Am Fri, 23 Jan 2015 04:34:19 +0000 (UTC)
schrieb Duncan <1i5t5.dun...@cox.net>:

> Gareth Pye posted on Fri, 23 Jan 2015 08:58:08 +1100 as excerpted:
>
> > What are the chances that splitting all the large files up into sub gig
> > pieces, finish convert, then recombine them all will work?

[...]
> Option 2: Since new files should be created using the desired target mode
> (raid1 IIRC), you may actually be able to move them off and immediately
> back on, so they appear as new files and thus get created in the desired
> mode.  Of course the success here depends on how many you have to move
> vs. the amount of free space available that will be used when you do so,
> but with enough space, it should "just work".
>
> Note that with this method, if the files are small enough to entirely fit
> one-at-a-time or a-few-at-a-time in memory (I have 16 gig RAM, for
> instance, and don't tend to use more than a gig or two for apps, so could
> in theory do 12-14 gig at a time for this), you can even use a tmpfs as
> the temporary storage before moving them back to the target filesystem.
> That should be pretty fast since the one side is all memory.

With current coreutils, wouldn't that also work if he moves the files to
another (temporary) subvolume? (And with future coreutils, by copying the files
without using reflinks and then removing the originals.)

[...]
--
Marc Joliet
don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup