On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 7:13 PM, cwillu <cwi...@cwillu.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 7:02 PM, Roger Binns <rog...@rogerbinns.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 10/02/14 10:24, cwillu wrote:
>>> The regular df data used number should be the amount of space required
>>> to hold a backup of that content (assuming that the backup maintains
>>> reflinks and compression and so forth).
>>>
>>> There's no good answer for available space;
>>
>> I think the flipside of the above works well.  How large a group of files
>> can you expect to create before you will get ENOSPC?
>>
>> That for example is the check code does that looks at df - "I need to put
>> in XGB of files - will it fit?"  It is also what users do.
>
> But the answer changes dramatically depending on whether it's large
> numbers of small files or a small number of large files, and the
> conservative worst-case choice means we report a number that is half
> what is probably expected.

I don't think that is a problem, as long as the "avail guesstimate" is
conservative.

Scenario:
A user has 10G of files and df reports that there are 11G available.
I think the expectation is that copying these 10G into the filesystem
will not ENOSPC.
After the copy completes, whether the new avail number is ==1G or >>1G
is less important IMHO.

I.e. I like to see df output as a "you can write AT LEAST this much
more data until the filesystem is full".

That was my 5 cent.