On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 4:26 PM, Roman Mamedov <r...@romanrm.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 16:13:28 +0200
> Henk Slager <eye...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> (your email keeps ending up in gmail spam folder)
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 9:24 AM, sri <toyours_srid...@yahoo.co.in> wrote:
>> > I tried btrfs-image and created image file and ran btrfs-image -r to a
>> > different disk. Once recovered and mounted, I can able to see data is
>> > not zeroed out as mentioned in btrfs-image man page.
>>
>> "different disk"  you mention, that is important info. If you doe the
>> restore to a image file, that image file is sparse and all data blocks
>> are read as zeros.
>>
>> However, if you restore to a block device, then you can assume it just
>> writes the device blocks for metadata and leaves the rest untouched.
>> So trim whole device first or brute-force overwrite completely with
>> zeros.
>>
>> So maybe the man pages needs some correction / extra notes.
>>
>> > I tried on same machine.
>
> Does btrfs-image store/restore the FS UUID? If it does, then potentially both
> the source FS and the restored one were visible at the same time to the kernel
> with identical UUIDs, and maybe it was actually accessing/mounting the source
> one.

Very good point! The UUID's are the same. I remember I used a VM to
separate the source FS from the restored FS

Also, the assumption I made about restoring to a block device is not
correct: If you restore to a loopdev that has a file with all
non-zeros as backing-store, the files in the mounted restored FS are
read as zeros.