From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux wins again....
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 00:37:21 -0400

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
> >Charlie Ebert wrote:

> >> I need to VENT HERE!  I'll tell you what SICKENS ME GOD DAMMIT!
> >>
> >> WHAT SICKENS ME IS THAT BUSINESS'S HAVE TO TAKE ALL THEIR ADVICE
> >> FROM DRIPPING MAGGOTS AT MICROSOFT, 6 FIGURE CONSULTANTS WHO RECOMMEND
> >> NOTHING BUT MICROSOFT, AND FINALLY THE FUCKING SCREWED GENERAL NEWS
> >> MEDIA!
> >>
> >> Why on EARTH can't the stupid business base just buy one of each,
> >> put them thru their OWN competitive trial and discover the god
> >> damn answer for themselves!
> >>
> >> YET IN EVERY CASE, WHEN A BUSINESS DECISION IS TO BE MADE,
> >> STUPID CORPORATE MAGGOTS MUST POINT TO MAGAZINES, MICROSOFT, OR
> >> THEIR DRIZZLY 6 FIGURE INCOME BUSINESS ANALYSTS WHO MERELY POINT
> >> TO A W2K SERVER WITH IIS AND SAY "GET ME PRETTY PLEASE!."
> >>
> >> We have a problem in this country where by we have allowed our
> >> corporations to become infested with stupid management who
> >> make way more than their fare share of earnings spouting off
> >> things which a six year old could do?
> >
> >Fortunately, this is changing.
> >
> >Windows is losing the war, one small battle at a time.
> >
> >Every time a clued-in manager chooses unix/linux, and provides more
> >reliable services, at less cost....he makes his Windows-loving
> >cohort look like the fools that they are...to upper management.
> >
> >Upper management is slowly but surely coming to realize that M$
> >is the source of pollution, not solutions.
> >

> >> Could either of you justify why a corporate president would
> >> pay a 6 figure salary to someone who would recommend nothing
> >> but Microsoft.  I mean recomment MS everytime anything came
> >> up?  Never giving an alternative to anything.  EVER!
> >
> >Ignorance.
> >
> >But once again, this is changing.  The CEOs of 20 years ago
> >are retiring...
> >
> >And the new C_*I*_Os are very pro-Unix whenever possible.
> >
> >As Linux starts to become more visable....they will jump onto
> >the Linux bandwagon....for the cost perspective alone.
> >

> >Users do NOT need word.  They need *a* document application.
> >
> >And most CIOs are smart enough to realize that users will use
> >whatever damned system they are told to use....or else said
> >users can go find a new job.
> >

> >> Our 6 figure corporate analyst was doing that just the other
> >> day.  The Analyst was attempting to close a deal on a new
> >> phone system with our executives, whilst screaming on the
> >> phone saying it was a good deal.  The phone the analyst
> >> was on was the one recommended.
> >>
> >> And it goes on...  And on...  And on...  And on...
> >
> >If I were you, I'd find a job at a new company.
> >

> Resign?  Leave the battle and just run away?
>
> I don't think this will solve ANYTHING.

If the battle at your company is already lost, then best to
go (let these shit-heads drown in their own mess), find a
new company, and continue the battle where the odds of winning
are better...thereby IMPROVING the chances that the battle
will be won at that site.

Remember...BAD MANAGEMENT has it's own special reward...
        it's called BANKRUPTCY.

Help your current employers reap their reward.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance...
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 00:38:21 -0400

Chad Myers wrote:

> "Chris Street" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Fri, 15 Jun 2001 19:45:22 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > >That wouldn't be in the midst of a presidential motorcade...would it...
> > >

> > On a grassy knoll....?
>
> Yet more examples of the sheep mentality of the mass-media brainwashed.
> Do you even listen to youselves talk? Mass exterminations of children
> are ok.

Uh...no...that's why Tim McVeigh blew up that Federal police building.

