Martin Steigerwald wrote:
Am Sonntag, 11. September 2016, 13:21:30 CEST schrieb Zoiled:
Martin Steigerwald wrote:
Am Sonntag, 11. September 2016, 10:55:21 CEST schrieb Waxhead:
I have been following BTRFS for years and have recently been starting to
use BTRFS more and more and as always BTRFS' stability is a hot topic.
Some says that BTRFS is a dead end research project while others claim
the opposite.
First off: On my systems BTRFS definately runs too stable for a research
project. Actually: I have zero issues with stability of BTRFS on *any* of
my systems at the moment and in the last half year.

The only issue I had till about half an year ago was BTRFS getting stuck
at
seeking free space on a highly fragmented RAID 1 + compress=lzo /home.
This
went away with either kernel 4.4 or 4.5.

Additionally I never ever lost even a single byte of data on my own BTRFS
filesystems. I had a checksum failure on one of the SSDs, but BTRFS RAID 1
repaired it.

Where do I use BTRFS?

1) On this ThinkPad T520 with two SSDs. /home and / in RAID 1, another
data
volume as single. In case you can read german, search blog.teamix.de for
BTRFS.

2) On my music box ThinkPad T42 for /home. I did not bother to change / so
far and may never to so for this laptop. It has a slow 2,5 inch harddisk.

3) I used it on Workstation at work as well for a data volume in RAID 1.
But workstation is no more (not due to a filesystem failure).

4) On a server VM for /home with Maildirs and Owncloud data. /var is still
on Ext4, but I want to migrate it as well. Whether I ever change /, I
don´t know.

5) On another server VM, a backup VM which I currently use with
borgbackup.
With borgbackup I actually wouldn´t really need BTRFS, but well…

6) On *all* of my externel eSATA based backup harddisks for snapshotting
older states of the backups.
In other words, you are one of those who claim the opposite :) I have
also myself run btrfs for a "toy" filesystem since 2013 without any
issues, but this is more or less irrelevant since some people have
experienced data loss thanks to unstable features that are not clearly
marked as such.
And making a claim that you have not lost a single byte of data does not
make sense, how did you test this? SHA256 against a backup? :)
Do you have any proof like that with *any* other filesystem on Linux?

No, my claim is a bit weaker: BTRFS own scrubbing feature and well no I/O
errors on rsyncing my data over to the backup drive - BTRFS checks checksum on
read as well –, and yes I know BTRFS uses a weaker hashing algorithm, I think
crc32c. Yet this is still more than what I can say about *any* other
filesystem I used so far. Up to my current knowledge neither XFS nor Ext4/3
provide data checksumming. They do have metadata checksumming and I found
contradicting information on whether XFS may support data checksumming in the
future, but up to now, no *proof* *whatsoever* from side of the filesystem
that the data is, what it was when I saved it initially. There may be bit
errors rotting on any of your Ext4 and XFS filesystem without you even
noticing for *years*. I think thats still unlikely, but it can happen, I have
seen this years ago after restoring a backup with bit errors from a hardware
RAID controller.

Of course, I rely on the checksumming feature within BTRFS – which may have
errors. But even that is more than with any other filesystem I had before.

And I do not scrub daily, especially not the backup disks, but for any scrubs
up to now, no issues. So, granted, my claim has been a bit bold. Right now I
have no up-to-this-day scrubs so all I can say is that I am not aware of any
data losses up to the point in time where I last scrubbed my devices. Just
redoing the scrubbing now on my laptop.
The way I see it BTRFS is the best filesystem we got so far. It is also the first (to my knowledge) that provides checksums of both data and metadata. My point was simply that such an extraordinary claim require some evidence. I am not saying it is unlikely that you have never lost a byte, I am just saying that it is a fantastic thing to claim.
The Debian wiki for BTRFS (which is recent by the way) contains a bunch
of warnings and recommendations and is for me a bit better than the
official BTRFS wiki when it comes to how to decide what features to use.
Nice page. I wasn´t aware of this one.

If you use BTRFS with Debian, I suggest to usually use the recent backport
kernel, currently 4.6.

Hmmm, maybe I better remove that compress=lzo mount option. Never saw any
issue with it, tough. Will research what they say about it.
My point exactly: You did not know about this and hence the risk of your
data being gnawed on.
Well I do follow BTRFS mailinglist to some extent and I recommend anyone who
uses BTRFS in production to do this. And: So far I see no data loss from using
that option and for me personally it is exactly that what counts. J

Still: An information on what features are stable with what version of kernel
and btrfs-progrs is important. I totally agree with that and there is not the
slighted need to discuss about it.

But also just saying: I wasn´t aware is no excuse either. BTRFS is not
officially declared fully production ready. Just read this:

https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page#Stability_status

It just talks about the disk format being stable and a bit cowardly avoids any
statement regarding production stability. If I´d read this, I´d think: Okay, I
may use this, but I better check back more closely and be prepared to upgrade
kernels and read BTRFS mailinglist.

