Am Sonntag, 11. September 2016, 14:39:14 CEST schrieb Waxhead:
> Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> > I mentioned this matrix as a good *starting* point. And I think it would
> > be
> > easy to extent it:
> >
> > Just add another column called "Production ready". Then research / ask
> > about production stability of each feature. The only challenge is: Who is
> > authoritative on that? I´d certainly ask the developer of a feature, but
> > I´d also consider user reports to some extent.
> >
> > Maybe thats the real challenge.
> >
> > If you wish, I´d go through each feature there and give my own estimation.
> > But I think there are others who are deeper into this.
>
> That is exactly the same reason I don't edit the wiki myself. I could of
> course get it started and hopefully someone will correct what I write,
> but I feel that if I start this off I don't have deep enough knowledge
> to do a proper start. Perhaps I will change my mind about this.

Well one thing would be to start with the column and start filling the more
easy stuff. And if its not known since what kernel version, but its known to
be stable I suggest to conservatively just put the first kernel version into
it where people think it is stable or in doubt even put 4.7 into it. It can
still be reduced to lower kernel versions.

Well: I made a tiny start. I linked "Features by kernel version" more
prominently on the main page, so it is easier to find and also added the
following warning just above the table:

"WARNING: The "Version" row states at which version a feature has been merged
into the mainline kernel. It does not tell anything about at which kernel
version it is considered mature enough for production use."

Now I wonder: Would adding a "Production ready" column, stating the first
known to be stable kernel version make sense in this table? What do you think?
I can add the column and give some first rough, conservative estimations on a
few features.

What do you think? Is this a good place?

Thanks,
--
Martin