Linux-Advocacy Digest #252, Volume #35           Fri, 15 Jun 01 01:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals (drsquare)
  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals (drsquare)
  Re: Opera (drsquare)
  Re: Getting used to Linux (drsquare)
  Re: Getting used to Linux (drsquare)
  Re: Linux dead on the desktop. (drsquare)
  Re: Linux dead on the desktop. (drsquare)
  Re: Redhat video problems. (drsquare)
  Re: Linux freindly ISPs? (drsquare)
  Re: Dennis Ritchie -- He Created Unix, But Now Uses Microsoft Windows (drsquare)
  Re: Dennis Ritchie -- He Created Unix, But Now Uses Microsoft Windows (drsquare)
  Re: OT: The point of all of this... (was Re: Where is American pride?) (drsquare)
  Re: LINUX PRINTING SUCKS!!!!!!!! (drsquare)
  Re: *Newbie* Linux/Windows 98 Dual Boot (drsquare)
  Re: Linux wins again.... (drsquare)
  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals (was: chaney: retard) (drsquare)
  Re: OT:  Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and   (Rotten168)
  Re: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and   (Rotten168)
  Re: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and      (Rotten168)
  Re: So what software is the NYSE running ? (Rotten168)
  Re: Linux wins again.... ("Linux Admin")
  Re: "This will not happen again," said the Microsoft spokesperson. "Period." (Flacco)

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 05:13:29 +0100

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 16:00:43 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Sky King <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>> >just posted FACTS.  You can get the same info from gay and lesbian
>> >sites. sky
>>
>> OK, a few points about the site:
>>
>> 1) It only mentions being about cases in the US.
>
>I thought we were talking about the developed countries.  Sure you
>can screw up the numbers if you go to Africa etc. sky

We were talking about ALL countries. And even with developed
countries, the US is still but a small fraction. You'll have to
provide statistics for the entire world if you want to prove anything.

> The US is but a small
>> percentage (~4%) of the world. Testing 4% of people will not give an
>> accurate result.
>> 2) It only mentions cases of AIDS, not instances of HIV. There are
>> probably many more with HIV who have not developed AIDS yet.
>
>Yep and in the U.S. most would be gay too. sky

Who mentioned the US?

>> 3) The date only seems to go up to 1997, and is therefore obsolete.
>
>Updated data would be the same only larger numbers. sky

Prove it.

>> 4) It does not mention how the statistics were obtained.
>> 5) It does not mention any independent bodies who verified the data.
>> 6) The data was collected by a body from a predominantly homophobic
>> country, therefore making the statistics next to useless.

>Ah there we have it. All your other reasons do not matter. Just like I
>said above.  It does not matter who does the statistics if the
>statisticians are from the U.S. they are flawed because of homophobic
>attitudes.  It would not matter how they were obtained etc. sky

So you agree that the statistics are worthless? Thankyou.

>It is not a predominantly homophobic country.

Yes, it is.

> Gays like to label anyone
>that disagrees with their lifestyle or special rights for gays as
>being homophobic.

No, just people who try to opress them because of it.

>They don't fear homosexuals they are simply disgusted
>by their lifestyle.

No, they're just taught by the vicar to hate and fear homosexuals.

>Especially men with men.  Lesbians are more
>tolerated.  Besides homosexuals do not tolerate those that disagree with
>their lifestyle. sky

Hardly surprising as the heterosexual majority finds it extremely
difficult to tolerate homosexuals.

>> I'd like to see your replies to the above points.
>>
>You just did. sky

And I just had to laugh.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 05:13:30 +0100

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 17:18:36 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (John LaVoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>> OK, a few points about the site:
>>
>> 1) It only mentions being about cases in the US. The US is but a small
>> percentage (~4%) of the world. Testing 4% of people will not give an
>> accurate result.
>
>That's what is being discussed, i.e. the developed world

Since when does US equate to "i.e. the developed world"? 1) We never
cut it down to the developed world. 2) The US is a small fraction of
the developed world.

>> 2) It only mentions cases of AIDS, not instances of HIV. There are
>> probably many more with HIV who have not developed AIDS yet.
>
>But there is no reason to suspect that hets develop AIDS at a different rate
>than gays.  If het AIDS increases by a certain percent, it is likely that gay
>cases will increase proportionately.

We're talking about HIV, not AIDS.

>> 3) The date only seems to go up to 1997, and is therefore obsolete.
>
>Not bad for medical stats. Not obsolete

Of course it's obsolete. 4 years is a long time.

>> 4) It does not mention how the statistics were obtained.
>
>There is no reason to doubt the numbers.

There is: it does not mention how the statistics were obtained. It's a
shame there are so many people like you who accept what they are told
without questioning.

>> 5) It does not mention any independent bodies who verified the data.
>
>Its from teh CDC.  That would be the touchstone for most people

Who? And what does being a "touchstone" have to do with anything?

>> 6) The data was collected by a body from a predominantly homophobic
>> country, therefore making the statistics next to useless.
>
>Completely irrelevant.

COMPLETELY relevant.

>> I'd like to see your replies to the above points.
>
>There isn't any real question that gay men contract HIV at a higher rate than
>het men.

Yes, there is plenty of question.

>unprotected gay sexc is still a major vector for the disease. But this
>is irrelevant to anything importnat. The key is to effect change in gay sexual
>patterns.  The recent reports indicating a spike in the gay AIDS rate and the
>rise in unprotected sex indicates that the message is not getting through.  But
>it doesn't mean that there =is anything inherently bad or wicked about
>homosexuality, only that there is a disease which disproportionaly affects gay
>men.

Which has yet to be proven.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Opera
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 05:13:31 +0100

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001 08:08:26 +1200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> So Todd, what you are saying is if I wrote a piano concerto in E minor,
>> and I sold manuscripts of it so that people could play it at home, some
>> how, I am giving away my "intellectual property"? no, I am not.
>
>No, you're selling it.  See the word "sold" in your sentence?

Your point?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Getting used to Linux
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 05:13:32 +0100

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 18:00:18 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>> >No they don't ... *real GNU* programmers use Nano, as Pico !=GPl :)
>> >
>> >Btw Nano looks just like Pico, works just like Pico, but has enhancements:)
>>
>> Like not being shit?
>
>It isn't that... besides the University of Washington made it... its now
>at vers. 4 for UNIX.

And it's still not a patch on VI.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 05:13:33 +0100

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 18:03:02 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>drsquare wrote:

>> >I am afraid I had to go back to windows, becuase the software
>> >I need to use is only on windows.
>>
>> I have to use windows because of my winmodem. This would never have
>> happened if it wasn't for Microsoft.
>
>You can now get drivers for winmodems for linux.  I have an external
>modem that doesn't rob the CPU of its clock cycles.  One simple modem
>chip works better than any software and it won't get corrupted by any
>file system accidents either.
>Search the web for winmodem drivers for Linux.

I have, but it's proving difficult to find anything.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 05:13:34 +0100

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 19:03:45 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Colin Day <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>Edward Rosten wrote:
>

>> --
>> (You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)               (u98ejr)(@)(ecs.ox)(.ac.uk)
>>
>> /d{def}def/f{/Times-Roman findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5 -1
>> r 230 350 moveto 0 1 179{2 1 r dup show 2 1 r 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s 15
>> d f pop 240 420 moveto 0 1 3 {4 2 1 r sub -1 r show}for showpage
>
>Is that Postscript? I know a tiny bit of it from using psplot in LATeX.

Yeah, it swirls the psycho-rats sentence around from the centre with a
little square in the middle, then his address comes up in the middle.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 05:13:34 +0100

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 19:09:55 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Colin Day <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>Peter Köhlmann wrote:
>>
>> JS | PL wrote:
>> > operating systems. But I do know that Windows XP saves the consumer money
>> > in ways which are far above and beyond the price of the list price.
>> > Actually if you add in savings realized in NOT seperately purchasing it's
>> > newest bundled software, CD burner software, video editing, etc... the OS
>> > could be considered *FREE* for some.
>> >
>> JS\\PL, you somehow  mixed Linux and Windows.
>> With Linux you get the CD burner Software, a full office suite, complete
>> server software for the asking or for a nominal fee (for the media). Thats
>> right, and you said it, it´s free. Windows on the other hand costs money,
>> and lots of that to boot.
>
>Hey, even the $69.95 (US) for SuSe 7.1 Professional isn't that
>expensive.

