On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 10:32:25PM +0800, Anand Jain wrote:

> >> How does 2 disks RAID5 work ?
> >One disk is your data, the other is your parity.
>

> >In essence, it works
> >like a really computationally expensive version of RAID1 with 2 disks,
> >which is why it's considered a degenerate configuration.
>
>    How do you generate parity with only one data ?

   For plain parity calculations, parity is the value p which solves
the expression:

x_1 XOR x_2 XOR ... XOR x_n XOR p = 0

for corresponding bits in the n data volumes. With one data volume,
n=1, and hence p = x_1.

   What's the problem? :)

   Hugo.

--
Hugo Mills             | I always felt that as a C programmer, I was becoming
hugo@... carfax.org.uk | typecast.