I formatted the partition and copied the content of my previous rootfs to it. There is no dmcrypt now and mount options are defaults, except for noatime. After a single boot I got the very same problem as before (fs corrupted and an infinite loop when doing btrfs check --repair.

I wanted to replicate results and so I tried once again and since then I only experienced minor corruption, correctly resolved by repair. But during a pacaman upgrade, which triggered snapper pre-post snapshots, the system hanged and I found this in the logs:

mag 06 10:31:15 arch-laptop plasmashell[873]: requesting unexisting screen 2 mag 06 10:31:18 arch-laptop dbus[418]: [system] Activating service name='org.opensuse.Snapper' (using servicehelper) mag 06 10:31:18 arch-laptop dbus[418]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.opensuse.Snapper'
mag 06 10:31:20 arch-laptop kernel: ------------[ cut here ]------------
mag 06 10:31:20 arch-laptop kernel: kernel BUG at fs/btrfs/ctree.h:2693!

Still no major corruption found since my second attempt.

Niccolò