From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Argh - Ballmer
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 01:10:25 -0700

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> [...]
> >"pip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> What is so irrational about wanting tax funded software research to be
> >> available to the whole community ? The fact is the the GPL does not
> >> prevent companies making money off of it. It ONLY stipulates that those
> >> companies can't keep their source code extensions closed to *IT'S*
> >> customers.
> >>
> >> Therefore, if you license under the GPL, the IP and implementation of
> >> the research becomes transparent. The likes of M$, who can afford to do
> >> so, should make a clean room implementation using just the ideas. Then
> >> they are free to do whatever they like. I find this perfectly rational.
> >> Why should some large company get a free product which they can simply
> >> add eye candy and sell (while closing the source for their users)?
> >
> >Okay, let's start with the rationality question. Charlie alleges that
> >Microsoft copyrights public domain code, removes it from the public domain,
> >and then makes money on it. He says that it's been proven that public domain
> >code has been copyrighted by commercial companies, who then forbid its use
> >by anyone else. Then, he reasons that Microsoft must be trying to steal GPL
> >code, because otherwise they wouldn't have any problems with GPL. Finally,
> >he finishes off by calling me names.
> >
> >These are not rational thoughts, and the foul language and incoherent filler
> >doesn't add anything.
> >
> >Now, on to your arguments.
> >
> >Yes, the issue with GPL seems to center around its effect on the programs
> >that it's integrated with. The fear that many companies have is that if they
> >use GPL code anywhere in their product, that it could potentially expose
> >them to loss of their product. Effectively, that makes GPL code unusable by
> >any company, large or small, that markets a proprietary product.
> >
> >You argue that Microsoft, as a large company, should be forced to do a clean
> >room implementation of GPL code. The implication is that small companies
> >shouldn't have to, but GPL makes no such distinction. I'd argue that small
> >companies need protection for their intellectual property far more than
> >large companies do, yet they are potentially exposed to the most risk by
> >GPL.
> >
> >My argument is that the results of government funded research should not be
> >made available based on whether a company is public or private, or what
> >their business model is. Everyone gets to share in the benefit, like it or
> >not.
> >
> >One last point, that everyone seems to be missing. Microsoft isn't making
> >these arguments about GPL for any altruistic reason, or because they're
> >worried about their own code base. This being cola, though, it's doubtful
> >whether anyone here realizes what Microsoft's strategy is. Do you?
> >
> >-- Mike --
> >

> Mike you blockheaded dipshit!
>
> They have already admitted they use BSD code in the OS.

When I purchased VC++6.0, I looked around the include files section and
found an OpenGL subdirectory... I looked there and found a few header
files for OpenGL... guess what?
The files are copyrighted by SGI!  No other mention of rights or
licenses that I could find anywhere.

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows makes good coasters
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 10:20:04 +0100

> MS Paint is free too...

Not to mention over priced.

-Ed

--
(You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)               (u98ejr)(@)(ecs.ox)(.ac.uk)

/d{def}def/f{/Times-Roman findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5 -1
r 230 350 moveto 0 1 179{2 1 r dup show 2 1 r 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s 15
d f pop 240 420 moveto 0 1 3 {4 2 1 r sub -1 r show}for showpage

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Shared library hell
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 04:15:15 -0400

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Sat, 05 May 2001 20:40:40 GMT
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >Linux doesn't cope with this at all.
>
> Correct, it does not.  However, it normally doesn't need to.
> And you've neglected the interesting issue regarding Microsoft's
> dealing with the issue -- which is, BTW, abysmal.  Linux's,
> by contrast, is merely bad and industry standard -- and with
> proper building of apps (I'd have to look), may be a non-problem.
> Mind you, not a lot of developers are going to use the form
>
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6.1
>
> as opposed to -lX11, nor is it clear to me that -lX11 will
> hardwire the version or not, absent additional options
> (ldd suggests it uses the major version only).  This is one
> reasons open source is having problems as it appears to be
> misusing the version numbers, in this case.  Beat on Troll Tech;
> it's their fault! :-)
>
> (Most likely, they merely backrevved the compiler.
> RH7.0 screwed up a lot of things.  Therefore, this bug is
> mostly harmless -- although I can't say anything
> regarding the gcc incompatibilities, and it is possible that
> this will bite, and bite hard.)
>

> >How many times have you tried to rpm a package only to be told you
> >need a certain version of some library?
>
> Personally, I find dselect much more user-friendly in that respect.
> It will not only warn that it needs additional packages, but will
> even allow the deinstallation of conflicting packages (user-specified,
> of course) and tries its level best not to end up with a
> conflicting system.
>

> >That's all fine and dandy if you are down level, but why does it
> >complain when you have a later version?
> >
> >Linux is a mess....
>
> Microsoft is a disaster area.

