that the xml
dll is involved at all.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 01:04:35 -0400

John Wiltshire wrote:

> On Tue, 22 May 2001 14:09:25 -0400, "JS \\ PL"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >I even
> >liked the fact that it stayed connected to the Internet when switching users
> >(unlike Win2K)
>
> [snip]
>
> >Internet connection stays when switching users!
>
> Umm...  This ability has been there since NT 3.51.
>
> Fire up your registry editor and add the following REG_SZ:
>
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\
>         Winlogon\KeepRasConnection = 1

So much for 'ease of use'

Exactly how many LoseDOS newbies fire up the registry editor?

...how many of them even know where to FIND the goddamned thing?

> (line broken for readability)
>
> Documentation has been there for a while if you cared to read it.
>
> John Wiltshire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 17:05:40 +1200

> > > Windows XP DOES keep it open now as well.
> >
> > Solaris has had that feature, well, since I sarted using it, version 2.6
> >

> ALL of of the Unix world has had such features ever since networking was
> first implemented in Unix.

In other words, UNIX is network native.

Matthew Gardiner