On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 03:04:29AM +0700, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
> > On the Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB, and from talking to their tech support
> > and other folks who happened to have gotten that 'drive' at work and also
> > got weird unexplained failures, I'm convinced that even its latest 007
> > firmware (the firmware it shipped with would just hang the system for a few
> > seconds every so often so I did upgrade to 007 early on), the drive does
> > very poorly without TRIM when it's getting close to full.
>
> If you're going to edit the wiki, I'd suggest you say "SOME SSDs might
> need to use TRIM with dmcrypt". That's because some SSD controllers
> (e.g. sandforce) performs just fine without TRIM, and in my case TRIM
> made performance worse.

Right. I'm definitely planning on writing that it is controller dependent.

By the way, I read that SF performs worse with dmcrypt because:
http://superuser.com/questions/250626/sandforce-ssd-encryption-security-and-support
'Using software full-disk-encryption on an SSD seriously impacts the
performance of the drive - up to a point where it can be slower than a
regular hard disk.'
http://c089.wordpress.com/2011/02/28/encrypting-solid-state-disks/
http://www.madshrimps.be/articles/article/965#axzz1FGfzD15q

So, really, it seems that one should not buy a drive with a sandforce
controller if you plan to use dmcrypt.
I haven't found clear data to say which controllers other than sandforce
have the same problem.

https://docs.google.com/a/google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:eyoe3gL10qcJ:www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/file/product/ssd/SamsungSSD_Encryption_Benchmarks_201011.pdf+&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShHEj1jkxdwa7JREmubW6iAyc2RGqQt8MoGxMgQrRNDifoGqTYWjYdaUypnaRtkjKrjiOt1JCr4dDt4ycD2rjWO51PtAo67JvnZGe6Gx1s-9yjkRVYZWsUHZApkjm7dWVzkdQg6&sig=AHIEtbRaViqG4cYC_RYajAW04JRjNhQq6g
seems to imply that software encryption on samsung drives (which is what I
just got as a replacement for my crucial), does not have the same penalty
than you have with the SF controller.

But back to the point about "yes, it depends".

Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/