Specifically, Pompeii

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 04:16:13 -0400

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Sat, 05 May 2001 20:40:40 GMT
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >Linux doesn't cope with this at all.
>
> Correct, it does not.  However, it normally doesn't need to.
> And you've neglected the interesting issue regarding Microsoft's
> dealing with the issue -- which is, BTW, abysmal.  Linux's,
> by contrast, is merely bad and industry standard -- and with
> proper building of apps (I'd have to look), may be a non-problem.
> Mind you, not a lot of developers are going to use the form
>
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6.1
>
> as opposed to -lX11, nor is it clear to me that -lX11 will
> hardwire the version or not, absent additional options
> (ldd suggests it uses the major version only).  This is one
> reasons open source is having problems as it appears to be
> misusing the version numbers, in this case.  Beat on Troll Tech;
> it's their fault! :-)
>
> (Most likely, they merely backrevved the compiler.
> RH7.0 screwed up a lot of things.  Therefore, this bug is
> mostly harmless -- although I can't say anything
> regarding the gcc incompatibilities, and it is possible that
> this will bite, and bite hard.)
>

> >How many times have you tried to rpm a package only to be told you
> >need a certain version of some library?
>
> Personally, I find dselect much more user-friendly in that respect.
> It will not only warn that it needs additional packages, but will
> even allow the deinstallation of conflicting packages (user-specified,
> of course) and tries its level best not to end up with a
> conflicting system.
>

> >That's all fine and dandy if you are down level, but why does it
> >complain when you have a later version?
> >
> >Linux is a mess....
>
> Microsoft is a disaster area.

Sodam and Gomorrha.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 01:17:52 -0700

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "Dave Martel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Sun, 3 Jun 2001 05:24:26 +0200, "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Therefor, if BSD shipped GPL applications with their distribution, they
> > >would have to make the whole thing GPL.
> >
> > Beg to disagree. FreeBSD comes with almost as many GPL'd applications
> > as Slackware. The commercial version of SuSE linux ships with both
> > proprietary and GPL'd applications.
>
> Yes, sorry.
> I read the GPL license and saw that you must make the whole work GPL if it
> distribued by the same means.
> I checked the GPL-FAQ, and it seems that you have to make the whole work
> GPLed if they are the same program only.

All well and swell, but which organization or body is going to enforce
any violations of the GPL?  As far as I can tell there are a few
businesses out there selling GPLed code without any mention of it as
being GPLed.  Cygnus comes to mind.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 04:21:22 -0400

David Fox wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Michael Vester wrote:

> > > I find myself in the same situation. Despite my pro Linux stance and lack
> > > of any respect for losedos, my friends and relatives call me for help.
> > > Many times, the solution is a reinstall or even a format and reinstall. I
> > > have done more losedos installs than I can remember. I should get an
> >
> > Maybe you should install RedHat instead
>
> I took this route with my wife, but the fact is that while installing
> any operating system can be difficult, actually USING windows is, on
> the balance, a lot easier than using Linux.

5 years ago, yes.
Today, No.

In fact, because Linux has much LESS idiosyncratic behavior than
does Windows, it is much EASIER to use.

This does not mean that there is no training-up period to go from
Windows to Linux...but it is MUCH shorter than you would believe.

>                                              For example, there is a
> lot of handholding when it comes to typesetting chinese characters in
> LaTeX.

Once you learn how to do this, exactly how many times will you need
to re-learn it.

Shallow, low-maximum learning curves are NOT all that Mafia$oft makes
them out to be.

>         I imaging the Microsoft equivalent would be considerably
            ^^^^^^^

You imagine...so, in other words, you really don't even fucking know, do you.

> easier.  Viewing faxes has always been problematic under Linux, and so
> on.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is shit
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 10:18:12 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "drsquare"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It really is. I'm sticking to windows. You can't even install a printer
> for christs sake.

Somehow I knew you and windows would be a perfect match. When are you
moving to AOL?

-Ed

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 01:21:24 -0700

Ray Chason wrote:

> "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Beside, GPL is enforced via copyright, and the US goverment is not allowed
> >to have copyright.
>
> Not quite true.  The US government can acquire copyrights originally
> issued to others, but works created by the government itself are
> public domain.
>
> Alas www.law.cornell.edu isn't taking connections at this moment, so
> I can't give you a cite.
>
> --
>  --------------===============<[ Ray Chason ]>===============--------------
>          PGP public key at http://www.smart.net/~rchason/pubkey.asc
>                             Delenda est Windoze

You are quite correct on this one Ray.  I got screwed on my software
that I developed for automated test engineering. GenRad took it for free
to incorporate it into their next release of Genesis.  It helped them
jack up the price from $350k to $1.5M.
It really made me sick when I found out about it.  My supervisor came
over and told me to write a tape on the VAX and send it to them...
Public Domain! :-(

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 01:23:22 -0700

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <F2%R6.16166$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Mike
> wrote:
> > >I think Ballmer has a point. It seems evident to me that if government
> funds
> > >are used to support software research, the results of that research
> should
> > >be, in most cases, public domain. Ballmer's contention is that the GNU
> > >license restricts the use of software, so GNU software isn't really
> public
> > >domain.
> >
> > Incorrect.  The GPL license is the ONLY license which should be used
> > on all government projects.  We don't pay GOD DAMN TAX DOLLARS just
> > so companies like MICROSOFT CAN POCKET THE DEVELOPMENT MONEY AND
> > COPYRIGHT IT FOR THEIR OWN PROFITS.
>
> Charlie.  Grow a brain.  It's not just Microsoft that can't use GPL'd
> software.  Projects like FreeBSD can't use it either, nor OpenBSD, or NetBSD
> or even the X11 Projects.
>
> Government funded research should be useable by all US citizens.  Period.

