On Feb 28, 2015, at 16:29 22, Len Ovens <l...@ovenwerks.net> wrote:

> OSC is good because it is wide open... and bad because it is wide open. No
> two applications seem to use OSC commands that are the same as another.

Right.  It’s the ‘mechanism, but no policy’ conundrum all over again.

I have no particular beef against OSC or OCA.  However, there is already a
small multitude of AoIP control protocols out there (Dante, JetNet, LiveWire,
Q-Lan, WheatNet, …).  I don’t think that adding Yet Another Incompatible
Protocol is fundamentally going to improve this situation.  What would be far
more helpful would be a decent FOSS library for supporting one of the
quasi-dominant AoIP systems; something that could help push that system over
the top to make it the defacto industry standard.  Today, in the pro
audio/broadcasting space, there are really only two realistic contenders for
this role: LiveWire or Ravenna.  Pick one.

Cheers!

|  It is computed that eleven thousand persons have at several times   |
|  suffered death, rather than submit to break their eggs at the       |
|  smaller end.                                                        |
|                                     -- Jonathan Swift                |
|                                     "Gulliver's Travels"             |