Or the £0.00 for Debian.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat video problems.
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 05:13:36 +0100

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 17:51:00 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>drsquare wrote:

>> >The latest (stable) Debian allows for it, but I only use one
>> >resolution, and thats 1024*768.
>> >
>> >Ive set up X in Debian (a trivial affair) to display only
>> >this resolution.
>>
>> I only use 800x600, as 1024x768 makes everything too small. However,
>> it's a bit of an arse to have to press Ctrl+Alt+plus to increase the
>> resolution from 640x480 every time it starts up.
>
>Well, isn't it a lot easier than clicking on start... settings...
>control panel ... display... settings...???

Yeah, but when you've done it once you never have to do it again.

>Then a reboot??

No, you don't have to reboot for that.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux freindly ISPs?
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 05:13:35 +0100

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001 01:57:28 +0100, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Andy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>If your internet calls will be more than £2.50 a week you might be better
>off with a subscription ISP. I use ClaraNet (www.clara.co.uk) a 10er amonth
>for free weekday evening 6pm - 2am and all weekend calls. You get 3 numbers
>to connect (2 telcos) so if one is busy one of the others will connect,
>Email, news and batch ftp. No IRC or streaming with this package. They have

No IRC? What, do they block off port 6667 or something? Or do they
just not have their own server?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Dennis Ritchie -- He Created Unix, But Now Uses Microsoft Windows
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 05:13:37 +0100

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 22:49:44 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>drsquare wrote:
>
>>> I've just downloaded that, and I'll install it when I can get all the
>> dependencies and conflicts worked out. That's the good thing about
>> Windows, you just download the installation programs and install it,
>> you don't have to bother about all the dependencies and package
>> conflicts etc.
>
>Unless the installation program replaces some key Windows DLLs
>or mungs some Registry entry.

Never happened with me. Every single program I've downloaded (and
that's a LOT) has installed flawlessly. With Linux, I'm lucky if it
installs at all, and that's AFTER downloading all the packages and
dealing with all the conflicts. And if you're compiling from source,
you may as well just not bother.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 05:13:37 +0100

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 17:52:37 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>drsquare wrote:

>> >I wonder where we can get some stuffed Octopi to sell to the
>> >Windanistas?  We could make a good profit!
>>
>> What are you talking about? Stuffed Octopi?
>
>Octopus... the eight armed or legged creatures that represent the
>strangling grasp of a monopoly.

Ahah, it makes so much sense.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OT: The point of all of this... (was Re: Where is American pride?)
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 05:13:38 +0100

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 17:03:05 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>drsquare wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 11:04:53 +0100, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>>  (Thaddius Maximus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>> >Amen, brother!!!  A country without patriotism is east pickins.
>>
>> It was patriotism that caused the war in the first place.
>
>Let us put it another way.... everyone invade Holland where you live and
>see if anyone will defend.

Why would anyone invade? And what has patriotism got to do with
defending? And since when do I live in Holland?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LINUX PRINTING SUCKS!!!!!!!!
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 05:13:39 +0100

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 17:20:12 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>> >No, its pilsner.  Read the goddamned can.
>> U drink from cans??? bletch!
>
>Heheheh... try Budweiser from a can.  ;-)

I'd rather drink my own sick. No, actually, someone else's sick.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: *Newbie* Linux/Windows 98 Dual Boot
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 05:13:39 +0100

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 19:18:07 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Paolo Ciambotti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Big Daddy"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Do the 2 partitions work together well?
>
>I have never had a problem.
>
>I presently have Win98SE on one hard drive, and Linux on the other.  I did
>have a dual-boot partitioned system that I created with Partition Magic,
>but with the falling disk prices I'd recommend keeping the two systems
>physically separate.  That way MSFT can't sneak up and bite you in the ass
>by screwing with the MBR in new and unusual ways.  A paltry hundred bucks
>buys a heckuva lot of peace of mind.

        I could do with splashing out on a new hard disk. That 500MB I
reserved for /usr just doesn't seem as enormous as it once did. Mind
you, I was only using it for gcc and a few console utilities. Then
games. Then X. Then browsers. Then latex, and before you know it
there's not too much left. And that 20MB I gave to /var was fine, only
the odd bit of local mail to put there. And then last night, suddenly
it filled up to 80%, with new and exciting files, out of the blue.
        So, I deleted them. Next thing I new, dpkg could't find its
configuration files. So, I put them back, and now dpkg thinks no
packages at all are installed. The only solution? Reinstalling ALL the
packages! And my FAT32 c: d: e: and f: drives are bursting at the
seams.

>I can do anything I want to the Windows VFAT disk from Linux, but Win98
>doesn't even recognize the Linux EXT2 filesystem.  I like it that way,
>and I wanna keep it that way.

I know what you mean. I wouldn't DARE let windows near my precious
ext2 partitions...

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux wins again....
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 05:13:40 +0100

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 18:45:38 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Linux Admin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>Linux stops Solaris and the best the over priced W2K can do is come close
>to a tie on one benchmark while falling far behind on another!

Benchmarks are bollocks.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.bonehead.steve-chaney,soc.men,soc.singles,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals (was: chaney: retard)
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 05:13:41 +0100

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:07:11 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Danielle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>>> I'll reply to the evidence when I consider it evidence.
>>
>>are you, dr.square, a gay homersexual?
>

>Or maybe he's a happy Homer Simpson.

As it happens, I'm neither.

------------------------------

From: Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: OT:  Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 04:10:23 GMT

Thaddius Maximus wrote:

> drsquare wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 23:38:54 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> >  ("Stephen S. Edwards II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

> > >It is preposterous, and such laws are a result
> > >of the liberal mindset.
> >
> > Liberal mindset? How are such draconian laws liberal?
> >
> > >That law was as recent
> > >as the 70's, IIRC.  The reason why laws like
> > >that one get put into place is because of
> > >a lack of patriotism, and pride.  People just
> > >apathetically allow these idiotic politicians
> > >to do their own bidding, without saying a damn
> > >word.
> >
> > Well, that's democracy for you. If I was the absolute dictator of the
> > world, such things would never happen.
> >

> For the last time - the USA is NOT a democracy and has never been a
> democracy.  The USA is a republic!

*sigh* I swear to God I've had to pull out Webster's every damn time I
get involved in a flame war on USENET.

Ahem.

democracy n. 1. government by the people, either directly or through
representatives

republic n. a state or government in which the supreme power rests in
all the citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by representatives
elected by them

I'd say either or both would apply.

--
- Brent

"General Veer, prepare your underpants for ground assault."
- Darth Vader

http://rotten168.home.att.net

------------------------------

From: Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 04:11:33 GMT

GreyCloud wrote:

> > > Well now,... lets see what happens to the world economy if the stock
> > > exchanges went belly up.  Think your country is immune??
> > >

> > When the US economy was rapidly slowing down, New Zealand was expanding at
> > 3.5-3.7%, fueled by the low dollar and increased dairy output.  The US needs
> > an export backed recovery, throw the dollar down to say, 50US Cents to one
> > New Zealand Dollar, thus making it more competitive, imports cost more thus
> > protect local industry ligitimately, and the trade deficit comes down.
> >
> > As for the stock exchange, the New Zealand has learnt from the 87 crash, but
> > apparently, the US hasn't.
> >
> > Matthew Gardiner
>
> That is why I haven't reinvested yet.  There seems to be something wrong
> in our stock market now.  The stock brokers are getting as bad as used
> car salesmen or worse these days.

Bah, it's a bargain market. Actually now would be the time to buy
Microsoft, IBM. Those companies aren't going to go under and the market
is bound to go up eventually.

From: Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 04:12:10 GMT

"Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" wrote:

> GreyCloud wrote:

> >>When the US economy was rapidly slowing down, New Zealand was expanding at
> >>3.5-3.7%, fueled by the low dollar and increased dairy output.  The US needs
> >>an export backed recovery, throw the dollar down to say, 50US Cents to one
> >>New Zealand Dollar, thus making it more competitive, imports cost more thus
> >>protect local industry ligitimately, and the trade deficit comes down.
> >>
> >>As for the stock exchange, the New Zealand has learnt from the 87 crash, but
> >>apparently, the US hasn't.
> >>
> >>Matthew Gardiner
> >>

> > That is why I haven't reinvested yet.  There seems to be something wrong
> > in our stock market now.  The stock brokers are getting as bad as used
> > car salesmen or worse these days.
> >

> If you are going to re-invest, go for reliable stocks like General
> Electric, IBM, Kraft (the food topping people), Unilever and other high
> quality stocks.
>
> Matthew Gardiner

Yes, stay as possibly far as you can from Linux companies too.

From: Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: So what software is the NYSE running ?
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 04:23:10 GMT

Chad Myers wrote:

> "Rotten168" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Michael Vester wrote:
> >
> > > Exactly the reason that Microsoft would not attempt a fool hardy project
> > > like converting NASDAQ to losedos. They still have not proven that Hotmail
> > > is running 100% on losedos.  Speaking of Hotmail, I have abandoned my
> > > Hotmail account because it was unavailable too many times.  If converting
> > > Hotmail, which is simply web enabled email, was such a difficult task; how
> > > could they possibly convert NASDAQ to losedos? In a 6 1/2 hour trading day
> > > with 2 billion trades (a real busy day), the system has to process 85,470
> > > trades per second.  Of course, trading is done with mainframe, not
> > > losedos.
> >
> > I abandoned Hotmail too, but not for that reason. Microsoft suspiciously
> > does not allow POP access for any other mail reader than OL/OLE. That's
> > bull5hit IMO. So I blocked all incoming letters and got a Yahoo account.
> >
> > Usually I don't mind MS, but sometimes their greed is just transparent.
>
> Greed? A free service? Used only through a free client?

Why not allow POP access?

> It's not POP, btw, it's HTTP, and it goes back to the days before
> MS. They just haven't spent the time and effort to make it POP
> compliant because, for obvious reasons, there's just not enough
> demand for it.

I fucking hate using a webpage to read mail on... I'm not going to use
OLE for security reasons (and some word-wrap issues)... but while NS is
a POS it's mail reader is decent IMO, so I figured I could use that.
Well, surprise, Hotmail only offers access through OLE/OL...

I have no beef with MS... and I had no beef with HM... until I found
that out.

From: "Linux Admin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 21:46:16 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "drsquare"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 18:45:38 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Linux Admin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
>>Linux stops Solaris and the best the over priced W2K can do is come
>>close to a tie on one benchmark while falling far behind on another!
>
> Benchmarks are bollocks.

Of course you have documented evidance to show these benchmarks as
flawed???

Funny how winvocates will use any benchmark that shows MS software as
faster,  no mater how flawed, as God's proof that MS software is better
(think mindcraft tests), but claim that benchmarks are worthless when
benchmarks show otherwise. The benchmarks match tests and production
rates that I have seen in the  real world.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 00:23:45 -0400
From: Flacco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: "This will not happen again," said the Microsoft spokesperson. "Period."

> My favorite line:
>
> "We are on the verge of dumping all of our Microsoft stuff and going to
> Linux for reasons of expense and reasons of security," he said.

I liked that one, and this one was amusing:

" Portuguese security consultant Joao Gouveia likened the effect of the
patch to a denial-of-service  attack that overwhelms a Web server by
flooding it with page requests. "If you install the patch, you can cause
a self denial-of-service on the system," said Gouveia, who first
notified Microsoft of the problem in late April.  "