Linux-Advocacy Digest #102, Volume #35           Sun, 10 Jun 01 07:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  More funny stuff. ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft! (Greg Cox)
  Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust! (Terry
Porter)
  Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft! ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: IBM Goes Gay (GreyCloud)
  Re: IBM Goes Gay (GreyCloud)
  Re: Desktop Linux (Nico Coetzee)
  Re: IBM Goes Gay ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: Desktop Linux ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Here's a switch for a change ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: So what software is the NYSE running ? ("Matthew Gardiner")
  Re: Silly Gnome DNS lookups (Matthias Warkus)
  Re: A Browser is a Browser ("David Dorward")
  Re: More funny stuff. ("Matthew Gardiner")
  Re: Dennis Ritchie -- He Created Unix, But Now Uses Microsoft Windows ("Matthew
Gardiner")
  Re: XP finally reveals it true colors!!! ("Matthew Gardiner")
  Re: which OS is better to learn for an entry level job? ("Matthew Gardiner")
  Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags ("Matthew Gardiner")
  Re: A Browser is a Browser ("Matthew Gardiner")
  Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: A Browser is a Browser ("Ayende Rahien")

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: More funny stuff.
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 12:17:05 +0200

http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/6174/com_lite.htm

Just to note, I did 8 myself. The keyboard is just as good as ever.
But *damn* was it dirty.

6 & 9 & 11 are even more hilarious than the rest.

--
All we have of freedom, all we use or know--
This our fathers bought for us long and long ago.

Ancient Right unnoticed as the breath we draw--
Leave to live by no man's leave, underneath the Law.
Rudyard Kipling, Old Issue, 1899

------------------------------

From: Greg Cox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 09:18:47 GMT

In article <9fv9se$ric$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, don'[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > Okay, then the Seattle Times screwed up.  I was sure hoping that MS
> > wasn't paying that low a wage. I was starting to think Gates was a cheap
> > skate.  God only knows what programmers have to put up with, and quite a
> > few burn out after 5 years, and deserve the money.
>
> Well, according to testemonies, at least, MS is a really nice place to work
> at.

Hey, I survived 18 years there with -most- of my sanity intact, but I
was REALLY burned out...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust!
Date: 10 Jun 2001 09:20:17 GMT

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 19:10:38 +1000, green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>
>> Think about the term 'intrusive' for a few weeks, and consider what I
>> might mean by that.  This isn't a point you're ever going to win.
>>

> from their point of view intrusive into the workings of the computer. i.e.
> what type,
> do I have a net work card, modem. the same as a linux kernel but in a linux
> kernel you need to
> know more info to set up some things like usb, inserting modules latter,
> tcpip networking.

Under Windows, the *same* info is required and if the NIC card is not
detected properly, then even more info if needed.

> my point was a windows install is far less intrusive when it comes to what
> hardware info the
> user needs to know to get a working system.

This is just innacurate.

Firstly most Linux distos detect all the hardware with *no* user intervention
and you're assuming that Windows installs work all the time. They don't.

Secondly 99.9% of Windows installs are done at the factory, where the hardware
is specially chosen to work with *Windows*.

> ok nuf said and yes I can't win the argument on how you would / do use
> intrusive and how it applied to
> your comments :). bye.

Of course you can't, no one really can.

--
Kind Regards from Terry
My Desktop is powered by GNU/Linux.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 12:46:13 +0200

"Greg Cox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <9fv9se$ric$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, don'[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> >
> > "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Okay, then the Seattle Times screwed up.  I was sure hoping that MS
> > > wasn't paying that low a wage. I was starting to think Gates was a
cheap
> > > skate.  God only knows what programmers have to put up with, and quite
> > > few burn out after 5 years, and deserve the money.
> >
> > Well, according to testemonies, at least, MS is a really nice place to
work
> > at.
> >

> Hey, I survived 18 years there with -most- of my sanity intact, but I
> was REALLY burned out...

I'm sure you've heard and seen other companies treatment to programmers, how
do they threat them relative to Microsoft?
I'm asking because I'm interested, btw.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IBM Goes Gay
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 02:47:58 -0700

pip wrote:

> "." wrote:
> >
> > pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Come over here and say that and I will show you what I do to
> > > "nationalists" (hint: I am a big bloke).
> >
> > You dont grow em bigger there than we grow em HERE.
> >
> > I'm big too.  And I dont mind dusting a limey by giving
> > him a big kiss on the lips right before I kick him in
> > the nutsack.  That always works by the way, no matter how
> > ready you are for a big kiss, you arent EVER read for one
> > from ME.
>
> LOL - Bah humbug! I'll just blow some air up your kilt to distract you
> (or nick your tinny).

Tickets! Tickets!  Get your fight Tickets here!

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 02:50:20 -0700

pip wrote:

> flatfish+++ wrote:
> > [snip]
>
> This thread really does have no place here.
>
> Please!

Excuse me... ahem... could someone direct me to the linux advocacy
newsgroup?

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 11:55:06 +0200
From: Nico Coetzee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Desktop Linux

drsquare wrote:

> On Sat, 09 Jun 2001 17:57:54 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  (Nico Coetzee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >mlw wrote:
> >>
> >> There is a lot of crap being said about Linux being "ready" for the desktop.
> >> This is interesting because everyone assumes everything is necessary for the
> >> desktop. Everything from video capture, multistream video editing, multisource
> >> sound editing, 3d realistic gaming, and on and on.
> >
> >I think of a desktop system as a system with wich you can do at least
> >the following:
> >
> >* Access the Internet (all services, from http to irc)
>
> I doubt most users know what IRC is.

Pity - it can really safe travel expenses if you do a meeting on IRC. Of
course we now have the manager that can't type etc., but it can be a
valuable business tool.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 13:08:59 +0200

"GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> pip wrote:
> >
> > flatfish+++ wrote:
> > > [snip]
> >
> > This thread really does have no place here.
> >
> > Please!
>
> Excuse me... ahem... could someone direct me to the linux advocacy
> newsgroup?

I think it vanished like Atlantis.
Over half the posts I'm getting from this group now are about homosexuals
and gays.
Oh, and a US vs Europe arguments.

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 12:10:57 +0100

> I've been using LaTeX daily for well over 10 years.  I can pretty easily
> visualize what it's going to do most of the time,  but including
> graphics is definitely one of the weakest points.  In fact,  the TeX
> system on which LaTeX is based doesn't have even a single graphics
> primitive. The only way you can include graphics is by using driver
> specific extensions or using one of a variety of bizarre kluges (like
> converting an image into a character of a gigantic bitmapped font).

Now that postscript is a common graphics standard and TeX always comes
with the dvips driver, this is no longer a problem. Just include an eps
image and it'll work on any even remotely modern TeX system.

On a personal note, I am perfectly happy with it not showing the images
`inline' when you're typing it since it runs very fast, ie as fast as
your text editor. Not everyone will lke this, though.

> What's really pathetic is that a lot of UNIX folks still think TeX is an
> "advanced" and "powerful" system.

If TeX is neither advanced or powerful, then I'd love to see your opinion
of modern wordprocessors.

Well, I've got to go now and carry on being pathetic creating documents
more easily and which look better than any of my contemporaries.

-Ed

--
(You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)               (u98ejr)(@)(ecs.ox)(.ac.uk)

/d{def}def/f{/Times-Roman findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5 -1
r 230 350 moveto 0 1 179{2 1 r dup show 2 1 r 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s 15
d f pop 240 420 moveto 0 1 3 {4 2 1 r sub -1 r show}for showpage

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Here's a switch for a change
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 12:17:01 +0100

> Basically, no contract you sign or accept can ever sign away your
> statutory rights here in the UK, as far as I understand it.

That is good.

-Ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: More micro$oft "customer service"
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 12:20:34 +0100

In article <QTyU6.72927$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Sat, 09 Jun 2001 16:23:13 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>>  ("Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
> [snip]
>> >Dubious. If I buy a book and mark it up with a yellow highlighter, is
>> >that vandalism? Have I violated the copyright of the book's author?
>>
>> If the bookshop did that then yes.
>
> How about if the bookshop sells you the yellow highlighter, as well as
> the book?

How about if the bookshop sold the book ready highlighted to their
tastes?

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: So what software is the NYSE running ?
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:20:57 +1200

However Chad, NYSE  has alot more "high end clients", as so to speak, which
buy and sell in larger volumes more frequently.  The only people who do
invest into tech stocks are idiots who hope to make a quick buck.  However,
I would rather the approach that Guiness Peat Group take, and invest into
companies with long term rewards, rather than short term gratification such
as the Amazons and Microsofts of the world.

Matthew Gardiner

news:%4uU6.12535$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Subject: Re: Silly Gnome DNS lookups
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 18:20:34 +0000

It was the Wed, 06 Jun 2001 20:39:32 GMT...
...and ipslo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  I don't know why Gnome insists on doing a DNS lookup every time you open
>  an application.

It doesn't if your system is configured the right way, my friend.

mawa
--
Wenn die Wochentage Länder wären...
...dann wäre der Donnerstag die Volksrepublik China.

------------------------------

From: "David Dorward" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A Browser is a Browser
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 11:28:21 +0100

It seems that on Sat, 09 Jun 2001 22:48:53 +0100, someone claiming to be
"Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> typed this:

> Oh, *sure*, deny your site from 86% of the population. Yeah, right!

As I said if only a few people will do it then most of that 86% will give
up on the page. If it happens frequently enough then they might consider
changiner browser. However there isn't a hope in whatsit of enough people
blocking their sites to IE users.

--
David Dorward                                http://david.us-lot.org/
The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: More funny stuff.
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:32:26 +1200

1. Compaq is considering changing the command "Press Any Key" to"Press
Return Key" because of the flood of calls asking where the
     "Any" key is.

Maybe if that person read the sentence correctly, they would understand what
any key meant.  Had it said, "press THE any key to continue", then yes it
would be a valid question.

6. Another Dell customer called to say he couldn't get his computer to fax
anything. After 40 minutes of trouble-shooting, the
     technician discovered the man was trying to fax a piece of paper by
holding it in front of the monitor screen and hitting the "send"
     key.

Yeap, idiots are born every day.  Maybe the computer industry should go back
to the "you have to earn the right to use a computer", at least there
weren't half witts using computers.

8. Yet another Dell customer called to complain that his keyboard no longer
worked. He had cleaned it by filling up his tub with soap
     and water and soaking the keyboard for a day, then removing all the
keys and washing them individually.

What part of "computer is an electronic device" don't they understand? and
did they miss the Science class in 3rd (age 13-14) and 4th (age 14-15)
learning how circuits and electricity works?

9. A Dell technician received a call from a customer who was enraged because
his computer had told him he was "bad and an invalid".   The tech explained
that the computer's "bad command" and "invalid" responses shouldn't be taken
personally.

Yet another person who should never of been allowed to purchase a computer.

11. Another customer called Compaq tech support to say her brand-new
computer wouldn't work. She said she unpacked the unit, plugged it in, and
sat there for 20 minutes waiting for something to happen. When asked what
happened when she pressed the power switch, she asked "What power switch?"

Yet another person who should never have been allowed to purchase a
computer, and needs to repeat College from form three onwards.

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Dennis Ritchie -- He Created Unix, But Now Uses Microsoft Windows
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:40:27 +1200

1. A person with his reputation doesn't play the juvenile, "my OS is better
than yours" game.
2. You failed to mention that Bell Labs uses more than one operating system
in its facility.
3. What are you trying to prove?
4. He is a programmer, and does hold juvenile grudges against OS's, unlike
you. It is only software, no more, no less.  Nice little files with 0's and
1's placed in a particular order to create something.
5. Most users, like my self, don't give a shit what you, or anyone else uses
as an OS.  If you like to use Linux, then so be it.  If you like to use
Windows, then so be it.  If you like to use QNX RTP, then so be it.
However, don't think because you use that particular OS, it make you
superior to anyone within a 100kilometre radius of yourself.

