Linux-Advocacy Digest #329, Volume #35           Sun, 17 Jun 01 09:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Re: More microsoft innovation (drsquare)
  Re: More microsoft innovation (drsquare)
  Re: More microsoft innovation (drsquare)
  Re: LINUX PRINTING SUCKS!!!!!!!! (drsquare)
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" (drsquare)
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" (drsquare)
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" (drsquare)
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" (drsquare)
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" (drsquare)
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" (drsquare)
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" (drsquare)
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" (drsquare)
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" (drsquare)
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" (drsquare)
  Re: PC power switch wont shut down Windows (drsquare)
  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals (drsquare)
  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals (drsquare)
  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals (drsquare)
  Re: The Win/userbase! (drsquare)
  Re: The Win/userbase! (drsquare)
  Re: The Win/userbase! (drsquare)
  Re: The Win/userbase! (drsquare)
  Re: The Win/userbase! (drsquare)
  Re: Is Linux for me? (drsquare)
  Re: Is Linux for me? (drsquare)
  Re: Is Linux for me? (drsquare)
  Re: Is Linux for me? (drsquare)
  Re: Is Linux for me? (drsquare)
  Re: Is Linux for me? (drsquare)
  Re: Is Linux for me? (drsquare)
  Re: Is Linux for me? (drsquare)
  Re: Is Linux for me? (drsquare)
  Re: Windows makes good coasters (drsquare)

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: More microsoft innovation
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:12:58 +0100

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 23:31:58 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 18:37:41 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>>  ("Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>>
>> >"Peter Hayes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >Like removing graphics? Sounds? JavaScript?
>>
>> If you think that removing trivial extras
>
>Those aren't trivial extras.

Yes, they are. Also, the web designer is aware that some users won't
be using those features. That is why decent sites don't rely on
javascript, images or sound. Are you expecting web designers to design
sites suitable for those adding extra links in to rival sites?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:12:59 +0100

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 23:35:21 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"Peter Hayes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> Maybe even a list built from
>> your browsing history.
>
>No.

You are very naive.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:13:00 +0100

On Sun, 17 Jun 2001 00:51:58 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"Peter Hayes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > No.
>>
>> Sure?
>
>Quite, it's pretty hard to do so without transmitting large amounts of data
>to Microsoft.
>That is quite easily noticable.

Not really. More likely, they'll build it up on a local database, then
transmit it whenever you update something or pay your tithes.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LINUX PRINTING SUCKS!!!!!!!!
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:13:01 +0100

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 19:05:35 +0100, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark)) wrote:

>In article <9gcloh$cjn$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Edward Rosten wrote:
>>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "drsquare"

>>> What? NO beer goes well with curries. The flavours completely clash. ANY
>>> beer drunk with curry tastes like shit. Especially lager.
>>
>>We'll have to disagree with this one.
>>
>>Besides, it is traditional British food: lager and british curry.
>
>Bitter & curry, that's okay.

No beer goes with curry. The flavours completely clash.

>Not lager (at least, not the crap we get in the UK, anyway)

All lager is crap.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: More micro$oft "customer service"
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:13:01 +0100

On Sun, 17 Jun 2001 00:22:23 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"Mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
>> Microsoft should not be attempting to censor and manipulate information
>> between information providers and their audience.
>
>Try using a non-Javascript enabled browser on a page with document.write.

Any page like that deserves to be distorted.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:13:02 +0100

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 23:14:34 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Peter Köhlmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>Mark wrote:

>> Microsoft should seek the permission of all content publishers regarding
>> their proposal to censor, manipulate or change the content of their
>> publications.  If they cannot get everyone's agreement, this option
>> should be removed.
>

>I have a different idea. MS could let this option inside IE.
>Only this time the
>meta tag: <meta name="MSSmartTagsPreventParsing" content="TRUE">
>should be reversed, meaning that only when someone puts it unto his site
>IE is allowed to use this gimmick.
>
>Naturally, not very much sites would do that, only MS´s own and the ones
>MS manages to pressure into it. But all those problems you read here will
>simply just vanish.

But, as we all know, that is NOT going to happen. MS has too much
money to make from Smart Tag bribes.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:13:03 +0100

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 19:44:41 +0100, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark)) wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, drsquare wrote:

>>>anonymizer changes the links so you go through
>>>their site.
>>
>>And? The links are still going to the same sites. The user still gets
>>the same content. Also, anonymiser is COMPLETELY up to the user.
>>Anonymiser doesn't come built in.
>
>But it's just a proxy, surely?  It in no way changes the site content.

Anonymizer changes the links to go through the proxy. That is made
clear by Anonymizer.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:13:03 +0100

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 21:49:52 +0100, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 21:07:47 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark)
>wrote:

>> The base content is provided by Microsoft.  Future versions are
>> likely to go to an external database, and are also likely to result
>> in carefully selected material from Microsoft's associate companies
>> finding it's way to the user's desktop.

>How?
>
>Ayende has stated categorically that XP doesn't phone home.
>
>Or will we get a message like "To provide a more personalized browsing
>experience will you allow Internet Explorer to accept valuable browsing
>information from www.microsoft.com"?

Or more likely "You are getting sleepy.....Your eyelids are
heavy....You feel an irresistable urge to click 'accept'..."

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:13:05 +0100

On Sun, 17 Jun 2001 00:19:29 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"Woofbert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> Have you been following thus argument at tall? That's what we've been
>> complaining about since the start!
>
>And your problem is that you fear that this stock implementation will link
>Linux to cancer, etc?

That is one reason, and the links will probably be something along
those lines.

>Since it doesn't do any such thing, I fail to see the reason for this
>reaction.

We'll just have to see, won't we?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:13:06 +0100

On Sun, 17 Jun 2001 00:13:06 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >No, but it makes it a lot like it.
>>
>> I've yet to see a site that uses pdf instead of html.
>
>www.guides.co.il
>
>It used to be that all the guides were PDF, not some are HTML.

That site requires hebrew text support. I'm not installing hebrew text
support for the sake of this little discussion.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:13:06 +0100

On Sun, 17 Jun 2001 07:32:05 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"Tim Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > www.guides.co.il
>>
>> And the first line of source code on that page is:
>>
>> "<html><!-- #BeginTemplate "/Templates/all.dwt" -->"
>>
>> So, since when did PDF files start out with the <html> bit?
>
>The guides in it are mostly PDF, which is what I said.

I'm looking for a site which uses PDF INSTEAD of HTML.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:13:07 +0100

On Sun, 17 Jun 2001 00:14:10 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >No. Adobe Acrobat reader for Windows opens them in the same
>> >browser window you used to navigate there- just like a web
>> >page.
>>
>> How come all the PDF readers seem to be made by Adobe?
>
>That isn't even close.

Name some more.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:13:08 +0100

On Sun, 17 Jun 2001 00:16:50 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >Already did, when I posted the screen shot.
>>
>> You never posted a screen shot. Also, it's not out yet, so I can't
>> decide for myself.
>
>I posted an article with a link to a screen shot.
>The beta is out, and you can shell out a couple of bucks for XP RC.

I must have missed that post.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:13:08 +0100

On Sun, 17 Jun 2001 01:14:36 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >No. Adobe Acrobat reader for Windows opens them in the same
>> >browser window you used to navigate there- just like a web
>> >page.
>>
>> How come all the PDF readers seem to be made by Adobe?
>
>They aren't. But Adobe's is a nice one, and it is free.

The one I used wasn't. Nowhere near as good as HTML for web sites. For
the printed page maybe, but not suited to the web.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: PC power switch wont shut down Windows
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:13:09 +0100

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 22:05:24 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (LShaping <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>My computer's Basic Input/Output Service settings and Windows settings
>are correct, as always.  Microsoft has disabled the power switch in
>certain circumstances in an effort to cope with Windows technical
>problems.  When I want to turn off my computer, I would like to use my
>computer's power switch to do so.
>LShaping

Just pull the plug.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:13:10 +0100

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 19:07:22 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Rich Soyack" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >What is the risk of infection, for a man, from vaginal sex?  From anal
>sex,
>> >with the
>> >man being the receiver?  Receiving a blow job?  Giving one?  I never see
>> >these statistics
>> >published anywhere?
>>
>> Because there's no reliable way of finding it out.
>
>Gee, they used to be able to tell us this for clap and syphilis, why not for
>AIDS?

You cannot be infected with AIDS.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:13:10 +0100

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 19:08:36 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Rich Soyack" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >Women. Thats plural. Thats multiple sexual partners. Well, did you know
>> >your risk of contracting HIV is increasing exponentially?
>>
>> Which is also going against all the right-wing idealism he seems to
>> favour so much.
>
>But, drsquare, you just finished telling me that there is no way of telling
>what the
>risk is.  Did you find a way between that post and this?

I was saying there was no reliable way of finding out the risks of
different types of sexual contact. Obviously with multiple partners
there will be more opportunity of finding an infected partner.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:13:11 +0100

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 20:20:01 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Rich Soyack" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"jet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:9ggcrt$b56i$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> Get real. He said there was no reliable way of telling which specific sex
>> acts carried which risks.
>
>Really?  Methods used to study the transmission of other STDs don't work
>with AIDS?  Why is that?

