Yeah, copying them all back on has gone event free, now running some
balance passes to clear up the 310G of slack allocation.

I did realize that something I'd claimed earlier wasn't true: there
were 3 files larger than a gig in the apt mirror snapshots, so large
files in snapshots could have been contributing to the issue (If I'd
realized that before moving all the large files off I'd have tried
moving just those few off)

Thank you all for your help. This file systems possibilities do excite
me, the future is bright.

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 5:20 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.dun...@cox.net> wrote:
> Gareth Pye posted on Tue, 27 Jan 2015 14:24:03 +1100 as excerpted:
>
>> Have gone with the move stuff off then finish convert plan. Convert has
>> now finished and I'm 60% of the way through moving all the big files
>> back on.
>>
>> Thanks for the help guys.
>
> Glad the big-file-move-off seems to have worked for you, and thanks for
> confirming that moving them off did indeed solve your conversion
> blockers.  Evidently btrfs still has a few rough spots to iron out when
> it comes to those big files. =:^(
>
> Please confirm when all big files are moved back on, too, just to be sure
> there's nothing unexpected on that side, but based on the conversion-from-
> ext* reports, I expect it to be smooth sailing.  Btrfs really does have a
> problem with large files existing in large enough extents that it can't
> really handle them properly, and once they are off the filesystem
> temporarily, generally even moved off and back on, it does seem to break
> up the log jam (well, in this case huge-extent-jam =:^) and you're back
> in business! =:^)
>
> --
> Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
> "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
> and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman
>
> --

Gareth Pye
Level 2 MTG Judge, Melbourne, Australia
"Dear God, I would like to file a bug report"