On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 8:30 PM, Hugo Mills <h...@carfax.org.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 10:32:25PM +0800, Anand Jain wrote:

About a year ago I had a raid5 array in an disk upgrade situation from
5x 2TB to 4x 4TB. As intermediate I had 2x 2TB + 2x 4TB situation for
several weeks. The 2x 2TB were getting really full and the fs was
slow. just wondering if an enospc would happen, I started an filewrite
task doing several 100 GB's and it simply did work to my surprise. At
some point, chunks only occupying the 4TB disks must have been
created. I also saw the expected write rate on the 4TB disks. CPU load
was not especially high as far as I remember, like a raid1 fs as far
as I remember.

So it is good that in such a situation, one can still use the fs. I
don't remember how the allocated/free space accounting was, probably
not correct, but I did not fill up the whole fs to see/experience
that.

I have no strong opinion whether we should warn about amount of
devices at mkfs time for raid56. It's just that the other known issues
with raid56 draw more attention.