For a start, AIDS is not an STD.

>> But, whatever the risks are, it's reasonable to assume the more chances
>you
>> take, the more likely you are to get AIDS.
>
>Which acts carry with it the most chances of getting AIDS?

You can't get infected with AIDS. If you can't understand simple
things like that, how do you expect to participate in this discussion
and to be taken seriously?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Win/userbase!
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:13:12 +0100

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 19:07:34 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>says...
>
>> Add to those rules :
>
>> 3) Never run MSWord (macro virus)
>
>Simple. Disable macros unless you know what they are.

You never know if they've been automatically enabled.

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:13:13 +0100

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 19:12:25 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>> Also, more virii / trojans / etc. pass themselves off as another sort of
>> file (like porn). So telling someone not to run any exe files fails cause
>> they will try to open that picture of the naked tennis player. Then they
>> will complain to you that you never said a jpeg file could cause any
>> damage.
>
>Um, double clicking on a JPEG runs the associated viewer, not the JPEG
>itself.

What does that mean to the average user? Nothing.

>> So how many houses follow the win9x security model of "one easy-to-pick
>> lock on the front door and no other locks anywhere in the house"?
>
>Most houses I know do.

Houses are hardly comparable to OSes. I suspect if there was a large
chance of someone breaking in, or of someone in the house accidently
doing extreme damage, you'd lock ALL of the doors.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:13:13 +0100

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 20:13:58 +0100, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>drsquare wrote:

>> >You can simple change the preferences on ALL the above programs to make
>> >things safer than the default settings. I do not see your point.
>> >
>> >Beside in MSWord/Excel you even have to positively ALLOW macros when you
>> >open up documents.
>>
>> That doesn't change the fact that they're both shite programs.
>
>I find them very good. In fact - better than others - especially the
>opensource ones.

You think Word is comparable to Lyx?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:13:14 +0100

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 19:14:46 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>
>> I've heard of a certain mail program automatically running certain
>> attachments. Also, your forgot to mention that Windows makes it easy
>> to make .exe files look like .jpg files etc.
>
>Um, yeah, I just thought of a couple of ways a JPEG lookalike could
>really be an exe in disguise. But then, I always switch on "show file
>extensions".

But most users don't even know what an extention means, never mind how
to turn it off. Looks like MS just don't think about the average user.

>> I don't see how that's an advantage. I'd rather run a "cat /dev/null >
>> /dev/hd*" virus on linux than a "format c:" virus on windows. Why?
>> Because linux gives "Permission Denied!"
>
>Unless you are root, of course.

If you read your mail or run dodgy programs as root, you deserve to
get a virus.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:13:15 +0100

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 23:59:19 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Glitch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>I believe the argument stops here.

And it has! That's the last message in the thread.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is Linux for me?
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:13:15 +0100

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 14:16:06 -0500, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Jack Tripper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>>>I don't mind reformatting the whole
>>>hard drive,
>>
>>I wouldn't bother doing that just yet.
>
>I've been reading up a bit on disk partitioning and apparently it
>*does* involve erasing all my programs? Don't I have to reformat the
>whole hd anyway, to ge the partition? Or, is it simply a matter of

You can use fips to compress the original partition, then use fdisk to
create a new partition in the space.

>creating the space (yeah, and I meant 8.4 MEGS) and partitioning it?

How have you managed to put Windows on 8.4MEGS? Anyway, if you want to
run something other than "cp" or "cat", get a bigger hard disk. You
can probably get an adequetly sized one for under £100. In saying
that, if you get floppix (linux on a floppy) you can run linux without
a hard disk, including things like a mail server and an ftp server.

>I'm very confused. From reading all your comments it's obvious that
>because of my limited UNIX experience I shouldn't put all my eggs in
>one basket.
>Thanks for all your help! And what I meant with all that GUI HTML
>interface stuff was a program like netscape composer, editors for
>making web pages.

You'll never get a GUI HTML creator on an 8.4MG hard disk.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:13:16 +0100

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 19:23:23 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine))
wrote:

>In comp.os.linux.advocacy, drsquare
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>>Especially with a winmodem or other hardware you can't get installed
>>(like my fucking printer).
>
>Ouch.
>
>I'll admit, I had no problems with my LaserJet 5, but there are
>printers out there specifically designed for Windows.
>Probably because it's cheaper to mass-design them with a
>proprietary interface -- and it's not clear that any of them
>are usable with Linux.

Mine's not a winprinter I think. It's an Epson Stylus Color 670, which
I read in the Printing HOWTO has been known to work with linux. I have
it printing plain text, but I've had no luck setting up printer
daemons/filters.

