Hi Warren,

from your dmesg I see:
Oct 10 07:42:36 cloud.warrenhughes.net kernel: scsi 0:0:1:0:
Direct-Access     ATA      ST8000AS0002-1NA AR13 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
Oct 10 07:42:36 cloud.warrenhughes.net kernel: sd 0:0:1:0: [sdb]
15628053168 512-byte logical blocks: (8.00 TB/7.27 TiB)

Oct 11 23:57:56 cloud.warrenhughes.net kernel: scsi 0:0:1:0:
Direct-Access     ATA      ST8000AS0002-1NA AR13 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
Oct 11 23:57:56 cloud.warrenhughes.net kernel: sd 0:0:1:0: [sdo]
15628053168 512-byte logical blocks: (8.00 TB/7.27 TiB)

and looking at this spec:
http://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/product-content/hdd-fam/seagate-archive-hdd/en-us/docs/archive-hdd-dS1834-3-1411us.pdf

it seems that it is a drive-managed SMR disk. I am not sure why David
assumes it is host-managed, maybe drive firmware/functionality can be
bypassed.

As far as I can see, the drive should not have a problem with btrfs as
such, but I read quite worrying stories w.r.t. raid. I think the write
characteristics of the balance operation, in combination with the
connection via the LSI controller, are not really compatible with
'archive' use case of the drive. 'Simple', 'relaxed' write operation
should be OK, but beyond that, it might fail. See also:
http://www.storagereview.com/seagate_archive_hdd_review_8tb

How much data is already on the drive? Is it an option to mount with
skip_balance and try to remove the device and then do some tests on it
in single independent mode?

/Henk