> Hell, let's go back in time and kill the people that disagree
> with our attrocities!
>
> Think for once, maybe it'll open your eyes.
>
> -c

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Win/userbase!
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 00:44:10 -0400

Tuomo Takkula wrote:

> > > Suggest you look up the meaning of the word. Then get a text book AI.
> > >

> > I did.  Back in the 1980's.  It was immediately obvious that ALL
> > AI at that time, was a load of crap.
> >

> > > I have.
> >

> > The ONLY AI method that has a reasonably good chance of performing
> > well, and ONLY on specific tasks...is, Neural Networking...which is
> > NOT a heuristic method.
>
> ??? what ???
>
> You let a NN learn for a while and obtain a system that can say YES or
> NO on given input. The reaons why the system chooses to say YES or NO
> are hidden in a usually large number of weights, which are the result
> of the learning process. There is no way whatsoever to find out
> afterwards what kind of decision 'algorithm' was learned, and no
> guarantee can be given that the system will not decide wrong on given
> input. The resulting system is _completely_ heuristical.
>
> The only thing you obtained by NN is a guessing method that has the
> property that under favourable circumstances the probabilities of
> correct guesses are a bit higher than average. If this is not a
> heuristic, then I don't know what is.

It depends on the problem.  As you stated above, the NN might
develop an actual algorithm.

Of course, it might NOT also.

What part of "ONLY ON SPECIFIC TASKS" did you not understand?

> > However, virus identification does not lend itself to an NN solution,
> > so...
> >

> ... and very little does.

very true.

> Cheers
> Tuomo
>
> __
> Chalmers University of Technology
> Computing Science
> Eklandagatan 86
> S-41296 Göteborg, Sweden
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> +46-31-772 1052 phone
> +46-31-165 655  fax
>
> ___
>    "Microsoft OS's are good because they encourage Intel to produce
>     faster CPUs for the rest of us to run Unix on."
>                                                          George Dau

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 00:46:25 -0400

Donn Miller wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
>
> > Where's Tim McVeigh when you need him?
>
> LOL. "Hey Tim, there's this big building in Redmond I want blown up."
> Of course, I only mean this in a comic sense; it wouldn't be funny at
> all in reality.

Funny? No

Poetic justice...yes.

Microsoft is a many-times-convicted criminal organization.

Which means..anybody who works for them, is KNOWINGLY working
for a criminal organization.

Now...what do you call people who aid and abet criminals?

That's right....they are criminals also.

As far as I'm concerned ANY AND ALL Microsoft employees should
be regarded as felons.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: tre@f <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust!
Date: 17 Jun 2001 21:05:54 -0700

says...

>Either way, you're trying to equate them,and your still wrong.

listen idiot: a PC is a tool.

get over it.

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 16:52:02 +1200

drsquare wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Jun 2001 23:49:25 +1200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  (Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>>>Most users don't know what EXE or ActiveX means.
>>>
>>Most people suffer from a bad case of "optimism bias".
>>

> Are you trying to make a point?

Yeap, Joe average thinks they will never be hit by a virus or any other
nasties, hence, the term, optimism bias applies to those people.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 16:59:58 +1200

drsquare wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Jun 2001 00:07:48 +1200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  (Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>

>>Here is one even better, been running Windows 2000 Pro for 2 years, no
>>virus scanner running or any other third party tools.  I have had no
>>virus's, cracks, hack's, or anyother shit.  I used to run Nutscrape
>>Scabpicker 4.77, now I am runing Mozilla 0.9.1. To get a virus, you
>>either have to be really, really, really unlucky, or fucking stupid.
>>

> Or unknowledgeable.

