On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 09:50:00AM -0500, Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:
> Hey, all.  I did a "convert" on my ext-3 system, and now I've got a monolithic
> btrfs volume.  I'd like to break / and /home into subvolumes.  /home is easy
> (I
> think): I just create a subvolume, and move stuff into it, and mount it.
> Done.
>  But how do I do that for root?  (Don't worry about the actual mounting, grub,
> etc.,; I have a different system that works the way I want it to.)

   The top level of the filesystem is itself a subvolume, so you could
just leave it like that.

   Alternatively, if you want the top level to be simply a container
for subvolumes (and to use a default subvolume to mount / ), then you
could do the switch-over by making a snapshot of your current /,
remounting with the snapshot as / (possibly using "btrfs sub
set-default"), and then mounting subvolid=0 on /media/btrfs-management
to delete the old contents of /

   (I hope that made sense)

   Hugo.

  --- "He's a nutcase, you know. There's no getting away from it -- ---
                     he'll end up with a knighthood"