Thanks Kristan, a scrub would be great; mine appeared to be working
fine until the scrub (although I hadn't yet run a balance on it so who
knows).

I might move my 8TB onto the motherboard controller and see if the
situation improves. Will update here tonight.

Cheers, W.

On 12 October 2015 at 11:53, Kristan <kris...@bekus.id.au> wrote:
> Warren Hughes <wsh <at> warrenhughes.net> writes:
>

>> Hi guys, just added a new Seagate Archive 8TB drive to my BTRFS volume
>> and I'm getting a tonne of errors when balancing or scrubbing.
>>
>> A short smartctl test reports fine, running a long one now. Will also
>> run seatools from a bootable DOS USB while at work today.
>>
>> Running latest firmware on my 9240-8i which explicitly supports this
> drive.
>>
>> I'm finding it very hard to tell if SMR drives are OK with BTRFS
>> currently - anyone chime in?
>>
>> Thanks, Warren
>>
>> [wsh <at> cloud storcli]$ uname -a
>> Linux cloud.warrenhughes.net 4.1.10-2-lts #1 SMP Wed Oct 7 21:57:44
>> CEST 2015 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>
>> [wsh <at> cloud storcli]$ sudo btrfs version
>> btrfs-progs v4.2.1
>>
>> [wsh <at> cloud ~]$ sudo btrfs scrub status /mnt/media
>> scrub status for 643c3145-8371-4011-8c34-20240e1bbaff
>>         scrub started at Sun Oct 11 20:37:38 2015 and was aborted
> after 10:35:47
>>         total bytes scrubbed: 8.15TiB with 104218141 errors
>>         error details: read=98736175 csum=5481966
>>         corrected errors: 5484382, uncorrectable errors: 98733759,
>> unverified errors: 0
>>
>> [/dev/sdo].write_io_errs   100154203
>> [/dev/sdo].read_io_errs    98735251
>> [/dev/sdo].flush_io_errs   634
>> [/dev/sdo].corruption_errs 5481966
>> [/dev/sdo].generation_errs 0
>>

> hi Warren,
>
> I recently (last week) built a 3 disk RAID 5 array using the same 8TB
> drives which worked fine holding ~12TB then added a 4th disk using a
> JMicron PCI SATA controller. I then ran a balance which failed after
> just over 1TB written to the 4th disk. This caused the entire array to
> fail but the main difference to your scenario was that the 4th disk also
> wasn't reporting to SMART properly.
> I then moved all 4 disks onto the motherboard based SATA controller,
> built the array fresh and have copied ~18TB onto it and it seems to be
> working fine. Perhaps I should try a scrub and see :)
>
> I'm using Centos 7.1 but kernel 4.2.1-ml and btrfs-progs 4.2.2
> Kristan
>
> --

Warren Hughes
+64 21 633324
IM: gtalk + msn: this email address, skype: akawsh