That said, the statement avoids clarity to some extent and I think it would be
better for formulate it in a clearer way.

Regarding the stability status it can give a false impression that if for example if feature XYZ was introduced 5-6 kernel releases back it is stable and good to go which may or may not be the case. Yes it indicates that btrfs is stabilizing , but as you said it is not very precise.
The Nouveau graphics driver have a nice feature matrix on it's webpage
and I think that BTRFS perhaps should consider doing something like that
on it's official wiki as well
BTRFS also has a feature matrix. The links to it are in the "News" section
however:

https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Changelog#By_feature
I disagree, this is not a feature / stability matrix. It is a clearly a
changelog by kernel version.
It is a *feature* matrix. I fully said its not about stability, but about
implementation – I just wrote this a sentence after this one. There is no need
whatsoever to further discuss this as I never claimed that it is a feature /
stability matrix in the first place.
Ok I was a bit unclear... it is a feature matrix , but not a feature + stability matrix.
My mistake - sorry about that.
Thing is: This just seems to be when has a feature been implemented
matrix.
Not when it is considered to be stable. I think this could be done with
colors or so. Like red for not supported, yellow for implemented and
green for production ready.
Exactly, just like the Nouveau matrix. It clearly shows what you can
expect from it.

Another hint you can get by reading SLES 12 releasenotes. SUSE dares to
support BTRFS since quite a while – frankly, I think for SLES 11 SP 3 this
was premature, at least for the initial release without updates, I have a
VM that with BTRFS I can break very easily having BTRFS say it is full,
while it is has still 2 GB free. But well… this still seems to happen for
some people according to the threads on BTRFS mailing list.

SUSE doesn´t support all of BTRFS. They even put features they do not
support behind a "allow_unsupported=1" module option:

https://www.suse.com/releasenotes/x86_64/SUSE-SLES/12/#fate-314697

But they even seem to contradict themselves by claiming they support RAID
0, RAID 1 and RAID10, but not RAID 5 or RAID 6, but then putting RAID
behind that module option – or I misunderstood their RAID statement

"Btrfs is supported on top of MD (multiple devices) and DM (device mapper)
configurations. Use the YaST partitioner to achieve a proper setup.
Multivolume Btrfs is supported in RAID0, RAID1, and RAID10 profiles in
SUSE
Linux Enterprise 12, higher RAID levels are not yet supported, but might
be
enabled with a future service pack."

and they only support BTRFS on MD for RAID. They also do not support
compression yet. They even do not support big metadata.

https://www.suse.com/releasenotes/x86_64/SUSE-SLES/12/#fate-317221

Interestingly enough RedHat only supports BTRFS as a technology preview,
even with RHEL 7.
I would much rather prefer to rely on the btrfs wiki as the source and
not distro's ideas about what is reliable or not. The Debian wiki is
nice, but there should honestly not be any need for it if the btrfs wiki
had the relevant information.
See, this is what you prefer. And then there is reality.

It seems reality doesn´t match what you prefer. You can now spend time
complaining about this, or… offer your help to improve the situation.
I do not intend to be hostile. This depends on how you view the my mail and how you interpret my response. Regardless if you consider my mail to be a complaint or not the intention is to of course improve the situation and my posting to the mailing list I hope to do exactly that.

If you choose the complaining path, I am out, and rather spend my time
enjoying to use BTRFS as I do. Maybe reviewing that compress=lzo thing.

As I first read your subject "Is stability a joke?" I wondered whether to even
answer this. Fortunately your post has been a bit more than this complaint.
The subject was chosen for the following reason:
I like BTRFS and think the filesystem is fantastic. Many of the issues people run into are on older kernels, and the BTRFS wiki is not very clear on the stability stuff. Ergo should not the stability of the filesystem be taken a bit more seriously from a documentation point of view?
And trust me, I have been there. I complained myself about stability here. And
I found that it didn´t help my cause very much.

For example something along the lines of .... (the statuses are taken
our of thin air just for demonstration purposes)
I´d say feel free to work with the feature matrix already there and fill
in
information about stability. I think it makes sense tough to discuss first
on how to do it with still keeping it manageable.
I am afraid the changelog is not a stability/status feature matrix as
you yourself have mentioned, but absolutely I could have edited the wiki
and see what happened :)
I think what would be a good next step would be to ask developers / users
about feature stability and then update the wiki. If thats important to you, I
suggest you invest some energy in doing that. And ask for help. This
mailinglist is a good idea.

I already gave you my idea on what works for me.

There is just one thing I won´t go further even a single step: The complaining
path. As it leads to no desirable outcome.

Thanks,
My intention was not to be hostile and if my response sound a bit harsh for you then by all means I do apologize for that. I pointed out what I felt needed improvements and I did also supply a example of how to improve it. I am sorry, but I do not myself see any part of my mail that come off as complaining. It may have been unnecessary for me to point out your "did not loose a single byte" claim as this was obviously more a figure of speech and if this felt a bit hostile , I'm sorry about that. I hope that I with this this cleared up any potential confusion. Have a still nice day Sir :)