Linux-Advocacy Digest #56, Volume #35             Fri, 8 Jun 01 15:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop ("Laura M. Hagan")
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop ("Laura M. Hagan")
  So what software is the NYSE running ? ([EMAIL PROTECTED]  dripot)
  Re: IBM Goes Gay (drsquare)
  Re: IBM Goes Gay (drsquare)
  Re: IBM Goes Gay (drsquare)
  Re: Laugh, it's hilarious. (drsquare)
  Re: Laugh, it's hilarious. (drsquare)
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop (drsquare)
  Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU! (drsquare)
  Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU! (drsquare)
  Re: Linux dead on the desktop. (drsquare)
  Re: UI Importance (drsquare)
  Re: UI Importance (drsquare)
  Re: UI Importance (drsquare)
  Re: UI Importance (drsquare)
  Re: UI Importance (drsquare)
  Re: UI Importance (drsquare)
  Re: Why homosexuals are a threat to heterosexuals (drsquare)
  Re: Why homosexuals are a threat to heterosexuals (drsquare)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux  starts    getting
good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) (drsquare)
  Re: What Microsoft's CEO should do (drsquare)
  Re: LINUX PRINTING SUCKS!!!!!!!! (drsquare)
  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals (drsquare)
  Re: Windows makes good coasters (Chad Everett)
  Re: IBM Goes Gay
  Re: UI Importance (Macman)
  Re: IBM Goes Gay (.)

From: "Laura M. Hagan" <doesn'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 10:02:39 -0700

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> The right to swing your arms ends where my nose begins.
>
> The right to collect and trade deadly, communicable diseases ends
> where MY health begins.

    So, as I said before, Kulkis, you're in favor of women all becoming
lesbians?  Since heterosexual sex transmits disease, after all, and
lesbian sex has the lowest disease transmission rate.  Doesn't that
make sense?

------------------------------

From: "Laura M. Hagan" <doesn'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 10:03:40 -0700

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> There are three types of homosexuals:
>
> a) those who have AIDS
> b) those who will get AIDS
> c) those who will get die before they get a chance to get AIDS.

    d) Lesbians, who have a lower chance of getting AIDS than
do either male or female heterosexuals.
    Idiot.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  dripot
Subject: So what software is the NYSE running ?
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 18:28:50 GMT

What's the skinny ?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IBM Goes Gay
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 19:47:08 +0100

On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 01:57:55 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Michael Vester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>Edward Rosten wrote:
>>
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "flatfish+++"
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > Only God almighty has the power to judge and his judgement is swift and
>> > fast.
>> >
>> > flatfish+++
>> > "Why do they call it a flatfish?"
>>
>> Shame there isn't a "thou shalt not troll" commandment :-)
>
>How about "Thou shalt not bear false witness." According to most Christian
>theological view points, I know they are wide and varied, Flatfish is
>going to hell.

Nah, there's a loophole in Christianity meaning you can do what you
like then repent on your death bed, and still get into heaven.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 19:47:11 +0100

On 8 Jun 2001 15:45:34 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)) wrote:

>>> I might have.  I hate the english.
>>>
>>> -----.
>
>> Racism is comtemptible.
>
>Hating the english isnt racism, its nationalism.

Nearly the same thing.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 19:47:12 +0100

On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 15:54:56 +0100, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>>> Didn't you call someone a limey in a recent post? I suppose that's not
>>> as bad as being a homophobe, although I'm not sure why.
>>
>> I might have.  I hate the english.

>Racism is comtemptible.

Leave him alone, it's just a cry for attention.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Laugh, it's hilarious.
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 19:47:13 +0100

On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 03:14:47 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Michael Vester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

>> Typical LoseDOS lusers.
>>
>During my past life as tech support, I responded to calls like "My
>computer won't work!!!" Upon arrival, I turn on the monitor. Or sometimes
>the box itself needs to be turned on.  The "typical" user appears unable
>to learn anything. I have discovered a pretty good test for the "special
>needs" user.
>
>Many years ago, I taught computer classes all about dos. Windows was not
>on the horizon then.  The biggest hurdle hurdle was the directories. Md,
>cd and rd were the hardest concepts. I tried analogies like file folders
>in a filing cabinet.  I even brought paper files, file folders and a
>cabinet to demonstrate what the computer was doing.  Still, despite my
>most valiant attempts, half the class could not understand.  The other
>half were angry because the class was being held up.

