On 20/07/14 14:59, Duncan wrote:
Marc Joliet posted on Sun, 20 Jul 2014 12:22:33 +0200 as excerpted:

On the other hand, the wiki [0] says that defragmentation (and
balancing) is optional, and the only reason stated for doing either is
because they "will have impact on performance".
Yes.  That's what threw off the other guy as well.  He decided to skip it
for the same reason.

If I had a wiki account I'd change it, but for whatever reason I tend to
be far more comfortable writing list replies, sometimes repeatedly, than
writing anything on the web, which I tend to treat as read-only.  So I've
never gotten a wiki account and thus haven't changed it, and apparently
the other guy with the problem and anyone else that knows hasn't changed
it either, so the conversion page still continues to underemphasize the
importance of completing the conversion steps, including the defrag, in
proper order.

I've inserted information specific to this in the wiki. Others with wiki accounts, feel free to review:
https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Conversion_from_Ext3#Before_first_use