On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 7:24 AM, Austin S. Hemmelgarn
<ahferro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you have software that actually depends on atimes, then that software is
> broken (and yes, I even feel this way about Mutt).  The way atimes are
> implemented on most systems breaks the semantics that almost everyone
> expects from them, because they get updated for anything that even looks
> sideways at the inode from across the room.  Most software that uses them
> expects them to answer the question 'When were the contents of this file
> last read?', but they can get updated even for stuff like calculating file
> sizes, listing directory contents, or modifying the file's metadata.

This Jonathan Corbet article still applies:
http://lwn.net/Articles/397442/

What a mess!

Hey. The 5 year anniversary was in July. Wanna bring it up again, Austin? Haha.
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.cifs/294

Users want file creation time. Specifically, an immutable time for
that file that persists across file system copies. The time of its
first occurrence on a particular volume is not useful information.
Getting that requires what seems to be an unlikely consensus.

--
Chris Murphy