On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 1:32 AM, david grant <d...@david-grant.com> wrote:
> Hugo, you told me how to mount a snapshot. Thank you, that works but you
> didn't tell me how to boot into it.

He also gave you the command to set the default subvolume/snapshot
used if you don't provide one:  "btrfs subvolume set-default <id>
<path>".  There's also a standard way to send mount options for the
root filesystem, which would allow you to use the mount options he
provided (which Anthony pointed out in his email).

> Anthony, I really hoped that you had provided the answer using grub but
> all combinations of your suggestions result in a boot failure with
> standard error message of unable to mount root because of of wrong fs
> type etc. I assume that with your suggestion I need a standard fstab
> entry with default options but it doesn't work even with subvol options.
> I am always nervous of messing with the MBR so I want to stick with
> grub.

He meant that you distribution uses an initial ram filesystem loaded
into memory with necessary modules, placed in the same place as the
kernel image that grub loads.  This is unrelated to the MBR.

> Perhaps this is a fedora problem but I have to say I find it very
> strange that they tout btrfs as the future, particularly with respect to
> rollbacks but provide no guide to doing this. I assume it is a
> combination of grub boot parameters and fstab but nobody seems to know
> what to do.

The future != the present.  Btrfs will make things like rollback easy
to implement, but it's not implemented yet in useful way for an
untechnical user.  The hard technical bits are over and done with by
the time there are guides on the various forums about "how to do
rollback with btrfs".

> I am not a techo so I just need simple instructions. Is there any other
> site, I should be posting this on?

Not to belabour the point, but a more careful reading of what people
told you would have gotten you up and running.  If those instructions
were too technical, then you probably shouldn't be using btrfs yet:
it's very much at a "some assembly required" stage, and if you don't
understand how your system boots at a basic-but-technical level,
you're either going to come away frustrated, or you're going to have
to learn at least some "linux administrator 101".  :)

Understand what the commands people are giving you actually do, and
you'll have this working in no time.

[sorry for sending this twice David, I consistently fail to hit "reply
to all" when replying to mailing lists]  :(