Nice idealistic thought, unless the research is classified.  That is the
only way to keep researched software out of citizens hands.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,misc.invest.stocks
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 04:24:01 -0400

Michael Vester wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > Michael Vester wrote:

> > > I find myself in the same situation. Despite my pro Linux stance and lack
> > > of any respect for losedos, my friends and relatives call me for help.
> > > Many times, the solution is a reinstall or even a format and reinstall. I
> > > have done more losedos installs than I can remember. I should get an
> >
> > Maybe you should install RedHat instead
> >
> > "Say...what if I could get you out of this mess...FOREVER.
> > I'll give you something that you can play around with for a week.
> > And if you like it, you can upgrade off the net for FREE..FOREVER."
> >
> I am going to start offering my friends and family a choice, Linux or find
> help elsewhere.  The owner of the consulting firm that I sometimes work
> from, is my next project. His losedos 98 systems are starting to show
> signs of losedos rot.  I won't reinstall, I will solve his problem
> permanently with Linux.

In that case, I would set up VMWare, so that his "no equivalent business apps"
are still available until he can replace them.

Then...since he will be running LoseDOS far less...the bitrot will be
slower...AND...he will have fewer critical functions on it....thus, when
the LoseDOS installation dies again...he will STILL be able to do the
majority of his work under Linux.

For example, he MIGHT have an accounting package that can't be
converted overnight.

> > > honorary MSCE.  My Linux advocacy is starting to pay off. My father is now
> > > a very happy Red Hat Linux user. I can easily support him with ssh.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Michael Vester
> > > A credible Linux advocate
> > >
> > > "The avalanche has started, it is
> > > too late for the pebbles to vote"
> > > Kosh, Vorlon Ambassador to Babylon 5
> >
> > --
> > Aaron R. Kulkis
> > Unix Systems Engineer

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Very interesting cracker article, and XP warning.
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 10:25:04 +0100

>> So now, they're damned if they do, damned if they don't.
>
> Now? It has always been this way. Check bundled software arguements.
>
> Argument A: Windows come with very few programs.
> Argument B: Windows bundle software an hinder competition.

It may be that A and B are true. If MS bundle software with windows, it
hinders competition since they only bundle MS ware and hope that people
won't go elsewhere to get another brand of sotware. Would windows ever be
bundled with wordperfect?

Also Windows install is a pain since you need millions of CDs.

With Linux the included software will often include several directly
competing products, thus not killing competition.

-Ed

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 01:25:30 -0700

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Mike wrote:
>

> > > So, the question is, why shouldn't government funded software
> development be
> > > public domain?
> > >
> > > -- Mike --
> >
> > It would be nice idealistically to do this, but in reality MS would
> > incorporate the code and make a few changes and then declare it
> > proprietary.
>
> So?
> That doesn't affect the original code *at all*.
> *You* can do the same.
> You can even release it under the GPL.
>
> The point of Public Domain is that anyone can do anything to it, period.
>
> Why would you want to block code from use?

To make a profit, of course.

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The _one_ thing that pisses me off about Linux
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 10:31:31 +0100

>>> whole story of CPU porting problems, but then I know sod-all about the
>>>  problems of different size integers from platform to platform.
>>
>>Assembler is by no means the only problem.
>>
>>There are a whole host of problems, such as making false assumptions
>>about the sizeof an integer and char.
>>
>>sizeof(char)==1 by definition
>>
>>and CHAR_BITS >= 8
>>
>>and CHAR_MAX <=SHORT_MAX <=INT_MAX <=LONG_MAX <=LONG_LONG_MAX  (now in
>>C99)
>>
>>however, it is possible to have a stadards conforming compiler, where
>>sizeof(long long)==1 (CRAY had one, for instance and many DSP processors
>>have them as well).
>
> That would be an awful big char. :-)

Yep. CRAY introduced a 1 byte char later on to save sapce in memory. I
think a 64 bit char is enough to describe all the alphabets in the
universe, never mind the world.

>>I think quite a few programs assume that CHAR_MAX == 255 and will break
>>if otherwise.
>>

>>Another problem is the endianness, for instance
>>
>>a<<1 is *2 on one platform and /2 on another platform.
>
> ??

I have a memory of >> going in different dierctions because of endianess,
but it is an old (mabey incorrect) memory, and/or compiler.

 <snip>

> Some very old machines might do peculiar things with negative numbers
> and shifting, though, if they use one's complement arithmetic. AFAIK, no
> modern machine does this, although the MiX emulator (Knuth) uses
> undefined arithmetic means (presumably at the time of its design, some
> machines were still using BCD) and therefore a<<1 on MiX will not
> produce a useful result, arithmetically speaking.

Useless nuggetlet: the 6502 processor can perfrom in both BCD and binary
mode. I never really found a use for BCD mode.