Most people I know, who have had viruses got them from downloading
warez/crackz/appz and phreaking tools. I stick to the straight and
narrow, hence, I donot get hit with shit in any cross fire that happens.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux
starts    getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 17:12:33 +1200

Chris Street wrote:

>>>Not sure - but I think everyone agreed that fighting on more fronts
>>>that is needed is a stupid move.
>>>

>>Just checked, yes it was Chancellor Bismark.  Had he remained in power,
>>the first world war would never have happened as the kaiser (William I)
>>would never have tried, "world politik", thus, "the balance of power",
>>with in Europe would never have been tipped.
>>
>>Matthew Gardiner
>>

> Bismarck was most certainly one of the most gifted statesmen ever as I
> recall. It's hard to imagine him getting his country into such a mess
> as the Kaiser did over such a flimsy excuse.
>

> 79.84% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
> The other 42% are made up later on.
> In Warwick - looking at flat fields and that includes the castle.

The kaiser, unfortunately chose nationalism and "International
Prestege", over the stability of Europe and security of Germany. Also,
as a spin off of that, Russia would have never had the revolution as
many of the hardships that the communists used as ammunition against the
tsar would never have existed.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: "Bracy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New BSD Advocacy site!
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 05:19:35 GMT

In article <9gjroh$2tg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Actually, the BSD camp has good reason to think that linux sucks...
>
> Because it does, in comparison to BSD.  :)

The very fact that the BSDs aren't GPL'ed makes them inferior to Linux.  If
Microsoft could  choose their enemy, they'd choose BSD, because they can
steal every line of code in it.

Bracy

------------------------------

From: "Bracy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Suse 7.2 is out.
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 05:22:50 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Charlie Ebert"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> That was the quickest release since 7.1 I've ever seen!

That was the ONLY release since 7.1 I've ever seen.

Bracy

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: So what software is the NYSE running ?
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 17:55:10 +1200

Sean Clarke wrote:

> In article <3b24e6a5$0$2687$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jon Johansan wrote:
>
>>"Dennis G. Allard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>>>"Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>>>
>>news:<84aU6.9834$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

>>and/or

>>>If they were running anything Microsoft, they would have crashes so much
>>>more often it would make this little down time look like a holiday!
>>>
>>You might want to consider that the NASDAQ runs MS for 90% of their
>>operation and has had 0. That's zero MS related downtime since their
>>adopting NT. They continue to convert their backend operations to W2K but
>>are not completed. This is not an operation you take lightly or race ahead
>>quickly but they are doing it. Converting from archiac Unix mainframes to
>>W2K servers.
>>

> I work for a bank building trading systems.
> For the backend  we use mostly HP-UX, Solaris
> and AIX with some Mainframe, the traders sit in front of NT boxes, but
> all the transactions are done on real "big-iron".
>
> By the way when you talk about "arcahaic UNIX mainframes", do you
> inckude HP Superdomes in that?.........

Well, according to Chad, anything older than 10 years old and has years
and years of proven reliability, uptime of years, not days, is archaic.
  Maybe he should get over is os-phobia.  I'm now using COBOL in my job
maintaining legacy systems, and doing quite nicely, thank you very much,
and these "big irons" have years of uptime, infact, most people don't
know how to reboot these big irons because it has never been necessary.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux penetration MUCH lower than previously claimed
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 17:59:51 +1200

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>

>>Until some of these OpenSource dorks understand that there geeky little
>>arguments get Linux nowhere, nothing will improve.  Atleast in the case
>>of SUN Solaris or IRIX, there is some structure to it. There is some
>>focus on where it should head for the next 5 years.  There are GNOME
>>developers not knowing what they need to do tomorrow!  As I have said,
>>until there is some REAL leadership within the opensource community, it
>>will never move forward onto the desktop.
>>

> I wouldn't say that quite this way, but I think I agree.
> Linux need to be more then just a kernel. Just having a kernel is nice. But
> there is only so much that you can do with it.
> A framework would be better. Something that all the distributions would use.
>
> I think that the minimum stuff that you need there is:
>
> Kernel
> Primitive GUI (widget level, not X level)
> Components
>
> That about what I can think of right now, feel free to add you additions.
> As a note, on Linux, the kernel handle a lot of functionality (Networking,
> frex) that I considered included there.

Improved networking. When copying files from CDROM to the hard disk, I
don't want my download speed to come to a crashing hault.

Matthew Gardiner