Matthew Gardiner

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: XP finally reveals it true colors!!!
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:48:06 +1200

Some of the features are non-events, and most people have seen them coming
weeks before the announcement.  In short, sweet conclusion, if you don't
like it, don't use it.  Billie Gates and his cronies (hopefully), will not
visit your house and force you use to Windows.  If you don't like the
situation, then simply, don't upgrade, or if you are going to buy a new
computer, get a Mac w/ MacOS X and Office X, which is more than adequate for
most users (90% of users), or if you are a hardout power user/programmer,
grab a SUN workstation and use the freely available development tools.

Matthew Gardiner

news:NUDU6.79259$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: which OS is better to learn for an entry level job?
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:53:54 +1200

"Steven" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:vdAU6.44783$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Which OS should you focus on learning to get an entry level tech or
> programming job?  Linux or Windows?
>
> Thanks
>  Steve

Remember, don't just learn Linux, first learn PURE UNIX, and Windows, then
move onto Linux.  The bonus is, with learning pure UNIX, you can move your
skills from one vendor to another (say from SCO UnixWare to IRIX) and
experience no problems. Then, once you are confortable, then go into detail,
if you want, of that partiular vendors version of UNIX.  Unix then leads
onto Linux, if you choose to take that direction. However, I have heard that
Linux is good "training wheels" for those wanting to enter the pure UNIX
world.  I prefer the first approach.  Regarding Windows, yes, you will need
to learn the internals of it, and yes, you will cringe, however, you are
more likely to get a job being a Windows admin, however, the trade off is
that you will earn less money than a UNIX system admin.  Latest newspaper,
Unix Senior Admin, 120K + bonuses vs. Windows Senior Admin, 65K.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:57:45 +1200

Regarding Microsoft's networth, at one stage, it was at the same amount at
General Electric, however, if you wanted the REAL networth, it would be
substantially less.  I would say, $200B, maybe a few more, but not much
more. General Electic, prior to the buyout of Honeywell, is valued at around
$500B-$600B.  Many tech stocks are way, way, way overvalued due to naive
idiots buying into buzz word orientated business's that have no real long
term business plan or goals.

Matthew Gardiner

news:9fua39$1ek$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 23:02:33 +1200

Mig, you're quiet lucky in that in DK (Denmark I assume), that you have more
than one party in parliament to visit to address your concerns. Which is a
complete opposite in the US, where by if the two major parties don't want to
listen, you're screwed. Oh, the wonderful US democracy! Beacon of the world,
screwer of the little guy.

Matthew Gardiner

news:9ft6pc$2r7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 14:08:35 +0200

"Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9fvju8$k1u$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Regarding Microsoft's networth, at one stage, it was at the same amount at
> General Electric, however, if you wanted the REAL networth, it would be
> substantially less.  I would say, $200B, maybe a few more, but not much
> more. General Electic, prior to the buyout of Honeywell, is valued at
around
> $500B-$600B.  Many tech stocks are way, way, way overvalued due to naive
> idiots buying into buzz word orientated business's that have no real long
> term business plan or goals.

Actually, the reason I want net worth is to find things out about other
companies.
I sometimes post stuff that would be much more interesting if I could add
small tidbits like, "X could buy Y for pocket change".

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 14:10:11 +0200

"Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9fvk77$keh$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Mig, you're quiet lucky in that in DK (Denmark I assume), that you have
more
> than one party in parliament to visit to address your concerns. Which is a
> complete opposite in the US, where by if the two major parties don't want
> listen, you're screwed. Oh, the wonderful US democracy! Beacon of the
world,
> screwer of the little guy.

Hi, the other way around isn't much better.
Here, you get a political party per every 2.4 people.
Of course, at the moment, all of them are way over to the extreme right.