On 01/22/2017 11:39 PM, Hugo Mills wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 11:35:49PM +0100, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
>> On Sun, 2017-01-22 at 22:22 +0100, Jan Vales wrote:
>>> Therefore my question: whats the status of raid5/6 is in btrfs?
>>> Is it somehow "production"-ready by now?
>> AFAIK, what's on the - apparently already no longer updated -
>> https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Status still applies, and
>> RAID56 is not yet usable for anything near production.
>
>    It's still all valid. Nothing's changed.
>
>    How would you like it to be updated? "Nope, still broken"?
>
>    Hugo.

As the changelog stops at 4.7 the wiki seemed a little dead - "still
broken as of $(date)" or something like that would be nice ^.^

Also some more exact documentation/definition of btrfs' raid-levels
would be cool, as they seem to mismatch traditional raid-levels - or at
least I as an ignorant user fail to understand them...

Correct me, if im wrong...
* It seems, raid1(btrfs) is actually raid10, as there are no more than 2
copies of data, regardless of the count of devices.
** Is there a way to duplicate data n-times?
** If there are only 3 devices and the wrong device dies... is it dead?
* Whats the diffrence of raid1(btrfs) and raid10(btrfs)?
** After reading like 5 diffrent wiki pages, I understood, that there
are diffrences ... but not what they are and how they affect me :/
* Whats the diffrence of raid0(btrfs) and "normal" multi-device
operation which seems like a traditional raid0 to me?

Maybe rename/alias raid-levels that do not match traditional
raid-levels, so one cannot expect some behavior that is not there.
The extreme example is imho raid1(btrfs) vs raid1.
I would expect that if i have 5 btrfs-raid1-devices, 4 may die and btrfs
should be able to fully recover, which, if i understand correctly, by
far does not hold.
If you named that raid-level say "george" ... I would need to consult
the docs and I obviously would not expect any behavior. :)

regards,
Jan Vales
--
I only read plaintext emails.