Paul Davis wrote:

We've been talking about 'TEMPO' and 'TRANSPORT' and 'TICKS' and 'METER'
controls, which (honestly) kind of turns my stomach.  This is not what
controls are meant to be doing.  the answer strikes me in shadowy details:

Each host struct has a timeline member.  Plugins register with the host for
notification of ceratin things:
host->register_time_event(plugin, event, function);
events:
 TIME_TICKS	// call me on every tick edge
 TIME_TRANSPORT  // call me when a transport happens
 TIME_METER  // call me when the meter changes

this is the best suggestion so far. i love callbacks. note that
"meter" includes both tempo and time signature. you knew that, though.
i can't see anyone wanting to use TIME_TICKS.

--p

Callbacks do make sense here, I agree. You never know about the ticks, though. In film scoring, it's not uncommon
to nudge things around a tick or two here or there to enable audio events to sync up with the picture. I can see wanting
to chase audio on every tick in some very high resolution contexts like that. -dgm