On Oct 27, 2014, at 9:56 AM, Jasper Verberk <jverb...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> These are the results to a normal df:
>
> http://paste.debian.net/128932/
>
> The mountpoint is /data.

OK so this is with the new computation in kernel 3.17 (which I think contains a
bug by counting free space twice); so now it shows available blocks based on
the loss due to mirroring or parity. So 1k blocks 5860533168 = 5.45TiB. If you
boot an older kernel my expectation is this shows up as 10.91TiB. In any case,
df says there's 1.77TiB worth of data, so there should be plenty of space.

Somewhere there's a bug. Either the 'btrfs fi df' is insufficiently
communicating whether the desired operation can be done, or there's actual
kernel confusion on how much space is available to do the conversion.

I wonder what happens if you go back to kernel 3.16 and try do do the
conversion?

Chris Murphy--