How can anyone noe understand directories? I could understand them
when I was 7. God help them if they ever need to learn about
double-linked lists or bitwise operations.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 19:47:14 +0100

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001 20:21:27 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"Michael Vester" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> Even in a GUI environment, understanding the concept of directories is
>> still baffling for many users.  I can quickly judge a user's technical
>> competence just by looking at the way they store their data files. When I
>> see 500 data files in the root, I know that I am dealing with a "special
>> needs" user. If I see data files neatly organized in a well thought out
>> hierarchy, I know this user is comfortable with the technology and when
>> they request tech support, it will be a real problem. They won't call tech
>> support to turn on their computer.
>

>I *just* had to explain this to someone, he is training to be a PC Mechanic
>(have no idea about the correct term in English. Basically, the guy that
>work at help-desk, OEMs, tech-support, come and fix computers, etc.)
>They are just starting, and he (following the orders) tries to get the
>described file layout on the disk.
>He couldn't distingish betweena  folder and a file even *after* I spent 15
>minutes explaining it to him.
>I'm not *that* bad in explaining stuff, I think.
>
>The scary thing is that another person in the same class came in and while
>he had a better understanding, he still had trouble getting this concept.

Fucking hell. People are thicker than I first thought.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 19:47:15 +0100

On 8 Jun 2001 16:50:46 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)) wrote:

>In comp.os.linux.advocacy Stephen Cornell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Think about it: given a member of any group (homosexuals, republicans,
>> englishmen, whatever) and any property P (contracting AIDS, not having a
>> brain, being useless tossers) it is a logical trueism that they will
>> fall into one of the following three categories:
>
>> a) they have in the past had P
>> b) they will at some point in the future have P
>> c) They will never have P
>
>Hah.  Alright, true enough.  I didnt see this bent syllogism inside
>aaron's argument because of my raging desposition.  Lesson learned.  :)
>
>> Of course, Kulkis got this structure a bit wrong, because there is a
>> possibility that someone gets a _chance_ to catch AIDS, but not
>> actually _catch_ it.  Still, this is the closest thing to a factually
>> correct posting I've seen from this source.
>
>Agreed.  Thankfully, his argument also applies to himself.

And every person or thing everywhere, about every subject. That has to
be one of the stupidest things Aaron's ever said. It's a shame I
didn't archive it.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 19:47:16 +0100

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001 08:49:47 -0500, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >Caldera has it all set up to work via a loadable module.  I use scsi
>> >emulation to run my IDE tape drive.  I did not have to recompile my
>> >kernel to do so.
>> >
>> >The only reason there is no DVD support on Linux is that nobody is
>> >selling it, nothing to do with the OS itself.  It is apparently
>> >impossible to make an open-source player without getting sued.
>>
>> Since when does it have to be open source?
>
>Because Penguinistas live in a world where everything should be free
>and everyone's happy and roses grow everywhere =)

What the fuck is a "Penguinista"?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 19:47:17 +0100

On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 15:13:22 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)) wrote:

>On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 02:58:31 +0100, drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 20:13:03 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>>  ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)) wrote:
>
>> >The only reason there is no DVD support on Linux is that nobody is
>> >selling it, nothing to do with the OS itself.  It is apparently
>> >impossible to make an open-source player without getting sued.
>
>> Since when does it have to be open source?
>
>It doesn't, but nobody is making a commercial one either.

Why not?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 19:47:18 +0100

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001 10:02:47 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("JS \\ PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:3o4U6.30692$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > Now I need a MONSTER, state of the art, 233mhz processor (actually I'm
>> > currently running XP beta on a 233 w/ 60mb EDO RAM and it runs fine)
>>
>> Ah, so you were intentionally being dishonest about the RAM cost.
>
>Yes I'm being dishonest, RAM cost is actually zero because it runs fine on
>my present 60MB.

How many computers nowadays have that amount of RAM? And I'm not just
taking your word that it works find on 60MB.

>> Try again with the real cost to add some EDO RAM to that machine
>> and tell us how long it takes you to get it working with that 80
>> gig drive you mentioned.
>
>No more time than it took to get working with the 8 gb HD it's currently on.

I doubt you can get a 8GB HD for the $2.60 you quoted before.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: UI Importance
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 19:47:19 +0100

On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 14:07:42 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Macman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >You can do a lot from the CLI.
>> >You just nead to delve into it and learn.
>>
>> Edit the registry? Install/remove windows components? Even some things
>> you can do with the CLI you can't do without the GUI loaded as well.
>
>Not quite true -- at least fo editing the registry.
>
>It's possible to edit the registry from DOS -- at least in Win98 and
>presumably WinME. I don't know about Win2K or XP, though.

You can edit the registry for DOS? How? And the regedit exporting
thing doesn't count, as that is an absolute arse. Also, can I install
hardware, uninstall programs etc?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 19:47:20 +0100

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001 17:12:23 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
>> Suppose I wanted to set a -r parameter to a command. How would I go
>> about doing that? Take your time.
>
>From a shortcut?
>Propeties>Shortcut> Target, add the -r parameter in the end of the file
>path, with a space before it.
>Apply or OK will do the trick then.

Er, I imagine it would be a bit of an arse to do that everytime I
wanted to specify an argument.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 19:47:21 +0100

On 8 Jun 2001 15:46:58 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)) wrote:

>>>Yes, actually you can, and theres a dozen different ways to do it
>>>IN EACH SHELL.
>>>
>>>It is becoming plain that you simply dont know anything about computers
>>>in general, let alone operating systems, let along linux.
>
>> OK then, please explain how it can be done.
>
>regex.

Please elaborate.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 19:47:22 +0100

On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 17:31:04 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine))
wrote:

>In comp.os.linux.advocacy, drsquare
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>>>But the syntax for these other shells is diferent then the curent
>>>Windows shell. If someone calls tech support and is told to type
>>>
>>>D:
>>>cd fubar
>>>copy widget.exe c:\fubar\widget.exe
>>>
>>>and the user is using TCSH, it wont work.
>>
>>The D: wouldn't work, but that's because of windows' fucked up file
>>system, but the "cd" and "copy" commands would still be in the path.
>
>Yes, but one is likely to get a file named
>
>'C:fubarwidget.exe'
>
>as TCSH eats the backslashes.

Well obviously it would have to be adapted to Windows' fucked up file
system.

>Or, it will simply put
>'fubarwidget.exe' somewhere on the C: drive -- I can't say
>precisely where as it depends on what directory is current on that
>drive (this is interesting behavior, but not all that useful).

It is a badly designed file system.

>(Pedant point: 'cd' is a shell builtin, for hopefully obvious reasons.
>I know of only one system where 'cd' was implemented as an executable
>(AmigaOS).)

cd is the same on the DOS prompt and in tcsh anyway.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 19:47:23 +0100

On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 17:33:03 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
wrote:

>In comp.os.linux.advocacy, drsquare
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>>>You can do a lot from the CLI.
>>>You just nead to delve into it and learn.
>>
>>Edit the registry? Install/remove windows components? Even some things
>>you can do with the CLI you can't do without the GUI loaded as well.
>
>No doubt somebody's written third-party tools to do simple things
>to the registry with command-line arguments.  Not sure if RegEDT32.EXE
>is among them -- REGEDT32 portrays itself in the usual GUI fashion,
>but might have command-line options.  However, I can't say I know
>offhand.

I have experimented with regedit on the command line, but it's a
complete arse.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 19:47:24 +0100

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001 20:53:05 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
>message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
>> No doubt somebody's written third-party tools to do simple things
>> to the registry with command-line arguments.  Not sure if RegEDT32.EXE
>> is among them -- REGEDT32 portrays itself in the usual GUI fashion,
>> but might have command-line options.  However, I can't say I know
>> offhand.
>

>Console Registry Tool for Windows - version 3.0
>Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1981-2001.  All rights reserved
>

>REG Operation [Parameter List]
>
>  Operation  [ QUERY   | ADD    | DELETE  | COPY    |
>               SAVE    | LOAD   | UNLOAD  | RESTORE |
>               COMPARE | EXPORT | IMPORT ]
>
>Return Code: (Except of REG COMPARE)
>
>  0 - Succussful
>  1 - Failed
>
>For help on a specific operation type:
>
>  REG Operation /?
>
>Examples:
>
>  REG QUERY /?
>  REG ADD /?
>  REG DELETE /?
>  REG COPY /?
>  REG SAVE /?
>  REG RESTORE /?
>  REG LOAD /?
>  REG UNLOAD /?
>  REG COMPARE /?
>  REG EXPORT /?
>  REG IMPORT /?

"Bad command or file name"

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are a threat to heterosexuals
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 19:47:25 +0100

On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 10:57:08 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"." wrote:

>> for absolutely no reason at all.
>
>Do you enjoy your constitutional freedoms?
>
>a) no
>B) YES
>
>If so, thank a soldier.

Why?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 19:47:26 +0100

On 8 Jun 2001 10:32:46 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ulysses)) wrote:

>The header says "Why homosexuals are a threat to heterosexuals" but I
>don't see anything in any of the posts which might answer that
>question, so I conclude the posters have nothing to back up their
>predjudices.

You'll have to ask Kuntis about that. He's the one with the unhealthy
paranoia of queers.

>In re: the poster who asks what one might do when "they teach
>alternative lifestyles to your kid", I have to say that since we all
>live "alternative lifestyles" in one way or another, I welcome the
>teaching of toleration and comradly feelings generally.
>
>In fact, the threat seems to be the folks who, for reasons I certainly
>don't understand, are terrified by folks with different gender roles
>than their own.

Such as Kuntis.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux  starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 19:47:27 +0100

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001 11:09:50 -0500, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >Why?  Because he actually feels that democracy and freedom are better
>> >than oppression of the individual and communism?
>>
>> No, because he feels that a negative view on patriotism equates to a
>> positive view on communism. And secondly because he has an irrational
>> paranoia of communism.
>
>Negative views on patriotism basically means that you feel that
>anyone who is proud of their country is "fucked up". Independent
>thought and views are being repressed. Sounds like Communism to me!

Please explain how having an opinion on patriotism is repressing other
peoples views? Sounds like idiocy to me!

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What Microsoft's CEO should do
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 19:47:28 +0100

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001 18:10:46 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ([EMAIL PROTECTED] ()) wrote:

>>>You're not understanding.  It doesn't matter if it ran in ring 0 or not, if
>>>the GUI crashes, so does the OS, even if it's not running in ring 0.
>>
>> That's the most stupid thing I've ever heard.
>
>It's amazing the lengths EF will go to to defend MS. Why he can't just agree
>that it is really stupid?

Because then he'd also be agreeing that he'd wasted thousands of
pounds on shite software.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LINUX PRINTING SUCKS!!!!!!!!
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 19:47:29 +0100

On 8 Jun 2001 16:21:34 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)) wrote:

>>>What do you prefer?
>
>> BITTER.
>
>What *kind* of bitter, you simpleton.

Any.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 19:47:30 +0100

On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 17:42:12 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
wrote:

>In comp.os.linux.advocacy, flatfish+++
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>>>Please could we end this OT debate here ?
>>
>>HITLER...
>>
>>How's that :)
>
>No, I think one has to accuse one's opponent of being a Nazi.... :-) :-)

OK then, Kuntis is a fucked up, bigoted, right-wing Nazi.

Is the thread now finished?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Subject: Re: Windows makes good coasters
Date: 8 Jun 2001 13:44:21 -0500

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001 11:08:02 -0500, Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Chris Ahlstrom
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>  wrote
>> on Wed, 09 May 2001 11:45:50 GMT
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>> >Steve Sheldon wrote:
>> >>
>> >[a lot of troll-shit snipped]
>> >
>> >Guys, Steve here is obviously trolling.

Of course, that is an outright lie.

>> >Just one example.
>>
>> X *does* crash routinely -- on dodgy hardware.  This no more
>> reflects on the goodness (or badness) of X's design, any more
>> than a failing fuel pump causing hesitations and stalls
>> reflects badly on the manufacturer of an automobile,
>> or its design thereof.
>>
>> Personally, I think X is a solid design, and it's network
>> transparent to boot.  I don't think there have been any
>> changes to X's protocol since X11 came out.  Additions,
>> yes -- but no changes.  X was even able to slip in the client-side
>> XImage stuff, somehow.
>>
>> Contrast that to 'LineToEx'.  Or is it 'MoveToEx'?  Strange that
>> Microsoft would have to release a new version of such a simple
>> graphics instruction.  And then there's 'MulDiv', which is in
>> a strange place last time I looked.
>>
>> While it is possible to make Windows network-transparent (by
>> replacing a DLL or two or dozen), as far as I can tell, it would not
>> be as clean a design.
>
>But it works, which is something you can't really say for X.
>
>It's rather have it be a little more difficult to make it transparent
>(terminal services) and have it work, then the counter.
>
>But Windows now has both, so it's irrelevant.

X works beautifully both locally and tranparently over the network.
To say it doesn't work is just plain lying.

Can I use terminal services to run my Windows apps remotely on a
non-Windows machine?  If you start talking about Citrix and
Windows 2K Server....please include some price and hardware
requirements.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 19:30:16 +0200

In article <9fqvbf$ek5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.) writes:
> pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> Hating the english isnt racism, its nationalism.
>
>> Come over here and say that and I will show you what I do to
>> "nationalists" (hint: I am a big bloke).
>
> You dont grow em bigger there than we grow em HERE.
>
> I'm big too.  And I dont mind dusting a limey by giving
> him a big kiss on the lips right before I kick him in
> the nutsack.  That always works by the way, no matter how
> ready you are for a big kiss, you arent EVER read for one
> from ME.

Never heard of a glaswegian kiss have you? :-)

--
Over 100 security bugs in Microsoft SW last year. An infamous
record. The worst offending piece of SW, by far, IIS. 2001 isn't

------------------------------

From: Macman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 18:51:14 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 17:33:03 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine))
> wrote:
>
> >In comp.os.linux.advocacy, drsquare
> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> >>Edit the registry? Install/remove windows components? Even some things
> >>you can do with the CLI you can't do without the GUI loaded as well.
> >
> >No doubt somebody's written third-party tools to do simple things
> >to the registry with command-line arguments.  Not sure if RegEDT32.EXE
> >is among them -- REGEDT32 portrays itself in the usual GUI fashion,
> >but might have command-line options.  However, I can't say I know
> >offhand.
>
> I have experimented with regedit on the command line, but it's a
> complete arse.

Of course it is--it's a CLI tool.

But it's not dramatically better or worse than other CLIs.

BTW, if you've already experimented with it, why did you claim it
couldn't be done?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Date: 8 Jun 2001 18:52:27 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> In article <9fqvbf$ek5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>       [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.) writes:
>> pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> Come over here and say that and I will show you what I do to
>>> "nationalists" (hint: I am a big bloke).
>>
>> You dont grow em bigger there than we grow em HERE.
>>
>> I'm big too.  And I dont mind dusting a limey by giving
>> him a big kiss on the lips right before I kick him in
>> the nutsack.  That always works by the way, no matter how
>> ready you are for a big kiss, you arent EVER read for one
>> from ME.

> Never heard of a glaswegian kiss have you? :-)

Damn skirt wearin faggerts.

=====.

--
"George Dubya Bush---the best presidency money can buy"

---obviously some Godless commie heathen faggot bastard