>>>It's a start.  :-)  And actually a pretty good one.
>>
>>Apart from pine. That has to be the worst e-mail client ever made.
>>Unlike mutt, which is the best e-mail client ever made.
>
>I couldn't say.  I use elm, myself.  It's about as simple
>as one can get.

Simple != good. Mutt has all the features you could possibly want in a
console mail client.

>>>Or are you thinking along some type of HTML editor like the
>>>Win32's DreamWeaver? Dunno what might be available on Linux
>>>for such -- I just use vi. :-)  But tools should be out there.
>>
>>Vi is the only HTML editor anyone ever needs...
>
>I wouldn't go quite that far...some people use Emacs, for example. :-)

Yes, inferior fools.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:13:17 +0100

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 22:39:52 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
>message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
>> Not sure what you mean by "GUI HTML interface program".  Netscape,
>> for instance, has a GUI, reads HTML, and has a reasonable user
>> interface. :-)
>
>It's also very bad browser.
>Mozilla, Gaelon, or Konquerer are all better choices.

And Opera is the supreme choice.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:13:18 +0100

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 15:12:02 -0500, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Jack Tripper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 22:49:27 +0200, "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>
>>"Jack Tripper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>>Please shorten your sig.
>>4 lines is considered the maximum polite limit.
>>

>Everytime someone complains about my sig, I add a line.

And everytime you add a line, someone else killfiles you.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:13:18 +0100

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 17:03:28 -0500, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Jack Tripper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 22:58:33 +0200, Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> Everytime someone complains about my sig, I add a line.
>>
>>Why would you insist on beying annoying ?
>
>Since this refers to me, and not my sig, the length is safe!
>Honestly - I always try to adhere to nettiquette, I don't top post,
>cross post, all that garbage. I figure with all that, I should be able
>to break one rule gloriously, and with panache. Most people don't
>really mind; some do and I apologize. If it is REALLY an issue with
>people on a certain NG, then I usually just stop posting to that NG
>entirely, as they're not going to be 'fun' people anyway.
>So this is sort of an apology, sort of a defense. I'm such a Canuck
>bastard!

Many people have killfiled Kulkis for his long sig, and I don't think
too many people would be upset if you left. I suspect you are only
doing things like this for attention, so, goodbye: *plonk*.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:13:19 +0100

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 23:52:45 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"Jack Tripper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >Please shorten your sig.
>> >4 lines is considered the maximum polite limit.
>> >

>> Everytime someone complains about my sig, I add a line.
>
>Oh, *great*!
>*Another* Aaron.
>Doesn't Linux suffer enough from having one advocate with disgusting habits?

It's a good job those two are exceptions, or I could have the entire
Linux community in my killfile.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:13:20 +0100

On Sun, 17 Jun 2001 01:43:37 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>Ayende Rahien wrote:
>>
>> "Jack Tripper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> Please shorten your sig.
>> 4 lines is considered the maximum polite limit.
>
>Hmmmm.... are we being trolled again??

Well, with his claim of an 8.4 *MEGA* byte hard disk, I suspect he is
trolling.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:13:20 +0100

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 23:01:33 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Ralph Miguel Froehlich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>If you really want to learn about Linux and there is no need to have a
>system up and running immediately 100% perfectly, give Debian a try.
>It's not so comfortable with setup- and configuration-assistants like
>SuSE or Red Hat, but slim, stable and one of the most mature flavour of
>Linux. Link: www.debian.org

And it's impossible to set up hardware with.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:13:21 +0100

On 16 Jun 2001 23:55:29 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (/p@ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jack says...
>
>> I mostly like
>>to use my computer for internet stuff - writing web pages, random
>>surfing, email, stuff like that. I also use it for mp3s.
>
>Linux is a good OS and stable. But for what you want to use the PC
>for, I recommend windows.

I don't. I think he's after doing things which require stability, such
as writing web pages and using the web. Windows makes those tasks as
difficult as possible.

>Windows IE is a much better browser.

Compared to what? Lynx?

>There is more support for windows
>on the web, and I found that browsing using windows and IE is much more
>pleasent that Linux/Netscape.

I find that Linux/Opera, or even Windows/Opera is better than IE.

>Now if you want a server, then I say Linux is the better choice.

Or a desktop.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows makes good coasters
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:13:21 +0100

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 18:37:51 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Colin Day <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>> >Type doskey at a command prompt.
>>
>> Hmmm... I never knew it could do that. Why isn't it documented?
>
>Actually, if you invoke the DOS prompt from windows, you can have doskey
>started automatically. I believe it's under Properties

Can I have it loaded optionally in a startup script?