On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 09:33:17AM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > The size of global block reserve should be IMO subtracted from 'avail',
> > this reports the space as free, but is in fact not.
>
> How much global block reserve is there? Does that explain why I can't
> use the last 270G of my 19TB btrfs?

The size is dynamically adjusted according to the current fs usage, but
is not larger than 512MB. I don't think it's related to the issue you
are observing.

> > The "used" amount of the global reserve might be included into
> > filesystem 'used', but I've observed the global reserve used for short
> > periods of time under some heavy stress, I'm convinced it needs to be
> > accounted in the df report.
>
> As a comparison the ext2/3/4 filesystem has a % reserved for root and
> does not show this in available. So you get filesystem with 0 bytes
> free but root can still write to them.
>
> I would argue that available should not include the reserve. It is not
> available for normal operations, right?

This is different from the ext2 reserve for root, it's a reserved space
for certain internal filesystem operations or as an emergency pool, eg.
when one wants to delete files from a full filesystem.