Am Samstag, 18. Februar 2012 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
[…]
> Am Montag, 13. Februar 2012 schrieb Marc MERLIN:

> > > If you want discards to be supported in dmcrypt, you have to enable
> > > it manually.
> > >
> > > The most comfortable way is just use recent cryptsetup and add
> > > --allow-discards option to luksOpen command.
> > >
> > > It will be never enabled by default in dmcrypt for security reasons
> > > http://asalor.blogspot.com/2011/08/trim-dm-crypt-problems.html
> >
> > Thanks for the answer.
> > I knew that it created some security problems but I had not yet found
> > the page you just gave, which effectively states that TRIM isn't
> > actually that big a win on recent SSDs (I thought it was actually
> > pretty important to use it on them until now).
>
> Well I find
>
> "On the other side, TRIM is usually overrated. Drive itself should keep
> good performance even without TRIM, either by using internal garbage
> collecting process or by some area reserved for optimal writes
> handling."
>
> a very, very weak statement on the matter, cause it lacks any links to
> any evidence for the statement made. For that I meant to knew up to
> know is that wear leaveling of the SSD can be more effective the more
> space the SSD controller/firmware can use for wear leveling freely.
> Thus when I give space back to the SSD via fstrim it has more space
> for wear leveling which should lead to more evenly distributed write
> pattterns and more evenly distributed write accesses to flash cells
> and thus a longer life time. I do not see any other means on how the
> SSD drive can do that data has been freed again except for it being
> overwritten, then the old write location can be freed of course. But
> then BTRFS does COW and thus when I understand this correctly, the SSD
> wouldn´t even be told when a file is overwritten, cause actually it
> isn´t, but is written to a new location. Thus especially for BTRFS I
> see even more reasons to use fstrim.

Hmmm, even with COW old data is overwritten eventually, cause especially
on SSDs free space might be sparse. So even when when overwriting a file or
some parts of it writes to a new location, at some time in the future
BTRFS will likely overwrite the old one.

So seen in that light, an occasional fstrim might just help to make free
space available sooner.

Heck, I find it so difficult to know whats best when SSD / flash is involved.

Thanks,