Am Sun, 20 Jul 2014 12:22:33 +0200
schrieb Marc Joliet <mar...@gmx.de>:

[...]
> I'll try this and see, but I think I have more files >1GB than would account
> for this error (which comes towards the end of the balance when only a few
> chunks are left).  I'll see what "find /mnt -type f -size +1G" finds :) .

Now that I think about it, though, it sounds like it could explain the sudden
surge in total data size: for one very big file, several chunks/extents are
created, but the data cannot be copied from the original ext4 extent.

So far, the above find command has only found a few handful of files (plus all
the reflinks in the snapshots), much to my surprise. It still has one subvolume
to go through, though.

And just for completeness, that same find command didn't find any files on /,
which I also converted from ext4, and for which a full balance completed
successfully.  So maybe this is in the right direction, but I'll wait and see
what Chris Murphy (or anyone else) might find in my latest dmesg output.

--
Marc Joliet
don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup