Thank you all for your help and in particular you cwillu (sounds
strangely formal!).

Yes, I can now boot into a snapshot but I thought it might be helpful to
explain why I thought otherwise.

I am totally anal about having backups of a current operating systems
and using those for testing I thought tat the best way to do this with
btrfs was to rsync the file system to another partition but exclude all
snapshots. This worked very well as long as I mounted only the root file
system of the copy but what I did was add snapshots to the copy and at
some point (probably at the start) the btree system was corrupted but I
only saw this on backtracking and checking all messages. Also, I didn't
want to boot from a snapshot of my working operating system for fear I
could screw things up and have to re-install from scratch.  In order to
try again, I deleted all snapshots from the original system, did an
rsync and checked the copy. I then made a snapshot of the copy via yum,
used rootflags and it worked!!

So, cwillu, after your scolding of me and your (perfectly reasonable)
questioning of my understanding, I did get it together for booting.

BUT I am still left with the problem that caused it for me: how do I
backup (clone?) a btrfs file system with snapshots to another btrfs
partition (apart from using dd). I just hope I don't get scolded again
and told I am not up to it.